He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On RyeHe'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye
3.93/5

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Imperial Rye IPA aged in a Rittenhouse 100 Rye Barrel.
The 2013 batch was aged in Willett Rye Whiskey barrels. 2016 batch aged in Jim Bean Rye Whiskey barrels.

Added by John_M on 12-20-2007

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Purchased as part of the 2013 holiday pack. This being the 2013 version, duh.
Brewed with specialty 2-row, rye ale, torrified rye, rye flakes, crystal rye, crystal 80, wheat, kiln amber, and caramunich 60. Hopped with Warrior, cascade, simcoe, crystal, chinook, amarillo, centennial, Saaz, and dry hopped with simcoe, amarillo and crystal. 10% ABV.

Pours out to a hazy medium brown, forming a creamy light yellow head with fantastic retention and solid sheets of lacing. Carbonation is moderate, about 2.5 carbs or so. The nose is that of an american barleywine...a boatload of hops sitting on top of a sticky huge malt body with notes of molasses, soy sauce, caramel, and bourbon. Mouthfeel is sticky, syrupy, huge bodied. Taste opens with a firm blast of hops, with pine, grapefruit, and orange peel and is followed by syrupy malts with toast and grain notes. A few fruity yeast esters, then a medium firm bitterness which balances well with the overall toffee sweetness, finishing with a firm hop aftertaste and medium astringency. Earthy finish.

Don't think of this as a DIPA, but a rye barleywine. It's a very well brewed beer, and is very rich, but I don't really see myself buying it again.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A great whiskey-barrel aged beer ... for my taste.

I haven't had many whiskey-barrel aged beers. Most have come from Firestone-Walker. I can't say the style is my favorite, but this one from Shmaltz is my favorite so far. It has to be the use of rye whiskey barrels for me. I really enjoy a shot of rye with a malty beer on the side; somehow the combination of flavors is wonderful. And this beer smacks that nail straight on the head.

I'm drinking this nine months after bottling, so that aging probably helped a bit. I'll bet two years on this brew would make it incredible.

It's still luscious as is!

He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. On Rye from Shmaltz Brewing Company