He'Brew Genesis Dry Hopped Session Ale | Shmaltz Brewing Company

He'Brew Genesis Dry Hopped Session AleHe'Brew Genesis Dry Hopped Session Ale

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Balanced between a West Coast style pale and amber ale with just enough malt sweetness to highlight a flurry of hop aroma and flavor

Added by MasterSki on 12-13-2011

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a light copper/brown with a huge head into my glass. Fades to reveal lacing.

Hop bouquet is a delight with Centennial, Cascade and Simcoe hops used for aroma. The malt bill is generous with variety.

The use of wheat, caramunich and dark crystal malts gives this session ale a tasty twang.
Sweet and crisp as well. Hops are more apparent in the aroma than in the taste.

Lingering caramel, brown sugar from the malts. Not much for hops. Very tasty regardless.

Well worth a try if you need something simple, yet tasty.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had this in a shaker pint.

Frothy finger and a half - width on this white cap, the foamy tempest dies to poker chip width, leaving behind a pseudo-patchy sheet lace. The clear body is copper-gold with decent carbonation jets.

Herbal and estery aromas with a kiss of pine, the bready malt is discernible through the hop profile and compliments the green buds well. Some slightly tropical aromas sit in the glass as well, but take a while to coax out.

The flavors are soft, offering some herbal and estery distinction on mid-palate , a little more flowery than herbal. The finish is redolent with earthiness that plays more to the herbal qualities present. However, there is an underlying sweetness from the Munich and wheat malts present.

This Genesis has a medium heft and good creaminess, while still feeling a little watery as it runs through the mouth, with a very short finish.

Genesis is a good beer. For being dry-hopped, I was expecting the nose to be more aromatic. Even still, the hops and malt are well balanced, and the addition of Munich malts add a well received sweetness to this pale. And the flowery, herbal hop notes certainly get noticed on the palate. Genesis is solid, and I would certainly have it again, matches how I feel about Goose Island's Honker's Ale. I would never seek this one out, but would be hard pressed to turn it down at a bar if I saw the tap handle.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into pint glasses and enjoyed over 20 minutes.

Color is a mildly hazy drab brown amber with a small cap of frothy off-white head. Falls rather quickly with little lacing.

Aroma is surprisingly malt-forward and honey-sweet. Milt tastiness is there, too, but very little in the way of hop aromas. Interesting, but unexpected.

Flavor is fairly sweet, like the nose, with nutty caramel and hop resins, but not really hop-bitter. It's not stylistically correct, though it's drinkable.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation. Briny, chewy, and even a touch sudsy. It's quirky in this regard, too.

This brew is an odd outlier as a pale ale, but I enjoy the nose and can drink it rather easily. It just doesn't meet expectations, at all, and I'm not sure I'll try to go back to it and make it fit with food or any different experience.

3.32/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Ladies and gentlemen, once more, from the cooler of the soon-to-be-famous The Friendly Greek her in Lancaster, PA, we have another bottle deemed worthy of my consumption and review.

From the bottle: "Silver Medal World Beer Championships"; "Top 50 Brewers in the World"; "Kosher Certified Rabbi Approved"; "Why is this beer different from all other beers? In the beginning, there was an idea, and it was good: A Gourmet Kosher Microbrew to celebrate the bounty of our own American land of milk and honey. Witness, a renewed Genesis: the evolution of our first creation! A smidgen of Middle East inspiration, a dash of West Coast ingenuity and an East Coast garden of brewing delights ... Then we tasted it, and it was very good. After 5000 years of civilization, savor a microbrew with the chutzpah to keep calling itself The Chosen Beer. From the Golden Gate to the City of Gold, may HE'BREW join in the blessings of your lives. To life! L'Chaim! [undersigned] Jeremy Cowan, Proprietor"; "MALTS: Specialty 2-Row, Munich, CaraMunich 40, Wheat, Dark Crystal HOPS: Warrior, Centennial, Cascade DRY HOP: Centennial, Cascade, Simcoe".

Why do the "Notes" mention a new recipe and then not give us the specs? For those who may question why I transcribe the verbiage from bottles and CANs, it is because by doing so, I create a semi-permanent record. It eludes me as to why this is not done in the "Notes" section, but since I have the data in front of me, I feel compelled as an archivist to get it transcribed.

It used to drive my ex-Old Lady nuts, but I like utilizing an aggro pour. She claimed that it may disturb the lees, but if that were the case, I would expect the label to give me a Heads Up somewhere. I find that it creates a massive head and really releases the aromatics. Like in this case. Two-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with great retention were the initial result, followed by a strong grapefruit-citrus odor that filled my kitchen. Hallelujah! I may be personally full of chicken fat, but at least my glass is full of Shmaltz. Color was a deep, burnished copper (SRM = > 17, < 22) with a lot of floaties in evidence. Perhaps they saturated it with hops? Nose had a definitive grapefruit/grassy quality making it hard to parse out the individual pieces parts of this particular puzzle. Mouthfeel was medium and I got caramel malts on the tongue initially until the hops started battling for supremacy. It became a confused melange with one unable to tell where one ended and another began. The finish was dry, certainly hoppy, but I just felt unfulfilled when all was said and done.

He'Brew Genesis Dry Hopped Session Ale from Shmaltz Brewing Company