1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: German Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Ratings: 1,448 |  Reviews: 742
Reviews by Canada_Dan:
4.11/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

A vigorous pour yields an opaque glass of grog somewhere between brown and black. A thick, tan seafoam cap rises above the rim of my favorite Augustiner glass. As it settles, the depths gain clarity and appear more of a milk chocolate brown with some light shining through. The nose is straight smoked meat, like pastrami without the salt. My first sip. The smokiness is overpowering yet there's something more. The sweet malt and amazingly creamy mouthfeel linger like an old friend. The liquid smoke is still present throughout but somehow an afterthought reminding you of the antiquity that is this style. A finely crafted beer no doubt. Still not sure if it's a beacon of light in the fog or a gateway drug, but I like it.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Recently I found that the quantity of my German bruviews was lacking and as such I decided it was time to give that tasty (denoting I've had it before) Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum a go... and if that isn't a mouthful of a name wait until I review Dem Bayerischen Reinheitsgebot entsprechend gebrautes Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche Doppelbock von Heller-Trum, gefährliches zeug! [I added that last "gefährliches zeug!" purely for emphasis]

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Stein.

A: A nice deep brown, almost cola like body presents a stark antithesis to the creamy 2cm ecru head. Looks delicious and thought out and no doubt tastes the same.

S: As Darth Vader once proclaimed "The rauch is strong with this one.", in the case of this Rauchbier (or "smoke beer" to non-German tongues) this is indeed a peat-smoke infused brew, with some well-added smoked salami for effect. There is nary another ingredient to be whiffed behind the veil of hickory, much to the delight of Rauchbier drinkers everywhere.

T: Quintessentially brilliant - a rauch schinkenspeck sandwich in a bottle. The flavour is a taste of every glorious thing that has ever been smoked in a beer with notes of the above plus more; roasted caramel, touch of salt, with an earthy hop finish. Balance between malt and hops is spot on and whilst the smoke can be overpowering for some if you get used to it - power to you.

M: Medium bodied with that classic creamy Weizen carbonation.

D: You know the last time I had this beer was before I began reviewing and I was taken aback by the smoke "too much!" I thought, but now (in my finite tasting wisdom) I can't stop drinking this amazing Ale. It is only a brew I would recommend for people who have tried other odd flavoured beers like Lambics or Sahtis and nodded their head in silent approval - it is not a beer for the craft-novice let me make that clear. For a non-smoker like myself (I have had an occasional Cuban cigar) it was a bit of a struggle acclimatasting [a new word for the Doktorhops lexicon] to smoke flavours but now I am there, oh yes.

Food match: I couldn't help but think that the entire menu of a Bavarian pub would work with this, especially anything pork related - if you see "schinken" on the menu: Get it.

4.59/5  rDev +10.9%

Deep crimson-bronze with a bright tangerine border. The 'pffft' on crown cracking wasn't all that loud and the smallish cap is further evidence of a relative lack of carbonation. The head is the color of oatmeal and is dense and persistent despite its diminutive size. Beautiful beer, acceptable head.

I have a feeling that I'll be using the word smoke a lot during this review since I'll be damned if I can think of many adequate synonyms. The aroma abounds with... uh... smoke. Incredibly so. I knew this beer would be a smoke bomb and it is. Roasted malt soaked in and dripping with bacon grease just about covers it. Oh yeah, I love it! Despite my relative lack of rauchbier experience, I proclaim this one to be definitive.

The flavor is simply outstanding. I was expecting wall-to-wall smokiness that steamrolled everything in its path, but that isn't what this beer is all about. At least as much as the rest of the Schlenkerla line, Urbock retains its beerness in the face of a withering, permeating, all-encompassing smokiness. As befits the style, it's heavily malty, sweet and solid as a rock.

The beechwood-charred, sooty, just short of ashy, smokiness isn't over the top, it's simply at the top. Aficionados of rauchbiers would be hard-pressed to find one this pungent, yet this drinkable. Interestingly enough, bacon grease comparisons don't come readily to mind. It's simply smoke, smoke and more smoke. I almost expect to see puffs and plumes rising off the surface of the beer.

The aftertaste is, go figure, sweetly smoky. It's permeating my mouth in the same way that cigarette smoke permeates my clothes after a night in a brewpub. Only in this case, it's more than welcome. Despite my worries that the carbonation would be inadequate, it's actually pleasantly subdued and enlivening at the same time. Although the mouthfeel isn't as bacon greasy as expected, on reflection, that's a good thing. It is plenty full, though, and makes the beer a joy to drink.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock is the Big Kahuna, the Head Honcho, the Top Dog; not only of the Brauerei Heller-Trum lineup, but of all rauchbiers the world over. It manages to combine an eye-watering, palate-flooding amount of smokiness with a superbly crafted urbock, the result of which is a transcendant drinking experience that one is unlikely to find anywhere else.

Appearance: huge head that dimples, dark brown, medium carbonation

Smell: pepper, campfire smoke, pork, and spice

Taste: huge smoky wood taste, spice, pork, burnt malt

Mouthfeel: very smooth, medium light body

Drinkability: I feel sort of bad giving this all fives, but truth be told I believe this is the benchmark for my favorite style. If I could have one beer for the rest of my life this is it. The smoke is not subtle--it is amazing. The other flavors are very complex. This hides the alcohol well. Everything a rauch should be. Everything a beer should be. This is the beer for me.

A: Very dark brown with very little foam, though may have been due to how I poured it. Low carbonation.

S: Excellent pork BBQ smoky smell. Smells is if someone filtered it through charcoal from a pig smoker after smoking pork all day.

T: Tastes exactly how it smells. Stronger taste than I expected but that was a pleasant surprise. Awesome finish, slightly bitter, though bitter is a stronger word than I'd like.

M: Very smooth and easy to drink. Slight bitterness that twists the mouth a little, but it just makes you want to drink more. Very little carbonation made drinking it quickly quite easy.

O: I'm lucky enough to have 3 craft been bars here that have thousands of beers between their coolers and taps and a beer store with several hundred beers as well. I've tried countless beers over the years and come to love a handful that I'd recommend to anyone, but this is leaps and bounds better than anything I've had before. It was a little pricey at $5 a beer (retail store, not a bar) but well worth it. My only complaint is how fast it goes haha.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into cylinder glass. The color is a beautiful deep, dark, ruby read with a creamy two-finger light-tan head and impressive lacing. It's a beautiful beer. It smells like your clothes do after sitting around a campfire on a drizzly night. This is the smokiest smell I've experienced in a beer. But it's more than smoky; it's like a barbeque. There is a fruity sweetness, as well. It is an incredibly fragrant beer. The taste is quite smoky but as it warms in the glass you begin to taste some chocolate, roasted malts, burnt coffee, and some caramel. It is dry and finishes with some hoppy bitterness. This beer is medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, and quite drinkable at 6.6% ABV. This is my first experience with this style and I see this beer as being more appropriate paired with food than for casual drinking. That said, it is very tasty.

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

500ml bottle poured into tulip 20/7/14

A looks fairly dark until held to the light, has a clear maroon glow, big short lived tan foam leaves lots of random lace

S its smokey no doubt, smells like campfire clothing, smoked meat, faint coco and hard toffee, earthy notes, salty brine, smells like it should

T less smoke then the nose but that still leaves plenty, more chocolate, earthy notes are strong, similar to the nose but not quite the same levels of smoke

M lighter side of medium, stops just short of foam, intense smokey aftertaste just keeps going

O it is what it claims, lots of smoke, super easy to drink, I'm wishing I had some BBQ to eat with this

I bought this one to make some sauce the ribs I'm making and I think I'll need to grab another bottle to eat with them.

The king of the rauchbiers that is produced by the best rauchbier brewery. Everything comes together at the top for this supreme rauchbier. A little bit smokey for many and a taste of great bacon permeates.

4.79/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured bottle into a goblet.

Look: Dark ruby, brown with no head. Generally clear but with minor haze. Small layer of tan bubbles.

Smell: Very heavy smoke followed by bacon/beef jerky. Pleasant.

Taste: Smoke, bacon, and bready malt. Chocolate notes come through as well. Balanced hop bitterness but not much flavor. Pleasant smoke flavor lingers but not overpowering. Rich and balanced.

Mouth Feel: Big body but balanced with firm carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Incredibly pleasant to drink. Definitely able to have more than one during a sitting. Quite approachable.

4.62/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Superb! Better than their Märzen! Deep, dark, clear chestnut hue, with a fine, creamy tan head which fades quickly. Great smoky/malty nose... Unbelievable aroma of smoked meats. Lovely! Quite smooth and almost full-bodied... The extra sweetness present by being a Bock makes this a wonderful bier. A perfect level of sweetness with a huge dose of Rauch! Awesome! Dry finish with smokiness lingering long and hard. Mmmmm!!

Zum Wohl!

overall: 4.6
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

50cl bottle poured into Paulaner seidel

BBE July 2011

A- Jet black with hints of ruby in the light. Excellent clarity with a 3 finger creamy tight head. Retention is good as is lacing.

S- Due to the intense smokiness, this reminds of any smoked food i have ever eaten - pork, bacon, fish etc. Underneath this there is a hint of dark chocolate and toffeeish malt.

T- Toasted and biscuity sweet malts linger underneath the smoke. Finish does manage to retain a lot of bock like sweetness. Lager clean.

M- Moderate carbonation and body.

D- An intense smokey experience while still retaining bock-like malt sweetness. Very tasty and im sure an excellent pairing for a lot of foods.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A - Pours a deep, rich mahogany with a nice tan head. This looks very appetising.

S - Woodsmoke, some malts. Nice, in the sense of what is expected from a Rauchbier.

T - Interesting, there is a nice sweetness on the front palate and a gentle but noticeable smokiness as the flavours progress. It isn't as harsh as expected but nice. I get a small amount of bitterness on the end as well. Very good.

M - Medium body, average carbonation. This is a reasonably substantial beer but it isn't cloying.

D - This is tough. The beer is nice to drink and is something I want to drink but it is odd and not something you want to have more than one of.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Nice smoke beer. Has a lingering aftertaste of smoked meats, as expected. To me, the Alaskan and Stone smoked porters are the gold standard for the style. Still, this is the European traditional Rauchbier and they know what they're doing, that's for sure.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear brown color with tan head. Aroma has quite intense smoked malts, sweet, slightly sugary and a nice ham note. Taste is also sweet and malty, quite smoky, a bit roasty on the finish with a light bitterness. Medium body with medium to light carbonation. Overall it's quite smooth and easy drinking. Maybe you have to adjust at first to the intense smokiness but once you did, it drinks really well.

2.75/5  rDev -33.6%

4.1/5  rDev -1%

This beer is one that you will either love or hate. I loved it. The beer is a mysterious dark brown/black that pours with a slight head. The nose is full of smokiness, and the taste is one of smoked ham/bacon with a big malty underpinning. The smoke becomes less shocking as I made my way through the beer, or perhaps my palette was just overwhelmed. I don't know if I could have more than one of these beers at a sitting, but I wouldn't need to - it really is a meal in itself.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 500 mL bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brown color with reddish edges. Has a small, tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

Smell: Deep and smoky. This smells like smoked cheese or meat. It literally smells like there should be bacon bits in this beer. Behind the smokiness, there is a bit of a sweet malty smell to it.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front. Towards the back, it gains a malty character with the same smokiness detected in the smell. The flavor is more subdued than I was expecting but still pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery and light-bodied but not disappointingly so.

Drinkability: Rauchbiers are certainly unique brews. I've never known a beer that tasted and smelt like meat. This is the first rauchbier I've had but I'll certainly be looking to try more of them in the future.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.21/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.95/5  rDev +19.6%

This brew is an extraordinarily balanced composition of sweet and smoked malts and bittering hops that just begs to be drunk. Pours a nifty umber underneath a fine and lacy head. Nose is a smoked honey-baked ham on xmas morn. The velvety body pins a sublime aftertaste on the buds and I would love to have a stock of Schlenkerla Urbock whenever the mood calls for one.

If you like beer and smoked foods than get your lips on this my friend. Superb!

Cheers to VENOM for the sample!

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a crystal clear light-medium brown color with a nice fine-bubbled light tan head that has great retention.

Smell is very smoky and delicious, it makes my mouth water. Has a smoked pork type smell...nearly ham like. Hints of sweet malts and chocolate.

Smoke flavor is heavy, but not overpowering. Malts find a way to make their presence known in other ways as well, adding to the complexity of this beer in the form of bittersweet chocolate and toasty alcohol flavors. Very nice...a must try for rauchbier fans. I would buy this again in a heartbeat. Went well with some North Carolina style BBQ.

My favorite smoked beer, fo sho.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Poured from 16.9oz bottle into 500ml Wiehenstephaner World Cup glass.

Appearance: Cola color with a large, foamy beige head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind thick lace.

Smell: Woody/smoky aroma (similar to that of smoked gouda cheese) clearly dominates, with some sweet malts underneath.

Taste: As with the aroma, this beer has the same smoky flavor throughout. Sweet caramel malt dominates up-front, with the smoky flavor taking over the finish, alongside mild bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with balanced carbonation and a bit of a dry finish.

Drinkability: This is my first rauchbier, and I really like the style. I love smoked gouda cheese, and this basically tastes like smoked gouda cheese+beer. Fantastic.

4.34/5  rDev +4.8%