He'Brew Genesis 10:10 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A huge balance of specialty malts, pounds and pounds of American and European hops, brewed with a hint of luscious Pomegranate juice.

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

3.88/5  rDev +6%

L:Nice light brown frothy head. Dark brown golden color
S: I am having trouble picking anything up. What I do pick up is a bit of brown sugar.
T:Light matly sweetness. With a very faint fruit taste on the back of my tounge. A bit bisquity as well
M:A very full no fizz feel at all. Syrupy almost
D:Very good. Fairly approachable for a beer that is 10% alcohol

3.81/5  rDev +4.1%

My first He'Brew is crisp and delicious; a retired fruit beer that I picked up in Frederick, MD.

A heady beer that gives way to a nice glass lace after pour. The color isn't unusual, but a bit cloudy. Nice.

It smells pretty neutral; hoppy but sweet. Not particularly malty.

It tastes good; plain and simple, especially for a fruit infused beer. The pomegranate is subtle at best, even trying a beer that's obviously been aged for over a year. The hoppiness comes through more than anything but it's well balanced for a beer infused with fruit. I like this because it's more beer than pomegranate.

Mouthfeel is sweet and delicious and it is very, very, VERY drinkable for 10% ABV. Definitely not a session beer, but great for sipping and enjoying with a friend.

If you can find a 10th anniversary He'Brew, pick it up. Because I believe 11th Anniversary is already out.

Mazel toff!

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle to a pint glass, the liquid is a reddish brown with good carbonation. The head is great 2 fingers of lively tan foam that leaves good lace.

The smell is really good, very nice fruity aroma with lots of hops.

The taste is good, not bad for a fruit beer at all. lots of hops fore and aft. With mild tart red fruit and citrus. Quite enjoyable, indeed.

The mouthfeel is good nice body and great carbonation.

The drinkability is good, I really think these beers are a bit underrated and priced great for what you get.

Prosit, MK

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%

22 oz. Bomber

Poured into a chalice a nice murky amber color, nice carbonation, nice little creamy tan head, some small islands and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, slightly hoppy, some fruits, and a nice touch of caramel. The taste is malty, some nice sweetness, some hops, slightly fruity, and some caramel. The alcohol is hidden very well for a brew this high. Full body. Very drinkable, I like this one alot. This brew is not a fruit beer at all, more of a American Strong Ale, kinda like a Stone Arrogant Bastard or a Laguinitas Old Gnarlywine. Overall this is very tasty and highly recommended.

Pours orange/amber with some rubyish hues. The thin head eventually becomes patchy.

The smell is citric - pomegranate, of course - with caramel backing and doughy yeast. Some pepper lets you know that there is an alcohol presence.

The taste of pomegranate adds to and complements the citric hoppiness. Caramelish graininess and alcohol balance the fruitiness well. The mixture results in a unique, smooth, silky bittersweet brew.

This is a nice one to sip on - interesting use of pomegranate that works well here.

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours out a hazy chestnut. nose of sweet toffee and tangy fruit. Taste- sweet and syrupy. Woody tobacco like hops. Has a cough syrup taste from the fruit and same sort of thick viscous consistency. Not something I look for in a beer. Fairly hot to boot. This is a tough drink. Can't say that I enjoyed.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

22oz bottle. Brewed with pomegranate juice. Interesting...I like the fruit but have never tried it in a beer. Pours into my glass a dark amber almost bordering on brown with a half inch of light tan head sitting on top. Aromas start off with thick caramel / toffee malts alongside dense piney, herbal, citric hop resins. There's a certain sweetness to it. Somewhat fruity but I don't get any pomegranate specifically in the nose.

First sip brings a rich caramel, toffee malt upfront that has hints of baked bread. A touch of spiciness that moves into some pine and citrus hop flavors. The pomegranate juice makes an appearance on the way down here as well, adding a nice fruitiness tartness to the brew. It finishes rather dry and a bit astringent with lingering hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is rather big and chewy with medium carbonation. Goes down pretty easily. I'd probably place this as an American Strong Ale myself, not that it really matters! Overall, a pretty tasty brew with a nice twist. I haven't sampled many of the He'Brew beers but I will say I am glad I picked this one up.

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Golden bronze with a full light beige head and decent slow carbonation that leaves decent lace rings. Big American Barleywine style aromas ... malty with bitter hops on the nose. Similar flavors with just a hint of fruit noticeable. Very Barleywine-ish.

Full-medium bodied with a big bitter finish.

Overall OK but would have liked the Pomegranate juice to stand out a bit more...

Per Label: "Limited Release" & "10th Anniversary Ale" & "Pomegranate Juice"

Tasted:05/16/07

($5.49 / 22 oz.)

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my review number 1010. So I chose to review 10:10 on my 1010 review. Yeah, I think I’m clever even if it is lame. Thanks to mughugger for picking this beer up for me. A pomegranate fruit beer; I did not have high expectations but I liked the way the name line up with the review number. To my surprise this turned out to be a really good beer. Wow. Who would have thought.

Appearance: Pours a very attractive thick amber color with an off-white head that fades to a ring around the glass. When backlit more crimson red hues begin to show.

Smell: Extremely malt. This beer is loaded with variety and depth. The caramel malts lead right into a fruity bread like attribute makes me think of fruit cake and cinnamon cherries. There is certainly an alcohol presence but not a bite. More like the rum you get in a tiramisu.

Taste: Sweet and fruity to start. Rich and malty with a touch of hops but it is an dominantly sweet beer balance by the alcohol element. Pomegranate is certainly present with a massive malt body and a certain degree of spiciness. There are a lot of hops here as well but I still think the overall emphasis of the beer leans sweet and fruity and almost tropical (with mango and honeydew) until you get to the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: The heavy thick mouthfeel and the hot alcohol are just right in my mind. It is truly a treat. It is not the beer I would describe as approachable though. Some people may find the flavors and feel of the booze to be a bit much.

Drinkability: I have a big sweet tooth. I also like my booze. I found this very drinkable. I would suspect that these attributes may cause many people to find this beer a bit less drinkable but it is tasty and worth a bomber.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from the bomber into my snifter. Mahogany body, little chill haze, bone-white head stuck around a while. Some globs of lacing evident.

Smell is similar to an American Barleywine. Fruity, but not immediately recognizable as pomegranate - more the typical barleywine smells of prunes, grapes, plums. A good deal of hop in the nose, too along with a bit of alcohol. The pomegranate turns out not to reveal itself to me until it warms. Don't be in a hurry to drink this one.

This is just a superlative beer. Take a few sips when cold - doesn't seem to be much going on besides a pretty good dose of hop bitterness and alcohol. Then wait - sip every couple minutes. This beer needs time in the glass to open up. The pomegranate juice is nowhere to be found until then, locked behind an alcohol and hop silk screen. When it warms, that's when you get the full flavor profile of this excellent barleywine, tangy pomegranate included. I'd put this in the American Barleywine or American Strong Ale section rather than fruit/vegetable beer. There's way too much hop and malt character (10 each???) for a "fruit beer."

Mouthfeel is great for an extreme beer like this. Crackly carbonation, not too syrupy. Goes down pretty easily.

Drinkability - again, amazing for this kind of extreme beer. Finishing the bomber alone isn't at all problematic.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

This is quite the oddity of a beer. Kind of hard to explain in terms of style.

The beer pours to a deep ruby color with a slight mahogany tint. Plenty of off-white head with a good retention. Decent lacing. No carbonation bubbles apparent, not even coming from the etching on the bottom of my Unibroue tulip. Looks good enough.

Smells alright. There is some good traits, but covered up under the tangy pommegranate is a malt flavor that I don't think I will agree with. Biscuity and sweet with a hint of DMS aroma.

The taste is alright as well. I don't think pommegranate works well with this "style" of beer, however, or at least the way it was utilized in the brewing process (not that I know of any other ways that would work better). Too tangy with a sharp tannin. The bitterness is biting and harsh with a weak toasted biscuit and raisiny malt flavor. Finishes bitter and sour, which isn't a great combination, especially with the lingering malt taste with a small hint of DMS.

The body is fairly thick with a very light carbonation. The 10% alcohol is hardly noticable. Fairly harsh hops bitterness with little of the flavor. Not too drinkable. Probably not something I will want to try again in the future, but I thought it was a funny novelty item.

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

This beer was as-advertised - it is quite a "big" beer, but somehow maintains a balance between a high amount of malt and a a lot of hoppiness. I think I detected the pomegranate flavor, but I'm not sure that it really added much to the beer.

The beer was a bit of a murky brown with an attractive amount of white head. Aroma was more like an IPA than anything, and was of dry-hoppiness. Flavor was big and bold balance of hop and malt. Mouthfeel was pretty good, but I didn't find this beer to be extremely drinkable. Recommended.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a hazy orange with a fairly good head for the style and abv, but it fades quickly. The smell is sweet and fruity with an underlying tang of malt and a definite alcohol presence. At first the specific pomegranate flavor is not noticeable, but it becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Then, sweet pomegranate 1st, followed by a slightly harsh hit of alcohol, a sweet/sour fruitiness, and a long bitter tanginess on the finish. Decent body and smoothness. This beer isn't bad, but perhaps it needs a little time to mellow and integrate the flavors. At the moment its a little hot and a little sweet. I like the concept, but pomegranate is a strong flavor that should be used sparingly.

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a nice red orange color and has a thick white head that laces the glace all the way down.

The aroma is first hops the gives way to malty sweetness and fresh berries with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is dominated primarily by the malt sweetness then moves into the pomegranate flavor that has a little more bite to it. Next is a light caramel flavor and hops with a tangy finish from the fruit.

This is a surprisingly smooth beer in the mouth with just the right amount of carbonation. Very drinkable but savor the flavor. There are actually several dishes I could recommend but a nice cherry sauce with duck I think would be great with this beer.

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

A - Amber brew with a monster of a frothy head that leaves big clumps of lacing down the sides of the glass.

S - A tart very pleasant fruitiness. Sweet caramel malt. Faint smokiness. Faint alcohol. A bit of pine hops as well.

T - Sweet caramel with a slight tartness - I attribute it to pomegranate, but had I not known, I never would have guessed that it tastes like pomegranate. Aftertaste is a lingering maltiness.

M - Thick, smooth, frothy, very refreshing.

D - Great. It is the sort of brew that is hard to look down upon. A real treat to savor. I would like to have this again. The best He'brew beer I have to date.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Based on notes

Poured into a thistle glass with an effervescent amber with 4 fingers of rocky eggshell colored head. Great lacing & head retention

S: Ever-so slight sweet berry smell

T: Malty, fruittyness, a hint of warming boozeyness up front. Smokeyness, pears, & breadyness follow up as this warms. Then dryness & tinge of eldeberrys. Finishes with caramel, dryness, maple syrupp, cherry, berry & honey. A little too mixed up to rate better

MF: Medium bodied,with healthy carbonation, which brings out the fruittyness!

Drinks easy for the ABV, not over fruitty. Maybe one to age. I like this as far as fruit beers go

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Glazed terra cotta with juicy tangelo accents. This is a gorgeous ale, from the bottom of the glass to the very top of the pastel orange, thickly creamy crown. I'm reminded of a DIPA with a healthy splash of pomegranate juice. Thick sheets of finely pocked lace confirm my initial enthusiasm. Genesis 10:10 isn't a '10' in the looks department, but it's still a looker.

The nose is reminiscent of a DIPA as well, although one that has had a partial hopectomy. It's nicely malty and gives off a considerable amount of white rum-soaked fruitiness. I'm guessing that's the pomengranate juice, although it smells quite a bit like orange to me. I'm pleased to smell that alcohol is barely evident, even at 10.0%.

Genesis 10:10 tastes like it smells and like it looks. If you like full-bodied, impressively malty, moderately hoppy, sweet and sticky, fruity, high-ABV beer, then this is the stuff of your dreams. If blinded, I would have called it an especially fruity, very well-behaved American barleywine. It'll be interesting to see what style is assigned once 'fruit/vegetable beer' is eliminated.

Of the malts in use (pale, caramel, dark crystal, Munich, black and wheat), it tastes like the emphasis was on the first three rather than the last three. Schmaltz (He'Brew) has always been a brewery that has included everything but the kitchen sink in their anniversary beers, so it's no surprise to see hop bill overkill. Try this on for size: Warrior, Centennial, Cascade, Willamette, Simcoe, Crystal and Mt. Hood.

Given the fruitiness and the oranginess of at least three of those, it's no surprise that I'm still not entirely sure what pomegranate juice tastes like. The beer isn't hugely hoppy, but it has a huge amount of flavor and enough bitterness to make a respectable attempt at taming all those malt sugars. In the end, 10:10 is balanced in a sensory overload kind of way. Mild alcohol fusels are easily managed.

Those who like heavily silky, semi-syrupy, honey-like mouthfeels will love what this beer has in store. It's so big that it keeps one sipping rather than gulping. That's fine because the flavor becomes even more bold with warming and the double-digit ABV deserves a little respect so that typing is still possible. Continuing to make sense is another matter entirely.

Genesis 10:10 is yet another big beer from a brewery that appears to love brewing big beer. I have to hand it to these guys since they've managed to corral a huge number of different ingredients into a beer that makes sense on the palate. It looks like they thought so highly of this basic recipe that they've decided to release a year-round offering called He'Brew Origin Pomegranate Ale. Where do I sign up?

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours an amber color with a thick white head. Head mellowed out to a pleasant white ring. Not too much going on in the nose, some mild sweet fruity notes with a very faint touch of malt. The pomegranate hits the tastebuds immediately, followed by a tight malted alcohol presence. Mildy sour aftertaste. The sweet alcohol presence is only magnified by the pom in here. Overall, it's a pretty decent brew given the ABV but I dont see myself going for this again unless I see it on tap somewhere and there isn't much else to choose from.

3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'd liked it from the 22 oz. bottle, so when I saw it on tap I jumped on the opportunity to try it, especially because I like Shmaltz and this is in limited supply. Wonder if it's contracted out of Saratoga like the bottles?

Poured a beautiful red with a thick white head, so dense it looked like you could float a quarter on it (I didn't try). Left thin lacing on the glass. Lots of good stuff in the smell -- malts, red fruits -- but also some booze and sulfur. As I said, I remembered quite liking this beer the first time, but I found it to be over-hopped (perhaps to try and hide the alcohol), which sadly outdid the delicious caramel malts. The tartness of the fruit juice was welcome, but emphasized the zealous bitter fruit hoppiness. Dry finish, but a bit too fizzy and bitter for my taste. In all, a tasty beer, but not my best experience with the Shmaltz lineup.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

12/17/06- Purchased at Nuggett Markey in Vacaville, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle with no freshness dating. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Deep amber in color. Foamy one inch head which keeps at a nice 1/4 inch the rest of the way. Full sheets of lace coat the inside of the glass.

Smell- Buckets full of deep caramel malt. A mild whiff of fruity hops with a pit of a tart fruit scent also.

Taste- The best way to describe this beer is as a malt liquor with added fruit concentrate. Very large caramel malty backbone with the alcohol being very evident. Then it seems like someone drops a shot of Pom into my beer. Odd flavor meld for sure.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation with an alcoholic aftertaste.

Drinkability- Felt like I was a high class bum drinking this stuff. The only problem was that it wasn't a malt liquor style beer. Strange and different for sure.

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

The pomegranite juice added to Shmaltz's copper-orange and crimson colored brew adds an interesting touch that livens it and gives it an engaging start; but also allows it to become a very nicely hoppy, seemingly "regular" beer across the middle. Some fruitiness does return in the finish, but it's also very hoppy. It's an odd combination in a way, but it works!

The head retention is good, and it leaves complete, craggy veils of lace throughout the glass. The body is medium-full, and it's gently zesty on the tongue beofre warming to become more dextrinous and soft across the palate.

The nose is citrusy, spicy, alcoholic and juicy with just a hint of maltiness.

The flavor starts with the juicy pomegranite, lightly sweet and mildly tart; and then kicks in with a splash of spicy alcohol and grassy and citrusy hops over a caramelish and biscuity maltiness. The bitterness is brash, and asserts itself to the point of pushing everything but the hop flavors and a mild hint of malt and fruit to the sides. In a way, it's a short ride, but damn if it's not intense! The alcohol is apparent, but it's not "hot"; and it finishes dry with some residual, lingering citrusy/piney hops, a touch of fruit, and alcohol. It's definitely warming beyond the first few ounces!

So what can be said of this beer? It's adventurous. It's not so much a fruit beer as a hoppy strong-ale with some fruit juice added to lend character, and perhaps soften it a bit.

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled from a 22 oz bomber, poured into a toasting glass at 45 degrees; my wife and I shared this for our first Valentine's Day as husband and wife.

A - Pours a cloudy apple juice color with little head or retention...good carbonation, though.

S - Smells of tart, juicy fruit on a hoppy backbone. A welcoming aroma, after drinking heavier winter brews lately.

T - Alcohol is present in the taste, from start to finish. Begins with a tangy note, but any traces of fruit quickly dissipates to a mildly-malty/hoppy flavor. Difficult to describe...malt, hops, & fruit are all present in small quantities....all are dominated by carbonated alcohol. Not like a fruit beer, by any means.

M - Thinner body...on the lighter-medium side...but finishes with a punch of alcohol and fruited dry-hops. Long-lasting aftertaste.

D - Definitely less than I expected...I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, unless you're looking for a high-abv nightcap that doesn't resemble the fruit-style.

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%

This is a beautiful beer. Pours with a semi-clear, amber base with an egg-white head that leaves thick lacing on my glass. The body has a very pretty ruby tinge to it. Aromas are an interesting combination of American hops and an unfamiliar fruity quality that I assume is from the pomegranate juice. It's a very rich aroma. There's a significant alcohol burn to this beer, which detracts from mouthfeel, which is a touch metallic as well, and easily the weakest link in this brew. Taste is initially sweet fruity, with the pomegranates mixing with some munich malts nicely. The taste dries out toward the end, with a big hop crescendo finishing things off. Overall, this beer is weird but, to my mind, very good. I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. It's big, robust, and a bit too burny, but it's interesting and the pomegranate adds a new fruity wrinkle to an American beer (already fruity from yeast/hops) that's quite compelling.

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

Damn nice looking beer. Deep mahagony/copper, Fine yet very thick off white head lasts a good 5 minutes. Leaves a tight, sticky lacing all the way down the glass. Retention is dead on.

Citrusy, floral hops first and foremost. Other fruits as well although I'm not sure it it's pomegranate I spy. Good amount of a sweet malt also shines through. Very well balanced aromas.

Well this is one fine beer. Balance and mouthfeel are impeccable. Richly sweet carameled malt leads way into a citrusy, flowery hop that lasts long into the finish. Pomegranate is definitely noticeable in the mouth especially on the rich creamy mid-palate. The pomegranate adds a sparkely, refreshing sense too this beer. Sllightly sweet, but the bitterness from the hops balance things nicely. Only problem I see is the slight alcohol burn in the chest but it doesn't take away from this brew.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

poured from a 22oz. bomber into an Imperial pint glass

A: perhaps I poured this too fast, but it foamed up like a mutha on me; the beer itself forms a nice, slightly cloudy orange/copper color with, as mentioned, a ginormous, frothy off-white head that leaves an equal amount of lacing.

S: given what I've read about this beer, I was expecting a very malty, sweet aroma. That wasn't entirely the case. It is definitely malted, and sweet in a caramel-ish way, but I detect almost no pomegranate, which I was hoping for.

T: I'm immediately reminded of a big Belgian ale, almost syrupy in its sweetness. It's all malts up front, and still, not much in the way of pomegranates. As the sweetness fades, the "10" hops kick in and finish each swallow with some bitter crispness. Not too bad.

M: probably my favorite part of this beer, it's velvety and creamy, with just the right amount of subtle carbonation. I really enjoyed how the beer felt in the mouth.

D: not a beer I'd go to over & over again, it seems to be stuck on sweet and not too much else, and at 10% ABV, well, you're not really going to be drinking a lot of it anyway.

It's an okay beer, I have one more in the fridge, I'll probably pair it with a slice of cheesecake one night, not sure if I'd buy again.

He'Brew Genesis 10:10 from Shmaltz Brewing Company