Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

2.5/5  rDev -36.1%

2.55/5  rDev -34.8%

pours a very dark amber color with some sediment floating around in the brew, has a big head on it. as soon as i pop the top i notice strong the smell is, its unbelievably strong, it smells like 10 year old jerky, it truly is nuts that they can make a beer like this, without adding slim jim wrappers during fermentation. the taste though is not impressive at all, the smell overpowers everything, but the taste is not very impressive. i'm not too impressed with this beer overall.

2.56/5  rDev -34.5%

A - Opaque brown body, with a finger of creamy off-white head.
S - Bacon, smoked ham, smoke, ham,
T - I understand why this beer should be smokey, but I dont understand why this beer should taste like ham. Thats the beginning and end of the flavor for me. There is just too much smoke, no balance as in Stone Smoked Porter or Fujizakura's Rauch. The dunkel weizen character is entirely missing here.
M - Thin light body.
D - If I wanted some smoked ham, I would fry up a plate. Pass on this over the top, unbalanced beer.

2.58/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a brown color with a creamy head and little lacing. Smell was smoky with a hint of banana and clove. Taste was the same as the smell except the flavors were hidden much more. Mouthfeel was a little thin with a decent amount of carbonation. Drinkability, I didn't really find this to be that drinkable, perhaps it was a bad bottle, I would like to try again and compare.

2.58/5  rDev -34%

I wanted to try this beer to see if I could appreciate smoked beer and this one was a wizen to boot. Had this at the El Bait Shop in Des Moines. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a brown color with a medium head. Smells of smoked cheese and meat. Taste was mostly smokey too with the wheat trying to come through but failing. This beer was hard for me to drink. One bottle is more than enough for a night. Just not my style of beer.

2.73/5  rDev -30.2%

Muddy colour, typical of a dunkel weizen, with foam not very compact and persistent, for a weizen beer. The smell is smoke, smoke and smoke. The smoked flavour of a "scamorza" (italian smoked cheese). Smoke of green wood. The typical flavour of a weizen is still present, even if a little difficult to feel in the abundancy of the smoke. At the taste the smoke is less predominant, and the weizen feeling is more perceptible, with a little of citric (lime). Aftertaste of smoke (ma va?)Unbalanced.

2.74/5  rDev -29.9%

Had a short-necked bottle which was poured into a pint glass. The color was a deep, cloudy dark brown with a nice creamy head. For a smoked beer, I thought the smell was very light on the smoked flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed the marzen version from Aecht Schlenkerla but thought this weizen version was too light on the smoke flavor in both smell and taste. Tasted slightly chewy. I would probably stick to the marzen version which I thought was exceptional.

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%

This one forms a nice firm head, no lacing surprisingly and has a very lively body. It certainly looks a lot like a dark hef.

Sweet almost artificially sweetened smoke. The wheat elements are certainly showing.

I expected something so different….my first taste of this was some head that was over powering and it had some good sweet creamy hef like qualities with smoke tones. The first sip of the actual beer is rather odd. Smoke is suble but very present. The malt has a sour like flavor that I’ve gotten in some less enjoyable dark hefs but no cloves or bananas or strong sweet elements. Instead there is some kind of smoked meat (ham?) mixed with a sour malt.

The body on this one is awful. It is just so thin so weak and the carbonation isn’t that creamy hef carbonation or even a good pale ale, but instead it is sharp and bites the tongue. It has the kind of carbonation that makes you burp and I frankly can’t think of a worse quality in a beer.

It seems this style is much like bourbon barrel ales. It isn’t a style as much as a finishing element, but because of tradition it has a style. I like the smoke flavors, but some element of this process isn’t working with the hef. I really think there is potential for these two to mesh, but either a touch less smoke or a touch more malt is needed to get things going in the right direction.

2.8/5  rDev -28.4%

The aroma is something you either hate or love and I love it. It is very unique. The appearance is a reddish brown and the head is large. The flavor is well balanced. It has a sweet maltiness to go along with the bitter and smoke flavor. There is also a tang in there. The palate is thin. Overall it's smokey and it's not my style but it's interesting none the less.

2.89/5  rDev -26.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Been working my way through the Schlenkerla offerings, thus far really enjoying the Marzen and not being so fond of the Eiche. Didn't know what to expect with Weizen (other than a recent newfound appreciation for weizens), but this one jumped the tracks pretty quickly. Totally could be an old bottle issue, and I'd happily revisit it again to make sure, but for now I have to score it low. Best way to describe it would be BBQ-flavored potato chips. Literally smelled salty, the weisse bier notes just couldn't be found, too muddled in with the salty, BBQ smoked malt. I choked down as much as I could before waving the white flag. Again, hope to find it on tap someday to verify these findings.

2.92/5  rDev -25.3%

A-pours a murky brown that strangley appears kind of light paleness to it with an enourmous white head
S-huge smokiness with a tobaccco flavor with a slight malt sent in the background
T-a strong smokeyness with a grilled meat flavor and tabacco tanginess a little bit of malt hangs around in the background but is well hidden after an initial bbq blast, definitely an aquired tase not much of a fan
M-rather heavy body with very little carbonation and definately a careful sipper
D-overall very non drinkable besides the acquired taste the heavy body it was presents a huge problem in drinking more than one the wheat is apparent but does very little in this beer

2.95/5  rDev -24.6%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: a clear beer, dirt-brown in colour with limited carbonation. A frothy head pops up and disappears entirely within the first ten seconds.

Aroma: very interesting - some sweet-smelling smoke. Certainly not something I am used to. Hopefully this one agrees with me more than the Rauchbier Urboch.

Taste: far better than the Urboch, but only so far as it doesn't turn my face inside out. I'm struggling to get anything other than the smoke in this - no wheat flavours at all. If anything, a touch of cured meats also.

Aftertaste: the strong meat and smoke flavours become a bit more demure in the aftertaste. Settles to a camping wood-fire flavour. A really bizarre flavour.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate carbonation to carry the flavour across. The feel seems to be pretty good.

Overall: I'm still getting used to rauchbiers, and this one seems an awful lot more drinkable than the Urboch. I think I'll have to have quite a few more of these before I allow myself to pass any kind of judgement on them.

2.98/5  rDev -23.8%

First Rauchbier...

A - Poured out a brownish orange color with a bubbly, off-white, two-finger head. Left some lace.

S - Smelled like a campfire or BBQ grill. Very smoky and some leathery aromas, too.

T - It reminded me of a baked ham or hickory smoked bacon. Very smoky tasting with some sweet underlying malts. Almost tasted like how a campfire smells.

M - It was crisp and sharp. A medium to heavy-bodied beer.

D - I rate the drinkablility low because it tasted too much like food and not like a beer. Seriously, six hours later I burped and tasted smoked bacon. Not pleasant.

2.99/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer so, the 2.5.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky. I gave it a 3.5 because it is unusual and as I drink it a kinda took a liking to it so, I could not give it a 2.5.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try one more. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more.
I have to say, the taste is unique.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla