Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

He'Brew Genesis 15:15 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

Style: American Barleywine

Added by Viciousknishs on 09-29-2011

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Amazingly rich, and wonderfully Sazerac barrel aged, this Genesis is remarkably complex with esters of grape, mandarin orange, fig, date, toffee, coconut, persimmon, kumquat, plum, cherry, chocolate, cappuccino, rum, and, of course, lots of rye. The body is silky/syrupy, but not as heavy as i had anticipated, and the massive flavor profile is incredibly balanced with no excess heat , despite its 13.4% abv. This is a very sweet and luxurious ale, for sure, but the Sazerac aging has dried it out sufficiently in the finish for it to be a wonderful sipper that continuously calls me back to indulge in another "hard" taste. To date, I’m not sure I could come up with a better fireside liquid companion to take away the chill of what’s shaping up to be another colder winter than usual. I’m glad I stocked up on a number of these beauties!

3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

The head is about 2 fingers high off of a pretty aggressive pour. Head color is light tan and the head is between rocky and creamy. Head sticks around for a little while and the lacing is light. Color if the beer is a very, very dark brown.

Plenty of dark fruits, sour fruit, and caramelized malts, sweetness, boozy alcohol heat, molasses, and brown sugar. Behind that, and really way in the background, are some hints of oak, whiskey, vanilla, and chocolate. For being aged in whiskey barrels, there really isn't much barrel presence.

Taste is in line with the aroma, sadly. Dark fruits, slightly sour fruit notes, syrupy fruit juice, sweet caramelized malts, light chocolate and chocolate covered cherries, molasses, some brown sugar, plenty of hot alcohol as well. Again, as in the aroma, the barrel aging aspect really isn't very apparent. At best there's notes of oak and whiskey, with a slight twinge of vanilla on the back end, and that's after this has warmed substantially. Taste is better than the aroma, and reminds me more of an English barleywine, but still nothing great.

The mouthfeel is decent, but really just average. Consistency is smooth, carbonation is light, body is medium, and the finish is medium length.

Overall, I have to say this beer is about average at best. Maybe it would benefit from some lengthy aging, since it is pretty hot currently. However, with such a subdued barrel presence in both nose and taste, that will only continue to fade with time. This certainly left something to be desired, for me, for being a barrel aged barleywine.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

A- Dark brown/copper color. Almost no retention, some lacing. So far so good.

S- Vanilla, whisky, chocolate, oak, dark malts, and some fruity notes hiding in the background.

T- Fruity sweetness immediately over shadowed by oaky hop bitterness on the end. Big flavor, strange but nice. Very clean finish for a beer so big.

M- med to a slightly heavy body, dries out a lot leaving a very clean finish.

O- nice offering from Schmaltz, their barrel releases are getting much better.

4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a bottle of this after getting several recommendations at the spot where I bought it.

Appearance: Very dark brown, almost completely opaque, but a reddish haze can be noticed. Have about an inch and a half of toffee head. Seems very tasteful

Smell: Vanilla bean, but with a mix of dark fruits such as grapes, figs and actually maybe a slight touch of chocolate (cocoa). Also has a nice chestnut-like taste.

Taste: First rush is instant rush of a fine liqueur. Has a nice tone of vanilla in the beginning along with a thickness that also appears to be caramel flavorings . This brew has nothing less than great, fresh flavorings. Only reason I don't give it a higher rating is mainly because of the whiskey-like feeling I get in my chest once I engage.

Mouthfeel: Great creaminess that is brought in well with what I consider moderate carbonation. Nothing this beer has to hide.

Overall: Wow this beer rocked my world. I bought this thinking it really wasn't going to knock me off my feet. Boy was I wrong, I instantly noticed this beers power and awesome flavorings. I will totally grab this beer again, and knowing that its Hebrew, I'm assuming its Kosher which is something positive to think about. I will warn any newcomer that this brew is nothing to be taken lightly. I know most of my friends think Victory's Golden Monkey is something serious, but I think the bar just got raised HAHA. Cheers!

3.12/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from Sept. 2011 22oz bottle into snifter.

Appearance: a dark reddish brown with a dark white head that fades and leaves no lacing.

Smells: a super sweet dark fruit that is dominated with a sour fruit juice backbone.

Tastes: a strange unique ale that coincides with the nose. It is a sweet barley wine with a major juice flavor that isn't to balanced in my opinion.

Mouthfeel: there is a strong sting from the 13.4% but the strong fruit tastes balance it in the aftertaste and there is very little carbonation.

Overall: this is a strong fruit flavored barleywine in my opinion. I don't think I personally would buy it again due to the fact that I don't get much of a barrel flavor through the sweet fruit backbone.

He'Brew Genesis 15:15 from Shmaltz Brewing Company