Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,394 |  Reviews: 717

4.98/5  rDev +20.6%

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

From notes 1-19-10

Eye: Deep dark brown in color, mahogany. Head is tan in color and is a thick blanket over the beer, lacing is sheets leaving thick rings showing the process of how much of the glass has been drank. All in all this is one good looking beer, extremely clear with ruby highlights and a good looking creamy head, who could say no? Coupled with the aroma this brew's appearance is a Tour De Force.

Nose: Total smoked meat, smoked greasy bacon. Awesome! Much different than the Aecht Marzen, that had much more of a raw smoke to it, this is more of a smoked meat, smoked bacon...makes my mouth water. Sweet salty smoked bacon. Also some malt under there, but pretty background, its noticable if you get past the smokey meat, it supports and does a nice job doing so. Green smokey pine. This is one of the most interesting beers that I've ever put my nose to, definitely the king of Smoked, or Rauchbiers. American micro "smoked" porters and stouts have nothing on this.

Tongue: Great malt backbone supports the smokiness, and smoked greasy bacon. The first thing that hits my tongue was roasted malts and bitterness from them and some charred black malt. Some sweet malt does make it through as well. Smokiness and char linger long after the beer has been swallowed. Believe it or not, hops are here for bittering purposes, even maybe a tinge in flavor as well...can be picked out because they're hops but not distinguished...just hops. At the finish alcohol is present, not big or outstanding, but present...not enough to detract from the flavor profile though. Not smokey in the same way as the Marzen, that was more campfire smoke and general smoke....this is definitely smoked meat. Its so potent I am transported to a smokehouse, a wood structure with full bodied cows, pigs, and whatnot hanging from meat hooks. Really it does transport me there, its like you're there...This is how I imagine a smokehouse would be...all the sensations. Excellent!

edit: Now I'm starting to get some vinous characteristics...this is one serious beer....vinous characteristics akin to Cabernet Sauvignon. This would be a killer beer to cook with, from beer butt chicken, to using is as a marinade, to using it in a burger this beer would be a great one to cook with.

Feel and Drinkability: Body is heavy with low carbonation as befits the bock part of this. Can't ask more from the feel aspect of this, it can't be beat. This is one hell of a drinkable beer, its easy to drink...I love it. The only problem is though I'd like to drink more than one of these, after a while the taste buds become used to the smokiness and smoked meat that it offers and it becomes less potent and mind blowing as I near the end of the bottle. The palate becomes accumulated to it. However this is prolly the fourth or fifth bottle I've had in the span of two months. For a single beer that costs about six dollars thats pretty regular. Definitely give this a try, hugely worth it. I'll always be coming back to this beer...Its a shame that this was my first smoked beer, it being one of the best I'll be disappointed with all others I try....

4.96/5  rDev +20.1%

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: 16.9 fl oz bottle - no freshness date

Appearance: Dark brown but not opaque with thick tan head that laced nicely.

Smell: Wow is the aroma smoky. Malt aroma tries to come through as well but is dominated by the smoke.

Taste: Right away the smoky flavor comes through. Smoky flavor is meaty, charcoal and wood like. A little malt sweetness peeks its way through as well.

Mouth Feel: Moderate carbonation and slightly syrupy.

Drinkability: Perfect. Its like, I can't believe these flavors, let me have another, and another.

Comments: I am totally blown away by this beer. Totally bold, over the top, and it doesn't pull its punches. The flavors are incredible. I do not want to have this with food because I don't want to disturb the flavors. Heck, this IS food. I can drink this all day and night.

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

This brew is an extraordinarily balanced composition of sweet and smoked malts and bittering hops that just begs to be drunk. Pours a nifty umber underneath a fine and lacy head. Nose is a smoked honey-baked ham on xmas morn. The velvety body pins a sublime aftertaste on the buds and I would love to have a stock of Schlenkerla Urbock whenever the mood calls for one.

If you like beer and smoked foods than get your lips on this my friend. Superb!

Cheers to VENOM for the sample!

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

Been looking forward to this beer for a long time! Pours a bark root beer brown with a big foamy tan head that recedes to a 1/4 inch cap. Aroma is alder smoke big time over a mild beery underpinning. Smooth going down, the adler smoke is not as evident in the taste as the aroma but very very nice indeed mixed perfectly with a caramelly malt and tiny grassy hop flavor. Eminently drinkable. The 16.9 oz is disappearing quickly! Spectacular with pork.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

This beer is amazing. It's dark but not heavy. Sweet but no sticky. The smoke is there but not over powering. Smells great like a wood after the bon fire.

4.94/5  rDev +19.6%

This past weekend, I attended a German beer festival at Atlantic Station in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Over a dozen other German brewers were represented including many of the top selling brands. I had heard about the smoked beer from Bamberg, Germany, and was very excited to finally try some.

Fortunately I arrived early enough to get my official beer glass and the lines were not too long. It was almost 100 degrees that day and everyone was suffering from the hot summer. I was almost cooking myself, so the smoked beer seemed appropriate. Wow! the smoked Aecht Urbock Rauchbier was sensational! It did indeed smell like meat that had been cooked to perfection over seasoned wood. The taste was wonderful--unlike any beer I had ever tasted. To my surprise, the taste was not overwhelming where you were satiated and wanted only a small taste. The pleasure of the beer continued glass after glass.

I went to Green's package store on Buford Highway the other day and bought a dozen bottles for myself and to introduce to my beer drinking
friends.

I plan to always keep this beer around and plan to visit Bamberg on my annual spring beer tour.

Highly recommended!

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

This is my favorite beer. I have reccomended this to many people over the years and people usually fall into two camps. 1) The worst thing I have ever tasted 2) Truly wonderfull and unique beer and drinking experience.

Very dark brown beer with a nice head that disapated quickly. Wonderful smoky smell to this beer. Bacon liquid smoke and BBQ come to mind. This taste is more of the same. Great smokey flavor. This beer is extremely easy drinking and quite refreshing. A wonderful change of pace from all of the extremely hopped American beers and other styles with tons of additional flavorings and ingredients. This is a true testiment to the Bavarian purity laws. Smokey but extremely crisp and clean.

Also this beer cooks very well. I made a excellent batch of Chili with this beer.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Got as an extra from johnnnniee - many thanks...and it completes my Aecht trilogy! Poured from a 650 ml bottle into a pint glass. No dating info but a winter seasonal so either very fresh or a year old. Was a dark mahogany color. Had a two finger beige head that settled into a thin foam covering and a thick collar.

The aroma was heavy on beechwood smoke along with smoked meat. Very comparable to the marzen version and much better than the weizen version. For a rauchbier, this may be perfection. The taste followed the aroma with the meaty taste kicking in more. Mmmm...liquid meat. Great liquid smoke finish. Mouthfeel was creamy with low to moderate carbonation. Nice smoky after-taste.

Overall, this is the classic rauchbier. I would rank just above their marzen and way above the weizen. Most highly recommend especially if you want to try the rauchbier style - might as well start at the top. For me, I love the style but the meaty aroma and flavor would be too much after one so this is an every couple months style. When I want to have a rauchbier this one will jump to front of mind for sure. Rotation - not avail in TX so got as an extra. If avail here, I'd have every couple months. As-is, keep trading for it. Definite on-tap if I can find it.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

This is one hell of a beer.

A - Clear, but a very dark brown. A finger, slightly less, of off white foam rises. The retention is moderate, falling to a thick collar. There's actually quite a bit of lacing.

S - Smoky, but amazingly complex. BBQ and mesquite flavors come to mind. Oak, sausage, BBQ potato chips, even a touch of brown sugar. This couldn't get any better.

T - All the smoke and mesquite from the nose are present, but instead of dominating, they ride a wave of wonderfully sweet malt. Spicy flavors kick it at first, reminding me of coriander, cumin, red pepper, and even a touch of garlic. The sweetness takes over with rich molasses notes and a healthy dose of what seems like vinegar. The finish is full of the actual smoke and wood notes, leaving a pleasant aftertaste. This stuff is like liquid barbeque sauce.

M - Medium bodied, quite creamy, very substantial for a lager. Carbonation is low but this works perfectly.

D - For a beer that's this far off the beaten path, this is pretty damn drinkable. I'm already looking forward to having another one before too long. Though I've enjoyed my other two experiences with Aecht Schlenkerla (the Marzen and Weizen) this one broke new ground. It wasn't simply a thin beer with smoke overtones, it was an entire symphony of cohesive flavor.

Highly recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance: Dark ruby brown with smallish head that retires quickly, leaving no lacework.

Smell: Mmmmm. Strong smoky aroma, of course. Many describe it similar to bacon, but I don't get that myself. It has more of a campfire smell to me. Also some pungent malt. And some phenolic medicinal notes, like camphor.

Taste: The smoke dominates the flavor profile, particularly during the finish. Mid-palate sees hints of malt coughing its way out from behind the clouds of smoke, but they're quickly obscured. The finish is smoke and hops. The smoke character is, again, not like bacon (not salty enough). It's what I imagine smoked maple syrup would taste like, if someone were to bother smoking maple syrup.

Mouthfeel: Thickish, but not full-bodied. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: I love these beers. If I were the sort of person who could settle down and drink just one type of beer regularly, it would be this one.

Overall: This is the King of Smoked Beer, and with good reason. The only smoke beer I've ever had that was better was the peat-smoked Adelscott, from Fischer. I love smoke beers with a passion, and you should too.

4.92/5  rDev +19.1%

Had this on tap in Bamberg

A : It was a nice dark brown with a good head

S : BBQ, bacon, smoked pork, heaven.

T : The only way to describe it was liquid bacon. Really rich. Also, lots of smoke flavor.

M : Rich, creamy, meal in a glass

D : I loved this beer and wish I could easily get it on draft here. I've had it in the bottle but that in no way compares to the goodness on tap.

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

This beer poured a rather clear dark ruby red brown with a samll but thick white/tan head.

The nose was simply amazing. Smoke, meat, molases, wood, some slight hints of spice. Basically the best way to describe it is that it smells like a cross between a beefstick and smoked gouda.

The taste is even more interesting. You'd think with the nose it'd knock you over with the meat taste. But... it actually starts off very malty instead. Roasted malt, slight chocolate, dark sugar, molases, and a nice even bitterness. Light carbonation. Medium bodied. Simply a nice even dark beer taste. But then as the beer continues across the tongue the meat and smoke flavors hit you. Meaty and smokey. Just like the nose. Smoked gouda or a beefstick. Very unique.

It ends with a very smooth hop bitterness complimented by the smoked meat flavor.

You either love this beer or hate it. Maybe not the most vegatarian friendly tasting beer. Simply though, it is the best of it's style. A perfect balance of all the flavors, with a nice sepperation too. Almost as you're drinking a fine french bordeaux, but of smoke and malt.
A must try if you like smokey beers.

Be careful, a good burp might bring the flavor back for up to a few hours after trying this beer. ;-)

4.9/5  rDev +18.6%

In my adventures and travels 5 years ago I came across a small town in Germany named Bamberg I was there with the 173rd Airborne this town is know for its exceptional smoked beers. Now at first you might think smoking a beer sounds crazy but let me tell you have a big old plate of jager schnitzel with a few of these.... so heavenly... I'm not going to go into detail about this beer but I must tell you its is a must for any beer connoisseur for the sheer experience.

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%

A: Dark dark brown. Creamy tan head.

S: Clean, oaky bacon smoke. Dark toasty quality. Sweet and creamy.

T: Creamy, nutty, toasty front. Smoke is still present and delicious. Finishes a little more dry, and slightly roasty.

M: Creamy, clean medium body.

O: Really delicious. Not as sweet as I recall the Marzen being. Incredible smoked beer. Really gives smoked beer an incredible name. Really warming without being to sweet/high in alcohol. Love this.

4.89/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla