Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13) | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13)He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13)
4.05/5
Exceptional
He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13)He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13)

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by spartanfan on 10-18-2009

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

Finally decided to open this '09 while watching football. Poured it into a porter glass. Head was minimal. Five years ago the alcohol was just too obvious; coupled with Shmaltz's ritual of matching the malt to the year in question (13), it was too sweet for my palate. Still can't find the 13 hops. Alcohol has definitely mellowed and malt much less sweet.

Enjoyable slow drink. Nice coffee-like aftertaste. Not bitter.

Glad I waited five years. Sorry it was my last bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

4.04/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle, purchased fresh in 2009. Drinking from a Duvel tulip. Thought I'd crack this and a 2010 Pumking to support the Rangers (my adopted Eastern team since I'm moving to NY in a few weeks... plus, the Kings beat my Hawks so I can't rightly support them). I stored this bad boy in a box in an interior closet. Ideally, I'd have kept it at about 65-70F, but I live in GA and that's just unreasonable, so it's been at 68-75.

A: Deep, dark brown with a creamy 1-finger head that fades a bit quickly. I'm surprised at the head - at 13% and aged for 5 years I didn't expect much of it.

S: Mostly a sweet malty smell, though there are some nice coffee/toffee scents as well. Maybe even some raisins. Some very mild ethyl booziness lingers.

T: Great malt sweetness. I remember drinking one of these fresh 5 years ago and thinking the boozy flavor overtook the milder, better flavors (I was somewhat of a newbie at the time and still noticed the booze). Now, the situation is reversed. The alcohol has mellowed a lot in the bottle over time and the malty sweetness is at the forefront now. Some coffee and toffee, but the roasted malts are the stars here. A very small amount of chocolate comes in on the back end.

M: Very viscous and silky. This is exactly what I was hoping for all along.

O: Oh, man. If you can find this one, 5 years out, do yourself a favor and locate it. I know some folks are tapping it in the Northeast every once in a while. Look for a Shmaltz tap takeover and get some of it. It holds up even better than the 2007 Black Ops I had last month.

I should note that, as I typed this up, the damn Kings came back from being down 4-2 to tie it up. Jerks.

4.21/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at MacGregor's Grill and Taproom in Henrietta, NY. '09 vintage.

Pours an opaque dark brown, with a creamy mocha like head, and a little bit of lacing down the glass.

Smells include intense dark fruits, roasted malt, and caramel.

Similar tastes. This is very fruity, lots of raisins, plums, and cherries, bringing to mind a cross between a Belgian Dark Ale and a Barleywine. There are some stout like characteristics- some roasty malt and a little bit of chocolate.

Full bodied. Any alcohol burn has faded away at this point. Low to little carbonation. Creamy mouthfeel.

Another vintage Schmaltz beer that was a winner. This seems to have aged well (I didn't have it fresh).

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

3.99/5  rDev -1.5%

Picked this up at Russell's in Amherst years ago. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a nice dark dark brown hue with a good almost two finger dark tan head that fades to leave a thin thin cloud and light halo.

S - Aromas of figs, raisins, molasses, strong malt sweetness, toffee, light light smoke, faint booze.

T - Taste is tons of big sweet malts, figs, raisins, dark fruits, molasses, smoke roast, caramel, toffee, light char, sweet sticky goodness.

M - Mouthfeel is lowly carbonated, very sticky and syrupy. Alcohol hidden nicely.

O - Overall, a tasty beer. Not sure how this was fresh, but it did age nicely. Would prefer it to be less sticky on the mouthfeel though.

He'Brew Jewbelation Bar Mitzvah (13) from Shmaltz Brewing Company