Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

3.57/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Hazed brownish amber colour with one finger of white head and some lace. Smell is of smoke and campfire, meaty BBQ and bacon with underpinnings of banana, wheat and spice. Taste is a nice mix of smoke, banana and BBQ, campfire and spice with points of cocoa showing up at points as well, quite complex and well flavoured. Medium carbonation-medium body. Solid stuff, very tasty and extremely enjoyable.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I like smoke beers in general, but I didn't care much for this brew. Oak wood smoke doesn't seem to agree with me. The beech wood smoke of their marzen and ur bock is lighter, with less of a sour element to it.

3.59/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +4.3%

Very tasty rauchbier. From bottle into tulip glass, poured a medium brown, lacing faded fairly quickly. Smell has notes of smoked cheddar, leather, malty notes of caramel wheat and barley. Aroma is strongly smoky and rich.

Taste has a smooth smoky start, smoked cheese, robust with some caramel, drying smoke, a bit woody and earthy. Creamy mouthfeel, beechwood, some caramel sweetness, raisins, banana rich hefeweizen yeast notes, smoked pepper. Delicious with a drying earthy finish.

Very dilicious and creamy full bodied weizen, smoky and spicy with a rich earthy and spice notes, overripe banana and cinnamon clove spice, with smoked bacon and wood.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I approach this bottle with a high dose of trepidation. A fear really that I spent almost 3 English pounds on a potential drain pour. You see it is my first smoked beer but they say try everything once.

Pours really nice, but what the hell is that smell, poured with such a large head that I had to wait a little to let it settle before I could finish the bottle. It is a tan colour, similar to a port although very cloudy.

The smell is just smokey although a nice smoke aroma, like an open wood fire rather than an ashtray.

Taste is once again very smokey. I can only compare it to the taste of smoked fish without the fish flavour of course. I am struggling to pick up on the banana and clove flavour as promised on the bottle. The smoke dominates everything.

Apparently this brewery do smokier beers than this. I recommend starting with this as although I have yet to try the rest this is as smokey as I could manage. Definitely not a drain pour, I am enjoying it and I probably will buy again. Possibly in winter in front of an open fire though.

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

4.26/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

500 mL bottle. Deep reddish brown color with a beige head. Fairly clear since I left the yeast behind in the bottle until the last few sips. Smoked meat aroma with a hint of malt sweetness. Smoke dominates the flavor, however it's more subtle when compared to the Märzen or Urbock. Smooth on the palate. A sweet and smoky, yet restrained, rauchbier. The more I try from this brewery the more I am enjoying them.

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

Schlenkerla are, for me at least, the definitive brewers of Rauchbier - or ‘Smoke Beer’, and their Urbock is one of my all-time favourite beers. Now that is. When I first tried Rauchbiers it was a Schlenkerla Marzen (about 3 years back) and I thought “WTF is going on?!”: You see I didn’t know I was buying a Rauchbier; I thought I was buying a Marzen, which was a style I had become enamoured with at the time... little did I know then that today I would take a Schlenkerla Urbock over any Marzen any day of the week. How tastes have changed indeed. Moral to the story: Schlenkerla Urbock is an awesome beer, get it... now!

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: Deep hazy seal brown body with a 1.5 inch light-beige head that slowly drops back leaving a hearty lace on the glass. This is where IT is at. Bring it Schlenkerla! 9/10.

S: Even though Schlenkerla only smoke the barley malt the aroma of smoke still dominates the aroma like nothing else. This is their Rauch-Weizen but you’ll be hard pressed to pick up anything other than that smoky bacon fragrance that I love the Urbock for... Hmmm, I take that back: a second deeper whiff reveals hints of sweet malt and spicy clove Phenols. 9/10.

T: Nah, get the Urbock. This tastes similar, although with a clove spiced ham to Urbock’s rauch schinkenspeck (smoked bacon) sandwich. However the Urbock has quite a bit more going on in the flavour (and the mouthfeel as we will soon [spoiler alert] find out). The wheat in this also makes it drier in the finish and consequentially less enjoyable than the Urbock. All the above said - even Schlenkerla’s average brews are still world class. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light carbonation and a hint of creaminess. 8/10.

D: This was alright, I think the Weizen aspect of this could be a lot more pronounced - i.e. more banana and cloves to compliment the smoke, but I do still like this brew, tis a solid Rauch. Overall as a famous philosopher once said [this is someone from the future, in the future, talking about me] “If you can get Urbock: Get Urbock! If not, this is still decent... GET URBOCK!”. 8/10.

Food match: Christmas ham dinner or cheese and nut platter, decisions decisions.

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.96/5  rDev +1%

3.88/5  rDev -1%

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

A: crystal clear; medium brown with amber highlights; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly to a thin cap; OK lacing;

S: smoke is subdued; wheat is noticeable; a little ham; a little clove;

T: smoke is front and center; tastes like the Swiss landjaeger I grew up eating; a touch of banana toward the back end;

M: light to medium bodied; highly carbonated; mildly dry;

O: surprisingly light bodied considering the flavor profile;

3.4/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev 0%

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla