He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
4.06/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Ratings: 2,016 |  Reviews: 905
2.08/5  rDev -48.8%

Reviewing the Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company (He'Brew).
Score: 60

2011 vintage bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Pours a transparentish mahogany color with a finger, maybe a finger and a half of khaki colored creamy head that settles into a thin layer of head. Slightly below average lacing. 3/5

Smell: Caramel and rye. A lot of a sweet, sugary caramel. Lots of malts. A little funk -- reminds me like the aroma from my first homebrew. Very dank, earthy hops. Aroma is too sweet. 2.5/5

Taste: Very unbalanced and boozy. Heavy doses of earthy, oversweetened caramel malts hit upfront. Huge malt backbone. A giant first sip made me cringe. Has the characteristics of an overly hot, too fresh barleywine. Most of the sweetness is on the front and mid-palate. Finish is quite earthy and bitter, with some rye and spice. Refused to finish this one, and even my Steel Reserve drinking friend had to chase it with with a 312. 1.5/5

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and thick -- entirely too much so for an IPA. Low end of medium with carbonation. Bitter, lasting finish. Too bad I did not enjoy the flavor that lingered. 2/5

Overall: The bottle claims this is a "Double IPA with Rye Malt," but it's really just a hot barleywine with earthy hops.

Recommendation: Avoid this one. Casual beer drinkers may find this one undrinkable. If you must drink this beer, perhaps you should age it for awhile first.

Pairings: Gouda cheese (or the sink drain).

Cost: $11.99 for a four pack.

2.12/5  rDev -47.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Maybe its the rye making this beer darker, but it definitely takes on a darker vibe with concentrated orange and light brown colors melding together. Too boozy in the aroma, rye again not noticeable for all its purported spicy characteristics. Couldn't pull much in the way of barrel out of it, other than the hot booziness.

Taste hit those same notes, hops don't seem to impart much flavor. Just not a style of beer that does well with whiskey, and this one especially. Could use more carbonation to help lift those hot notes.

Expensive and not good. Not gonna return to this one.

2.18/5  rDev -46.3%

22oz. bottle purchased for $4.99 on 7-1-7 at Tanasbourne Haggen.

Pours a copperish hue which actually closely resembles the pomegranate offering from the same brewery. Pours a mediocre head that vanishes almost completely within a few minutes. My first thought upon opening, was that this beer smells a lot like DFH 90. I think it's the malt. My first taste was surprising. It seems as though something is missing. I was expecting something bigger. The hops come through kinda weak, and there is a strong aspirin-like aftertaste which only becomes more prevalent as the beer warms. Other than that, the beer is malt-dominated. Perhaps this one may have been subjected to a few too many nights on the shelf, but I can't confirm without a freshness date. Overall, disappointing.

2.21/5  rDev -45.6%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a hazy orange color. Produced a light cap of off-white froth. Some lace.

(S)- A musty/malty carraway seed spice aroma. Some piney citrus.

(T)- Very bitter and malty with a carraway-seed-like spice. Some citrus, but very faint.

(M)- A decent carbonation level. Very bitter and disjointed. Malty and spicy yet even rather thin considering the style it is.

(D)- Not what I expected. Very bitter and spicy but that is pretty much what it offers. Overall, just very confusing and disjointed for a beer under this style.

2.34/5  rDev -42.4%

Pass right by this beerif you see it unless you like the taste of stale rye bread dipped in bourbon....and i like both of these. The mouth feel is very heavy...again like eating too much bread.

2.42/5  rDev -40.4%

I gotta split with the majority here and say this is an appallingly out of balance double IPA. It was a major disappointment.

It pours a thick and opaque reddish color with little head. The aroma is strong, sickly sweet and slightly woody. The flavor is thick, medicinal and alcoholic, at once bitter and sickly sweet, with unpleasant overtones of raisins and even peach juice. The mouthfeel was viscous and unpleasant.

With so many good alternatives in the same style - including superbly balanced, drinkable examples like Hop Wallop, Dreadnought, Double Simcoe, Ruination, and Hopslam - this beer is an avoid.

2.45/5  rDev -39.7%

Deep ruby color with small and immediate dissipating dark khaki head and lacing.
A sweet, malty aroma, with an extremely sharp rye note. There was some hop in the scent, but the rye overpowered it as well.
The ABV on this one does not stand out with the taste, per se but you can tell that if this was aged the alcohol and rye malts would hopefully balance out. I love great rye beers with balance but this right now does not have it. The rye is harsh and upfront and ruins the taste and mouth-feel for me, probably too much in the recipe, but hopefully I can buy a new bottle and age it, and then hope it mellows. The more I think about it even after aging the body will still probably be too thin and the malt will not change enough to help the sticky-sweet rye which I can't shake from my tongue. This beer is worth a try if you can find it on tap but don't waste your time with a 4 pack anytime soon. If your a fan of rye beers, seek out The Bruery Rugbrod.

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

Dark copper, nearly brown, with 1.5 finger head. Roasted, toasty malt in the nose followed by some citrus and mostly earthy hop scent. Harsh, bitter, roasty malt flavor. Alcohol burn followed, lashing the tongue. The soapy aftertaste stays, bittering the back of your tongue. This beer was very carbonated, possibly to offset the high amount of malt.

This beer is harsh. I think I had it too cold/fresh and should have let it sit. I drank the last third at a warmer temp after a good handful of swirls and it was still very harsh. I've never had anything but a RIS on nitro, but this beer would probably be very good on a nitro tap to smooth out its character. This is a malty IPA, which is definitely not my style. Reminds me of 90 minute but with a whip in its hand, going after your tongue.

2.52/5  rDev -37.9%

Appearance is deep rich vibrant garnet. There is a 3 finger cappuccino colored tight slowly dissipating head that sits on top. Unfortunately the look of this beer is the best part.

The aroma is big sweet grapey alcohol. Malty burnt sugar is all over the nose on this. Smells more like a barleywine than a DIPA.

Tastes like alcoholic syrup. There's some bitter hops and a touch of banana. I think if this was categorized as a barleywine I could have appreciated it better. Since its billed as a DIPA I am going to have to dock it points for being mis-categorized. That and there is no rye presence to speak of.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Its extremely thick and sticky. Its actually too thick and that hurts the drinkability. Low carbonation actually feels appropriate paired with the thick viscous nature of the body.

Drinkability is pore. I choked down half the bomber and did not want more. I won't be trying this again and won't be reccomending it.

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured this undated 22 oz. brown bottle into a Duvel tulip. Head was mild on the first pour and larger on the second. Body was clear, with a dark golden burgandy color.

Smell was sweet. Fruitiness was present immediately and increased as it warmed. Plums and alcohol. Mildly metallic at first. Spice.

Taste mirrored the aroma. Sweet and fruity. Spicy rye richness. The sweetness and the bitterness clashed here. The characteristics of this beer are somewhat harsh and they do not play well together. The intense sweetness overpowers the hops, however, the hops cling to life in the long oily aftertaste. I expected more.

The mouthfeel was rich, full, and boozey. A bit too heavy for me, I could not finish the bomber.

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A deep amber color with a creamy colored head, that is a substantial three inches thick. The aroma is very citrusy, with touches of pine and grassy scents, then is rounded out with hints of malt and rye. That malt and rye come right out at the start of the flavor, it stays there till it reaches the back of the palate and a grapefruit tartness, followed by some grassy flavors. All of that flavor is diminished, by this harsh mettalic taste at the end. A medium bodied feel at first, but seems to water down after several sips. I was expecting alot more from this beer, the aroma brought me to a point, and then I was let down greatly. I will have to try this beer again, to see if I am wrong.

2.55/5  rDev -37.2%

I love DIPA's, but this one did not suite me at all. The taste was not well balanced and the bitterness I usually enjoy in DIPA's available here:Great Divide Titan DIPA, Boulevard Double Wide Pale Ale,etc, was not pleasant. Maybe it's just a different interpretation than I'm used to, but it's not for me. It could be a good ale if balance was improved.

2.59/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Will not be buying again.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company