He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mcallister on 06-07-2006

Ratings: 2,000 |  Reviews: 902

4.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For such a huge beer, it had only moderate bitterness and the high alcohol level was backgrounded extremely effectively. I had this on tap at Yard House in Cincinnati. A great, great beer well worth getting a pint (and going to a Reds game very happy).

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Very interesting color for a beer, a deep brown almost ruby color. Pours with a relatively healthy tan head. The initial appearance definitely piqued my curiosity.

Smell: The high alcohol content was apparent from the smell. Also picked up the hops quite a bit.

Taste: Immediately noticed both the bitterness and the alcohol similar to the smell, although the alcohol was less apparent in the aftertaste and the hops much much more prevalent. I was surprised how much the taste changed over the course of a sip, it finished very dry and bitter. Aftertaste is almost like a different beer than the initial taste.

Mouthfeel: Very, very dry beer.

Overall: This might just not be my beer style, but I've had a number of high ABV beers and found the alcohol was not masked in the smell or initial taste. Also very dry and hoppy and I didn't detect a lot of other flavors, although I need to ponder it some more as I finish this beer. Might just be having a hard time characterizing it but was not a standout for me.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

3.56/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak tulip

A: A nice deep brown tinged with ruby redness. Minimal head with ok lacing.

S: Sweet and malty, almost like a mellow barleywine (reminds me a bit of bigfoot, but opposite how that is a barleywine that tastes like an ipa fresh). I get very little hops of any kind, but a weird faint pine scent.

T: Tastes like a weird sort of pines. I don't know how to describe this. The flavor kind of starts and stops, all the while switching gears. It starts out with these odd hop notes and then into some roasty maltness but with no sweetness. You get the malted resin aftertaste, which isn't too much to my liking. It tastes like it wants to be a barleywine part way through with all of the malts and roast flavors, but just falls short and not in a good way. It is a weird clashing of flavors and just comes across as an oddly flavored IPA with barely anything to make it seem like an IPA.

M: Smooth at first but followed by an even crispness that is just waiting for the sign, which is when you begin to swallow. Lots of tiny coarse bubbles.

O: This is my first Schmaltz beer and not off to a great start. I was expecting a lot with that high rating. Not a great DIPA IMO. I don't like the flavor profiles here.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.02/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark golden brown with limited head but leaves white lacing all down the glass. Has a sweet malty smell. I wasn't expecting as much sweetness as I got in the initial taste that had caramel maltiness with a hop backbone. Definitely not a hop-bomb and a nice scotchy after-taste. It has more of a scotch ale taste to it with a medium body.
Overall delicious.

3.99/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap. This beer is advertised with the phrase "an insane amount of malt and hops." Uh yeah, that's certainly true. This is a very, very strong tasting beer. And the first Rye IPA I've ever tried.

A - Pours straight brown. Not a lot of orange or red, a fairly unique looking beer. Medium sized white head, which dissipated slowly. Very little residual noted.

S - As advertised, lot's of malt and hops. Malt more noticeable. Some grapefruity hop aromas, and a slight hint of alcohol.

T - This is one of the strongest tasting beers I've ever had. The huge amount of malt and hops are noticeable, as is a very slight rye flavor. Not much else. Tastes very, very good. Problem is, it's so strong (not the alcohol, either) that it can be very slightly unpleasant if drank too fast. Very good tasting though, not taking anything away from that.

F - A very dry, tart finish. As with the taste itself, it's strong!

O - A very powerful and tasty beer. NOT for the faint of heart! Can be tough to drink to some I'd imagine, but I'd certainly recommend this beer for any DIPA fans, rye beer fans, or extreme beer fans.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%