Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

Reviews: 422 | Ratings: 745
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

A large, 1pt, 9oz bottle picked cleanly from the shelf of a great beer store in Omaha, NE, namely, Beertopia. Need I digress that this was the last one on the shelf and the only one left in the state?

This was an interesting pour into a tall, Weizen-style glass from the Viking Brewery in Wisconsin.

Appearance - Great big, beefy looking head with nice carbonation led to a thick, frothy head. Within 3 minutes, this reduced to a smallish, ¼ inch head, leading me to believe the brewers feigned a large off-white head but wanted the consumer to quickly obtain the liquor within. Color was deep amber and beautiful, given the rauch smoked scent awaiting me. Did I mention this head lasted for 3 minutes?

Digression...I must admit, I'm hooked on any beer from this brewery. My great uncle's second cousin's great grandfather must have known the owners. This beer runs in my veins.

Smell - Smoking will be outlawed soon in Wisconsin, and to be honest, I'm not sad. What will be a travesty, however, is if they also outlaw smoked-flavored malts leading to biers brewed in Bamberg Germany. The amazing scent of this inauspicious libation is incredible. It is forefront and sweet, with a tad bit of citrus underneath. Fantastic!

Taste - The bomb! I was certainly hesitant about a smoked Weizen, but seriously, this lemony wheat has something special lurking beneath it. A bit tart floated on the back of the palate beneath a hesitant peat-like maltiness. Incredible and very different.

Digression - The 1st time I had a true rauch, I wasn't at all looking forward to the next one. Two day's later, I was slightly invoked again, but the 3rd time, I was hooked. To my dismay, I awoke to residing in Wisconsin and limited by the $4+ price, but not completely. I've got to travel to Bamberg. Last time I was in Germany was 2001 and my tour bus only incurred a proximity of 34 miles and never stopped within 48 miles.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation held well in spite of the head fading moderately. The palate was firm, but the taste following was a bit watery. Yes, I know, it's not a perfect beer, but certainly a high ranking elsewhere.

Drinkability - Given the lighter mouth feel, there's a tradeoff between the heaviness normally wanted and the drinkability. As a result, this is a higher offsetting ranking that makes this lower alcohol based beer a great time if one is actually sitting in a bar close to the brewery.

Wait...for the warming. It's been 19 minutes now and...this beer get's better and better with each passing minute. The sad part is, I doubt it will last past 27 minutes, but I'll try to refrain from the instant gratification that beerturbation would give me.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

16.9 oz bottle served in a weisse glass.

L - cloudy, brown color with a good sized white head that left lots of lacing behind.

S - smokey aroma, very good.

T - sweet smokey flavor, malty with some subtle spiced flavors.

F - medium bodied with crisp carbonation.

D - goes down smooth and easy.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Cloudy, dark amber with a golden hue around the edges. Frothy, white, half-inch head that thins to about a quarter inch. Very good lacing as it goes down.
Smell is smokey malts, with barbeque, and sausage.
As with the nose, smokey malts dominate the taste. Barbeque and sausage, with a little bacon (with a bit of melon) and more smoke at the end.
Mouthfeel is crisp, with a medium-light body.
Good drinkability on this one. Excellent beer overall.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

A: Pours a slightly hazy caramel color with a head that took up half the stange on a soft pour. Good retention.

S: Smells of BBQ pork with a touch of a floral aroma

T: Fruity red wine-like flavors at the start with a smokiness that holds off for just a bit and then grows with intensity in the finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation that stays out of the way of the flavor.

D: I freakin' love this stuff. It's of course not your everyday session beer, but one that I wouldn't mind drinking often.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a thick cloudy light brown, like opaque prune juice. A couple fingers of tan head sit thick and sticky on top, some nice lacing. Looks like a meal.

Beautiful sweet salty smoke right down the middle, very much smoked meat, smoked salami, smoked salmon. Mouthwatering.

Starts with a subdued sweetness and mild banana before quickly taking second place to the balanced smoked meat flavours. Whats great is that the zesty hefe character gives a nice counterpoint. Smoke is great, this isnt overbearing ashtray or charred wood, this is delicately cured and smoked meats of the finest quality. Finishes with a little yeasty zing.

good full body and bright carbonation, this is one you can roll around in your mouth.

Absolutely love the Aecht Schlenkerla smoke character that is so dynamic and complex. Lighter and more delicate than their flagship brew, this gives a nice play of sweet smoke savoury and yeasty.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

500ml bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy medium brown with a HUGE rocky three finger head that refuses to fade. Amazing.

Smell is moderate smoke along with some orange peel and yeasty banana.

Flavor is less smoky than I was anticipating. Smoke is intermingled with orange and bubblegum. A mild tartness appears towards the finish along with a light bitterness. Mouthfeel is smooth and a little sticky. Nice clean finish.

This is an outstanding beer. While not my favorite of the Schlenkerla series, it is an interesting take on a witbier and is amazingly refreshing and quaffable.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What a find and I’m so excited to try this. Dark copper color with smallish head. So yeah it’s not as full bodied as the other Schlenkerla beer I’ve had "Marzen", this one blows away my expectations. I just love the smokey bacon taste of this. Slight taste of babanas that I didn’t expect to find and a bit lighter that the other. I cannot describe this to someone that doesn’t care for smoke except to say "it’s like licking the inside of a chimney that burned white ash". I’m glad they make it, because I like it.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

500mL btl. poured into a tulip.

Dark earthy pour with light ruby tones and a massive, thick, stable and long lasting head that is absolutely amazing. The head comes is a dense as a nitrogen stout, with uber tight bubbles. Good tan lacing.

Smells of smoke and light wheat sweetness. Not overwhelming but I would have liked a little more depth, but for a smoked beer its what I expect, I have been a little stuffed up so that doesn't help.

smoke, lightly wooded but more oily BBQ smoke, like from meats and bacon fats. Smooth with a medium bitter hopping on the finish. Mild sweetness and hints of spice. Chocolate and over roasted dry coffee; french blend.

Smooth to start, thinner than I expected, with a high crisp note (mainly of the roasted coffee, reminiscent of caffeine in a dry espresso roast bean) just past the middle and a dry CO2/hop dryness on a short zesty and tight fizzy finish.

As I said, more on the nose but it may be the fault of my nose, but I still would top it out at 4.75. I would like more creaminess and more body, on the mouth feel, but I guess it is a marzen so stylistically it is correct. In the taste profile more wood and a little less oil, but that is a personal preference, I love wood smoke. Its an intro rauchbier, the marzen is a waste for me, give me more body and more smoke and more smoke and more smoke and body...and smoke. The 4.35 average it gets is generous considering my tastes it would only be about a 3.8-3.95

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle with no expiration date or lot code. Sampled on Feb. 26, 2010. The pour is amber-red with a frothy, silky head about three inches thick. There is a smokey cheese and firewood aroma to it along with a bit of wheat and toasted pie. The mouthfeel is rally smooth and delicate with a taste that is a lot like smoked cheese, barley, and pleasingly mild hops. This was a type of beer I would go for often.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This beers pours a hazy copper color with a creamy head that last for a little while. The smell of smoked is very very strong and tastes the same. Beef jerky lovers beer. The smoked flavor does not last very long as an after taste which is good. This by far is the best rauchbier I have ever had. I plan on brewing it my self.

Thanks to doughanson78 for hooking this bottle up in the 666 BIF

A - Poured a copper color with a tan head that leaves some lacing behind

S - Compared to the other Schlenkerla beers the smoke is pretty light but its still very present and good smelling

T - Like the nose the smoke isn't as strong as the rest of the line up but its the dominant flavor with a bit of a wheaty finish

M - This beer has a lighter body with medium carbonation to it

O - Rauchbiers are a favorite style of mine and while this is a lighter one from Schlenkerla its still a very good beer that I could drink all night long worth trying if you ever see it around

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer is a murky brown/orange/amber in color. A big fluffy beige head sits on top and sticks around for a while. Huge smoke on the nose of this one. Similar to a campfire. What a conglomeration of various tastes on the buds. Very interesting indeed. This beer may not be right for everybody, but it is growing on me. First, there is of course the smoke flavor. Fairly heavy but also rounded. Then there are the weizen characteristics: banana, cloves, vanilla, phenolic character and pepper. Body is about medium. And the carbonation is just about right. Nice mouthfeel. Unique beer worth a try.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a bottle purchased a month or so ago at Beverage Warehouse on Mayfield in Cleveland, Ohio. No observable freshness date on it. Poured into my Brewery Ommegang Rare Vos glass. On the back label announced in English is "WHEAT."

A Great, generous off white head over a brown, amberish body. Nice look, lighter than the other Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers that I have had.

S Ahh...that great honey smoked aroma. I really enjoy this smell. It is different than other beers and smells delicious!

T The smoke hit me first, then the grainy malt of wheat. Like a wheat beer with honey smoked ham. Not much hops at all. Lots of malt, smokiness, grainy wheat. Really, it is exactly as advertised. I always give high marks for that.

M Plenty of carbonation dances on the tongue. This is a moderate to big beer. Moderate in that its base is a wheat and big due to the big smoke taste.

D Good. I have found all of the Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers to be good with drinkability.

Notes: Another interesting Rauchbier from this brewery. I might prefer its brothers a bit more but this is a very good beer overall. This one might be a good gateway beer for Rauchbiers since its smoke does not hit you like a ton of bricks.

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%

A campfire wheat beer? Sure, why not. I like fire.
I'm going to try to recall this, so work with me.
Hazy pour, typical of a weizen style with maybe a darker golden color to it. Don't recall the head, I think it was adequate, but honestly. I was going for the nose, and what smokiness and wheat were going to give me for a ride. Enjoyable, if you like to drink the essence of a healthy campfire burning with crisp wood. Some brightness and snappiness happening just underneath, and obviously with its smoked barley. this is a malt forward beer with hops having only a bit player role. Definitely be an interesting food pairing beer and also a sharing beer with those who enjoy such things.
A very old style and traditional one that warrants your investigation, and more brewers in the new world riffing on.

4.31/5  rDev +10.2%

A- All within style except for haziness. A rich dark tan with light tan head that settles to a lace.

S- Very smoky, ham-like, with rich malt character in the back.

T- Smoky and malty, malty finish, with the malt becoming more predominant as it warms.

M- Almost perfect to the style. Medium body with medium-high carbonation, the smoky finish leaves a hint of false astringency.

D- The most drinkable rauchbier I have ever had.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Bottle poured into a tall Hef glass

A - Hazy amber in color. Kind of a plum amber. Head is very tall and foamy. Head dissipates extremely slowly. Head is retained until the glass is drained. 4.25/5

S - Fairly smoky. Reminds of when my wife worked in a meat plant and would come home with the scent of liquid smoke on her clothes. Dried bananas. Cloves. Undertone of bread. 4.5/5

T - Roasted malt in the beginning transitioning to a hefty smokiness and bananas, then finally by cloves. Fairly complex. One flavor follows the next. Hint of toffee. 4.5/5

M - Fairly low carbonation. Chewy in the beginning. Finishes somewhat dry which was kind of surprising. 4/5

O - My first smoked beer. Very complex with a multitude of flavors. The smoke was balanced nicely by the sweetness of the banana flavor (yeast). The clove flavor really came out in this one. 4.25/5

4.3/5  rDev +10%

A: Poured a dark and cloudy mahogany red with an off white head that was frothy and well lasting. The lacing was minimal.

S: The nose was light smoky wood and campfire aromas. Not as strong or dominant as their other beers there was still tell tale signs of smoked meat with some dried bananas hints that came through. Overall a very pleasant experience.

T: The initial flavor was equally as pleasant and smooth in character with some smoked wheatiness and light smoked port coming through as well grilled salmon. The yeastiness does show sings of life here with some dried smoked banana chips. The overall smokiness adds a nice flavor without being overbearing with some light charred woodiness.

M: medium full with a good carbonation presence. Very smooth and malty.

D: Drinkability was very good I thought with a nice soft roasted smokiness that only added layers of complexity to an otherwise already fine style.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before Jan 2016 and served just below cellar temperature.

Pours a muddy copper-amber colour, producing just over one finger of dense, creamy-looking, light beige-coloured head. Retention is decent; it seeps away slowly over five minutes or so, leaving behind a smooth cap and foamy collar. Lovely aroma that is dominated by beechwood-smoked malt, reminiscent of ham or maybe smoked salmon. Mild hints of banana, clove spice and bready, wheaty sweetness are less attention-grabbing, but play an important role nonetheless.

This is a very nice cross between a German-style wheat beer and an authentic rauchbier. You get a hint of the smoke at first, but it is wheaty, bready malts and some caramel sweetness that provide the initial burst of flavour - followed soon after by notes of plum and applesauce. Beechwood smoke and clove spice take over toward the finish, providing a bacon-esque savoriness alongside hints of earth and wood. Medium-bodied, with restrained carbonation levels and quite a smooth, soft feel on the palate. While I usually take my time with their märzen, this little number is just way too easy to knock back - I'd eagerly drink another, but I'm saving the other bottle for the slow cooker.

Final Grade: 4.3, an impressive A grade. As a big German wheat beer fan, I'm probably a little biased as far as this one goes - but I just have to say that I really prefer Schlenkerla's Rauchbier Weizen over their märzen. This one's smokiness, though still a strong presence, is less "in-your-face" when compared to their other brews, and a much more drinkable beverage for it. Keeping in mind that I can still count the number of true rauchbiers I've had on one hand, this is definitely my favourite so far - though I can surely understand why serious smoke beer aficionados would prefer one of this brewery's bolder offerings. A definite must-try in my books; one that I hope to see imported on a more regular basis.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

another courtesy of Viggo. thanks eric!

500ml bottle. sampled jan 31/2011.

pours a hazy orange with a thick cap of white head. the head drops slowly and leaves a bit of spotty lace.

aroma is good. smokey! rich deep meaty smoke, with a nice weizen spice hiding behind it. light caramel. lightly earthy. whole wheat bread. bit of biscuit and grain.

taste is great. nice and smokey, but it seems slightly more restrained, or perhaps integrated, than in the aroma. light caramel. lovely weizen spice. whole wheat bread. bit of caraway rye too. touch of biscuit and grain. hint of alcohol. nice earthy character.

mouthfeel is good. just under medium body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is great. excellent integration between the smoke and the weizen. these guys do good smoked beer. already looking forward to the urbock that's on deck!

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Love these beers. Appearing very dark at first but is dark ruby when held up to the light. A soft off white head coated the glass well. On the nose is smoke (obviously) with some whisky-like peatiness. the banana/clove weizen part of it is fighting to get past the bushfire, but it is faintly there. No noticeable hop presence. Drinks crazy smooth. There is a little more of the weizen character on the palate. Medium carbonation and wicked long finish. It would be a waste to session on this but it is also quite addictive and really leaves me wishing I had more in the fridge. Absolutely delish on this chilly evening.

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Brownish orange and hazy, this beer sported a fluffy offwhite head. With of whiff of this, nobdy could ever mistake this beer for a non-smoke one. Bigtime smoke aroma as well as a little malt. There was still immense smoke taste, but it wasn't as big as in the nose. I tasted the hearty wood smoke first, followed by mild wheat characteristics, mainly the body and mouthfeel, and the beer departed with a slight hop bitterness. It tasted a little like hickory smoke, but I've been told otherwise. It was much more balanced beer than one would expect from smell alone. A great beer for for when you're in the mood for something a little differnet. It's also fun to introduce others to a world beyond Bud with this one!

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

500ml bottle poured into a tall pilsener glass.

Quite a dark medium brown with yellow highlights. Large ricky head recedes to a ring. My second try at Rauchbier, loved Schlenkerla's Marzen. While that bre was all massive ham nd bacon, the smoke aroma here immediately recalled smoked fish...not n a bad way. Perhaps the sour wheatiness conveys smoked trout rather than bacon. The smoke is huge on the nose, but doesn't overwhelm the palate as much as the Marzen. The smoke is intense, unique, delicious, but the tart character of a good German wheat beer is identifiable: lighter, a hint of clove and even banana if you concentrate. Long long somky finish. Love this stuff.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

Another solid beer from the Aecht Schlenkerla line of Smoked beers. Poured out to a cloudy light brown / slightly golden color with a very nce head. Aromas of hickory smoke, well aged cheeses and a touch of sweetness was noted. Taste is far less smokey than that of the other Marzen and Urbock, but still has a smoke like character. Flavors of spice, grain and chewy hops were noted. Finished somewhat like a wine, with a dryness that was not unpleasurable. Those new to smoke beers should start here, then move on to the Urbock, and then when ready, go for the Marzen. Recommended.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

This brew is a hazy dark brown color, with a good sized cream colored head, resulting from a fairly rough pour out of the bottle. Some malts accompany is nice smokey wood scent. Some wheat characteristics greatly balanced out by tartness, smokey taste always lingering just below the surface. Med bodied, fairly creamy mouth. Some characteristics of the wheats i love with an added smokey rauchiocity. Pretty dank.

4.29/5  rDev +9.7%

In short, think of liquid smoked bacon!
Or you would experience a smoke chamber/ cold campfire on your taste buds.

The smoke smell is just slighty and gives away that something new to your taste will happen. Freshly tap'ed the smoke strikes much better than in the bottle but it is dominant in the background.

Touch of maltiness is on top of the dark smoked beer. As a wheat it is a bit low on the carbonation side but still offers the refreshing drinking.

Schlenkerla is a beer for food!
Real german leverwurst, or smoked bacon, fresh dark bread (wodden fire), or simply a bretzel and butter.

The on-tap experience is worth to travel to Bamberg!

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla