Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

4.47/5  rDev +14%

Poured into a Chimay goblet, leaves a nice, thick head with decent head retention and lacing. Very cloudy brown color, with some bubbles coming up. Looks nice at the very least.

The smell is complex - loads of smokiness, nice malt presence, a bit of wheat and ester flavors. Hops are not very prominent.

It's got a very strong taste of smoked meats, loads and loads of smoke. It's almost all smoke, but there is a moderate taste of wheat and some clove or banana estery flavors towards the end. A very subtle taste of hops prevents it from being too overbearing.

The mouthfeel is really excellent, quite creamy and slightly carbonated. Extremely easy to drink, yet has a very distinct, strong flavor. An extremely well-made beer.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

From the 25 fl. oz. bottle with no expiration date or lot code. Sampled on Feb. 26, 2010. The pour is amber-red with a frothy, silky head about three inches thick. There is a smokey cheese and firewood aroma to it along with a bit of wheat and toasted pie. The mouthfeel is rally smooth and delicate with a taste that is a lot like smoked cheese, barley, and pleasingly mild hops. This was a type of beer I would go for often.

After having a bad experience with the Maerzen and an amazing experience with the Helles I decided to get this.

Pours into my weizen glass with a hazy and dark amber/orange and a big foamy off-white head.

Smell is a battle between campfire and hefeweizen. There are hints of burnt wood, roasted malts, lemon, and clove.

The flavor is exactly what I was looking for, nice smoke over a traditional hefe tasting base, the lemon, wheat, and clove flavors are all there and the smoked malt lingers in the background.

The mouthfeel is epic, the perfect feel.

The helles is better than this one but this is an awesome brew right here.

2.99/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer so, the 2.5.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky. I gave it a 3.5 because it is unusual and as I drink it a kinda took a liking to it so, I could not give it a 2.5.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try one more. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more.
I have to say, the taste is unique.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a rather dark, hazed, orange/amber color with a large, cream head that falls to a cover leaving only small splotches of lacing.
The smell is very smoky and continues throughout a long, deep inhale.
The taste is, again, huge smoke with a kind of oily. smoked/cured meat flavor. There is a small bit of pepper like spiciness as well.I get a bit of astringency here too which takes away from it.
Mouthfeel is medium/thin.
Drinkability is fine though a couple of glasses is all I would want. The Marzen is better. This would be best drunk with some nice cheese and smoked salmon.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured in to a wheat glass. Very dark mahogany color which surprised me, not as dark as the bock but was expecting a wheat to be even lighter in color. Nice big frothy light tan head with sporatic lacing. That great smokey aroma with hints of bread. The taste was milder than the bock but I feel the smoke flavors just overpower the wheat flavors. I did enjoy this but do wonder why they bother with the wheat. Out of the 3 rauchbiers I've had from Aecht I think this is the weakest.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This was a good beer, but I did not enjoy it as much as the smoked Märzen I had at the same bar last week.

It's a very dark amber with a decent head retention and pretty carbonation but little lacing, and the smell is very smokey, it was hard for me to find any weizen character in the nose. The beer is smokey upfront with a tart wheat ending.

I didn't feel like the flavors blended as well as with the Märzen--I wanted a little more banana and clove than I was getting--but it's still very tasty and surprisingly light.

3.63/5  rDev -7.4%

01/09/2010
1 pt. 09 FL. OZ. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

First crack at a rauchbier...

A: Filled the glass with a dark, slightly hazy amber. Good head retention through quite a few sips.

S: No lie about this being a smokebeer. My nose wasn't even close to the glass when I felt that I had stuck my head into a smokehouse filled with cured meats. Spicy with what I thought were hints of hickory.

T: Its smokey bark is worse than it's bite. Strong smell gave way to smoother taste, although I still felt like I was pouring dry-brushed pork ribs into my glass.

M: The smokiness not only stayed on my tongue but I thought it also entered my nostrils when I sipped the beer. Slight burn on my tongue as well.

D: Overwhelmed at first by how smokey this beer is. Definitely not trying this again until the summer, but I can't wait to bring it to the first BBQ of the season.

Verdict: Drinking this without food is doing yourself a disservice.

2.55/5  rDev -34.9%

pours a very dark amber color with some sediment floating around in the brew, has a big head on it. as soon as i pop the top i notice strong the smell is, its unbelievably strong, it smells like 10 year old jerky, it truly is nuts that they can make a beer like this, without adding slim jim wrappers during fermentation. the taste though is not impressive at all, the smell overpowers everything, but the taste is not very impressive. i'm not too impressed with this beer overall.

2.92/5  rDev -25.5%

A-pours a murky brown that strangley appears kind of light paleness to it with an enourmous white head
S-huge smokiness with a tobaccco flavor with a slight malt sent in the background
T-a strong smokeyness with a grilled meat flavor and tabacco tanginess a little bit of malt hangs around in the background but is well hidden after an initial bbq blast, definitely an aquired tase not much of a fan
M-rather heavy body with very little carbonation and definately a careful sipper
D-overall very non drinkable besides the acquired taste the heavy body it was presents a huge problem in drinking more than one the wheat is apparent but does very little in this beer

3.68/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 16.9 oz. bottle and poured this one into a tall mug I picked up in Austria. The head is HUGE... it took a few pours and a little patience to get even 12 oz. into the mug. The beer itself is a dark brown, hazy, looks like there's some sediment in there.

The smell is definitely smoky... pork if there is any one flavor in there, but there are also some cooler malt flavors in the aroma.

The taste is a lot of the same... thinner than expected based on the smell, but tastes of smoky malty pork, like a thick slab of bacon turned into a quality beer. I'm glad it's a little less smoky than the smell, but there's not enough other flavor coming through in its place.

All in all, a solid beer, leaves a little to be desired but still one I'd drink again and recommend to friends. I think this bottle might be a little past its prime... I'll have to remember to try this one again sometime.

3.88/5  rDev -1%

A: Dark brown with a brownish head.

S: Reminded me of smoked links with a hint of bacon and a touch of malt.

T: It is as if you are eating the beer version of a meaty meal. The smoky flavor nicely accents the quality of a beer.

M: I was expecting a heavy feel based on the look and smell. The feel is crisp, but with the right amount of "flavor" you'd expect based on the look and smell.

D: Not a beer for when thirsty, but as a compliment to a cheese tasting or eating a hearty meal it would be the perfect match.

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a dark golden color - almost amber with a tight bubbled white foam that sticks around nicely. Not much lacing left behind. I expected a lighter color for a weizen.

That's pretty interesting, the beer has banana and clove notes along with some bacon-dripping smokiness in tow. Sounds disgusting, but I find it strangely enticing. I do like the nose on the other Schlenkerla brews better though, they have more smoke.

This one certainly has the least amount of smoke flavor of the main 3 Schlenkerla beers typically found in the states. Still more than most rauch-ies found 'round here. Banana and clove flavors still manage to make their presence on the palate, especially as the smoke flavors fade more as the glass gets emptier. Not sure why that is, but it happens with every rauchbier. Aecht Schlenkerla Weizen is another winner in the Heller Brauerei lineup. Amazingly drinkable and flavorful beer. A bit expensive at 5 bucks per 500 mL, but a nice tasty treat whenever a rauchbier craving hits.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

A - Dark brown with a beige, foamy head. Nice lacing.

S - Immediately smells smokey (mesquite ribs, hickory smoked bacon, smoked cheddar cheese)

T - Tastes much like it smells. Would pair well with meats and cheeses. This beer is definitely not for everyone (I was given this beer to finish when the woman I was out drinking with couldn't handle it, FYI).

M - Thick in the mouth. Substantive. Drinks like a meal.

D - Not something I'd reach for if I was thirsty. Hungry, yes, but not thirsty. Drinkable if you like all things smoked.

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

A- clear toasty brown, golden highlights with a dense stiff amazingly nice capper of beige foam. the stuff is bad ass. and it's taking so long to settle that i'm growing impatient as my area fills with the gentle aroma of smokes meats. poured gently, there's no haze from the yeast. lace is very thick and 3-dimensional, becoming patchy and crusty as it slides down.

S- bacon and smoked ham, first off. campfire, bonfire, whatever. the main thing is-- barbecue pit. a big fat smoker with a half a pig inside. and maybe a turkey as well. subtle yeast and wheat aromas hide behind the smoke. some fruity tartness, clove, and grilled banana. a truly mouthwatering aroma.

T- meaty, grilled, all goes without saying. i was unsure how this would compare to their unsmoked (though still smokey) helles, and i gotta give it to this weizen. the aroma is dominated by smoke but the taste is a great balance between a light flavored weizen, mildly sour fruits, and beechwood smoke. apart from some very faint clove type spice, much of the yeast flavors are blanketed by smoke while the tart snappiness of wheat pulls through. it's the perfect counterpart to the savory barbecue element and harmoniously they ride. a light touch of hops is merely a bitter accent in the long smoked out finish.

MF- some acidic feel, and lighter than i expected, but still with the plush body of wheat. carbonation is lively and active and the bubbles seems to move in intelligent unison like a school of herring. finish has a dry, smoke bath feeling.

D- with such intriguing flavor and good looks, not to mention an enticing aroma, this is a unique specimen that any 'real' beer lover should try. it's a man's beer, and unless a (american) girl has a bacon fetish, she might be turned off by this one. all things considered, it's as crisp and refreshing as any light bodied weizen. i wish the bottle was bigger, much bigger, but after one i'd move on to something non smokey.

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a light brown, clove color. Thick 1-inch white foamy head that dissipates to ¼ inch after a few minutes. Not much lacing.

Smells of smoked bacon, but not overwhelming. Some malt.

A smoky taste, but not as overpowering as I remember from when I visited the brewery. A hint of creaminess one would expect from a weizen, even a hint of banana hidden behind the smoke. Finish is smoke, a little dry, and slight smoky aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is crisp, and full. Some carbonation hits the back of my throat.

I remember not really enjoying this beer when I had it in Bamberg 2-years ago. But frankly, I enjoyed it today. The "best before" date is Dec09, so, the bottle is approx 1-year old. Perhaps the smoke fads with time? Anyhow, I would drink another.

Serving type: 500 ml bottle

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

I am going to retry this beer and give it another shot, but I would like to say that I had the hardest time finishing this beer.

Beer served in a hefeweizen glass from a bottle. Beer is dark / black brown. Head is large and steady. Can't tell the carbonation. It looks good, lets keep going.

Smell is overwhelming. Hickory and smoke. VERY STRONG SMELL. I don't have to lift the glass to my face to smell it. Knocks me over. What is this going to taste like? Burnt wood?

I coughed. Seriously, I felt like I was suffocating. Beer is medium bodied. No sweetness I can detect up front, just the smoke in the back.

I feel like I'm exhaling smoke after I swallow. Maybe this is the point. The most dominant flavor is smoke, the second most is smoke, followed closely by the strong aftertaste of smoke. I had to drink another beer to get the smoke flavor out of my mouth.

I'll try the other and maybe this one again since I'm clearly in the minority on this one. SMOKE!

Originally consumed 10/23 lost original review

A: This beer pours a crystal clear amber color with about a one finger of white head that recedes relatively quickly. Ringlets of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Nose is - campfire in a bottle folks! Malts are present and as the beer warms, slight fruity notes can also be detected.

T: Taste is a big dose of smoked goodness to start off with, the middle has a touch of wheat, a touch of fruit all complimented by a continued smoked flavoring.

M: Medium body, moderate carbonation, somewhat chewy in the middle of this beer and finishes clean and crisp.

D: I love me some smoked beers so this is one that I could sit with for an entire evening.

1.67/5  rDev -57.4%

25 oz. bottle into Duvel tulip.

$7.99 / ea.

S: Smoke, and nothing else. Imagine a camp fire.

A: Cloudy brown body, thick rocky tight white head that leaves wonderful lacing.

T: Smoke, and somewhat sour. A little bit like jerky. Not my thing.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. The bite from the carbonation stays on the tongue well after you are done drinking.

D: I had to throw away most of the bottle. I don't like smoke beer.

O: No. . .

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Got from Johnnnniee in a trade - many thanks! Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a dark amber color with a lot of carbonation streams throughout. Quick sliding and non sticking lace. It had a large beige head that settled into a foam and collar.

The aroma was smoke and smoked ham/bacon. Smelled like breakfast time while camping out - awesome. I really didn't get much of the wheat aromas though just a faint hint of clove. The taste followed the aroma exactly. Smoke and smoked pork flavors with a touch of clove in it. Wouldn't have minded some of the other wheat flavors to kick in. Mouthfeel was between watery and medium which is in-line with the style.

Overall, a really delicious rauchbier that I highly recommend if you like the style. I've had this one once now and the marzen several times and I like the marzen a little better as it has some more base flavor to blend with the one dimensional aspect of the smoke flavor. Towards the end this gets to be a lot of smoke so one is plenty for a sitting. Rotation: not avail here. Would like to try again and at least once on tap. After that, I'd probably stick with the marzen version per notes above.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

The colour is a cloudy brwon which can look very enticing depending on my mood

The smell is smoke but also banana and clove which is where the fact that this is a Hefeweizen comes through

The taste is complex with strong smokey notes but also hints of fruit and clove

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy at times unfortunately a bit metallic though

Drinkability is very moorish a first but increasingly challenging as you get near the bottom

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Very dark for a weissbier. Rich deep red with an off-white reddish head. OK retention, not much lacing, but fine for the style.

S: As one would expect having tasted their other beers, this one smells like a campfire, but a particularly wheaty one. Very sweet smelling.

T: Very smoky, fruit is a little cloying. Dark fruit is dominant - reminds me of many German dark beer flavors. The wheat gives it a nice backing, and the smoke flavor isn't as overpowering as in the other beers from Schlenkerla. Yet, I don't like it as much as many weissbiers I've had.

M: Light mouthfeel, dry, almost a little watery. Non-astringent, good carbonation.

D: Drinks well, but I'd prefer it with a nice brat, or maybe a pig knuckle.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm addicted to the Marzen from Aecht Schlenkerla.. so we'll give this one a shot. Poured into a wide snifter from a 500ml bottle.

A- Waaaay darker than I expected. A nice, dense, creamy head that settles into a nice film on top of the beer. Very attractive... is this a weizen, as the label says.. or a rauchbier? Can't it be both?

S- Smoke from a mile away. I want to say this one is more pronounced than the Marzen... although without one to compare I can't be sure. Either way, it is intense. Very intense. Smells like hickory smoked bacon, I kid you not. Since I love the smoke smell, I can't imagine a better aroma. 5 of 5.

T- Follows the nose, but is not as strong. Still, the smoke is undeniable. Fantastic. Wow. A crisp beer, esp. considering what I thought it would be. A weizen, for sure... just looks a lot darker that I would expect. A smoky taste lingers with this one... and since I have a hard-on for rauchbiers, I love it! The weizen is noticeable from the body to the flavors and aftertaste... but is followed with a great smokiness. Not abrasive or offensive in the least.. this beer is a joy to drink.

M- Lighter than the marzen, I really am digging this beer. It's a coin flip between which one I like better, as both contain the awesome smoky taste. The marzen is a bit heavier, while this one is crisp and almost effervescent. I love it.

D- Moderate to high. Goes down like water for me.... depending on your affinity for rauchbiers you may feel one is enough. I'd drink this by the keg if I could. Bravo!

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle into nonic pint glass. Was a fantastic complement to some slab bacon I had for brunch.

Pours much darker than expected for a weizen, but then, I suppose that's the smoked malt coming out. Dark amber in the glass, cloudy, with a nice, dense 2-finger head.

Nose is really interesting - big sausagey smoke, though not as bold as in some of Schlenkerla's other offerings (re: urbock, fastenbier) along with a crisp wheat body and some nice clove and a bit of lemony citrus underneath. Definitely more rauchbier than weizen.

Taste follows suit - a slightly drier smoke, mixing peat and sausage notes, is the key property, though you absolutely get light notes of clove, banana, citrus, and tangy wheat mixed in there as well. Very interesting and nicely balanced between the two aspects, though the smoke is, again, the main characteristic.

Mouthfeel is nice - dry, medium bodied with a nice, lightly prickly carbonation. You can almost feel the smokiness in your mouth.

Drinkability is quite good - a full 16 oz serving didn't wear on me at all, and I could have gone for another full pour quite easily.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a dark auburn color with a one finger white head with decent retention. Smells of smoke, wood, wheat, and lemon. Taste is the same. Almost has the flavor of smoke brisket. Very good. Well carbonated and light bodied. This beer is easy to drink. You either love smoked beers or you hate them. I love them.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla