He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010
Liked This Beer

Alströms:

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last
3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

22oz bottle, 8.2% abv.

Ours a clear, deep amber with a one finger head. The foams settles very quickly to a thin layer and ring, leaving a light lace.

Smell; the grapes really jump out at you, dominating the aroma at first. After a little warming the malts start to peek through with a brown sugar and molasses.

Taste; the grapes are definitely noticeable, but not as potent as they were in the aroma. Sweet molasses and brown sugar dominate, with just a hint of bittering hops in the background. The base dopplebock/dubble come through here more, with the grapes being more complimentary.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a low carbonation, and the drinkability is good. I wasn't sure how I would like this beer, even after the first few sips, but as it warmed and the more I drank, the more it grew on me.

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta. Brewed with Concorde grape juice. I'm not sure why the previous entries are classified as American Strong Ales as I'm fairly certain these are brewed with lager yeast so I'm going with doppelbock.

Pours a clear purplish-amber color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of sweet dark malts with large amounts of grape aromas - not quite as Concorde-grape as I was hoping but still with a good deal of the distinctive character. Also present are good amounts of brown sugar and whiffs of crisp lager yeast make their way in and out of things.

Tastes similar to how it smells, though the grape flavors aren't as robust as the aroma intimates. Sweet caramel malt flavors buttressed by crisp lager yeast kick things off. Shortly thereafter earthy grape flavors make their way into things and carry through to a decidedly sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I almost bumped the drinkability up a notch however I had about 8 oz and I'm not sure any more would go down as easily. Still, a nice beer that I'm afraid many will compare to Welch's grape juice although I think the other flavors work themselves in there nicely.

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last