Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,385 |  Reviews: 709

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

3.02/5  rDev -26.9%

3.04/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured into a Moretti chalice

Beer pours a dark brown with light tan head

smells are of malts as well as burnt firewood.

Taste is nice rich malt, slight coffee and hint of chocolate/cocoa. Aftertaste is a heavy dose of the burnt firewood flavor that I mention above.

This was my first foray into the style of smoked beers. The beer wasn't that bad, but the smoke profile was definetly what you would call an acquired taste. Perhaps if that smoke flavor were more subdued, this would have been a more enjoyable experience, but it was too overpowering for me to be enthusiastic about exploring this again anytime soon.

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%

The sweetest of the Aecht beers. The aroma is sweet as well as smokey. The appearance is a deep maroon brown and the head is smaller than the other Aecht beers. The sweet flavor in this one is similar to molasses. The palate could be a bit thicker. Overall this is the best of the Aecht smoke beers but still very smokey.

3.07/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Poured deep ruby and clear. Medium-sized head is creamy and white in color. Aroma is distincively deep and roasted with sweetish smoked ham-like malts, some ash and a hint of hops. Rich flavor is full of smoked, sweetish malts and the finish is medium bitter. Some sourish, coffee-like roastedness in the finish too. Palate is supersmooth and silky, medium bodied and slick. Fuller and more biter than märzen. Can't say this is my style.

3.09/5  rDev -25.2%

3.11/5  rDev -24.7%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Pours a deep ruby brown with a thick khaki head.

Aroma is a combination of Robitussin cough syrup and root beer. I've had a few Schlenkerla rauchbiers, all of which I've really liked - and this is the first one that doesn't smell good to me. There's this cherry syrup aroma I just can't get past.

Taste also has a medicinal quality, but more of a numbing Chloraseptic taste. I've picked this sensation/taste up in other rauchbiers too, and it has to be a function of the smoke - but it has never been so pronounced. Thankfully the cherry syrup characteristic I picked up in the aroma is diminished in the taste, or I might not be able to finish this.

Otherwise, this beer has a nice brown ale/Märzen sweetness after I get used to the beech smoke - medium body, good mouthfeel. The numbing aspect of the smoke is still a little overpowering. The label says that the Urbock is similar to Schlenkerla's Märzen but has a "higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation" - maybe the smoke is just a little too much for me.

Overall I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and I hate to ding a beer from such a great, unique brewery. But this is definitely not my favorite rauchbier and I can't say I'll be coming back to it. I'm not really enjoying this beer very much.

Note: Given the early responses to this thread http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4151434 I might give this one another shot.

3.12/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.15/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla