He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Reviews: 896 | Ratings: 1,976
4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

My first review for a He'brew. A 22oz bomber with more writing on it than any Stone bottle I've seen. First quote that caught my eye: "Satire equals tragedy plus time - Lenny Bruce". Love it already.

Appearance- Dark ruddy bronze/red with an alarmingly rising head that leaves thick chunks of lace on the glass. Don't pour too aggresively or it'll end up on the floor!

Smell- Fruity sweetness hits first followed by caramel malts, cherries, some alcohol not quite hidden by the sweetness. There is quite a lot of alpha hop aroma around too. Floral and some citurs as well. I can tell I'm gonna like this one.

Taste- Creamy; thick and creamy as hell. The sweetness is predominant but perfectly balanced by the hops. The alcohol warms nicely and the hops come through with a nice taste to match the smell, floral and citrus. Caramel and cherries come through nicely too. This is one well hopped and malted brew, both very well balanced. I like it!!

Mouthfeel- I've always had trouble describing mouthfeel so have patience with me here. The carbonation is just right, not too bubbly nor too flat like some stouts. It plays nicely in your mouth. The creaminess is the main attraction to the mouthfeel, it just slides down like something much thicker.

Drinkability- Obviously I love this brew and even at 10%ABV I could drink it all night (at home). He'brew has made a bold statement in the Double IPA market and I can't think of too many I like better. If you can find this one, get it and get as many as you can. My local IGA got a 2 cases and I'm gonna buy one for the cellar.

4.47/5  rDev +10.6%

A beautiful dark reddish copper color with an impressive ivory head that retains well and leaves plenty of nice lacing.

The aroma is hard to pin down, fruity at first, cherry and citrus, then a whiff of fresh rye bread and pine needles.

The taste also starts with fruit, not quite cherry, maybe plum, before you can decide a blast of pinety hops kicks in, then comes a bit of rye bread and citrus with hints of spices and mint, finishing slightly dry with pine and horehound aftertaste that lasts and lasts with some nice alcohol warmth trailing along.

Medium bodied, smooth and easy to drink. Interesting to drink, I think every sip turned up some new flavor notes, or maybe that was just the alcohol kicking in. This one is definitely worth a try for those who like plenty of piney hops. I think I will definitely do this one again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer has a cloudy orange and hazy almost bronze color. It has very well rounded bitter and sweet taste. That is fruity and floral. There are also some great malt tones. It has a hoppy grapefruit flavor that is bitter but at the same time mellow. It has wonderful aroma. It has a full body. This IPA is certainly up there in my book.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the clear dark orange/mahogany colored beer raises a 1 & ½" thick foamy head that is light tan and slowly recedes leaving behind lots of inter-connected patches of foam. Rings of lacing cling to the sides. Through out most of the beer there is a ring of foam around the liquid and some nice irregular patches on the surface. Sipping leaves lots of nice lacing patterns with speckles and legs , some of which slide back to the liquid and some of which cling until washed away by the next sip.

Smell: The aroma here is like rye bread made with dark caramel and grapefruit zest. There is also a faint fruitiness in the background (dark fruits). I'm also picking up a hint of the alcohol and the whole reminds me of a barleywine.

Taste: The flavors are strong and in your face. Indeed, given the subtle mix of aromas, the aggressive flavors come as a bit of a shock. The strong dark caramel malt backbone stays in the background for a long time but the stars of the show are the bitter spicy character contributed by the grapefruit zest and the spicy character from the rye. Every so often some cherry-like and plum-like notes pop up. But I don't really taste the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium to full-bodied with adequate soft carbonation. The finish is quite long and begins with a touch of fruit, rye and malt sweetness and then fades and fills the mouth with something that is a cross between bitter grapefruit zest and spicy roasted rye, finally ending with bitter grapefruit.

Drinkability: At this ABV I'm thinking this is pretty much a one a night beer, but it goes down smoothly despite or because of its bittersweet spicy rye character. This one is definitely an in your face beer that challenges you every sip of the way. But I keep going back for more and I will have this one again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: served in chalice - nice clear amber-copper body, frothy white head with sticky lacing.

S: Pine sap, sticky grapefruit, orange, amd caramel.

T: really nice and superbly balanced - bitter ruby red, sticky pine sap, citrus hops, some spice from the rye, sweet dark fruits, caramel, and alcohol follows up in the rear. Very nice.

M: slighlty sticky, not too heavy, smooth and complex.

O: Great beer love the rye pa's never tried a DRPA before. Got a great deal on it it was 5.78 and he sold it to me for 2.00.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bottle into a regular pint glass, unfortunately it was frosted.

The appearance was coppery with a beige head and copious amounts of lacing with large bubbles. It has a crisp, bitter rye smell with malt overtones. The hops are assertive, but the smell of rye is unmistakable. The taste is sweet, bitter, citrusy, and crisp. (hmmm...bittersweet RIPA? go figure.). Its mouthfeel is thick, almost syrupy but smooth and extremely drinkable. Well balanced.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Lenny's Bittersweet RIPA has been one of my favorite beers for quite a while. It feels like a privelage to be able to have it on tap. When it is poured it cascades upside down like an impatient Guiness, creating a thick, creamy, tan head. Below the foam, the body is a very appealing dark amber; and when held up to the light there are beautiful reddish/orange highlights. The lacing isn't great, but a nice ring of suds remains, and when I swirl the glass, the head reappears in strength. I really enjoy this beers nose. The aroma is spicy herbal earthy sweet with a touch of funk. I don't know which hops are used, but that funk reminds me of Simcoe. I taste sweet malt, spicy rye, and bitter earthy hops. The flavors work together in a twisting turning way, one leading to the next, and back around to the first. The finish is long and bitter. This is a big beer, with big flavors, but to me, they all work together very well. The mouthfeel is rich and smooth...unctuous (spe?), I love it. For me, the complexity and abv of the beer limit its drinkability, though I think the draft version is more drinkable than the bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Happy Passover - I drank this at sundown, 4/2/07 - the start of Passover in honor of all my Jewish friends and fellow beer advocate members who are Jewish.

22oz bomber

Pours a clear, deep ruby red/amber color with a thick, foamy beige head leaving a ton of lace down my entire pint glass as I drink it.

Smell is very good, hops hit you at first, then the alcohol smell kicks in.

Taste, IMO, it's one of the best double IPA's I have ever tasted (a close 2nd to Ruination IPA from Stone).
Rich malty taste up front, warming alcohol in the middle, bite of bitter hops on the finish. Talk about balance!

10%abv is the only thing holding this back from being an exceptionally drinkable brew. I finished off my bottle and could have maybe a 1/2 bottle more, but I gotta admit, I do feel "content".

4.45/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a very thick deep amber color with a small white head that leaves some good lacing. Aroma is of resinous hops, a little citrus, caramel malt, and spicy rye. Taste is loaded with a very oily hop pressence with some pine and citrus. The caramel noted in the nose is also very well represented in the taste. The high alcohol in the beer is also evident. The beer finishes with a rye bread like flavor. Mouthfeel is full, smooth, and perfectly carbonated. Pretty drinkable beer despite the high alcohol. Overall a great beer that I will purchase again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from the 22oz bomber.

The beer pours into my glass a deep deep amber underneath a frothy off white head that holds nicely leaving lace down the side of my glass. The smell is full of sweet piney and citrusy hops with some bit of rye spiciness. The taste is up front with the bitterness which is followed by the intense sweetness and the rye spiciness. It is medium-full bodied with quite lively carbonation. Overall its a very drinkable and very good beer. Certainly a good DIPA.

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a very clear dark amber/garnet, with a rather reluctant head that fades to a cap, but which follows the beer. Lots of tight bubbles rising through the liquor somewhat languidly. Very pretty to look at, but bringing it to the nose really reveals something special. Piney hops are quite evident, but the spiciness of the rye lends an intriguing quality that separates this from the everyday. Some pineapple makes its way in too. The flavor is balanced; rye malt, but not too much, plenty of American hops, some fruit, and a hint of caramel. The finish is dry but not at all astringent. In the mouth it is full bodied but not heavy, with plenty of carbonation but not so much to be distracting. Despite the strength and the unusual nature of the rye malt, it is very easy to drink; in fact, I am disappointed my wife bought me only the one to try.

This is far and away the best offering from this brewery, and a world class double IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer was super unique. I poured it from the bottle into a room temperature point glass. It was reddish and transparent looking which I was not expecting from an IPA. It had no head and no follow up bubbles. Not a very strong nose to it. It has a very great taste. I agree with other reviewer, if gulped or sipped to linger it has varying tastes. The latter leaves a much hoppier, bitter taste in my mouth. This is overall a great beer. It is crisp and refreshing. It feels deceivingly lighter than a 10%abv would. Sometimes IPA's feel too heavy to consume more than one. This beer does not fall into that category.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear amber in color with a medium bodied head. 1/4" of head remains on top of the beer after a couple of minutes. Heavy scents of caramel, raisins, and apple. aroma hops reach the nostrils in an earthy sense. Bittering hops explode on the palate with piney and earthy tastes, nutty and oaky flavors also peak through. This brew starts heavy on the palate but finishes rather crisp, alcohol tastes lingering in the end. Overall an excellent beer.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a glowing reddish amber with a towering thick off-white head that slowly descends to a one-finger, lasting head. Great head retention for the abv level! Rings of lacing stick to the glass.

The smell is piney, resiny with citric notes. Caramelish backing.

The taste is piney and resiny. Sweet caramel backs up the bitter hops. Rye breadiness is mixed in. Spicy alcohol peeks through eventually, but well-covered/non-interfering for the 10%. Powerfully bittersweet in the finish.

The body is rich, creamy, chewy. Almost syrupy thick, yet smooth.

Nice! A power-house of a DIPA. Piney and bitter mixed with sweet. More than a pleasure to sip on.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Dark copper with a moderate tan frothy head with great retention. Spicy sweet and rich malty bread aromas. Rich rye malt sweetness followed by a solid earthy spice hop finish with a light to moderate lingering. Thick chewy feel.

This is like a liquid piece of rye bread with strong hops playing with it. A big beautiful malty beer and I just love all the flavors in it. I would love the opportunity to try this at various stages.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Dark amber-red color, but you can still see through it. Average size, sticky head forms with nice small bubbles, ending up as a decent ring and film over the top. The aroma is not especially pungent, it's of sweet dark fruit like plum and fig, and is a bit hoppy but not 'in your face' hoppy. The first sip was so thick and syrupy that it took a second for any flavor at all to hit, but it did, oh boy did it ever. The taste is even sweeter that the dark fruit aroma may have led on. Array of fruity flavors, plum, fig, even dark grapes. Noticeable but not robust grainy flavor from the rye, adds to the overall feel of the beer. And then the hops, how can you forget the hops, it is an IPA after all. This is a malt dominated beer, but there is a good floral, and a little pine-like bite from the hops. This beer definitely straddles the barley wine/DIPA fence. Mouthfeel is nice and sticky, finishes dry. I have used the term dangerously drinkable before, but there is no other term that would apply better to the drinkability of this beer. 10%, are you kidding me?

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my arrogant bastard pint glass. Amber brown color, looks to me like a darker shade of honey . Creamy head that is seriously the color of sand (creamy sand? hmmmm haha).

The initial smell out of the bottle is pretty intense bitterness, you pick up the immense hopping in the smell for sure, but that creamy head mellows it out a little bit I think.

The taste doesn't disappoint dude, seriously. The initial bitterness hits you but is followed quickly by a sweet malt, it really does remind me of a flower honey. The sweetness is backed extremely well with the huge body of the beer, it's a thick one for sure, that extra rye malt really does something great for this one. I thought it would be a little drier on the finish but the malt still holds out and it's smooth as hell until the very end when the 10% abv comes through a little bit and you get some of the pungent alcohol bit I love to get right at the end of taste. Flavors I get out of here are definite honey, a bit woody flavored, mellow though like a deciduous tree in the spring when it's fruit is flowering. I don't get any citrus, but it's creamy for sure.

The mouthfeel is such an anomaly for an IPA, I haven't had a smoother full bodied creamy feeling beer in this category before. This beer goes down as easy as an imperial stout and has the flavor of a double ipa coupled with the sweet rye malt. Crazy good brew, super drinkable with just a hint of the alcohol flavor on the swallow. I recommend for sure, if you like stouts and you like ipas and you want something new and interestingly flavored this is for sure the beer to snag.

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

First of all, very cool label. Great photo of Lenny, the label looks like a theater marquee, and quotes and copy abound. Pours beautiful -- a deep dark reddish beer with a thick off-white head, leaving chunky lacing all over the place. Smells fantastic - dried fruit, lots of different hop flavors, molasses, caramel, rye, berries. It just keeps going. And it tastes just as good - it's got all that and then some - some brown sugar / brown butter / butterscotch / toffee going on in the finish that you don't really pick up in the nose. Full bodied, and goes down remarkably easy for a 10%, heavily hopped brew. Look out if you find this on tap -- a couple of these can end your night early...

4.43/5  rDev +9.7%

Firstly, I picked this out because of the label. A "chosen beer"?? Secondly, don't think I've ever seen a label that showed praise made by bA. Nevertheless, thought that trying an experimental imperial IPA would be a good idea. Can't make out the freshness date on the bottle, but it nevertheless poured into a tulip glass from a 12oz bottle.

It must be the rye malts, because I don't think I've come across an imperial IPA this dark and malevolent in appearance. And I mean "malevolent," because this reminds me a lot more of strong ales like, say, Arrogant Bastard. Darkish-redish, as well as cloudy to the point of light barely making it through the glass. Alcohol leggings, as well as carbonation bubbles that glide slowly to the top of the glass. Not much of an initial huge head. However, a half-finger ring stays at the top, no matter how much it warms up. Scary.

Ahh, now this is how a hoppy rye malt based beer should be! There's an initial spiciness, as well as intense citrus zest and blasts of honey syrup. Beyond the fruity esters, there's a bit of an alcoholic drop, as well as some smells of fresh bread. Not much yeastiness. Can't make out any specific fruits, but it seems well balanced enough based on the aroma.

Cold, it starts hoppy. As it warms, it gets progressively malty, but only so much. The dry hops immediately take over, and the aftertaste is absolutely spectacular, giving me flavors of black cherries, blood oranges, raspberries, and bittered figs. On the other end, there's all kinds of spices resembling black pepper, as well as a brief rosemary flavor. This may sound that it doesn't mix well of paper, but I assure you that it all combines beautifully primarily due to the incredible feel that this beer has. This is its definite highlight, as it is thick, chewy, and bready unlike any imperial IPA I've had - and indeed, is closer to dark Belgian pale ales. A true meal in a bottle, soaked with alcohol and fruitiness.

This is fantastic. It's as exaggerated as you'd expect, or at least how it looks at a first glance, but works really well overall. I'm glad I've finally found an experimental DIPA that I would gladly pick up, for the low price, many times over. If there was a prophecy concerning this beer, I would believe it after consumption.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into He'Brew pint glass.

Appearance: Rich and bright amber orange with a moderate amount of bubbles. Decent one finger of off white head fades into a thin layer. Light amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: Some citrus hops consisting of grapefruit, orange, and lemon. A strong caramel and toffee malt presence with some good hints of rye. Also some hints of dark fruits, spice, and pine. Pretty interesting aroma.

Taste: Big hop bitterness up front with grapefruit citrus and piney hops. Some orange follows with caramel and toffee malts and a strong presence of rye throughout. Also some light hints of dark fruit. Finishes with a little alcohol warmth. A nice combination of bitterness, sweetness, and spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Bitter and thick but still smooth. A little bit of alcohol heat is felt.

Overall: A very good and interesting take on a double IPA. Nicely balanced and complex.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

A - This one is the color of sassafras with a splash of grenadine, and is topped with a small but solid cap of dense beige foam that also shows a splash of reddish color (the influence of the rye?) The lace is extremely fine, but doesn't do a whole lot of sticking.

S - Rhubarb, grapefruit, strawberry, ginger, and pineapple. There are traces of cinnamon stick, cherry candy syrup, and black pepper. This one stands out from others of it's ilk in that is smells spicy and extremely fruity.

T - Juicy grapefruit, cherry, pineapple, and a massive amount of mango make this one as fruity as that Carmen Miranda lady's hat. However, that fruitiness is contrasted with an extremely peppery note that appears at midpalate (first sip is all fruit and hops) and crescendos to a something-tickling-the-back-of-the-throat spiciness that almost makes me wanna sneeze.

M - Full bodied. Sugary and slick at first, but then gradually warming, spicy, peppery, and bitter. This one has a nice three step mouthfeel progression (along with the flavor progression) that goes from fruity-sugary to hoppy-bitter to spicy-peppery and super dry.. Extremely interesting.

D - This a nice change from the usuall DIPAs, but it's far from the best. I love rye whisky and the few rye beers that I've tried (both offerings from Founder's are particularly good... especially Red's Rye), and this is a nice adaptation of those spicy and dry rye notes.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

2x ipa brewed with massive and obscene amounts of rye malt and hops. Wow. Ruby red color and very spicy pine resin aroma. 10.0 abv. Floral notes as well. Flavor is malty, malty, malty providing a huge mouthful. Reminds me a lot like the Arrogant Bastard only more maltier. Bittersweet dry finish with slight grapefruit notes from im guessing Chinook. If you love the bastard youll love this just as much.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured into a Maudite snifter. Pours a medium to dark reddish amber with a fine one finger light tan head with great retention and lacing. Nice aroma of bready malt, dark and dried stone fruit, caramel and a hint of citrus hops. Similar to a barley wine aroma. Flavor of sweet caramel malt, dark and light fruit, slight spiciness and sourness from the rye and alcohol heat. Finishes with aromatic pine and citrus hops which duke it out with the alcohol, finally winning and leaving a long herbal bitterness. Medium bodied with some creaminess. This is a very nicely made DIPA that has definitely crosses the line with barley wines, although it does have a strong IPA hop presence. Very enjoyable.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Pair this with a fat Reuben sandwich and you got yourself a great lunch..

This is a great beer, my first He'Brew actually.
Pours a dark orangeny brown with not too much head.
Smells sweet with a beatiful citrus bready aroma.
Nice and sweet at first then transitioning into sweet and spicy hoppiness then the RYE , Hell yea!
A little thick but very enjoyable.
Could drink a few of these...but maybe I shouldn't..Ahh what the hell why not.?

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Great job, fellas at Shmaltz.

In the big, oaky, fresh and dank, ripe-fruity, bitter, sweet, family of "darker" double IPAs. 90 minute-ish.

Bitter and sweet. Good advertising. Ha! Aren't most good beers though? Bitter and sweet? Sweet, nectars and riper tree-fruits. Juicy hops -don't expect high-profile citrus explosions, though. Malty as all get out. Caramel.

If you like the maltier, oakier, higher-abv DIPAs, this is for you to try!!!!

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company