He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

good
He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: Dubbel

Added by glid02 on 05-27-2010

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

Consumed at Blue Palms Brewhouse, Hollywood CA on January 27, 2012.

Beer is a dark amber brown with ruby highlights. Very fine one-finger off-white to light tan head.

Not much aroma - some red grape. Tiny touch of musty malts.

Flavor is strong and none too pleasant. Tastes like Manischewitz Concord Grape wine with bitter wood accents blended with musty old malts. Kind of like sneaking some wine in a cellar. Not enjoyable!

Slightly dry on the finish, which goes a little way to ameliorating the frankly bad flavor.

It is safe to say I did not care for this beer at all, though I did manage to finish my glass.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

this was aged 2 years, 22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.
Appearance: Good look to start, Browish-red, with very little head, no retention, and very little lacing.

Nose: Grapes, Figs, dates, and candy sugar

Taste: Grapes and raisins at the beginning with a bit of malt and toast, then it just fades into a nasty grapey finish that is hard to overlook

Mouthfeel: Carbonation supporting a medium body, but it's impossible to shake the grape aftertaste, it carries over into the finish.

Overall: This started out nicely, but there was way too much grape and raisin- it was a drain pour for 4 out of 7 of us.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2011-12-08 in Columbia, PA

A - Mildly hazy mahogany with a 1/2 finger head that fades quickly and leaves light lacing.

S - Concord grapes, citrus, molasses, dark fruit, some floral

T - Medium roasted malt, belgian yeast, pumpernickel, less grape than in the smell, raisn/prune, orange peel bitterness, spice. Less sweet and more sour and bitter in the finish than I expected.

M - Medium-heavy body and light-medium carbonation. Creamy. Resinous.

O - I enjoyed this brew although nowhere near as much as the Lenny's R.I.P.A

3.29/5  rDev -9.9%

A - Pours a reddish brown with very little head. Not really any lacing to speak of.

S -- As advertised, smells like a dubbel/dopplebock mix. Candi sugar, raisin, a bit of rum, caramel and grape.

T -- Similar to smell. For me, the grape presence seems out of place. An undesirable top layer on what might have been a pretty good base beer.

M -- Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation. Finishes somewhat earthy and dry.

O - Interesting, but not something I would come back to.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from the tap at Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Ga. I took notes at the bar, but writing this up at home. It was classified as a Belgian Dark, at Taco Mac, and was poured in to a goblet.

A: Rusty brown, hazy and with 1/2 finger head. Seemed off white, maybe cream colored, but there was hardly any light in the place. It died pretty quickly, but left a thin film of head, with moderate lacing on the glass. 11oz. pour.

S: It hits the nose with sweetness. Grapes, obviously, and a bit of hops. No alcohol present. Dark fruits in the background. It has me curious about what it will taste like...

T: Immediately, I taste sweet concord grapes, and raisins. But, it fades to more bready tastes mixed with brown sugar and molasses. Malts on the back end as well. It all happens pretty quick. It reminded me a little of grape jelly on toast. Take it for what it's worth. Not too complex, and not what I would expect from a Belgian Dark, though I will admit the menu was a little misleading. My review is based on this being a blended beer.

M: Medium to light carbonation, but a very creamy feeling. Almost heavy body, probably from the grapes and sugar. It coated the inside of the glass with a rather thick layer of brew when swirled around. The sweetness isn't overpowering, but prevent me from drinking quickly. (which I guess is a good thing...)

O: I prefer a regular Belgian Dark, or a Strong Belgian Dark. If I was a introducing a wine drinker to beer, this one would do the trick, as it has so much grape personality. But, if I want that grape character, I'll just have me a Merlot.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Damn I had no idea this beer was around a year old. Still I picked it up for only $5.99

A - Damn for being old I still got a creamy mocha colored head height of an inch or more. Tons of carbonation bubbles too. Color is a nice dark shade of brown but clear and see-though.

S - Ow yeah I can smell the grape juice in the nose. Also the doppelbock notes of rum, caramel, and a bit of bread.

T - Huh the grape adds a great factor to the style making it taste a bit lighter than the typical offering at this ABV. Starts a bit tart then moves to a bit of rum soaked bread with a touch of raisins and a nice bitter finish. Malty and no hops which is expected for the style.

M - Warms my belly a bit but is pretty medium bodied on the palate.

Overall it is defiantly an experience to try this "one off" beer and even though I am not really in love with it I am glad I got to try it and appreciate the company doing something like this outside the box.

A storm left me with no power and nothing else to do but have a beer - things could be worse. Pour was an intersting purple-tinged (at least it looked that way by the light of a flashlight). Lots of caramel and brown sugar in the flavor profile. I can't say that I was able to pick out a distinct grape flavor, but there was a certain lightness imparted to the mouthfeel. Solidly in the doppelbock camp, and I got little impression of the other half of the hybred Beligan aspect. Nice, but not fantastic.

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Poured a darker amber brown color with a very small beige head on it.

Smell is light sweet malts with a bit of grape aroma as well.

Taste is sweet caramel malts. I don't get much of a grape taste on this one. Slightly bitter finish with some alcohol as well.

Mouthfeel is fairly light. Went down pretty easy.

Overall I thought this beer was OK. I don't know that I'd try it again though with all the other stuff out there too explore. I certainly wouldn't mind drinking it thought if somebody else bought it.

2.19/5  rDev -40%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a four ounce tasting glass. Served cool.

A-dark amber body with an off white head. nice head retention.

S-grapey for sure

T-subdued hop flavor makes way for malty front and a grape flavor finish

M-medium

D-not a great representation of the style. Kind of reminds me of Kool Aid.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Bottle for 4.99 from Beertopia in a Celebrator glass.

This shtick makes for some good brew. It's a medium brown color with quickly fading foam. The aroma is an interesting mix of malt and fruit. the taste is interesting and almost unique. The depth and maltiness of a dopplebock with the zest of a dubbel. There's some citrus and fig and a hint of grape. It's one of the smoothness I've ever had with the aftertaste having a bit of lemon-like sting.

This brewery seems gimmicky at first but (in this instance) can produce. Mazel tov

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours dark caramel with a tan head and minimal carbonation. Lacing disappears quickly and becomes non-existent if you let it sit for a spell. The nose is more of dates than grape, but the flavor is definitely manishewitz, caramel, bread and twang (is that a taste?). The fairly heavy breathy aftertaste reminds me it's got some booze in there. Can you say Pike "Kilt Lifter" with raspberry? I can! Woo!

Put it all together and you've got a really odd-tasting beer in a great way!

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours dark amber into a Duvel tulip glass. Looks thick and opaque. I don't see any sediment, but it absorbs a lot of light. You can't see through it. A wisp of a head forms but immediately dissipates into "crema-like" appearance on the surface. There is a brief lacing that slides down the glass back into the beer.

The aroma strikes me as wine-like, a red wine. So the grapes are making contribution to the aroma. The flavor is malty and the grapes give it a very slight wine-like flavor, but not nearly as strong as in the aroma. I taste some other dark fruits, perhaps dried figs or raisins. It's definitely on the sweet side. I'm not sure I could identify the grape taste if I didn't already know it was there. Seeing the grapes on the label has planted that idea in my mind so I do taste some grape juice flavor, I suppose. However, it's not a dominate part of the taste to me. I'm picking up a strong malt flavor with perhaps some candy-like sweetness like a dubbel. I'm afraid any hops that are there are well hidden by the malty sweetness.

The mouth feel is on the heavy side of medium with a low but appropriate amount of carbonation. Not as heavy as some dopplebocks I've had. Most are too heavy for me.

Not a bad beer at all. In fact it's unique and quite drinkable if only for one glass. The bomber is too much for me. I would recommend sharing it with someone. Rejewvenator 2010 surely follows the saying "a meal in a glass" used to describe dopplebocks.

He'Brew Rejewvenator (Year Of The Grape) 2010 from Shmaltz Brewing Company