Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by crusian on 10-21-2010

Reviews: 174 | Ratings: 271
2.05/5  rDev -49.4%

I truly had no idea what I was getting into with this. WE used to get these beers in Kentucky but those days are over. I brought this back after a brutal exam I had in Chicago and well...I'm pouring it and just now realizing the 14% abv on it. I've had a few smaller beers so this might be interesting....

14 hops makes me think Ill get something balanced but no such luck. An extremely dark and malty beer. Chocolate, liquorish, raises, alcohol, brown sugar, molasses, all do be tasted here. All of this on a deep black, creamy to the point that it almost stops the beer from pouring out thick head.

I feel wrong for scoring this and worse for opening this. This is a beer that needs TIME and a LOT of it at that. Give this beer 5 years and try it. For now it's got an amazingly complex flavor, looks amazing, but it's darn right undrinkable unless split up with a few friends and you all just have a taste.

2.63/5  rDev -35.1%

Thanks to THECPJ for the share. Review from notes 11/20/10.

A: Pours a dark copper with little head formation. Little bit of lacing on the glass.

S: Raisins, brown sugar, a little caramel, and a ton of alcohol. Makes me a bit hesitant to taste it.

T: Lots of dark fruits - raisins and plums. Also some toffee and caramel. The alcohol is overwhelming though. It overtakes the flavor.

M/D: Medium to full bodied. The booziness was too overpowering for me. I would consider trying it again with a few years on it, but probably won't bother.

2.66/5  rDev -34.3%

Appearance: Dark brown, almost black. Light brown head with good lacing.
Smell: Overwhelmingly strong sweet malt. Raisins.
Taste: Way too sweet. Dried fruit. Powerful alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Sticky. Ends with a hops bitterness.
Mild carbonation.
Drinkability: Overly sweet. Strong alcohol. Very difficult to finish a glass.
I have had other Barleywines, and although I don't enjoy the style, I have appreciated the craftsmanship of the beer. This one is just overpowering.

2.92/5  rDev -27.9%

This baby has been sitting around for a few months and I'm not interested in seeing what a year does to it. So here we go.

Pours a thick black. Super bubbly tan head that goes away with haste. Smells heavily of booze dipped dark fruit and straight up alcohol, but not much burn. VERY sweet flavor. Super malt and booze combo. It reminds me a six month old Marin BW on steroids. Hefty dark fruit and booze flavors with some hops in hiding. Strong notes of brown sugar. This isn't as hot as i would expect from a 14% big beer, but it certainly makes up in how sweet it is. There's a hop flavor, but not much. Definitely signs of immense complexity in this beer. Toffee, dried fruit of a sweet citrus persuasion. The hops in here don't seem to come off as bitter, definitely more floral. A lot of flavors fighting for it's moment in the taste bud spotlight. Something about this makes me thing this beer wants to be a bit of a beast while try to maintain some kind of form. This beer is definitely a test of patience.

12oz. bottle from the 2011 Holiday Pack

(A)- Pours a very very dark brown color with some reddish highlights. Some tan froth too.

(S)- A deep malty and rich profile. Bits of booze and raisin.

(T)- Similar to the smell. a deep/rich malt profile overall with noticeable raisin.

(M)- A mellow carbonation level. A good balance even though it is quite hefty in the malt department; almost a bit too much actually.

(D)- Overall, it is solid, but easily the booziest of the lineup.

3.08/5  rDev -24%

On Tap at Whole Foods in Fairfax, VA 1/2/11

A: Just lovely. Dark amber, with a faint hint of light peeking through the bottom of the glass. Nice head retention - the lacing sticks around for a while.

S: Strong hints of maple syrup and fresh cut pine.

T: This is where everything falls apart. I had this from a bomber about three weeks ago and just fell in love with it. On tap though, it was an entirely different experience, and one I wasn't nearly as fond of. It was extremely resiney and overly boozy. A strong pine tar tartness stuck around on my palate a lot longer then I had invited it to.

M: Good viscosity. Not overly rich and thick, but it definitely had a backbone.

O: I will need to go back and review my next bottle to compare, because it truly is a night and day experience. I loved it in the bottle, and found it bordering passable on tap. If presented a choice, buy a bottle and call it a day.

*Paired with a turkey dinner

3.13/5  rDev -22.7%

Appearance - Dark and opaque. A thick head that dissipates at a good pace.

Smell - Malts. Syrup. Caramel. It smells exactly like it looks. I feel like I could stick my head really close to where the syrup comes out of a maple tree and get a similar smell. Well, if I had a bag of malt grain with me too.

Taste - Malty and bitter. It's not as sweet as I initially thought it would be. It's definitely bitter and I can feel the alcohol flow through my blood on every sip. However, I can't taste the alcohol, so that's really nice.

Mouthfeel - It stings in my nose. It's got a bit of a burn to it, which is probably the alcohol, and the sugar makes it a little uncomfortable to drink. The way the beer encompasses my mouth with the burn is really not my thing.

Drinkability - I don't really enjoy it from the heavy malt and alcohol. As far as a beer for a fun occasion (the first night of Hanukkah) I'm totally fine. I can't see myself drinking this again..it's just too malty.

3.17/5  rDev -21.7%

A: Pours dark brown with a finger of tan head that recedes into a thin ring with no lacing.

S: Some roasted malt and sweet chocolate notes at first followed by lots of sweet fruits: raisins, dates, and plums. Molasses notes with a touch of soy follow along with an alcohol aroma.

T: Similar to the aroma, there is a hint of roasted malts and chocolate at first. Lots of sticky, sweet flavors follow: molasses dominates with plums, raisins, and just lots of sweetness. Light alcohol burn towards the finish.

M: Medium-thick body with low carbonation, this beer is very syrupy and sticky feeling rather than being creamy.

O: An alright beer. I was honestly expecting it to be worse at 14%. It suffers mainly from the same problems that other really high gravity beers have, which is that it's just way too sweet to enjoy much of. A small glass isn't bad, but an entire bomber is too much. I'd prefer the sweetness to be more balanced with roasted malts or hops. Still, it's not a bad beer.

3.17/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz bottle into a snifter.

A - Pours a dark amber, like a high-end honey. Not much in the way of head, which is expected given the abv, although what it has does stay for a while. Bit of lacing on the glass.

S - Large amounts of caramel, toffee, brown sugar, and alcohol. A raisin-y sweetness lurks in there somewhere.

T - Big emphasis on caramelized sugar and toffee, a bit of roast, and then some dark fruit -- raisins, figs, and plums. The finish is long and sweet. Nothing subtle here; it smacks you in the face. It's classified as an American Barleywine, but I'm not getting much hop bitterness. Some alcohol burn in the finish as well.

M - Thick, viscous, and chewy. Solid for a barleywine.

D - The burnt sugar aspect does wear on me after a while, which is just as well, since there's no way I could go through another bomber of 14% beer.

O - This might be better classified as an English Barleywine, but really it's somewhere in between. But you really can't beat the price -- I picked this up for $4, so I'm definitely thinking about picking up a few more for those times when I'm not concerned about subtlety and just want to enjoy a kick in the rear.

3.2/5  rDev -21%

Pours a deep black with two fingers of toasted brown foam. Bittersweet chocolate, honey, maple syrup, and roasted coffee on the nose. Rich and syrupy texture, like drinking melted ice cream. Very full bodied with little carbonation. Dark chocolate and honey dominate the palate with coffee tones coming in on the finish. This a tasty beer with enough bitterness to it so as not to be overwhelmingly malty sweet. Somewhat too gimmicky for me.

3.28/5  rDev -19%

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A one finger tan head is slow to rise, and gently recedes. Nice lace is left behind.
S: Big roast up front. Chocolate, cream coffee, sweet toffee. Lots of nondescript hops linger that leaves a strong bitter finish.
T: Lots of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate. Tons of sweetness. Sticky toffee. A bit under under attenuated. Lots of bitterness in the finish.
M/D: A full body that is slightly sticky. Though good carbonation and smooth. A monster ABV, and harder to sip on than I would like.

This needs more time. Just to big, to sweet, and to bitter of a finish. Something to hold on to for years, but not that accessible right now.

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

A - Would look amazing for a stout but is over carbonated and too dark for a barleywine in my opinion. It pours black with a thick head that fades down to a thin head that remains.

S - Boozy notes come through mostly. If I had to pick up on anything else I'd say maybe some dried prune or raisin whiffs in there. If you really look for it you can pick up on some hop aroma as well.

T - Has the "hot" or alcohol taste that you'd expect from something 14%. This is a good beer, but it has a lot going on and almost seems out of balance. Fruit sweetness with some bitter finish.

M - Fine, nothing really to comment on.

D - It's high alcohol will make it hard to be considered an easy drinker. Combine that high alcohol with it's lingering finish and this beer is more of a sipper than anything else.

3.37/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured into a wine glass.

A: Deep chestnut brown with a small tan cap that quickly fades to a ring at the beer's edge. Leaves no lace.

S: Quite boozy. Dark fruits dominate with raisin and prune aromas. Baking chocolate is up next. Alcohol adds a heavy tingle to the nose.

T: Again, quite boozy. The dark fruits from the nose start things out. A light burnt flavor comes on next. Bitterness is well balanced and adds pepper, plus a hint of citrus. Alcohol hits late with a system permeating warmth that burns a little as it goes down.

M: The medium-heavy body is slightly syrupy. The carbonation is about right.

D: I came away thinking that this would be a much nicer beer with the heat turned down. Not bad as a nightcap.

3.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Bomber into pint glass.

A: Thick, carbonated body topped by a half-inch brown head that blows out quickly into a very skinny ring and some patchy islands of bubbles, then nothing. Body is just about jet black.

S: Alcohol, raisins, and hops, in that order. Very sweet smelling, with just a bit of floral hopping--maybe some pine notes, but otherwise pretty malty. Not bad, just a bit odd. I guess it might even be over-hopped for a barleywine.

T: Flavor's not bad, actually. More malty bitterness than hops bittering. Sweetness in the beginning peters out into something more balanced than I expected for the size of this thing. The lingering bitterness is not all that charming, however--vaguely metallic or something. The hopping is pretty confused, as is the beer in general. The diverse grain bill doubtless yields many competing subtleties, too, none of which I can discern--again, just too confusing.

M: Good, full body with appropriate carbonation for the style. Not very boozy tasting, but with 14 different kinds of malts, I'd expect that aspect to be covered up well.

D: This was a good value beer--only 6.99 for 14%ABV? Couldn't pass it up. Overall, though, I don't think the formula--14th Anniversary, 14 malts, 14 hops varieties--makes for an appealing beer. It's big and boozy and will get the job done, but there are better barleywines out there. Overall a cute concept and a good value drink, but I think one's enough for me.

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%

on tap at pope in philly. served in tulip glass.

Pours a deep opaque black with a thin, tanned head, very little lacing or film.

Slightly subdued nose with earthy wood, dark fruit sweetness, candied sugar, hoppy edges, and warmth.

Strong candied fruit with raisins and dates. Burnt sugar and syrupy molasses add to the sweetness. Some oaky vanilla tannins with earthy qualities. Dark roasted malts with charred edges and anise. Boozy warmth continues throughout the profile. Finishes bitter and warm with earthy dark fruit.

Full syrupy body, very sticky and viscous. Slow, long drinking, and pretty hot on the palate. I somewhat struggled to finish an 8oz pour of this, it was a bit too sweet and hot for me.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

12oz bottle (from vertical mix pack) poured into a snifter glass, on 03/21/2011.
Pours black with what appears to be dark brown highlights. Mocha head with little retention, and little lace. This one smells of brown sugar, molasses, sweet honey-like notes, dark fruit and booze. Taste follows with a more pronounced alcohol presence (warmth) and some metallic off flavors. Thick- full body and low/medium carbonation round this beer out. Once again the Jewbelation beers are good but need some age to perfect- booze needs to mellow.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Pours an opaque black with monster head. Low carbonation.

N: Brown sugar, medicinal grape, grapefruit and booze.

T: Molasses, brown sugar, cocoa, coffee, toffee and sugar.

M: Medium bodied, semi-creamy and bitter.

D: Decent drinkability for 14%. Sweet, bitter and delicious.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

Poured a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Quickly dissipating tan head--Wesley Snipes black with slight red hues.

N: Plum and biscuits and raisins.

T/M: Stone fruit (raisins and plums) with the hint of egg-nog or brandy. there is a slight hop bitterness, but it fades very quickly behind the booze and sweetness. Very thick body.

While I certainly appreciated the complexity of this beer, I did not enjoy the sweetness. Maybe with a bit of age this will mellow out.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a bottle into a goblet. I split the bottle with a few friends.

Appearance: Pours a super dark brown color with just a bit of light coming through. There is a smell layer of tan head that goes away completely.

Smell: Very sweet. There are hints of dark fruit, brown sugar, and some banana as well.

Taste: This beer is super sweet with a crazy amount of malt. I guess this is to be expected. I'm picking up dark fruit, brown sugar and molasses flavors. There is a mild hop bitterness as well, but it is definitely overshadowed. The finish is quite hot from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The body is quite think and syrupy. There is a very mild amount of carbonation and the finish is slick on the tongue.

Drinkability: I liked this beer, but I definitely couldn't drink too much of it. The sweetness makes it kind of tough to get through too much, but given the abv I expected this. The alcohol is quite hot, but it isn't unpleasant. I don't know that I'll look for any more, but I'm glad I got to try it.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: dark brown almost black with a 1 finger head

smell: sweet malts, alcohol

taste: sweet malts, alcohol, almost a barleywine

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, full body, oily aftertaste

drinkability: glad I split this with friends. lots of booze in this one.

cheers,

The cpj

3.56/5  rDev -12.1%

Black with some brown around the edges, then brown head that recedes quickly.

Raisin, burnt sugar, a whiff of peat, slight herbal hops, and some alcohol in the nose.

Toffee, burnt sugar, ash, dark stewed fruits, dried cherry, and raisins coat the palate and a subtle yet firm and lingering bitterness to finish.

Very heavy and low carbonation.

Less oxidized than the others in the series. Almost like a bittersweet liquor. I liked it a lot more than the Amaro that some guy bought me a couple of weeks ago.

3.57/5  rDev -11.9%

A: black / stout-y and fizzy with brown head. Oily and effervescent.

S: really smells like a bourbon-aged quad or stout. Oaky, boozy, malty, dark fruity, more booze.

T: oaky, alcoholic, malty, fruity, but not super spicy or complex. A touch of sweetness in the middle before the dry, boozy finish. I think it'd be a better brew with less booze but their department of symmetry would disagree.

M/D: slick & oily with lots of carbonation. Finishing this bomber by myself will be tough, but I'll get through it. I prefer 13.

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured into a snifter.
A=Pours a very very dark brown, almost black, with a 1 finger head that has decent retention, leaves rings on its way down. Great looking beer.

S=My GF could smell this from halfway across the room when I opened the bottle, very powerful smell. Big caramel malt aroma, with toffee, alcohol opens the nose and a fig smell is in there as well. Smells like this is going to be a doozy.

T=Hop bitterness strikes first, with the caramel malt coming through, and a very sweet smell, with some boozy taste coming out in the aftertaste, dark fruits as well. Strikingly complex

M=Very oily, full bodied, low carbonation, chewy. Something about it is a tad off putting to me.
D=The thickness, ABV, and mouthfeel make this a one and done

Unusual, not a bad beer, but I was expecting more

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

A bottle brought back from NY this past spring.

A dark brown, almost black brew is poured into a chalice, a single finger head forms and then recedes.

Smell is of sweet dark malt. Alcohol is preceptible as well as a lactose sweetness, dark fruit and majule dates. The fourteen types of hops are not perceptible in the smell.

Taste is fairly sweet upfront and just like the smell suggests, dark malt, dark fruit and some sweet chocolate candy notes. A slight bitterness in the taste but this is a sweet malt forward beer. A fairly full mouthfeel, the alcohol is detectable but not overwhelming for a beer that is 14%.

American Stong Ale is what this beer is according to the style on this site. This beer is something like a very sweet imperial stout. I am not too sure about the fourteen types of hops, the hops certainly did not appear in the smell or taste. This is a single dimensional brew.

3.63/5  rDev -10.4%

Dark coloured body with a good sized head, lacey. Roasty, imperial stout resemblance. Acidic finish fom the roastd barley. Some burnt parts. Some chocolate malt, mollasses, burnt brown sugar. Not an everyday beer, this was a sipper. Jason's bottle from the revived vertical pack.

He'Brew Jewbelation Fourteen from Shmaltz Brewing Company