He'Brew Funky Jewbelation '12 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

Shmaltz Brewing Company
New York, United States
shmaltz.com

Style: American Strong Ale

A blend of 6 ales aged in 73% rye whiskey and 27% bourbon barrels. The blend consists of He'Brew Jewbelation 15, Vintage Jewbelation, Bittersweet Lenny's RIPA, He'Brew Origin, Reunion Ale '11, & He'Brew Messiah.

Added by Pahn on 03-30-2012

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

3.83/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

batch 001

poured a dark brown, 2 fingers of head which dissipated into a ring (1/8" thick) leaving no lacing behind. smells of bourbon, chocolate, hint of dark fruits. this beer is definitely all over the place.. starts off with a roasty chocolatey flavor, moves on to a funky/sort of sour stout feel, pulls off of that into a tart berry flavor (maybe their pomegranate ale), then into a bourbon profile.. medium body with low carbonation, finishes very sweet. overall, this isn't a bad beer.. but it's just a little too over the top to be worth seeking out again. like i said, it's all over the place flavor-wise, but i kind of expected that. for what it is though, it's not bad at all and worth trying at least once.

2.48/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

Had this over my birthday,

Appearance, A good very dark brown with 1/2" head

Smell, had some great whiskey, rye, and a little hop notes that I could detect.

Taste, Upfront more carbonated than their usual beer. It gets weird here, the pomegranate was SO overpowering that it made this beer undrinkable in my opinion just way to sour. It was just too much for me. There were flavors of Jewbelation 15 that I could barely detect so I went back for a few more sips till I couldn't take it anymore.

Overall, a good one time experience and it is definitely a Funky beer. So for any who love a strange tasting sour, try this one out

3.37/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I got this bottle in a kind of trade a few weeks ago. I am breaking my head if i got this bottle from Trevorjk but i will ask him the next time i see him...

Poured in my small duvel tasting glass the beer looks nice, pretty dark fluid and a decent head.

The rest gets disappointing from there on. The beer is too sour for me. I dont know if its the hops they used or the yeast or any other ingrdient. I also can not detect the bourbon and whiskey there should be in the bottle. It is there but not as noticable like the other is this style...

3.72/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bomber poured into a Burley Oak snifter (Batch/Cases: 001/999; Bottle Date: 3/6/12)

A: Nice minimal tan head with a deep dark brown body that is close if not pitch black.

S: Excellent smell on the swirl. Lots wood and bourbon notes. Lots of scents but they are all quite sweet smelling. Quite a lot of raisin and roasty notes as well.

T: WTF is that flavor!? It's so "sweet" that it almost gets you to pucker as if it is tart/sour. I almost don't want to take another sip to fully detail out the experience. I got that shiver that you get when you are trying to eat/imbibe something bad that you don't want to but kind of have to. So, after that all that I guess I am warming up to it a little bit. It seems that the pucker is from an actual bit of tart/sour/funk. It gets much better the more you drink though. Lots of raisin. It really tastes like a syrupy cola, it makes me think that this is what the stuff in the box for the fountain soda (the syrup) would taste like. It really tastes more like a wine (which my mother said).

M: It is a bit thin but comes across as syrupy with just a prickling of carbonation.

O: This is a very surprising beer starting off. It comes on strong and then settles down as your palate adjusts and comes to terms with what you are drinking. I wasn't expecting the tart/sour notes, which is confusing coming with the strong, sweet notes of a BA stout. This sure is one funky beer. It's good but surprising and not another one I would go out of my way to acquire again. However, I wonder what it would be like with a fair amount of age on it.

4.5/5  rDev +21%