He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)
3.91/5
Very Good
He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17)

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Strong Ale

How could we hope to top last year’s Jewbelation Sweet 16 with its cupcakes, unicorns, & Satan’s Ferrari birthday cake? massive challenge. So for Year 17, we threw in a whole new dimension to our shtick – we built our very own brewery! After 17 years of contract brewing, our first Shmaltz Clifton Park batch emerged 17 months after the first draft of the business plan. Coincidence? Renaissance means “Re-birth” in French & Italian. In Buddhism, the concept does not truly translate as “reincarnation” but instead as “becoming,” or a “stream of consciousness.” 11 syllables structure a haiku. Shakespeare penned 17 comedies. In The Simpsons episode “Duffness” Homer sings “When I was 17″ about buying his first beer with a fake I.D. “I drank some very good beer. I stayed up listening to Queen, When I was 17.” In The Office, Dwight recites Rule 17 that all Schrute boys must learn: “Don’t turn your back on bears, men you have wronged, or the dominant turkey during mating season.” Knowledge and growth come in many forms. It is taught that Nirvana is only attained when the soul transcends cycles of rebirth. Looks like Shmaltz just isn’t there yet. So with 17 malts, 17 hops, and 17% ABV, JEWBEL4TIONREBORN serves as another mark of our death as a contract brewer and proof of our conversion to a new life as brewery owner…… L’Chaim!!!

Added by TheBrewo on 11-08-2013

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle, a frustratingly difficult offering to come by around here, as there are myriad (usually beyond weak-ass) stories abounding as to why different stores don't carry it. Meh, it was easier to get an over-pour of this at the GABF last year. M. Cowan missed a certain '17' reference in Winger's creepy ode to underage sexual allure. Hey, I have a certain impending feeling of getting worked over right now too.

This beer pours a solid, well, almost black, with prominent red cola highlights pervading, and three fingers of puffy, frothy, and tightly foamy tan head, which leaves but a small bit of low-lying, ebbing seawall lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of roasted, somewhat meaty caramel malt, chocolate liqueur, middling black fruit esters, treacle, brown sugar, sharp alcohol twinges, and musty earthy, leafy, and weedy hops. The taste is actually not quite as gag-inducing as I was expecting - sure it's strong, the heat really, really close to the surface, in the sense that a mere muscle tic in my throat might cause it to come spewing forth. Anyways, the flavour is replete with singed, dense caramel and bready malt, somewhat acrid black fruit flesh esters - prune, dried cherry, plum, and figs - strangely unsweet brown sugar, a hint of oily nuttiness, dry cocoa and coffee, drier tanned leather, overripe, kind of fermenting apples, musty licorice, and an ethereal earthy, weedy hoppiness.

The carbonation is pretty innocuous, barely even registering on the froth-o-meter, the body a sturdy medium-heavy weight, generally smooth, with that threatening booze informing just a little too much on any nascent creaminess. It finishes off-dry, the now meek-seeming malt ceding control to the chocolate and dark fruit cabal, while the alcohol hones its metallic edges.

For such a strong brew, the 34-proof booze is actually pretty well integrated, relatively speaking - any wines of comparable ABV are much more hot-tasting. That's not to say that it doesn't seem to be lurking around every corner - it surely is. Everything else is just subservient to that - the malt, the hops (all 17 of each), the fruitiness - it all comes off as pushed down, and somewhat dulled. Hmmm, not surprising, I suppose.

4.26/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a 3F Teku glass.

A- Pours a deep brown, muddy body with a decent 2 finger light chocolate head that reduces slowly to leave blotchy lacing.

S- Lots going on here, smells very complex. Sweet caramel, butterscotch, vanilla, dark fruits, toffee, slight booze, candied sugar.

T- Starts off with tons of sweet malt notes that really follow the nose - caramel, toffee, dark fruits, light coffee and chocolate notes.. the finish is roasty and slightly charred.

M- Thick, rich body, low carbonation.

This exceeded my expectations.. a very well crafted beer. Remind me of a heavy version of a Quad. Would never guess it was 17%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

2.99/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer pours a nice dark brown, with a decent amount of sustaining head. Unfortunately, to me, it's all downhill from there. I have actually enjoyed quite a few Shmaltz beers as I could find them in the past. I wondered how this would work given the 17s involved, but for me it didn't mainly because of one "17", listed under ABV.

The smell is sweetish and dark-fruit in nature. Fig more so than date, a bit of honey in the sweetness. Maybe some dark cherries in there. Not bad; I actually don't notice any alcohol.

The taste grabs a little of the smell, then smacks me with an alcohol astringent blast that never quite subsides. The latter feel actually comes more into line with what I would expect from a strong ale, but instead of accentuating the taste. it is a welcome relief from it.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of effort into building a taste profile to me. Seems like an experiment that falls well short.

4.37/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured into a snifter/tulip/wine glass

A - Dark sludgy dirty oil color. Pretty neat. half finger brown very dense head and some sugar lacing

S - malt-o-mania! Brown sugar, caramel, slight coffee note, banana, bourbon, vanilla, pine, vine ripened plum, coca, crazy hops going on, a bit of funk and just all around awesome! Bet this thing smelled great when brewing!

T - huge silky sweet booze not up front, plum, TONS of malts, a little toasty, tons of hops, pine, floral, fruity, molasses, cherry, coke, slight weed, bourbon vanilla, terrior, chard wood, milk chocolate, sweet Hawaiian bread, very yeasty and even the smell is dense.

M - HUGE full body, medium plus acidity, actually very nice balance, perfectly complex and the finish is amazing. SO many flavors colliding into a sweet, bitter, boozey awesomeness, funky yeast, cherry, coca cola, bit of weed oil,

D/O - Actually very drinkable. I mean, don't think I am grabbing a sixer (yes, I know they only come in 22oz) or hell even a 4 pack. But I found myself downing this thing. Lots of stuff going on, so much so, that it makes it perfect. A perfect storm of smells and flavors. Pretty neat. Need to pick up one to age.

Final thoughts - The price is huge $16 for a bottle. Pissed me off because Jewbelation used to be tasty and inexpensive. BUT, still worth it for sure. The 17% abv is nuts, hahaha.

3.74/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

650ml bomber poured into tulip 22/2/14

A dark cola liquid, almost black, much to my surprise there's plenty of foam that hangs around for a while leaving few random patches of lace, not bad for a monster, some wide legs and a little color left on the glass

S molasses and brown sugar, booze stings the nostrils, some chocolate, a little citrus and plum, very faint coffee, some spicy herbal notes I can't place, more booze, and a hint of pine and tobacco

T sugar coated raisins, brown sugars a little burnt, perhaps a hint of hazelnut, everything I smells still there, a fair bit going on but hard to pin point anything other then the booze and sugars

M thick, syrupy and very sticky, I should've shaved my beard to drink this stuff, I might need more then a facecloth to get the hairs unstuck, some bubbles would foam it up but you can't foam up syrup, hits my head and chest fairly hard

O fairly complex and I almost love it, I know its a monster but shes boozy and a little intimidating and will kick your ass

I'm curious where these anniversary brews are headed, I doubt I'll live to see it get to over-proof levels but I have to admit I'm looking forward to see where this ends up.

3.52/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.75

Pours very dark brown, almost black. A ring and cirrus cloud shapes on the surface of tan foam.

Whilst there is a great character of sweet licorice, oak, and dark chocolate; the primary odor coming off of this is heavy fusel/paint thinner.

Mega huge. Way too much bite with the alcohol. Tastes like alcohol. Oh, and cheap brandy, anise, dark chocolate, paint thinner, and soy sauce. Not as sweet as the combination of the aforementioned ingredients. Light peatiness is great. Wish more of these flavors could be featured.

Hard to drink a 5 1/2 oz pour. That's saying something. Boozy, sticky, boozy, flat, and boozy.

Ridiculous beer. Nuff said.

He'Brew Jewbelation Reborn (17) from Shmaltz Brewing Company