Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,397 |  Reviews: 718
1.18/5  rDev -71.5%

Let’s see, where do I begin?
....Appearance... Nice chocolate brown with tan head and good lacing
...Aroma..like the time a house burned in our neighborhood, and the wet, damp, smoky smell afterward
...Flavor...drinking the runoff from that fire
...Palate...cook a steak extremely well done, throw out steak, eat charcoal..that’s it

Try as I might, I could not finish this.

THIS CRAP WAS HORRIBLE!!

1.23/5  rDev -70.3%

SMOKE

1.25/5  rDev -69.8%

1.43/5  rDev -65.5%

Purchased in 12/2010 Prague, pivotéka časy.Pravděpodobně-mean I do not like this style of beer, awful bitter taste. I bought 0.5 liters and I drank only 0.1, I had to dump the rest. I'll have a bitter beer, but this is extreme. RECOMMENDED PSPil am from the same brewery as weizenbock and I enjoyed it

1.73/5  rDev -58.2%

Bottle: solid brown 500mL bottle, nice German label.

Appearance: nice, almost jet black with chocolate brown highlights. I can't even see the carbonation through the thick body.

Aroma: woah, that's different. Before I judge this beer, I'd like to say that I haven't had a proper rauchbier before. Smells of off meat, smoke and rot.

Taste: flavour across the palate follows the nose - tastes of rotting meat, smoke, rancid bacon and cigarette stubs.

Aftertaste: all of the flavours linger for a quite a time, which was... pleasant.

Mouth feel: though I don't like the beer (I think purely because I am not used to the style), I will admit that the thick body and low carbonation works beautifully well to carry the flavour across enormously.

Overall: I think that once I get used to Rauchbiers and smoked beers in general, I would have to admit this is a good one. I'll have to try a few less intense ones first and try this one again some day.

1.75/5  rDev -57.7%

1.77/5  rDev -57.2%

I asked the guy at the store what he had that was unique and different. Wow, did I get that!

Hmm.. I opened the bottle not knowing what to expect.

It's a really deep, dark color. I was ready to be impressed.

It has a smell that screams "Oscar Mayer Bacon".

It poured with very little head. Than it tasted just like it smelled... and the after taste; just too overbearing to be called good or enjoyable.

No lacing.

99% went down the drain. They should leave this brew in their 700 year old cellar.

Maybe I should just go back to APA's or IPA's

1.82/5  rDev -56%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

07/16/05- Purchased at a Sonoma wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into a 24oz glass mug.

Appearance- Black pour with a small 1/2 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Cured bacon. Make that burnt cured bacon. Very undesireable scent for me.

Taste- The scent does not lie. Basically a cocktail of liquid smoke, charcoal and bacon that has been marinated in sea salt and salt in a frying pan on high for a whole day.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel was perfectly fine. Lower carbonation and an easy swallow.

Drinkability- Well, this was my last attempt ever I think at a Rauchbier. I wanted to go out in good fashion by trying a highly rated one. This proves that Rauchbiers or smoked beers are not my cup of tea. I wanted to give it good makrs, because you are supposed to rate accoring to style, which this one hits dead on. But I just can't. If you like smoked beers, go for it, it's all yours. An aquired taste to be sure.

1.83/5  rDev -55.8%

Acquired via trade. The last Smoked beer I had was the Alaskan Smoked Porter. Damn that was a good beer. This? Not so much. The beer is a nice dark brown color with a medium beige head and thin lacing. The aroma is equal parts ashtray smoke and Purina Beggin’ Strips. Medium-bodied with a very smoky character, as a matter of fact it dominates everything else in the beer. The finish is more of the same. I think my wife’s question of why I smelled like a cigarette (I don’t smoke) after drinking it about sums it up. It’s just too much.

Ok, I hate to even review this, because it may be well crafted. It may be the best rauch beer you could buy. But it's not for me. Holy Terrible!

2.08/5  rDev -49.8%

Certainly, as Jason so elloquently stated, this style of brew is an acquired taste. To be sure, I have yet to acquire that taste, for whatever reason. Extremely smokey, with just a minor hint of background sweetness and malt. I could not get the idea out of my head that I was french-kissing a dirty ashtray... I will try this style again, just to make sure I am not missing something.

Prosit!

2.11/5  rDev -49%

I love smoked meats, the smell of smoke. I own a smoker and get grilling quite often. So naturally i thought smoked beer! that sounds great! wrong. Ladies and gentlemen this is the first beer i have ever, EVER! poured down the drain. smelled good though, smoky

2.21/5  rDev -46.6%

Rauchbier, not my thing. Looks ok, deep brown, neat little free flow carbonation. Smells like bad beef jerky and soy sauce.

Taste = meat juice + malt. Actually, that would suffice for the review.

Mouthfeel, if you don't enjoy the taste, its hard to enjoy whatever complexities may be evidence from throwing a roasted pig or something into the boil. Drinkability, this is damn challenging.

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

2.25/5  rDev -45.7%

2.32/5  rDev -44%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Oily exterior, real brown stuff, bordering on black. Some tan head on it, 1/3". Smells like a steak marinade.

Holy crap, this is smoky as hell, so much meat juice to it. Not my cup of tea. I tried and tried. Some people love this beef hash oil rauchbier. I just can't. Don't take my review for anything other than my displeasure, I like very minimal smoke. This beer has tons of smoke and beef to it.

2.4/5  rDev -42%

2.46/5  rDev -40.6%

Wow, this is definitely an acquired taste! (One that I don't think I'll want to acquire...) If you like hanging out in smokehouses, you might like this beer, but for me, it was like being beaten over the head with the predominant smoke flavor.

It poured a clear dark maroon, with a tan head. Smoke was the main aroma, with a touch of malt sweetness. Tastes were SMOKE, kielbasa, and a wee bit of malt. Mouthfeel was thin and watery. Finish was (surprise, surprise) SMOKE!

Next time I want a smoked beer, I'll go for the Stone Smoked Porter. This one is more like a liquified smoked sausage, or drinking the water you just put out the campfire with...

2.53/5  rDev -38.9%

Appearance: Deep, rich, dark brown. Very little head apparent when poured. Slight light penetrates the galss & gives a reddish apearance. Medium carbonation.

Aroma: Very smoky with slight hints of malt. More smoky than I was expecting. You can smell it from a few feet away like your glass was just on fire! Slightly sweet smell detected too...

Taste: Very sweet with slight smokiness. The smoky flavor is not as apparent in the flavor as in the aroma. Very solid malt palette. Rich caramel & burnt toast. Clean finish with ever so slight hop balance.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with low carbonation (although looked more carbonated when poured). Slightly cloying but finishes fairly clean. Quite thick....

Drinkability: Medium-low. A bit thick for more than 1 small serving. A good experience, but not overly drinakable after one.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla