He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Shmaltz Brewing Company

Ratings: 2,002 |  Reviews: 902
3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer was super unique. I poured it from the bottle into a room temperature point glass. It was reddish and transparent looking which I was not expecting from an IPA. It had no head and no follow up bubbles. Not a very strong nose to it. It has a very great taste. I agree with other reviewer, if gulped or sipped to linger it has varying tastes. The latter leaves a much hoppier, bitter taste in my mouth. This is overall a great beer. It is crisp and refreshing. It feels deceivingly lighter than a 10%abv would. Sometimes IPA's feel too heavy to consume more than one. This beer does not fall into that category.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

4.9/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a bottle into a glass. Appearance is solid with a golden amber color. The smell will give the drinker a nosefull of malt with a slight hint of honey and caramel. The taste is incredibly difficult to beat with the rye infusion. The sensation of the caramel comes through with the initial taste as well with a delayed aftertaste. This is an incredibly flavorful beer that can only be beat by He'Brew's R.I.P.A on Rye which is much more difficult to find on shelves.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a dark amber with a nice off white head that sticks around for a while. Quite a bit of lacing as it goes down.

Smell is mostly sweet/caramel malt, but also some grapefruit from the hops. Taste follows the nose perfectly. Fairly well balanced, although I could go for some more hops. I have no idea when this was bottled though, so it might be a freshness issue. The taste is where the rye really shines, providing a very nice spicy finish. I was kind of hoping for a bit more rye but the beer is well balanced with the amount that is has.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost creamy, a real highpoint for this beer. For a ten percent beer this is very drinkable. There is a little warmth in the finish, but this doesn't detract from the beer or effect the flavor in any way. Overall a very good DIPA, with some rye as a bonus.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.

Appearance: 22 oz. bomber poured into a standard pint glass. This beer pours a nice dark amber color with a slightly off-white head. While pouring it out of the bottle I could tell that it was thicker than your average brew.

Smell: Sweet, like caramelized candy. This might be just me, but the first smell I thought of was white raisins.

Taste: Flavors are somewhat difficult to distinguish because there is a lot going on. There is a definite bread-like aftertaste which I'm pretty sure can be contributed to the rye, but it still has the sweetness the scent promised almost tasting like caramel/toffee hard candy. Also, that mysterious white raisin flavor makes its way through. If I were blindfolded and tasted this beer the only way I would really know it was a double IPA is the alcohol. I feel as if there is a good amount of bittering hops thrown in but not a huge amount of flavoring ones. In other words, they really doubled up on both malts and hops but the malts taking the forefront in this one.

Mouth feel: Nice and sticky, just how it looked like it would feel when I poured it. Very smooth for a double IPA, I can tell it is above average in ABV but I wouldn't have guessed 10%.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for this type of beer. If I had more than just one I'd probably drink then consecutively and enjoy the buzz.

Overall: I enjoyed this beer more than any other He'Brew I've had. Which I suppose doesn't say much since I've only tried two. I'm looking forward to trying more from this brewery. Mazal tov!

4.72/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Doesn't look, smell or taste like a DIPA. I understand that there can be a pretty wide range of taste within a particular style, but DIPA? Really? Not just an American strong ale or maybe even a barleywine? Oh well, you should definitely try it because this is one terrific beer. Rich malt flavor with nice bitterness and the rye really sets it off. Beautiful dark tea color. Substantial mouthfeel and just a touch of heat. One of my current favorite beers.

3.92/5  rDev -3%

A- Pours a reddish, amber color with a light off-white head.

S- Good aroma here, with a nice balance of malt and hops, and some scidity, which I guess is attributed to the rye.

T&M- This is a delicious concoction, that does a good job of balancing the hop flavor with the malt and rye. It is definitely bittersweet, that's for sure. The caramel and maybe toffee flavor has your sweet side blending with the bitterness of the hops, and there is just an edge of spice in there to make it even more complex. Somewhat heavier or thicker than other DIPAs, but is pretty smooth for a 10% ABV. Definitely a drinkable brew.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

4.44/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

Pours a very clear dark amber/garnet, with a rather reluctant head that fades to a cap, but which follows the beer. Lots of tight bubbles rising through the liquor somewhat languidly. Very pretty to look at, but bringing it to the nose really reveals something special. Piney hops are quite evident, but the spiciness of the rye lends an intriguing quality that separates this from the everyday. Some pineapple makes its way in too. The flavor is balanced; rye malt, but not too much, plenty of American hops, some fruit, and a hint of caramel. The finish is dry but not at all astringent. In the mouth it is full bodied but not heavy, with plenty of carbonation but not so much to be distracting. Despite the strength and the unusual nature of the rye malt, it is very easy to drink; in fact, I am disappointed my wife bought me only the one to try.

This is far and away the best offering from this brewery, and a world class double IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.3/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle, 2011 vintage.

Pour: Deep, dark copper brown. Looks thick and coating, the almost tanned off white head is well carbonated and lingers for awhile.

Nose: Sweet caramel malt, sweet rye as well as rye spice. West coast hops, citrusy, grapefruit and pine.

Taste: Cloyingly sweet which is strange considering the nose. Otherwise the hops that eventually come through ate citrusy, pineapple, and pine but that malt/rye sweetness comes back and leaves some good rye spice on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thick for the style but perhaps it seems thicker due to the cloying sweetness in the taste.

Overall: Too sweet, wouldn't pick up again.

3.88/5  rDev -4%

12FL OZ. bottle into pint-cone glass.

A - Pours dark-amber/brown, with a thick creamy/tan head...- some great lacing.

S - Hops and lots of malts- some citrus and spicy-rye tones...

T - Boom & Big! A great hop & malty kick at the top, followed by some citrus, then ending with a bit of pine-like spices...Pleasant & refreshing!!

M - Great carbonation! There's a good fullness. Present, but not 'too' much fruity/sweet flavors...The final pine/spice balances the beer out wonderfully!

O - This one is great!! I think what make this beer so good is the fine line of not over-doing 'it' in any particular area (hops, fruity-flavor, pine/spice, carbonation, and last but not least, alcohol level). VERY refreshing and will get again and...…Goin’ to look for a tap ASAP!!!

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Shmaltz Brewing Company