Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,407 |  Reviews: 721
3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Deep translucent chestnut-mahogany hue, with about threefingers of khaki head, leaving behind massive lacing.

S - Smoke, similar to mesquite, with an intangible aromatic quality attached that is best described as something close to an ozone smell. Lots of wood. Not as strong aromatics as the Marzen.

T - The smoke is not as dominant in the taste, though it is omnipresent. Underlying malt sweetness is apparent, as is bitter hops on the finish. Smoke lingers beyond all else.

M - Decent feel, the carbonation could've lasted longer.

D - This beer is so potent in flavor, that it becomes taxing rapidly.

4.83/5  rDev +16.7%

Another olympic beer to be added - i like all the other schlenkerlas but this is made for the gods or maybe by them.

Urbock is arguably the style that has been devised by the gods - possibly Zeus himself - to be smoked on open fire and served to me.

I have nothing to add chaps other than get some!!!

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

Finally enjoying this brew thanks to TMoney2591.

Poured into a Spaten mug, this Urbock is a very dark, root beer brown with a slowly developing, but large head.

The smell is amazing. Smoked meats, mostly sausage and bacon. Bonfire and grill smoke blowing in my face, but in a pleasant way. I'm very pleased with this aroma.

Taste mimics the nose well, while not quite as intense. However, as the beer warms, the taste intensifies and keeps me wanting more. It becomes quite smoky and meaty. Yum. Some bitterness follows behind the smoke.

This actually drinks pretty smoothly. Medium bodied and carbonated just right.

I will have no problem finishing this bottle, and I will continue to seek out more like this. Being the first Rauchbier I have had, I have a feeling this one sets the bar pretty high.

3.56/5  rDev -14%

This one has a nice cherry-stained wood appearance, clear, with some tan rocky head that leaves a little lacing. Pretty color, better head than the marzen. Smell is ok, some smokiness and some nuttiness, though it is quite muted. Taste is pretty good, some nice charred smoke flavors with some nuttiness and a bit of maltiness in there. My only complaint is that the smoke flavors aren't quite as rich and flavorful as some other rauchbiers I've had--this one flirts with the ashy side of smoke, which I do not like. It doesn't go quite as far on the ashiness as Weyerbacher's Fireside Ale, but it's not perfect. I'm looking for flavors of roasted pork, BBQ, etc. Medium mouthfeel, clean and light on the palate, without moving too fast to get any flavor. Decent drinkability, though the ashiness came out as the bottle came along, making it a bit tougher toward the end.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Pours a cola brown-black with ruby highlights and an ecru head that puckers and leaves trailers of lace. Nose is pure smoked dried sausage. Smoky malts are underlain with barley malt syrup, rain forest honey and red berry followed by sandalwood and Werther's Originals. Whiskey barrel finish. Light to medium, round and prickly.

Monument to balance and drinkability for the style. I need to line up some of the other releases from this brewer to tease out the differences.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

500 mL brown bottle with a distinct shape, served cool into a goblet.

It has a deep brown hue with off-white head. Not really any retention to speak of but a bit of lace is left behind.

Aroma is smokey but not over the top. Like a nice American porter with a hint of smoked malt.

Flavor is a bit stronger than the smell would suggest. It's definately a smoke beer. Good strong malt backbone lends itself to the smoked malts. It's not for the faint of heart but it can be enjoyed under the right circumstances.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

Overall an interesting beer and one that would have totally taken me by surprise if it weren't for Fort Collins Brewery and their Z lager.

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%

After taking a shot at Aecht Marzen a while ago, and after finding myself in a rather smoky mood at the liquor store, I thought I'd give this one a try. Glad I did, too. It retains the phenomenal, meaty, charred scent characteristic of Aecht's brews, but with a slightly richer flavor that's more in line with what one would expect of such a well-presented beverage. Mouthfeel, again, is slightly more watery than I'd hope, but still drinkable, and the taste lingers pleasantly in the mouth for a while. Would probably buy again.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Beer served in a stange for some reason. Beer is dark brown with a thick head of small bubbles that completely coats the glass. Beer is clear and carbonation appears to be minimal.

Aroma is quite hickory with a lot of smoke. There is also some sweetness in there but its mostly smoke.

Beer is medium to light in body and the smoke is the dominant flavor in here. It finishes pretty cleanly and the smokiness kind of lingers in your mouth but not as an aftertaste. There is some mild caramel in there if you can see past the smoke. Overall its pretty good. Not my favorite of the bunch but a damn fine one.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Clear dark brown, big head, nice lacing.

Smell: Smoked ham.

Taste: Starts with some nice sweetness, then a smooth smoky flavor reminds me of smoked honey ham.

Drinkability: Kind of pricey, plus smoked beers are more a special occasion beer.

Singles were 30% discounted so I picked this one up because I've always wanted to try it, but the price tag had always scared me off. Very pleasantly surprised, nice smoky flavor without being too over-the-top. Definitely reminded me of smoked ham. Mmmm ham beer.

4.73/5  rDev +14.3%

Drank from my Westmalle Chalice.

A - Wow this beer pours a deep mahognay colour with a thick off white head that stays the distance and laces the glass

S - Heavy smoked wood from the bottle. Once poured has some smoked cheese aromas about it.

T - Such beautiful smokey malts that turn to smoked bacon and schenken speck, a hint of sweetness, but this beer is awesome

M - Full body and low carbonation, absoulte work of art.

D - What an experience this beer is. A+ all the way.

4.26/5  rDev +2.9%

500 mL bottle, into a Paulaner .5L mug,

A: Pours a dark blood red/brown with a soft off-white head, fair retention.

S: Smoke all the way, barbeque, unique and outstanding smoked wood nose. More of a direct smoke nose when compared with the marzen.

T: Robust full smoke flavour, bacon and wood. Definite bock sweetness, and almost a sweet smoke flavour in the finish.

M: Medium-bodied, a tad thin a points, full aftertaste.

D: As with the marzen this is a crazy experience. Delicious stuff, the ultimate BBQ beer. Every BBQ restaurant should have this stuff in bottles. Went well with a charcoal grilled Memorial Day burger.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

The beer pours dark red with a tan head. This is an awesome looking beer. The aroma is lots of meaty smoke with a little roasted malt. The flavor is heavy on the smoke with some darker malts and some dark fruits mixed in as well. As the beer warms, the smoke becomes more intense. Medium mouthfeel and low-medium carbonation.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

A: It pours dark amber with a thin head that quickly disappears into just a few bubbles floating on the surface. A light amount of carbonation is visible.
S: There's a strong, smoky aroma in the nose.
T: Like the smell, there are lots of flavors of smoky, roasted malts in the taste.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and very rich.
D: The beer has enough flavor to probably stand up on its own, but it's likely best paired with foods such as barbecue.

4.16/5  rDev +0.5%

Having recently had a rauchbier on tap at the other side, this one caught my eye today in the beer store. 16.9oz brown bottle. Pours a chestnut brown with visible carbonation and small whitish head that quickly dissipates. The smell is great, smoky as expected immediately calling to mind backyard bbq's and fireplaces. Taste follows especially up front but back end has some smoother maltiness. Agree with other reviews that mouthefeel is somewhat thin and would not be able to go for more than 1 of these, but an excellent beer nonetheless.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

I had this from the bottle at the Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell, NJ. It's part of their MBA program (Master of Beer Appreciation), so I was compelled to try it, but I had wanted to try a rauchbier anyway.

The beer is a dark brown in color with a very thin, tan head. The carbonation is not high, but any more might have not worked well with this style.

The smoke comes to you immediately. It smells like a campfire. If you didn't know that German for smoke was rauch, then you'd be able to infer that from the first whiff. It almost smelled like a bottle of Liquid Smoke.

The first taste was exactly like the smell, but then the aftertaste took me aback a little. It tasted a bit like Baco's at first, but I assume that came from the sliders I was eating with them, so I cleared my palate and found a little different flavor. If you've ever been in a house that burnt down after the fire department was gone, you know the taste of this beer. There is a sweetness from the malts and there is no discernible hops flavor.

The beer has got good body and has a pretty clean wash and the smoky aftertaste does not wear out its welcome.

At first I felt that I would not be able to finish this beer, but the tongue gets used to the smoky flavor and it becomes more and more welcome with each mouthful. Although I completed it, I'm not sure I'd order another. Perhaps this is just not my style.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

I poured into a pint glass to three fingers of tan head. It is brown. The aroma is smoky like barbeque. The taste is smoky as well with some burnt caramel malt. The mouthfeel is medium. It is another good rauchbier. This one is more subtle than the marzen. I preferred the stronger smokiness of that one. I did confirm my suspicion. This beer is great with grilled meat!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: poiurs a beautiful rusty garnett with a nice off-white head and a good amount of lacing.

S: great smoky character atop plenty of wood and a bit of sweetness. Fairly one dimensional but it's definitely done right.

T: smoke and almost a bit of gamey meat. Another impressive smoked beer from the folks over at Heller Trum.

M: a little bit on the thin side for flavors this full.

D: a great beer for a few ounce glass, but a little more than that (especially without an accompanying food pairing) and this will get overwhelming.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Poured into a stange.

4.5 A: Clear mahogany color. Three fingers of sticky frothy/creamy hybrid head with excellent retention and lots of randomly placed lacing.

4.0 S: Smoke, smoKE, smOKE, sMOKE SMOKE! This smells like a campfire or, more precisely, one's clothes the day after hanging out by a campfire. Underlying malt is pretty hard to pick out, but I think I'm getting bready malts.

3.5 T: The smoke is nearly as aggressive in the taste as well. It's perhaps too smoky for my tastes, but it's still a well crafted beer. Anyway, campfire smoke, musky dankness, toffee, and some crystal sweetness.

4.0 M: Medium body, yet there's a large thick and chewy aspect. Carbonation is good, but a little aggressive. I imagine this is as smooth as a Rauch will get.

3.5 D: This is my first true Rauchbier and it's quite a ride. The smoke flavor is massive and I probably wasn't prepared. I'll try to find a bunch more of these, then come back to this one and see if I feel any different about it.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Intense scents of smoked meat and leather (jerky). Dark brown pour with a thick tan, fluffy head.

Smokey, salty sweetness on the nose, a touch of spice, and fruit aroma (pear/peach?); reminiscent of BBQ sauce.

Taste is an interplay between smokey and salty (fishy in a good way) with a nice malt backbone. The finish is sweet and smokey as well. Hops are no where to be found.

Med/carbonation, light bodied and oh so drinkable. Very well balanced and the smoke isn't overpowering in the slightest. Overall very enjoyable and pleasantly surprising.

3.18/5  rDev -23.2%

A: Deep brown, with red highlights poking through.

S: Smells of burned bonfire. I also smell some cooked meat.

T: I can only pick up in taste similar to what I smell. Deep bonfire, "woodsyness," as well as cooked meats perhaps sausage or brats.

M/D: Seems very light, and would need to be consumed with the right foods. I just couldn't get into this beer. It was somewhat overwhelming in taste and smell. I attribute that to my lack of exposure to this style. I would like to try again, now that I know what to expect.

3.57/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured into a Bruery Tulip.

A: Dark pour with a thin head. Head dissipates quickly, leaving a thin ring around the outside of the glass. Very dark.

S: Mainly smoke. Maybe a touch medicinal in the nose. Smells interesting. I love smokey beers, so I feel right at home.

T: The smoked malt really shines, but I get a bitter/sour effect on the aftertaste. Not sure of an age on this beer, so I hope it isn't old. I know it was shelf stored and not refrigerated, so age could be a problem.

M: A little too thin for my liking. I love the big smokey flavor, but I need more body. Just a touch too watery.

D: Hard to say. I could enjoy the smoke sip after sip, but the aftertaste is wearing on me. I haven't seen any mention of this issue in the other reviews I've read, so I'll chalk it up to this bottle. I would love to try it again, especially from a different source.

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured it into a Stone pint glass. Retention is there, no lacing. Deep red-brown.

You know what it smells like. Camp fire and Band-Aid, equal parts. Excellent smoky malt aroma.

On the palate, I get the smoky wood upfront, then a burnt sweet raisin on the back end. Slight creaminess. Pretty complex lager here, I really like it.

Slightly syrupy and hefty in feel. Feels bigger than it is.

While it makes me thirsty, it does beckon sip after sip. Not that I have shelves full of options in this style, but this just became my go-to Rauchbier!

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a mug.

Pours an incredibly thick, foamy head that is long lasting and laces extremely well. The liquid is a deep brown with just a hint of dark amber around the edges.

Smells of smoked ham (makes my mouth water) and smokey malt sweetness.

Tastes very much like it smells. Big smokey flavors and just a hint of mild malts. This would be an excellent marriage of flavor with any smoked meat - most notably ham, but sausage, brats, pork (anything in the pork family that is smoked).

The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, mildly carbonated and leaves a nice coating on the tongue.

To me, this is a great beer experience. I let my wife, mother-in-law and father-in-law take a sip and let's just say the ladies weren't into it. You will definitely be wowed by this and it is an acquired taste to be sure. I'm actually really digging this brew. I just popped my smokebeer cherry with this, but I am already anxious to try more Rauchbier to see how this measures up.

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Another winner from this brewery. I dare say all their beers seem to pretty much taste the same to a degree, but when they taste this good..who cares? That familiar bacon, roast, bushfire smokiness. Perhaps not as pronounced as some of their other beers. No hop action to speak of but that doesn't matter. A medium weighted body, hardly any bitterness but lovely dry smokiness all the way down. Lovely stuff.

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

In my adventures and travels 5 years ago I came across a small town in Germany named Bamberg I was there with the 173rd Airborne this town is know for its exceptional smoked beers. Now at first you might think smoking a beer sounds crazy but let me tell you have a big old plate of jager schnitzel with a few of these.... so heavenly... I'm not going to go into detail about this beer but I must tell you its is a must for any beer connoisseur for the sheer experience.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla