He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
4.06/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company

Ratings: 2,009 |  Reviews: 904

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

a huge beer, not for the faint of heart. it pours reddish and darker for an ipa, with a bug sudsy tan head. the nose on it is grain heavy for the style, as the rye malt makes its presence felt early and often. theres sweeter grain too, toasted elements, and of course the hops, which fall somewhere north of citrusy but south of piney. flavor wise, the hop bitterness goes expertly with the spicy rye, and is very intense on the palate. the alcohol is curiously missing, which is a shock to me. there is something round and familiar in this beer bringing everything together too, and I want to say its oatmeal, but I cant be sure. its got that softness and sweetness, and the mouthfeel fits the bill, but who knows for sure? the hops outlast the rye in the finish, and my mouth is left panting. its a lot to process. a little light on the bubbles I thought, but the fuller body and creamy feel is really nice in an ipa. also the alcohol was masked very well. overall a beer id recommend sharing, but one I enjoyed very much.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottled: unk

Copper with a solid quilt of light tan foam. Smells like grapefruit, malts, spiced, some pepper, some resin and a good dose of grassy hops. Taste is sweet, bitter, hoppy and with few aparent and special qualities, but I really dig it. I'm surprised to enjoy this one so much, but here I am, wishing I could regularly trust this to be fresh on the shelves. Medium bodied with moderate carb and an off dry finish. Nice beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Lovely deep, complex amber, tending toward a surprising burgundy hue. Minimal head. The smell is disappointingly faint but pleasant, and, again, surprising: a cinnamon-roll yeastiness, more confectionary than hoppy. A stand-up, robust, uncommon flavor, not identifiable as an IPA (at least to my still-developing palate); comparable to the best red ales. Mouthfeel is a fine foamy prickliness. An attractive brew, its allure growing as it warms.

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company