He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Ratings: 2,002 |  Reviews: 902

3.96/5  rDev -2%

I specifically remember having this one as a shower beer after the pool one day and it was relaxing as hell. Let's see what it tastes like this time...

Appearance - 4.25 - Dark copper/red/amber color. Thick film of light tan bubbles on top, leaves thick lacing.

Smell - 3.75 - The smell is freaking me out a little - smells like a Belgian yeast strain with breadiness, fruitiness, and some dark fruits in there. Banana, spices, not at all what I'd expect for a rye DIPA. Maybe some hops? but they don't stick out by any means.

Taste - 4 - Alright, the taste is a little better for the type of beer than the smell. The exact same thing happened to me one time at O.H.S.O. here in Phoenix where I ordered an IPA and got a Belgian, but for whatever reason everyone working there told me they were sure it was an IPA. If I concentrate hard I get a bitter hoppiness (pine, grapefruit) on top of an intense bready malt. The rye taste is definitely there.

Mouthfeel - 4 - Medium mouthfeel - definitely a little thicker than most IPAs. Alc covered. Weird bready Belgian yeast taste to it that sticks in your mouth for a while. I'm sure a lot of people see this as good but I'd rather just have the tongue numbing grapefruit bitterness.

Overall - 4 - I think this is a good beer, but the yeast strain tastes so much like a Belgian strain I can't get over it. I wanted it to be more like a rye DIPA.

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

S: Bottle poured into nonic

A: Pretty copper with a light foamy head

S: Grapefruit & Malt

T: Very sharp/hop bomb first taste. It quickly shifts gears to a medium malt flavor. Booze throughout

M: Medium body. Curvy in the right places

O: A very enjoyable, dry RIPA.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company