He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
4.06/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,012 |  Reviews: 904
4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a dark amber color, decent sized light tan head that fades quickly, not much lacing on the glass.

Smell is hugely malty, picking up caramel notes, decent hoppiness but I'm sure some of it has faded, still I can pick up a nice piney/citrus element that works with the rye and heavy malt character, the nose on this beer is quite big and filling.

Taste starts out with a sweet caramel malt flavor, a light bitterness follows but it smoothed out by the malt again, strength is evident but not overly harsh, the rye adds a nice dimension that would otherwise be lacking, carbonation is spot on with the thickness of the beer being quite viscous for a DIPA.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Carmel, cloves, and licorice. Oh my! The label downplays the hops and malts when it advertised "BREWED WITH AN OBSCENE AMOUNT OF MALTS & HOPS". This is a beer with lots of flavor. Nice head. The color will make any passerby think that I’m drinking a cool glass of Grade C maple syrup. Soft to the palate, but the favors liven the taste buds. This is a top beer, no doubt, but a little to rich at the en for my weak palate.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured a hazy reddish brown color into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV on the label. Could not spot a freshness date anywhere on the bottle.
Thin film of a head that dissipates fairly quickly.
Aroma is just wonderful. Hops, fruity notes, apricot, peach, hints of spice and lots of malt (caramel and some toffee) coming through. There is so much going on in the nose, so complex and yet so pleasing. I like the concept of incorporating rye in an IPA, but the aroma on this one was nowhere near what I was expecting; very nice.
Taste is absolutely spot on for my palate. The malts completely coat the palate, feels like is a bready sweet carpet on the surface of the tongue which gets punctured by the perfect hop bitterness and the rye spiciness. There is just a hint of bitterness in the finish, which
This is a very well balanced and flavorful DIPA. I have to admit, this is the first He'Brew beer that caught my attention, and I am pleasantly surprised. I would definitely recommend this beer to all the hop-heads out there. Absolutely worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

On tap " The Usual Place" Augusta GA

A: White head, on top of a clear ruddy copper color. Excellent head retention, maybe indicative to the rye, one of the best I have seen.

S: Opposite many of the other he'brew beers, where sweet malt is dominant - this one has a very strong spicy hops character, with the malt playing a supporting role. Somewhat bready but hops, hops, hops!

T: Hello hops, big bite up front, which gives way to sweet malt. Alcohol well-hidden, for this big beer, very tasty if you are a hop head and like pushing the style limits.
Mouthfeel: medium-heavy mouthfeel, dry acidic finish that aids drinkability a little, but the aftertaste lingers.

M: Excellent again for this big style, I like the medium mouthfeel all the way around, with medium carbonation for 10% ABV

O: I swear I could drink 3 of these, but not sure thats a good idea, as one pint was plenty to start my night! Great beer from contract brew (Saratoga) my favorite He' Brew for sure...

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden amber color with a nice egg shell colored foamy head. Head has pretty solid retention and leaves some layered lacing down the glass.

S- Smell is a good balance between the malts and hops. Picking up sweet caramel malts, a bit of nuts, rye spices, piney and tropical fruit hops.

T- Bitterness from the hops hit me first. A bit of sweet malts to balance things out. A bit of heat from the alcohol too. A good amount of both piney and tropical fruit hops.

M- Sticky and medium in body. Carbonation is right on too.

O- Pretty impressed with this one. Very good and I'm gonna have to pick some more of this down the road.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

appearance- a dark amber color with a head that settles down quick and leaves nice lacing.

smell- a equall mixture of malts hops and alcohol.

taste- same as above, sweet, bitter, hot and a distinctive flavor like no other, must be the rye.

mouthfeel- medium body with a little burn that is sticky feeling.

overall- a great beer, i love when i taste a beer that is so different but yet so tasty that i can't put it down. i'm looking forward to trying it again.

3.25/5  rDev -20%