Summer Of Lager | Cisco Brewers Inc.

good
Read the review
Summer Of LagerSummer Of Lager

Cisco Brewers Inc.
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Czech Pilsener

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 96 | Ratings: 305
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

Serving size: 750ml bottle.

Poured a medium golden color with a large sized white head. Aromas of citrus, yeasty, and grains. Tastes of tart lemons, other citrus, some what fruity, and bready. For me, the body was a little on the thinner side.

Notes from and tasted on: 03/12/08.

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

A: hazy gold with high carbonation rising to a 2+ finger white head

S: lemon, grassy, lightly toasted grain and faint pepper

T: follows the aroma. grains, husk and a hop bite

M: very crisp, refreshing with a light-moderate body and fantastic carbonation. ends a little dry

D: I could drink this all day. A helluva lager.

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

I got this brew in a trade with corey0212. Thanks Corey!

22oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - cloudy, golden yellow color with a big head of white foam bubbles that left a sheeting of lace behind.

S - earthy, malty sweetness.

T - heavy malt flavor most of the way with a gentle touch of bitterness on the finish.

F - medium bodied with a good carbonation feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy.

3.21/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours a transparent light gold color, soapy-white head, and lots of sticky lacing. Crazy-active carbonation is putting on a show in the glass. Sort of a lemony/earthy quality to the nose on this beer, a little on the sour side. Taste is nice...a good, clean and moderately bitter hop presence. Maybe a tiny bit of green apple in the taste, too. Really good mouthfeel, bubbles almost feel "cleansing", in a way. Goes down smooth. I like it. Not my favorite Cisco beer at all (and I'm a BIG fan!), but I'm glad I tried it, and it's worth checking out.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a hazy golden with a huge fluffy white head. Smells of lager yeast and wildflower honey as well as a hint of some Belgian yeast notes as well. The taste is quite interesting, with a lager yeast background but then strong notes of the wildflower honey as well. Floral, sweet, and slightly waxy. Some bitterneess at the end. Still picking up some Belgian notes of clove, banana, and candi sugar but it is only relatively faint. Mouthfeel is full and creamy. This was given to me by a bouncer after being confiscated at a concert, and it was quite a bit better than I thought it would be.

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving 750ml bottle

Summer of Lager exhibits a pale golden body sporting a churing column of medium sized bubbles that slowly march toward a thin bone-white foamy cap resting just below an abundant collection of sticky white late.

The highly aromatic nose is reminiscent of a belgian pale ale more than a summer lager boasting redolences of spicy yeast, restrained sour apple, heady pale malts, acidic citrus rind, mild floral hops and a hint of tannic white wine.

Spicy yeast, sour citrus fruit, and white grape tannins dominate through to the off-dry finish revealing bready pale malt and dry spice.

Overall mouthfeel is quite fine for a summer seasonal displaying a light to medium body and light finish and refreshing character.

Overpowering sour and acid flavors as well as a higher than normal alcohol content dash any hopes of this being a blockbuster summer seasonal or a session beer. Drinkability is average at best. Overall, this is a solid brew good for a one time experience, though it could be closer to the attempted style with a bit more depth and character.

Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

This is going to be a tough review. I dont know this style at all, what I do know is what I have is what I read in the BA explanation. Lets just say, I dont know where to begin.

Ive decided to give this beer a 4.15. Im going to try and average it out this way. This intro is in hindsight, as I have no concept of this style. However, as you (if you) read my review, you hopefully will appreciate the ranking of a style I know nothing about.

Looks unfiltered, though not exactly. Some head, typical stayingu power of an ale, much more than an expected lager. Is that grapefruit I smell? Dont get me wrong, but do I smell sea water? Not sea water in a bad way, but in a good way that I cant explain.

Citrus, wheat lager. Thats what I got. Biting of a lager, sweet citrus, and that unfiltered aspect of a wheat. Very interesting. No ale in this brew. No real hops to speak of.

Alcoholic for a lager. Im drinking this colder that most brews, I think it was a good choice. Im not the biggest lager fan, but this may be the funnest lager Ive tried.

Makes me think of a seasonal lager. Do you know a seasonal lager not named a winter? Maybe marzen like but not of the same kin.

Very drinkable. I would love to find this on draft, however unlikely that would be. I highly recommend one of these bombers to any one who considers themselves a true beer fan.

drink on

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured a light copper hue with a two and a half finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and sticky lacing.

The smell featured a spicy aromatic noble hop and a soft husky grain aroma.

The taste consisted of an upfront hop spiciness but quickly soften by virtue of the creamy doughy malts.

The mouthfeel was light yet creamy.

Overall a very nice Munich Helles. Solid ABV and very drinkable. Not the ideal summer beer, but tasty nonetheless.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Originally reviewed on June 2, 2006. 750 mL Bottle. Rich aroma as lemons and watermelons. Nice slightly tinged metallic floral hops. Tart and sweet aromaticity. Pour of elysian gold, with a rim of white. Flavor is heavily herbed, sweet golden malts, with sweet phenolics on the rested grains. Deliciate and lightly floral. Having trouble digging out the characters, but this is rich and nicely bodied for a generally lighter styled beer. Nice and clean, and exemplary for the style. Hints of lemon juice. White pepper cracked over. Wafts of epazote. Some light dryness, but hops really don’t play too much. Great body. Light tinge of indiscriminate hops and a good fresh malt sweetness in the end. Corn syrup smack. Great.

2.54/5  rDev -32.6%

Surprisingly cloudy yellow-gold body, like pulpy orange juice. Huge white head fills half of my hourglass pilsner glass, with a whip cream finish above the rim. Looks like its going to lace extremely well.

Bready, yeasty aroma, with a hint of pepper ?

Taste begins lighty sweet, but finishes with a strong dash of lemon-orange sour twang, with a mild hop bite in-between.

Suitable light/medium mouthfeel. Drinkability suffers from the finishing citrus sour note.

It seems more ale-ish than lager-ish. Maybe an alright summer beer, but if you're looking for a classic helles, this is not it.

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: pours a golden color with a 1/2" head that lasts a while. Some spotty lacing develops.

Smell: tart green apples and citrus are detectable.

Taste: bready malt, butter, green apples, honey, light grassiness, and a mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: crisp from start to finish. Short malty aftertaste. Light to medium in body.

Drinkability: not bad, but a little too buttery for my tastes. Worth a look.

Photo of
3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Opened a 750ml bottle, no information on bottling or drink by dates. Poured a clear gold color with about 1 finger of head. Aroma was malt/yeast then a slight citrus note. I think I also picked up bananas and some other fruit. Starting to get a cold, so ability to smell could be broken at this time. Taste was a whack in the face with an orange. As I drank this moved to a more general citrus flavor, but it was far stronger than the aroma led me to expect. The mouthfeel didn't do a lot for me, in that I thought the carbonation was too much. The "tingle" interfered with the taste. Overall, I felt that this beer was too citrusy. Not bad, but not one I am going to seek out again.

3.09/5  rDev -18%

This one needed to be savored a bit before understsnding some of it's complexities. The beer changes drastically from first cold sip, to second sip, and then changes again after it warms up a little (not warm, just not ice cold as it was when I first poured it), where it tastes best.

The appearance is impressive. Best part of the beer in my opinion. It is orange/gold in color, noticeable carbonation, and a lacey head that takes a few minutes to die down. Even after the head clears there is a couple millimeter foam left on the top. I like that.

The smell is a bit musky for a lager...grassy, and full. Kind if smells like a good day of little league baseball...dirty, as it was mentioned in another review. That may be the best way to explain it.

Taste - well at first I was immediately reminded of lemons, it's sour...that flavor stays as it warms up, but other overtones pop in, such as the hops, and grassiness. This may be off base but I sense a similarity to the old Matts beer balls out of New York State I drank as a kid...maybe because I drank those in the summer too...but it brought me back to that.

Mouth feel - This I rated high, more because it has a lot of different things going on that impressed me. The sour lemony grassiness stays on the tip of your tongue and lips, while the dryness is noted on the very back of the tongue and roof of your mouth. After drinking it a while there is almost a numbness on the back of the tongue and roof of your mouth, and the flavor lingers in the nose. I like how the mouth feel and smell of this beer worked on the 2 senses.

Drinkability - A little too sour for my liking. Doesn't make me dislike the beer, but doesn't make me want to drink that much of it. That's okay, as not every beer is meant to be enjoyed in quantity, although most lagers have better drinkability than this one.

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%

This pours a golden cloudy straw color with a huge foamy head. The smell is foral ,but very faint,just an average aroma. The taste is very crisp and refreshing.The flavors include fruit,some lemon,a slight hoppiness,with some malt.The m/f is light and well balanced.This is a nice beer for the summer,I only wish I had mine then.

4.11/5  rDev +9%

I’ve been looking for this beer for a while and the fact that it came in 750s had somehow always eluded me, an helles in 750s? Ain’t that the way to go? Anyway, it is particularly beautiful to look at, the full carbonation is not as agressive as your average Cisco, but it obviously raises a mamooth of a white head with mountainous lacing and rockiness. The body is fully hazy, golden. Surprising sourdough and angel cake (first time I use this describor and coincidentally, I see my buddy Clark mentions it also) maltiness dancing up the nostrils along with strong lemony, grassy and floral saazy hops. Whereas the bready toasted malts are drier than you’d expect despite slight honeyish hints, the hops kick in gracefully, unagressively. Medium bodied, rather crisp high carbonation. It doesn’t get much more refreshing, could actually be world-class if it were not of the overly attenuative Cisco yeast strain that procures such high carbonation (though that’s really okay here) and almost metallic (or more so battery alkalinity) dryness. It’s too bad, because it is one of the rare strains I can think of that brings a natural acidity that I enjoy, it just gets a bit overdone most of the time. Drink it when you’re in the mood for a tart, yeasty, sourdoughy lager and you’re in for a treat.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

750ml bottle
Appearance: Slightly cloudy golden/straw body. Huge frothy white head that sticks around. Good lacing.

Smell: Slight spicy aroma, light lemon zest. Sweet, but light and refreshing.

Taste/Feel: Nice and crisp in the mouth. Sweet almost tart taste. It's not overpowering, though, very refreshing. Some tart/lemony tastes feel artificial, but this tastes natural and fitting. As it warms, the lemony taste gets a little unbalanced, as does the yeasty/bready flavors. Too bad.

Good summer beer, goes well with some pizza.

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%

Although the label doesn't let on, I really think this is not a lager at all. It reminds me of a golden/amber witbier - very pleasantly fruity, spicy nose, a coriander/orange flavor that does not come through in the aroma, and a nice tartness that cleans the palate and refreshes.

Hard to give good review numbers to this one. As a pseudo-wit it is very nice and pleasant to drink. I would not mind having a keg full of this around the house. On the other hand, it is not very lager-like at all, so there is some disappointment or suprise from that.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pale malt scent with a slight lemony zest and a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is good. It has a light and fruity pale malt flavor with a tart finish. It is lemony and quite refreshing. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is an excellent lager and a real summer time treat. It's the first beer I've had from these guys. I hope they're all this good.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Carefully poured from a longstanding 750ml bottle, the Summer of Lager is a crystal-clear deep-gold with an orange-ish cast. It's frothy bright-white head holds exceptionally well, no doubt buoyed by the steadily streaming effervescent carbonation from below; and it leaves wide sheets of thin but solid lace about the glass. The nose is clean, bright and fresh just like summer, with notes of malt, cut-grass, and flowers. The body is medium with a dextrinous edge; and it's zesty and then creamy across the palate with a very fine-bubbled, natural (it's bottle-conditioned), effervescent carbonation. The flavor reveals a sweetish, slightly toasty and "juicy" malt (typical of Munich malt) that's laced with grassy, floral, and subtly spicy hops; and balanced by a low-key bitterness that's just enough to dry it in the finish leaving the palate refreshed and ready for another sip. It's rich without being satiating, and it's immensely drinkable. It's very well done, and the 6.25% alcohol is never noticeable! It's certainly worth trying, and probably one of Cisco's best beers!

4.16/5  rDev +10.3%

Crazy uneven, hilly head, off-white in color. Overall looks are raw and fresh, with the wildly active dark orange unfiltered body leaving bubble streams sticking all up the sides. Head is ever-lasting. Nose is highly yeasty, raw and wild. Light sour malts showing lots of lime juice and something alcoholic too.

Taste is very much citric, and a little salty, too. Squeezed lemon is dominant and almost too acidic for my liking. I wondered if perhaps my bottle had gone bad as I searched for a bottling date (none to be found)--but other reviews support the citric character. The body is nice and thick, smooth, with some powdery wheat flour touches--which add alot to the overall goodness of the brew. Some light afternotes of sweet wheat develop as it warms.

Interesting raw beer here--and certainly the most un-lager-like lager I've had. However, they are clearly referring to their having "lagered" it over the winter bla bla bla..

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

750 ml. purchased on the Cape, extremely close to the brewery on Nantucket.

A creamy white head that quickly fades to lacing with some staying power. A glowing orange/yellow in color. Plenty of noticeable carbonation.

The aromatics include a lemon citrus, some floral aromas, and a moderate sweet maltiness balanced in as well. All of these aromas are on the subtle side with nothing really overpowering breaking through.

A light, yet sweet maltiness comes through at first followed by a tart lemon flavor. There's also a very minor metallic taste in the middle of the sip that doesn't ruin the flavor, but aids in subduing the citric qualities. A subtle and warming bread-like flavor in the finish.

Very light, crisp, and clean on the palate. A lot of carbonation but it works well with the lager's flavors.

A very refreshing beer to be enjoyed on the beach in the summer. Very drinkable and enjoyable, especially if you're into this style of lager. Since I'm not, this was a pleasant surprise.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a deep but very clear golden color that sits nicely in my pilsner glass. Not too much foam after a very aggressive pour, with large co2 packletts quickly subsiding. The lasting tinge of effervescence-bubbles rising to the top did retain a whiver of white.

Clean aroma -- not at all grassy and not too much by way of hops either. Would characterize as malty and sweet.

Taste was definitely a pilsner style in the broad sense, with malt contributing and hops in balance (Note: my beer was retained for three months in my refrigerator prior to sampling). Overall, I noted just the right amount of carbonation.

Generally an admirable American, craft "light" lager/pilsner, and nice to come across one that is not in the elevated-hop category.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

750ml bottle that my friend purchased the night I asked him to be my best man.

Glowing yellow/orange in color with very small head that is gone very fast. Smell is malt, a bit plastic with some solid sweetness. Taste is crisp and clean in the beginning. Metallic in the middle. Ending has some bitterness, which is very welcome.

Not sure if it is worth the $8 a bottle.

Initial reaction isn't that great. The more I drink, the more I like.

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

The little yellow flower says it all, too bad it wasn't around in '69. A nice golden lager, with steady carbonation. A little hoppy with a very complex taste. Crisp would be an understatement. This is by far the best beer Cisco puts out in the summer, but I could not find it on tap on the island. I'll have to go back and continue my search....

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Golden pour with a massive white head that sticks around forever leaving lace all over the glass. The aroma is very floral and grassy. It smells like summer with hops and malts coming along for the party.

The malts are a little bready and definitely do not make up the flavor of this beer. The seller on this one is the excellent selection of hops they chose. Very grassy and earthy, mmmmm. It is crisp and refreshing, perfect for summer. I wish I had a full brewery full of this beer so I could have a summer of lager, and a winter, and... It is simply a wonderful brew for any season, but especially summer.

Danke sehr VENOM for this wonderful sample.

Summer Of Lager from Cisco Brewers Inc.