He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
4.06/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Ratings: 2,010 |  Reviews: 904
4.48/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap here at the Yard House in Virginia Beach.

Appearance: reddish dark amber. Head retains very nicely.

Smell: definitely has the classic IPA pine smell. With a hint of rye.

Taste: The rye comes through here but its not like most rye beers, which I liken to drinking rye bread. The hops balance it very nicely here.

Mouthfeel: not overpowering, but the hops linger more than the rye. Which I'm quite fine with.

Overall: Have now gotten this two nights in a row. I hope I can find this back in WI...

Update: unable to find this back home, so I got another pint at the Yardhouse. Perhaps its because of the Rogue swill I had tonight, but I think I underrated this. Spectacular. I've kept the review to reflect my initial tasting.

4.38/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle born on July 2013 into a tulip.
Appearance - red, somewhat cloudy, but plenty of bubbles detected along the side of the glass. Huge, mountainous beige head! Lacing sheets the glass!
Smell - sweet candy, some citrus and floral hops, fresh bread-like malts. Lingering hop resin!
Taste - big time flavor, well balanced with hop bitterness, slight hint of warming alcohol and rye bread! Very easy to drink at 10% ABV!
Feel - complex brew with an excellent blend of hops, rye malts, and a hint of alcohol.
Overall - shocked! I was expecting a very good beer, but this is outstanding! I'd like to try this along side Lagunitas' Sucks, as they are very similar, but from opposite coasts!

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

I specifically remember having this one as a shower beer after the pool one day and it was relaxing as hell. Let's see what it tastes like this time...

Appearance - 4.25 - Dark copper/red/amber color. Thick film of light tan bubbles on top, leaves thick lacing.

Smell - 3.75 - The smell is freaking me out a little - smells like a Belgian yeast strain with breadiness, fruitiness, and some dark fruits in there. Banana, spices, not at all what I'd expect for a rye DIPA. Maybe some hops? but they don't stick out by any means.

Taste - 4 - Alright, the taste is a little better for the type of beer than the smell. The exact same thing happened to me one time at O.H.S.O. here in Phoenix where I ordered an IPA and got a Belgian, but for whatever reason everyone working there told me they were sure it was an IPA. If I concentrate hard I get a bitter hoppiness (pine, grapefruit) on top of an intense bready malt. The rye taste is definitely there.

Mouthfeel - 4 - Medium mouthfeel - definitely a little thicker than most IPAs. Alc covered. Weird bready Belgian yeast taste to it that sticks in your mouth for a while. I'm sure a lot of people see this as good but I'd rather just have the tongue numbing grapefruit bitterness.

Overall - 4 - I think this is a good beer, but the yeast strain tastes so much like a Belgian strain I can't get over it. I wanted it to be more like a rye DIPA.

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Bottle poured into nonic

A: Pretty copper with a light foamy head

S: Grapefruit & Malt

T: Very sharp/hop bomb first taste. It quickly shifts gears to a medium malt flavor. Booze throughout

M: Medium body. Curvy in the right places

O: A very enjoyable, dry RIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%