Reunion Ale '12 | Shmaltz Brewing Company

3.92/5
Alströms:

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Chilled 22 oz bomber into a 33 cl snifter. No visible bottling or best-by date.

Look- Deep chestnut with two fingers of frothy parchment-hued head that falls quickly. Very nice ropy lace.

Smell- Milk chocolate, golden raisin, treacle, warm autumn spice- nutmeg, mellow cinnamon, molasses cookies.

Taste- Similar to the aroma with a cold-brewed coffee twist. Warm, soft spice, ovaltine-like, decidedly malty but not unwelcomely so. Very chocolaty, but it works well - not too sweet and the spices aren't overdone and mesh well. Something slightly tannic - almost a woody character. Hops are in the background but present, black tea flavor rounds out the finish.

Mouthfeel- Full, soft feel suits it well. Low-medium carbonation, silky. Very mellow for 8% - booze is well under wraps. Very nice.

Overall- Not a beer to blow you away, but well integrated and flavorful. The spice and cocoa additions and balance are exceptional and play off the rich malty backbone quite well.. This is definitely a beer I'd revisit, too bad it's a one-off.

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours dark, robust brown/black with a great head. A dark reddish glows in there as i struggled to find bright enough light to hold this up to. Bubbles visible only as they crept up the concave sides of my Chimay chalice.
Smells chocolaty, cherries with some fig maybe. Walnut.
Wow I sip this and it's different now because I taste creamy vanilla that I couldn't smell in the glass. Is that the cinnamon that's coming off as almond/ walnut? The initial taste I really dig, the way the vanilla fills my mouth with a creamy burn. I never tried a beer like this. I'm glad this is for a good cause as well.
With spices and a bitter but nice finish. Creamy, great carbonation. Slightly metallic, or something, on the back end.
I liked this very much, and as a brown ale I'd say easily the best I've tried. Next to the vanilla, I enjoyed most how the cinnamon translates in this brew. The linger in the aftertaste (cinnamon that turns metallic/ mineral-like) is the only thing that keeps me from having a higher overall liking of this beer. I'll also add that for being listed as 8% abv., it seems as if these guys had a lowball reading on the hydrometer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

4.01/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a snifter glass. The beer pours dark brown to black with very little head. The aroma is strongly of dark chocolate, vanilla, and some cinnamon. I get some alcohol sweetness in the aroma as well. The taste follows the nose. I get plenty of dark bittersweet chocolate with some vanilla and plenty of cinnamon. I got plenty of dark malt that doesn't come across as too roasty, but brings some nice toffee notes. The body is medium with light carbonation. There's some spiciness that remains in the aftertaste and makes you crave more of this beer. It's dangerously easy to drink. This is a very good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up at E.B.I. beverage, right across the street from the brewery in Saratoga,NY where this is brewed.

A- Deep dark mahogany with touches of ruby. It starts with a nice thick tan head poured into my Ithaca Excelcior tulip. A ton of sticky kahki lacing drips all down the side and never lets go.

S- Fresh cut vanilla beans, milk chocolate, and woody cinnamon. No hops, no yeast... just a ton of cinnamon/cocoa/vanilla and sweet malts. Hints of sweet cream and coffee. Jeez... I'd almost like to have this hot while sitting next to the fire this winter.

T- Like vanilla/cinnamon cocoa! Really nice notes of bitter coffee and sweet cream. Not a ton of depth or complexity, but what it has is really nice. Reminds me of a fantastic iced coffee.

M- A touch bitter, nice creamy feel. Just a bit too much cinnamon for me. I wonder if that would settle down with some time and let the let the vanilla beans and cocoa shine thru.

O- I wanna revisit this with some time on it instead of so fresh. If the cinnamon and coffee mellow out a bit, this could be really nice! The vanilla, milk chocolate and some dried fruit may shine thru with some time. Well worth trying.

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%