Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier WeizenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

Schlenkerla Smokebeer Wheat is an ale with light smoky aroma. As Bavarian wheat beers, it is being brewed with a mixture of both barley malt and wheat malt. The portion of barley malt is hereby a classic Schlenkerla smokemalt, while the wheat malt remains unsmoked. Served unfiltered with its natural haziness, Schlenkerla Wheat reaches its full aroma through bottle fermentation with fine top fermenting yeast.

Added by taez555 on 07-23-2001

Reviews: 421 | Ratings: 740
4.49/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Poured with 1inch of bubbly tan head that dissipated quickly (2 minutes) to a thin covering around the edge of the glass, and is not leaving much of any lacing. The beer is a very translucent brownish gold color.

Smell: Up front very smokey, then some sweetness, malt and fruit, is detectable once your get a little use to the smokeyness. As it warms a lot more fruity aromas are detectible, similar to white grapes or apples. The smoke smell is present but not overwhelming (once you get a little use to it). While I sit here and smell it from a small distance, I feel like I am on the beach at Lake Superior with a campfire going on a 65 degree night. Smokey, but also crisp.

Taste: Bold smoke flavor up front (as expected), then a small fruity apple or grape taste, followed by a bigger sweet malt flavor. At the end there is a bitter smoke flavor left in the mouth, but again the smoke is not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel: Heavier syrupier bodied than I expected up front, but the bubbles and slight bitterness make it seem a bit lighter.

Overall: For me this is very easy to drink. The strong smoke up front starts to diminish and other very interesting flavors/aromas appear, which compliment the smoke very nicely. I might have to go buy another one of these... :-)

4.63/5  rDev +18.4%

A: A nice deepcopper brown, just slightly cloudy (smoky?) with an exceptionally large head. The bubbles pour into the beer and make for a really milky, delicious looking pour. Be careful because the bubbles don't stop rising... easy to over pour this beer as I nearly experienced. The head is big bubbled and foamy. The head stops shrinking when it reaches about one finger. That last bit lingers much longer. Interesting character to behold.

S: Musty oak, burnt lumber, old wood, a crackling campfire. Really amazing depth here.

T: A lot of burnt character comes through, like burnt oak or a slight bit of burnt pine, smoked malts, lots of different woods come to mind. Really interesting.

M: Really excellent fine carbonation, which makes it feel a little milky and full bodied.

O: This is an exceptional bier. I've never had anything quite like it, but now that I know what I'm in for, I look forward to trying more in this line.

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a clear, copper color with a large, bubbly head. The head and its silky lacings retain quite well.

There is a big smoke factor in the aroma, reminiscent of a campfire that has just been doused with water. There are some salty tones that remind me of a cured pork shoulder. Digging deeper, there are some subtle, sweet malt properties.

The sweet malt and wheat taste is quickly absorbed in a huge smoke flavor. The contrasting combination creates an acidic caramel flavor that quickly assimilates into burned wood and charcoal. The aftertaste leaves a slightly sour, acidic smokiness on the tongue

This is very drinkable with medium / light body and ample carbonation. Very easy on the palate.

Wow! This is the first real Rauchbier that I've been able to try and I have to say that I'm hooked. I'm anxious to pair this with some tasty BBQ. What a beer!

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Good head, color is a dark brown with hints of yellow when held up to the light. It was rather odd, this is the first time I have seen a beer with such a coloration.

S: Smells like you would expect a Schlenkerla beer to smell. Bacon, ham, maybe some wood... weird but... angenehm

T: I mostly taste the smoky meat flavor. This beer is perhaps a bit sweeter than the Märzen. I can also notice some more malts or bread flavors in this one.

M: It is medium, not as thick as expected. I would also expect more carbonation from a Weizen. It was all a little "meh".

D: Drinkable is not what I would call this beer. It was a nice treat though...

3.36/5  rDev -14.1%

Well, if you like ham in a bottle, this beer is for you. This is my first experience with a smoked beer that actually tastes like smoke. I've tried a couple others, but none have tasted like this.

The nose is very smoky, very much reminiscent of smoked ham. Just a touch of wheatiness in the nose. The taste is also quite smoky, with a good bit of wheaty sourness lurking in the background; finishes with a light sweetness. The smoke is offset nicely by the wheat, but I think, following a previous reviewer's suggestion, that a bit more heft to this beer, some more munich malt maybe, would really be good. A little too light for all this smoke. Overall, its an interesting beer, but I wouldn't have more than one.

I also have to say that this brewer's website is first rate. Great info on all aspects of beer production, especially the production of smoked malt. Also great pics of their products.

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

This beer produces a nice rocky head and ample lace. The color is dark amber to light brown. The aroma will knock your soxs! This beer smells like a campfire. The smokey smell overpowers the other aromas. The flavor is malt-like and peppery. The aftertaste is like a freshly-somked ham. This beer is true to style and is one of my favorites.

4.27/5  rDev +9.2%

This one pours a tootsie roll brown that is capped off by a large, rocky cream-colored head. The smell hits you immediately and it is smoky, meaty with a hint of grains. It is the kind of smoky that you smell on your clothes the morning after sitting around a campfire all night. The taste is much the same but the sweetness of the malt comes through a little in the end. It is not too thick which you assume after smelling it but is rather light which is what you expect from a Weizen. This one is very refreshing but still odd and different being a rauchbier. I am very impressed with this one and will be seeking out more.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Nice smokey smell and aroma. Pours a nice mediium brown with a small head that dissipates quickly. Not as smokey a taste as I was expecting and definitely not overpowering. Good flavor and easily drinkable This is a very good beer that you can take your time with and savor.

4.24/5  rDev +8.4%

I'm a long time fan of weizens and rauchbiers but haven't yet tried this...

light brown, darker than a typical weizen. Weizen sized head. Smell whacks with smoked cheese and meats with just a tad of weizen character poking through. I find it impossible not to give any smoked beer a 5(at least Schlenkerla's). Starts of slightly toasty and lightly smokey, then bleeds into soft, sweet weizen character. The marriage is seamless, and through the finish it's really one fully coalesced flavor with some light supporting bitterness. Some very slight banana can be picked out, but the integration is impressive. Carbonation is medium with a medium low, weizen style body. Very drinkable, but this is one I like to take my time with. This is done very well, but I think I prefer either an all out rauchbier or allout weizen, but this is a very nice change of pace. Though, I must say this really makes me wonder about the possibilities of a rauchbier weizenbock...

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From a 1/2 liter bottle into a pint glass.

A: It pours a gorgeous reddish-coppery brown, with two fingers of fluffy, creamy, lacy white foam. Terrific head retention and excellent lacing.

S: Bacon. It smells like bacon. Also, faint woodsmoke undertones.

T: It tastes like it smells, predominantly like bacon, with some softer wood smoke tastes mid-palate. There is a perceptible sweet mid-palate malt characteristic that helps to make it taste more like beer, and less like breakfast. They definitely nailed the smoky/savory aspect of this beer, and it seems like a really solid style example.

M: I was a little disappointed with the mouthfeel. it felt too thin and carbonated. I was hoping for something a little smoother, slicker, heavier and/or creamier. The thin mouthfeel seemed mismatched with a flavor profile that is almost entirely smoke and meat.

D: This is definitely not sessionable. Granted, this is not a session style, but even with that in mind, this one would be a chore to have more than one.

2.99/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Dark brown body while it was sitting on the bar - when held to the light you get a nice mahogany color. The head is an off-white color that does not hang around too long. Didn't see much lacing if any.

Smell: Real hickory smoked ham hocks. And then more smoke. I could not go with average. It's not average - it's smoked beer. So, the smell did not make me think weizen beer so, the 2.5.

Taste: SMOKE! I'll have to drink this while I cook up some ribs. Smoked spice, smoky head on the nose while drinking, smoked malts, there has to be hops for that bitter sour note so, smoked hops, and smoke on the water. It is smoky. I gave it a 3.5 because it is unusual and as I drink it a kinda took a liking to it so, I could not give it a 2.5.

Mouthfeel: I liked the fine carbonation and the slight creamy texture but, they are soon taken away by the smoky profile and roasty undertones. Then the watery style hits the back of the palate to help clean up a little bit except you are left with SMOKE damage on the after taste.

Personally I do not think it is that drinkable. One and done. You should try it. I have had it before when I was out for dinner. And, I bought it again - only one bottle but, I still bought it. I'll wait till summer and when I put those ribs on the grill - I'll make sure I try one more. Maybe with BBQ food I'll like it a little more.
I have to say, the taste is unique.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: nut brown, creamy white head that forms a skim coat

Smell: smoky (obviously), very much like smoked pork: greasy and slightly metallic; some noble hops are evident but not prominant; tinny and some very faint fruity esters

Taste: predominantly smoky, with the same sort of tinny metallic character as in the nose; no bitterness, omly smoke

Mouthfeel: medium body, perhaps a little on the lighter side; little apparent carbonation; kind of flat and a little watery

This si the marzen's little brother. Not as agressive with the smoke, more subtle in every regard.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into Delerium Trimens glass.

Appearance- light, faun colored head over deep, rich brown-with-amber body. Head fell fairly quickly to a single coating on the top of the beer.

Smell- very thick smell of woodsmoke, obviously. Brings to mind barbecue, beef jerky, and camping in the woods. Some sweet, fruity notes hide at the edges of the aroma.

Taste- smokey and sweet. The smoke flavor and the burnt flavor are very present, but not as overwhelming as I was worried they would be. The other main flavor is a strong, sweet, rich malt, which has caramel and cherry flavors. Swallow is smokey, like a jerky, into round of very sweet malt, with a mellow but clear smoked aftertaste. A hint of sourness is present throughout, but only at a trace level.

Mouthfeel- very light, the beer itself isn't especially thick, and bottle conditioning provides a higher than average carbonation. The net effect is that this beer feels very light on the palate, so that rather than stomping around like a heavy, smoked BBQ sauce, it rather floats and wafts, like a wood fire outside in the fall.

Drinkability- this beer is very intensely and unusually flavored, but it is light, and leaves the palate surprisingly clean. All things considered, it is surprisingly drinkable.

Notes- I did not come to this beer with high hopes of loving it, but only with a desire to try something unusual and different. What I found was a beer that, while it is fairly unique, is no novelty act; it is strong and different, but also balanced, flavorful and rich.

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours out a thick cloudy light brown, like opaque prune juice. A couple fingers of tan head sit thick and sticky on top, some nice lacing. Looks like a meal.

Beautiful sweet salty smoke right down the middle, very much smoked meat, smoked salami, smoked salmon. Mouthwatering.

Starts with a subdued sweetness and mild banana before quickly taking second place to the balanced smoked meat flavours. Whats great is that the zesty hefe character gives a nice counterpoint. Smoke is great, this isnt overbearing ashtray or charred wood, this is delicately cured and smoked meats of the finest quality. Finishes with a little yeasty zing.

good full body and bright carbonation, this is one you can roll around in your mouth.

Absolutely love the Aecht Schlenkerla smoke character that is so dynamic and complex. Lighter and more delicate than their flagship brew, this gives a nice play of sweet smoke savoury and yeasty.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a bottle into a weizen glass.

A: Pours coppery, orange-brown, hazy, with a phenomenal amount of tightly beaded tan head. Good retention and rocky on the surface.

S: maple, bacon-like smoke aroma dominates. Could not detect a weizen-like clove aroma.

T: The bacony, smoky flavor is most prominent in the beginning, with a phenolic clove flavor in the end. Early in consumption the cloviness is mild, but as my palate became accustomed to the smoky flavor, I began to notice it more prominently and more immediately. The smoke balances reasonably well with the weizen-like clove flavor.

M: light like a weizen, although the smoke flavor infers a little heaviness, probably just playing tricks on my mind. The lightness makes it somewhat refreshing for a smoke beer.

D: I was unsure about how the weizen and smoke flavors would combine, but they balanced better than I thought. This would pair well with a smoked sausage or wurst. Quite enjoyable although I still favor the maerzen.

4.74/5  rDev +21.2%

16.9 oz bottle in 16 oz Weizen Glass

A - Pours rich sweet potato colors. Stays cloudy after settling. Solid inch and a half lite weight head. Minimal lacing.

S - Pungent smoke at obnoxiously delicious levels. Bacon, Wood, Dry Aged Meats. Some sweet accents of malt and carmel.

T - Camp fire as you take it in opens up with dark fruits and hint of sour apple. As it sits on your tongue you really taste the grassiness of the wheat that lightens it. Washes dry with a subtle nuttiness you swore you tasted on the tip of your tongue.

M - Very lite and crisp. Carbonation resonates under your tongue with an slight effervescence.

O - Of the three (Marzen, Urbock, & Weizen) Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbiers this is the most balanced and approachable to a rauchbier novice in my opinion. I could session drink this one, where the other two are tasting beers.

4.89/5  rDev +25.1%

"Listen! You smell something?"

With the advent of beeradvocate.com, it's been exceedingly difficult to buy beers on blind faith. This often takes the surprise out of tasting great beers. Fortunately, I had never read a review of this beer prior to tasting it.

I was completely overwhelmed by Schlenkerla's taste. Take the best smoked meat you've ever tasted and ferment it... that's what this is like. Never in a million years would I have thought you could successfully brew such a wonderful smoke beer.

If made a top 5 beer list, this would certainly be on it. It's just too unique to overlook. From the first whiff you take, you're captivated. That's all I can say.

You really ought to try this one. It must be one of the beer community's best kept secrets.

2.74/5  rDev -29.9%

Had a short-necked bottle which was poured into a pint glass. The color was a deep, cloudy dark brown with a nice creamy head. For a smoked beer, I thought the smell was very light on the smoked flavor. I thoroughly enjoyed the marzen version from Aecht Schlenkerla but thought this weizen version was too light on the smoke flavor in both smell and taste. Tasted slightly chewy. I would probably stick to the marzen version which I thought was exceptional.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

You either love smoked beers or hate them. I have come to notice, especially with Schlenkerla, that once you have the smoked taste, it is hard to pick out the actual flavor of the beer you are drinking. (Marzen, Wheat, etc.)
I did like the Marzen a bit better but the wheat is much lighter and suitable for summer. Spicy Orange and Clove notes. Would also make a great beer in the Fall.

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Thanks to Hyland 24 for sharing this one with me. Poured from bomber to pilsner glass a dark brown with a half inch of tan head that reduced to nothing. Swirling in the yeast produced an almost Lava lamp appearnce that was more dramatic than usual. I think I smell, yep that's BACON, unmistakable delicious bacon aroma. Tasted like liquid bacon with a smokey flavor and some light carbonation. Any other flavor in this beer is lost on me due to my love for Bacon. As much as I enjoyed this I could not see myself having more than one of these. However I will have this beer again to share this unique taste with a friend or with some food pairings.

3.47/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from a bomber into a pilsner with Ba buddy pleepleus.

Poured dark brown getting slightly lighter towards the bottom with a two inch tannish white foam head. The smell was pure bacon including the smoke and the salt. With a slight hint of soap. The taste was right on par with the smell which was big bacon and smoke flavors. Finished with a slight hint of malt. Overall a medium bodied beer with a slightly oily mouthfeel leaving behind a spicy feel. Not my preference when it comes to beer but interesting and a good rep for this style. Glad I tried it but wouldnt go out of my way for it again.

4.85/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

appearance: rich dark brown to amber color little head but a pretty beer

smell: smokey greatness like good bacon or meat mouth watering

taste: malty smokey flavor once it hits your lips

mouthfeel: you never want this taste to leave and it doesn't oh so good

overall: fantastic this is a playground for a man's palet

2.58/5  rDev -34%

I wanted to try this beer to see if I could appreciate smoked beer and this one was a wizen to boot. Had this at the El Bait Shop in Des Moines. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a brown color with a medium head. Smells of smoked cheese and meat. Taste was mostly smokey too with the wheat trying to come through but failing. This beer was hard for me to drink. One bottle is more than enough for a night. Just not my style of beer.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

01/09/2010
1 pt. 09 FL. OZ. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

First crack at a rauchbier...

A: Filled the glass with a dark, slightly hazy amber. Good head retention through quite a few sips.

S: No lie about this being a smokebeer. My nose wasn't even close to the glass when I felt that I had stuck my head into a smokehouse filled with cured meats. Spicy with what I thought were hints of hickory.

T: Its smokey bark is worse than it's bite. Strong smell gave way to smoother taste, although I still felt like I was pouring dry-brushed pork ribs into my glass.

M: The smokiness not only stayed on my tongue but I thought it also entered my nostrils when I sipped the beer. Slight burn on my tongue as well.

D: Overwhelmed at first by how smokey this beer is. Definitely not trying this again until the summer, but I can't wait to bring it to the first BBQ of the season.

Verdict: Drinking this without food is doing yourself a disservice.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

Hazy brown color , big beige head. Smoked bacon aroma with wheat and malty notes. Taste is similar to aroma . Medium body , soft carbonated. Smoked aftertaste.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Weizen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla