Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

3.01/5  rDev -23%

3.01/5  rDev -23%

I'm suprised that some others tasted anything other than the smoke. More overwhelming than I would have thought. I actually bought this thinking it was a regular hefe (although I knew they made the Rauchbier). After a hefe like pour (albeit a dark one) nothing but smoke, smoke, smoke. I liked smoked food, and I would like to try this with a smoked sausage or something. Beyond that, I could think of no other reason to have this again.

3.05/5  rDev -22%

I am going to retry this beer and give it another shot, but I would like to say that I had the hardest time finishing this beer.

Beer served in a hefeweizen glass from a bottle. Beer is dark / black brown. Head is large and steady. Can't tell the carbonation. It looks good, lets keep going.

Smell is overwhelming. Hickory and smoke. VERY STRONG SMELL. I don't have to lift the glass to my face to smell it. Knocks me over. What is this going to taste like? Burnt wood?

I coughed. Seriously, I felt like I was suffocating. Beer is medium bodied. No sweetness I can detect up front, just the smoke in the back.

I feel like I'm exhaling smoke after I swallow. Maybe this is the point. The most dominant flavor is smoke, the second most is smoke, followed closely by the strong aftertaste of smoke. I had to drink another beer to get the smoke flavor out of my mouth.

I'll try the other and maybe this one again since I'm clearly in the minority on this one. SMOKE!

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a 1/2 liter bottle into a pint glass.

A: It pours a gorgeous reddish-coppery brown, with two fingers of fluffy, creamy, lacy white foam. Terrific head retention and excellent lacing.

S: Bacon. It smells like bacon. Also, faint woodsmoke undertones.

T: It tastes like it smells, predominantly like bacon, with some softer wood smoke tastes mid-palate. There is a perceptible sweet mid-palate malt characteristic that helps to make it taste more like beer, and less like breakfast. They definitely nailed the smoky/savory aspect of this beer, and it seems like a really solid style example.

M: I was a little disappointed with the mouthfeel. it felt too thin and carbonated. I was hoping for something a little smoother, slicker, heavier and/or creamier. The thin mouthfeel seemed mismatched with a flavor profile that is almost entirely smoke and meat.

D: This is definitely not sessionable. Granted, this is not a session style, but even with that in mind, this one would be a chore to have more than one.

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

1 pint 9 oz bottle

A: A murky brownish color, not very pleasing but has a wonderful three finger head and beautiful lacing down the glass. The liquid is very bubbly and only negatives are its old fashioned cloudyness.

S: Smoked sausage. Wow. Very very smoky. Not very complex of an aroma due to the overwhelming smokiness. Tough to really find anything else...

T: I was expecting smoke, but the flavor was tactfully hidden until the aftertaste. Tastes very dry and clove like. Does a good job resembling a hefe. Near the end of the sip the smokyness comes through and lasts on the palate. Not a bad taste, I like how the smoke lingers but does not overpower.

M: OK here we have a problem. Way to carbonated, almost fierce. The body is not heavy but the liquid feels dry and thick. Syrupy mouthfeel accompanies the heavy carbonation poorly.

D: Meh, I dont know. I wont buy this beer alone again. I think it would be pretty good at a barbque etc. But not a daily drinker for sure. I do find myself enjoying the uniquity of this beer, but that does not mean I necissarily like it...

3.16/5  rDev -19.2%

Appearance- Dark amber/dark brown with a white foam head with a decent carbonation being present as bubbles run up that glass

Smell- heavy heavy smoked odor that blows your nose away you can pick up slightly wheat hops and smells as well

Taste- light yet strong with smoked hops with super long lingering smokey mouthfeel

Mouthfeel- thin and light bodied and smooth in texture, carbonation can certainly be felt on the tongue

Drinkabilty- not tough to drink but would probably take getting use to considering just how strong the smoke essance is in this brew, would take a bit to get use to this style for me, be interesting to see paired with good food

3.19/5  rDev -18.4%

500 ml bottle, BB date reads June 2011, into tulip. Pours muddy chestnut brown body with mahogany highlits topped by thick, moussy, extremely stable beige crown that clings to the walls and although slowly shrinks never dies.The aroma is bacon-like smokiness masking the qualities of the underlying beer although bananaish notes emerge together with bready, doughy wheat-malt. The flavor is dominated by bacon-like smokiness with greasy notes and burnt wood touch rolled in wheat perceived as bread, followed by low hoppy bitterness towards the finish which is quite dry due to the moderate carbonation and smoke. The wheaty texture imparts creamy fullness to the body. Unfortunately the bananaish sweetness combined with bacon is quite odd and reduces the the drinkability. Although the color is dark the flavor/aroma profile reminds me more of a classic Weizen than Dunkelweizen. There was no caramel or toasty-melanoidin qualities typical of Wienna and/or Munich malt used in Dunkelweizens. Besides, the color of the Rauchbier is usually darker than the color of the non-smoked base style, explaining the dim appearance.

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

A really pretty beer - mahogany in color with a full, thick head that lasts for quite a while. The smell - wow. Sure is smokey. Smells like hickory-smoked bacon cooking. Smells really unique; I just can't pick out any other smells in here. The taste is dry, smokey and lingering. A little bit of sweetness here, but really lopsided. This is my first rauchbier, and I'm having trouble getting into it. Mouthfeel is nice. A little too carbonated, maybe. Drinkability just isn' there for me. Oh well. I'm not going to trash the score, though, because I can only assume that the parts that I don't like are just part of the style.

3.23/5  rDev -17.4%

Dark brown in color with a tan head.
Aroma of campfire ashes and roasted malt.

Taste is too much like an ashtray for my liking. Smoke flavor dominated from start to finish. Good malt and wheat backbone that's well-balanced by the hops.

Good mouthfeel. Somewhat oily.
Too much ash presence for this beer to be drinkable for me.

This is a quality beer, but just not to my liking. I really enjoy how the smoke flavor accents Alaskan Smoked Porter and Stone Smoked Porter, but I got a whole different vibe from this beer. I'm obviously not as into the smoke flavor as some BA's.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Orangish, brown, cloudy; big head

Aroma: smoky, peppery, cloves

Taste: Slightly smoky, a little watery; you can tell it's a wheat, but the smoke masks the character

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores