He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
4.06/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Ratings: 2,009 |  Reviews: 904
4.75/5  rDev +17%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

I truly enjoyed this beer. Excellent taste and feel. This one makes my top 25 with no doubt. Full bodied so for me it would not be likely to have more than two in a row, but I would probably try!

Also, good marketing on the label. I catches your eye and makes you want to give the beer a try. You will be glad you did try it! It also says they use and obscene amount of hops. I don't know about "obscene" because it was very good.

Try it, trust me!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Globe glass.

A. Poured 3 fingers of head. Great retention. Thick lacing. Color is a dark amber/brown.

S. Initial smell is rye malt. Has a semisweet smell to it. Underneath lies some hop bitterness.

T. Taste is also at first heavy on the rye. Nice rye malt flavor gives the beer a contrast of sweetness and bitterness from the hops, hence the name I guess. Hop flavor is not that prominent as is an overall bitterness.

M. Medium/full bodied. Medium/full carbonation. Lingering bitterness.

O. Overall a pretty interesting beer. Not really a DIPA in the traditional sense of what I think of one as. Maybe best described as right in the middle of a DIPA and a Black IPA. I like the flavor that rye provides, so this worked for me.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bomber purchased from Hoosick Beverage in Troy, NY. Served refrigerator temp in a standard pint glass.

Had to pour hard to get a decent head, but it did come and is sticking around quite well. 1" rocky tan foam on top of a dark mahogany brew, leaves plenty of lacing as it eventually settles. Smell: maltbomb. Biscuit, raisin, caramel, followed by some vanilla, citrus, spices. Not very hoppy. Taste follows straight from the nose, huge malt presence, and still not a ton of hops. I'd really peg this as a hearty barleywine, maltier and not as hoppy as I'd expect from a DIPA. Has a nice spiciness, presumably from the rye. Mouthfeel is fantastically thick and sweet without being slimy or cloying. Finishes clean with a good bit of hoppiness that wasn't apparent in the taste. Odd that the hops only come shining through on the finish. I guess that's a testament to how thick and malty it is.

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Purchased in February 07 and consumed on May 10th 2008. Kept in cold storage in the interim.

A-Dark copper/brown with red highlights. Has a slight syrupy look to it ont he pour. The off-white head stayed around for quite some time as I took notes and never really receded fully leaving a 1/8 inch coat for the entire session. The head left a fine looking lace as it did receed to thsi elvel. After each swallow, rings of lace were left on the glass.

S-Aroma was not as strong as I'd beleieved it would be. could be due to the aging. Big caramel malts and alcohol dominate. Piney andgrapefruit notes find their way in the middle. The alcohol also shows it self in the end. Second and third whiffs reveal a doughy/bready quality that is quite nice, almost like bread baking.

T-Big malty sweetness right up front. Pine and grapefruit hops jump right in the middle. There is a coffee and toffee quality percieved int he middle. The finish is spicy rye bread and rye toast. The alcohol is present here as well rearing its head at various times through the session.

M-medium to full body and thick syrupy mouthfeel. There is also a creamy quaility to it that was nice. The carbonation was light to medium and was well balanced with the flavors and the mouthfeel.

D-I defintely would have had another had I had one. I would like to try this one again fresh as it was not as aggressive as I'd expected given what I have read about. That of course does not mean it was by any stretch bad, it was very good.

4.62/5  rDev +13.8%

Tulip

A - cloudy burnt sienna, one finger tan head and nice lacing

S - awesome booze, the rye is great, tons of hops, sweet and toasted malts, spice, funk, wet wood, huge yeast note, fruity and more sweet woody booze

T - the rye is fantastic, nice spice, booze, tons of earth, malt bomb backbone. some citrus, slight dried sweet and citrus fruit, island fruits and some sap

M - full body, medium minus acidity, medium balance, fun complexity and long finish

D - for most, this isn't for you. Huge hop, huge malt and very boozy! For all hop/malt heads, BAM! Get a few 4 packs. Great beer

Final thought - never had anything except for jewbelation 14 and 15 from schmaltz that I enjoy, but this, I love! $8.50 a 4 pack and 10%, love it!

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Hazy caramel-colored body, slightly reddish on the edges, with a very thick bubbly off-white head. The head sticks around for awhile, give significant lacing.

Smell: Right off the bat, strong notes of rye and crisp West Coast hops. Underneath that, some fruity sweetness, grapefruit and apples or pears, with a touch of citrus, perhaps oranges? Overall an interesting aroma.

Taste: Wow. Highly alcoholic, very strong rye flavor. Bitter hops on the backend. Slightly dry in the aftertaste. As you get used to the alcohol and the hops, a slight grainy maltiness appears in the middle. A very imposing beer, perhaps with the alcohol turned up just a tad too high. That and the hops overwhelm the rest of the flavors. It's not bad, but it's very strong, and it's difficult to get any complexity out of it.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick mouthfeel, hops tickle the tongue, some carbonation.

Drinkability: This is obviously a lot of people's cup of tea, but it's not really something I feel the need to drink regularly. It's priced right at $6.99, and I'm sure I'll drink it again, but overall there are much better DIPAs out there.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

appearance - rich deep amber, mostly transparent, huge offwhite head, strong retention, thick lacing

smell - big aromatic caramel malts, light hop bitterness

taste - hop bitterness on the tongue, strong malt presence, tasty profile, some pine notes but mostly focused on the malt in the midst of the flavor, east coast style ipa couple with some breadiness

mouthfeel - big body, chewy, heavy carbonation, some alcohol burn on the finish, lingers, slightly sticky, medium dryness

overall - a bit too balanced for my preference but it's a great ipa, very full flavored and has a unique take, huge huge flavor here

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.75/5  rDev +17%

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

I love rye beers.

I love hops.

What isn't to like? Well . . . nothing. But what is to like?

Some DIPAs are all about the hops. Some of them have a strong malt presence that balances out the sheer hop volume. This is one of the latter catagory, but it doesn't work. It is very sweet, but monodimensional in terms of malt. There is some light rye spiciness, but nothing serious, but it manages to be excessively sweet and dry at the same time. 'Creamy' is the taste/texture combination used to describe this taste of maltiness to me. I freakin' hate it.

And the hops? Resiny, but that's it. The resin conflicts with the light rye spiciness.

Absolutely run-of-the-mill.

Oh, and it is hot as heck!!! The 10% is really hit-you-over-the head noticable. Not my cup of tea.

4.1/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A syrupy thick brownish red with heavy lacing.

Aroma of resinous pine, rye, sweet malt and alcohol.

Initial taste is an onslaught of malt then bitterness followed by intense sweet malts and onto bitter hop finish. The balance is off in a syncopated manner. Very sweet like the Rock n Rye liqueur (you know that bottle that was in your dads bar for years no one would touch--anywhooo) with carbonation. Did I say sweet?!? Alcohol hidden.

Smooth, creamy/sticky and potent.

This will have to grow on me as it goes to my extremes. I do appreciate the style and the rye whiskey adds a nice touch. Nice to have tried.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company