He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On RyeHe'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Rye IPA aged in a Rittenhouse 100 Rye Barrel.
The 2013 batch was aged in Willett Rye Whiskey barrels. 2016 batch aged in Jim Bean Rye Whiskey barrels.

Added by John_M on 12-20-2007

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.5/5  rDev -61.7%

1.85/5  rDev -52.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at my post-"graduation" tasting.

A: Pours a neat, clear amber body with a pinky of off-white foam.

S: Slightly oxidized, dominated by caramel / whiskey, some rye malt, and a touch of pine. It had an overall sweet aroma that I likened to honey.

T: Caramel, brown sugar, whiskey, light tannins, some pine hops, rye spice. It remains firmly sweet, cloying, and syrupy throughout the flavor, and after a while I don't want to drink it. It's unrefined and muddled; nothing really stands out as impressive or well-integrated. Just a lot of sugars and rye.

M: Light-medium bodied; the beer is absolutely obliterated by the rye whiskey, which also imparts a mild heat to it.

D: This is the very example of why you can't just throw a beer in a barrel and automatically make it better. And it was $13 or so. Avoid, it's pretty vile.

2.21/5  rDev -43.6%

Dark orange and relatively flat pour. Aroma was lots of alcohol, but not much in the way of rye. Didn't have the whiskey aroma, it was just pure alcohol heat for the most part, covering up any hop qualities in a significant manner.

Taste, lots of alcohol and bitterness. Where's the hops. Tastes a lot more like old coast ale instead of a dipa. I don't understand this beer in the least. Tastes like a boilermaker, at best.

The beer is a failure in the dipa department for me. It doesn't smell like hops, it doesn't have hop flavor. As for the barrel characteristics, its not pleasant, rather hot and boozy.

I've never been a big fan of this brewery, and this is probably the worst of the worst. Who thinks when buying a dipa with that list of hop additions, that they're going to end up with a subpar, undercarbonated old ale?

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

2.43/5  rDev -38%

This was shared by someone...chswimmer maybe? I can't remember. Oh well, thanks, whoever you are.

Pristine clear burnished amber, the color is beautiful but it looks oddly filtered. It's topped by a small off-white head. Very clean and refined appearance.

It has an oxidized hop aroma. Spicy rye and pine, almost cheesy, like an extra-sharp pecorino romano. This is stale-smelling. There's some whiskey aroma, but not a ton...makes me think of whiskey soaked pine needles. Strange.

Caramel malt and whiskey flavors hit the palate first, followed by strong pine that eventually turns into a firm bitterness. It has some rye spiciness and a bit of whiskey heat, but it's not overwhelming in any way. Quite muddled overall, I dislike the interplay between the barrel and the stale hop flavor. This may have turned out good with more time in the barrel, or if it simply had a more robust barrel character. As it stands, it's mediocre.

I remember enjoying this beer when I had it on tap at Toronado last year, but this bottle didn't live up to that memory at all.

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

batch001
cases469
botted 4/9/2010
pours ruby copper with a big 2+ finger head that left spotted lacing down the glass

smells like a barleywine dark fruit plenty of hops

taste is very bitter and overly sweet - dark nutty fruits spicey peppery rye citrus hops - a complete muddled mess

mouthfeel is full bodied heavy sticky got a brush my teeth after asap kinda brew

drinkability was not good since my share was 75% drain pour

2.48/5  rDev -36.7%

Thanks to jchow79 for sending me this 22 ounce bomber via trade, the label reads as if this may have very limited release/availability. I'm relatively inexperienced in the world of "rye beer", but I'm excited to give this guy a try.

A: Beautiful pour. Large, lively 2-finger head sits on top of a deep hazy orange brew.

S: Earthy hops and rye malts dominate the nose. Also a hint of citra hops.

T: Wow, a unique blend of a hoppy-IPA mixed with a loaf of rye bread. The malts speak first, here, as the initial taste is sweetness, but the hops quickly move and the flavor turns warm and bitter. A mild citrus hops flavor, as detected in the nose, is present in the middle, and slowly gives way to a dominant rye finish.

M: Light and bubbly in the mouth, which gives way to some hop tongue-coating as it finishes.

D: This has a lot of flavor, just not flavors that I personally care for. I love IPA's, but I've never really been a fan of "Rye", and it just doesn't work for me here, either. Still enjoyed trying it, this just wasn't for me. I would not seek this out again.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

Ditto my ratings for the regular version of this beer, with 2 exceptions: first, the color is much more intensely mahogany brown, with less carbonation (to be expected), and second, the taste is even more syrupy sweet and therefore annoying. If the original beer had more balance, I'm certain that the balance would be accentuated and become more complex via aging as well.

2.58/5  rDev -34.2%

Original release date 8/3/10.

Aromas of strong rye whiskey, pretty intense to be honest. You would think a year would mellow this but unfortunately not. As it warms you get more of the malt which is equally as spicy from the rye and ample hopping (I am guessing) and the alcohol. Some bready and caramel maltiness is evident once you dig deep here.

The taste begins with spicy rye malt and a boat ton of strong biting rye booziness. I am pretty overwhelmed to be honest, this is not balanced nor do I think any age will help... So so so much barrel and booze flavors. Caramel malts and citrus hop bitterness try to sneak in but the overwhelming drying/palate wrecking booziness is too much.
Mouthfeel is moderately full but this is soooo dry and unpalatable from the intense rye barrel aging I cannot move past this...

Overall I am pretty much about to give up on Shmaltz Brewing Co. because I have not had a good beer from them yet. They have all been way way way too boozy and unbalanced and abrasive. The Vertical series was decent but less than extraordinary... no I have decided, I am done with them. Not recommended unless you love rye whiskey and want a beer that is virtually unpalatable unless you love rye whiskey.

2.74/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance: Served up an opaque, dark, deep amber body with an inch or so of bubbly, light beige foam.

Smell: Looking forward to this one! Caramel cubes layered with a jolting, frown-inducing medicinal, band-aid-riddled phenolic scent. Some earthiness, some booze, but I'm rather done smelling it for now. Well, I WAS looking forward to it.

Taste: Toasty, caramel candy-coated malts with a modest sweetness. That zippy, spicy rye component still remains, as does the citrusy hops and bitterness. As you get into it, there's this odd, off-putting phenolic acetone flavor leaking in from the aroma. I must say, it really spoils the whole proceedings. Bitterish, sourish finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not altogether pleasant. Sorry, He'Brew, but the thumb points down on this one. I'll be sticking to the standard R.I.P.A. in the future.

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%

Appearance: R.I.P.A. On Rye pours a thick-looking, almost sludgy copper color. It has a big, slow-forming off-white head that has good retention. Not a whole lot of carbonation is apparent.

Smell: Whew, a bunch of astringency and whiskey scents. Underneath, some caramel malt and piney hops. Definitely interesting but not real appealing.

Taste: Some spicy rye flavors, whiskey, and astringency hit the palate first, and they are strong. Underneath, caramel malts, toffee, and lighter piney hops.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium bodied for sure, with low carbonation that is fine. Pretty slick mouthfeel, this is one of this beer's best traits. This beer is too odd and astringent for me to find it very drinkable. It's one of the most unique beers I've had, but probably not something I'd have again.

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Poured into a pint glass with very little head and the color a very clear copper. The nose is strong with caramel & rye malts with quite a bit of alcohol present. Slight floral notes in the aroma as well. The taste has a stong caramel almost liquorice taste which masks the hops in this beer. The aftertaste lingers on the tongue and the alcohol is very present. A little disappointing for a double IPA to have the hops masked by the rye whiskey. If you like rye whiskey and english strong ale, this is for you. It's not for me.

Pours a slightly hazy, light copper color, with a light beige finger of head.

Whiskey aroma, with some oak, malts, hops are hard to pick out from everything else going on. Its good though.

Big booooze and whiskey, rye sweetness and twang. Bits of hops, but not much. Too intense for me, as it s like drinking a mixed drink.

Feel is creamy, slick, full, and slightly coating. Good.

Its not bad, but the strength is top much to drink loads of this.

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

(From Notes)

At local beer festival.

Spicy rye beer with a touch of whisky/scotch flavor...who could say no to that? Sounds enticing, but there is a lot more going on here. Unfortunately, however, the beer comes up a bit short for me.

Deep mahogony color with a decent retention and sticky lacing that I find to be common in Rye beers for some reason. Vanilla bean, rye, and wheatberry. Grainy on the tongue, but has some soft toffee and syrupy fruit flavors of raisin and plum.

The whiskey/scotch flavors in the beer really come out on the back end and, like bourbon beers, really amplify the ABV presence in the mouth, which is a bit offsetting when combined with the upending bitterness of the hop structure. Could used a little sweetness to round out the flavor and perhaps a bit more rye grains to cut through the coarseness of the malt.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

Sampled at the Extreme Beer Fest on 2/15/2008: Pine, cirtus, and whiskey were the most notable flavors. I didn't get any rye. Mostly, the whiskey was too overpowering in this beer.
Aroma: 6/10
Appearance: 3/5
Flavor: 7/10
Palate: 3/5
Overall: 13/20
3.2/5

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%

Draft. Served in a pint glass. Paired with some very tasty wings at a local establishment.

A: Nice finger of frothy white head. Pours a cloudy reddish/orange. Plenty of active carbonation. Very nice.

S: Big rye whiskey and alcohol notes. Some bitter hops and barrel present as well.

T: The smell was a clear portent, this one is loaded with booze and hot hops. The malts and rye are almost overpowered by the whiskey and barrel taste. Sweet malts and caramel notes squeak through somewhat, but they seem to be losing the battle.

M: Typical rye silky smoothness is there, but not as pronounced. Solid carbonation.

D: First sip was intense, but as it warmed up I enjoyed it more. Still I thought it was hot though. I don't think I could down more than one of these at 10% (or more?).

Overall this was pretty messy affair. I had several of my friends rave about this beer when they had it at a local festival, and they described it as being much different. I'm wondering if there's some significant barrel variation or possibly some other issue.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%