Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock
Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,412 |  Reviews: 724

Let me start off by saying that I never really loved smoked beers before. Well, this one almost changed my mind. This is a murky dark brown liquid with a short-lived tan head of bubbles. The aromas are pure smoke, caramel and chocolate malts, and other roasty bock-like notes. The taste is smoky, but remains very bock-like and malty with a lot of complexities in the flavor profile. The mouthfeel is creamy, but a bit too chewy and the drinkability is good as well. This is a good beer all across the beer, and now I can appreciate smoked beers more. They are still not my favorite, but this one was damn good.

Served in the 500 mL bottle. The color is a dark amber, with a bubbly white head. The smell is basically like beef jerky. The taste is a very meaty smokiness. Mouthfeel is slightly thin. Drinkabilty-wise, could have one or two.

Definitely a unique beer. This is like drinking pureed beef jerky; now I love jerky (though my beer habit kills my funds for jerky), so this is a definite treat. Quite good, and I'd certainly have this one with barbeque or other such smoked meat.

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours an clear, dark brown with sticky white lace.

The aroma: oh my. My first rauchbier, this was a surprise. Strongly pungent of old ashes and wet, organic-laden smoky fires; brought back memories of childhood, when we used to burn off driftwood and other flotsam on the shore of Lake Erie. A strong hint of bacon as well; as a vegetarian I had to visit the website to make sure they weren't pitching hogs instead of yeast in the brewing process.

Taste is smooth, slightly bitter, not especially sweet. Bacon grease and more smoke, conjured up memories of camp breakfasts, cast-iron stoves, and the dead of winter. Finishes with a mildly malty, bock-ish zing.

An amazingly bizarre yet interesting style; who knew beer could jog such a vivid blast from the past? Maybe it's my German heritage, but I could definitely sit around sipping this all night and reminiscing with good friends and family.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a deep, clear burnt caramel. Head is khaki colored and foamy.
Aroma is of landjager, malt, charcoal, and burnt brown sugar.

Taste is of pork fat and charcoal smoke. Very reminiscent of spiced German sausage. Malt is relevant but not aggressive, creating a slightly thinner than desired mouthfeel, but supporting the smoky flavors.

This does not have a high drinkability due to the true potency of the intense smoked meat flavor, (drinkable, but not a session beer or anything), but I've gone back several times to buy more, so it certainly is a beer that makes you want to return to it again and again. Gets extra drinkability points for this. Also, this would be awesome with some grilled hot brats.

For the style, and excellent example -- good to have every once in a while when you're in the mood.

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

Nice crystal clear amber to light brown color with a soapy beige head. Nose of a pot belly stove in a cabin. Salami, smoke, and malt dominates the aroma profile. Rather malty tasting despite the big smoky nose. Rather crisp and refreshing. Nice malty bock base in this beer, I'd expect that even if it wasn't smoked, it'd be a world class bock on its own. I could think of a thousand food items that would accompany this beer beautifully. Effervescent and clean. I'd seek this one out again (with some smoked venison jerky and gouda next time though :))

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Presentation: 16.9oz. brown bottle; no "best by" or "bottled on" date; no ABV %; purchased for $3.99 from the WIne Expo on Santa Monica and Yale; "brewed according to the Bavarian purity-law" written in Gothic style script on the label.

Appearance: Pours a dark, dark brown with ruby highlights; rocky, mocha-hued head; a good b-cup's worth of lace, but not much in the way of head retention.

Aroma: Delightfully sweet and smoky with hints of molasses, mesquite and, yes, barbecued meat.

Taste: Decidedly likes its nose; tangy and sweet with huge notes of smoky, meaty (sic!) goodness; creamy, almost silky, mouthfeel; medium bodied.

Notes: I never imagined a beer could taste meaty...

4.9/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer poured a rather clear dark ruby red brown with a samll but thick white/tan head.

The nose was simply amazing. Smoke, meat, molases, wood, some slight hints of spice. Basically the best way to describe it is that it smells like a cross between a beefstick and smoked gouda.

The taste is even more interesting. You'd think with the nose it'd knock you over with the meat taste. But... it actually starts off very malty instead. Roasted malt, slight chocolate, dark sugar, molases, and a nice even bitterness. Light carbonation. Medium bodied. Simply a nice even dark beer taste. But then as the beer continues across the tongue the meat and smoke flavors hit you. Meaty and smokey. Just like the nose. Smoked gouda or a beefstick. Very unique.

It ends with a very smooth hop bitterness complimented by the smoked meat flavor.

You either love this beer or hate it. Maybe not the most vegatarian friendly tasting beer. Simply though, it is the best of it's style. A perfect balance of all the flavors, with a nice sepperation too. Almost as you're drinking a fine french bordeaux, but of smoke and malt.
A must try if you like smokey beers.

Be careful, a good burp might bring the flavor back for up to a few hours after trying this beer. ;-)

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

This pours a rich dark teak color, and despite a rather hard pour, the mostly large bubbly head dissipates, forming a thin beige ring with very little lace. A wonderful smoky malt and slight hop and faint alcohol aroma lasts a fair amount of time, eventually giving way to a pleasant morning after campfire smell. Full bodied and lightly sweet and amply hopped. Robust Maltiness blends well with citrus and spicy hop bitterness. This is an acquired taste that I've acquired while tasting and rating this fantastic brew!

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

Great aroma! Smoky molasses malts, barbecue, smoked sausage, oily. Ruby brown clear beer with small off-white head. Considering the aroma, the smoky taste was quite subdued - nice malty sweetness, like a bock. Light sweet finish and tinge of smokiness that I thought was less pronouced than in the maerzen. Mild-medium carb and light oily body. Very nice rauchbier, but not as smoky as the maerzen. Went great with smoked sausages and ham for dinner.

3.77/5  rDev -8.9%

Sweet malt aromas with some smoke, not nearly as much as their marzen which is much more the way I prefer it. Brown in color with some red highlights a small amount of creamy head. Bacon does come through in the flavor but not enough and is quickly overcome by the sweet malt. Pretty nicely complex. If you have to decide between this and the marzen, my word of advice would be to stick with this if you like more malt and less meat and go with the marzen for more meat and less malt.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

This is probably my new favorite beer. I tried this at my local beer store at a tasteing. The smell is sooooo magnificent. If you wanna know what it smells like, go to a deli or cook something on the grill. The taste is just as good. The biggest suprise of this beer, was it's magnetism at a sorority party I went to last night. Seemed like every 5 seconds, some chick was asking me if they could "taste my smoke beer". I let a few have it and they were hooked. Maybe this could be the next beer at the college parties? Maybe not. You can get a 12pack of natty for $5 and this stuff is $3 a bottle. Oh well, we can all dream... can't we?

4.02/5  rDev -2.9%

Originally sampled on 26 June 2002. This beer has the beautiful aroma of the best deli you've ever been in. It's the perfect accompanyment to sausages & smoked meat. Very unique. Either you'll really like it, or you'll pour it down the drain. This is definitely not for everyone, but that just means more for me.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Dark brown color. Medium white foamy head. Aroma is smoked gouda. It sort of like drinking a liquid glass of smoked gouda wrapped around a rasher of bacon. The initial smokiness is somewhat overwhelming, but after the first few sips it settles down into a smoky malty beer. The smokiness is well balanced by the maltyness. Nice beer, if you don't like smoke, don;t bother with this beer, but if you do try this one. World class. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is smoky and slightly bitter.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is the third Aecht Schlenkerla I've tried and probably the mildest and most balanced of the trio. Same smoky presence as its brothers but perhaps a little less powerful. Nice brown color with thin but dense tan head. Tastes on the sweet side but a terrific balance overall.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Wow, what an interesting beer!

This one poured out a cherry/amber color with a large dense head. The aroma was like… well, like a campfire in a bottle.
Very strong smokiness with a charred wood smell.

The taste was similar but I also was picking up some sour fruit flavors and a nice dry hop bitterness. Medium to full bodied with a dry finish. Ultra flavorful. This is a nice treat to enjoy once in awhile or to have with a steak.

3.99/5  rDev -3.6%

The fire alarm in my Apartment sounded as soon as I opened the bottle, I placed a hand over the bottle top and fought hard to prevent the spraying water from the activated sprinklers entering my beer. As I waved goodbye to the Fire Engines, I retired to finish the beer. Whooaahhhh……….

The first Rauch Bier that I have reviewed, and I am looking forward to it immensely.

A deep clear chestnut brown body that has a tanned head that sits atop this offering. Carbonation is high at first and adds to the uneven large bubbled head, but this soon dissipates.

Aromas are very intense. No punches pulled here. When I lived in England, there was a local High-Class Family Butchers that prepared their own smoked sausages. The nose from this beer reminded me so much of the shop smell from the many offerings of home-made smoked Sausages that all dangled from the hanging racks at the back of their Butchers Shop.

Tastes also place me in this Butchers Shop. Some of the smoked sausages I bought here were incredibly salty and dry. This beer also reflects that characteristic. Starts with a slowly burnt oak-wood smoky ember characteristic that then introduces the palate to a light brick charcoal astringent salty essence that pleases. Burnt but not scorched. Nice. The middle has a slight sweetness that is soon dampened by the long dry smoky finish. Overall a unique beer style that is probably fair to say is drunk occasional, rather than often.

Quite an extraordinary beer nonetheless – flame grilled by medieval dragons no doubt.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Re-reviewed in October 2004

Clear but dense, brown in hue with ruby hints. Off white head if not beige in color, the foam reached one finger in height. Healthy head retention, a foamy collar lasted for the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was spotty. Huge smokiness in the nose, it is the biggest of all the Aecht Schlenkerla beers. Smoldering wood and hints of chocolate malt construct the main aromas, but that sausage cooking on a campfire can’t be ignored. Fatty bacon, yummy! Ham, awesome! Damn I love smelling this beer, big potency. Very inviting. The palate is bold but articulate, smoky with roasty-char. Standard maltiness is a noticeable underlying quality, and almost hidden, is some sweetness. By the finish the beer becomes meaty, mainly ham, bacon, and sausage… all cooked on an open campfire. The more I drink this beer the more subtle flavors emerge, juicy malt and even some well place astringency that seems perfectly placed alongside the smoke. I can’t believe there could be a better Rauchbier! Medium-full in bodied, modestly low but natural carbonation, kind of slick on the tongue but pleasant overall. It is very drinkable, I love this damn thing, and it is one of my favorite beers. I can buy them in both Kansas City and Iowa City, and I do whenever I can.

This beer begs to be paired with cheese and meat. I love cooking with it too.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

16 oz. bottle. Murky brown color, tannish bubbly head. Dense, foamy head didn't stay long. Charcoal and smoky aromas ease into your nose. Not overwhelming at all. Smooth smoked wood smell just like the Marzen from this style. Taste is more harsh and acidic, not as smooth. The sourness is more pronounced. Big smoky presence all the way through. Slight stirring of the glass revives the head, and releases some smoked wood smells again. Smoky taste lingers more in this one. Hot aftertaste and burbs that could melt butter from this one. A decent beer once a year or so, the other one was much more smooth. Not a beer to guzzle.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Dark ruby, with a thick rocky tan head, medium diminishing and leaving decent lace. Aroma is that of a smoke house - smokey sweet bbq sauce. Flavor follows the aroma, with a sweet smokiness that coats the tongue. Carbonation is hardly noticeable, but the smoke taste lasts long after you are done with the last sip.
My first smoked beer, I think I will have to look for more in this style.
Loses points for drinkability, as I don't think I would want more than one in a sitting.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer was poured into the glass a simple medium brown color until it was held to the light, then the ruby red showed through. The head was brown/beige in color, and the lace slid down the glass almost the whole way to the finish. The aroma was of leather and smoke, like a smoked ham or salmon, that is it. The taste was nice, it had flavors of smoke, charcoal and some slight fruit all the way through it. Some malt caramel did take place in my mouth but was overshadowed by the smoke. At the end the only flavor I said to a guy next to me at the bar was “beef jerky” It tasted like a good/great beef jerky. I liked it, it was a good finish to a nice session of drinking fine beer. The flavor lasted in my mouth till I got to my car. Not an everyday beer, but worth getting when available.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

The pour a murky garnet to almost brown color, the head dinosauric in size, the texture frothy and as it decays, leaves behind large sheets of fine lace. "Smoky to the MAX!" and I like it, hints of malt and caramel sweet, a real treat to the nose as well as the palate. Start is ambrosial, the top middling in its feel. Perkily acidic and the hops masterful and pleasant in their bite, very dry and somewhat sweet aftertaste, if you like “Smoked” beers, this is a must try.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

A very complex beer. Intense smokiness, at times the flavor inspires me, but sometimes it is just too smoky, I am a newcomer to this style, and it is a big sort of flavor, the smokiness dominates the smell, and aftertaste. Perhaps I am reviewing this too hastilly. It is a great beer, but I am not completely used to the intensity of this smokiness and at times it crowds my ability to taste other flavors. I will re-evaluate this beer on a periodic basis as I become accustomed to the style.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

1 pint, 9 fl. oz. bottle. Ruby to brown colored in appearance. Before I even drink the beer, the aroma is smoke filled. It reminds me of smoked salmon or smoked cheese. First sip - wow! Smoked gouda definitely, charcoal. Some sweetness present, roasted flavor. A slight bitter aftertaste. You would have a tough time chug-a-lugging this beer. Hard to rate because it so unique. Choose when you're looking for a change and want something different. I just checked out the website they list on the bottle and saw that they sell 5 liter party kegs of this stuff in Germany.

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

"Rauch" translates to "smoke", and this beer is brewed soley from 100% Beechwood- smoked malt! It’s one of the most unique, and aggressively flavored beers available, and is probably an acquired taste for most people. Anyone who believes that all German beers are the same need only smell this one to have that notion decimated.

The body appears clear through a very deep mahogany-brown color. The creamy ivory head holds quite well and leaves some nice lace. The aroma is of rich Beechwood smoke. The body is full with a gentle carbonation, giving it a very creamy mouthfeel. The flavor is richly malty upfront with a lot of sweet caramel and toffee (and even a touch of chocolate?), then backed by a good dose of bitterness as it heads towards the swallow. It finishes dry with a solid bitterness and a lingering smoke character. Unlike some of the other Schlenkerla beers, the Urbock can build on the palate with its big malt, dense bitterness, and intense smoky character. Still, the smoke is so well balanced against the rich malt & hop that it never really takes center stage. This is not a quaffing beer, rather, it should be enjoyed leisurely. Absolutely worth trying. Exceptional.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

"You either love this style of beer, or you hate it". (*wink, wink, Inebrius).

If the marzen was Tommy Chong, than this is Cheech. The fuller, more rounded, and generally more likeable partner. Don't get me wrong, the marzen was great as well. This is just legendary.
Lucious deep garnet in color. Medium beige head has some stick to it.
Lovely smoky aroma. Meaty, woody and just sultry. Seems a little more subdued than the marzen, but probably because there are more aromas to contend with. Malty bock notes are noticed, with fruity and chocolate hues.
What truly stands out in the taste is how well crafted of a bock this is. Smoke aside, this would stand by itself as a great example. Large amounts of dark fruit (plum, prune) sweetness, with maybe a touch of sweet apple. Chocolate is a big time player here as well. Smoke integrates wonderfully, and never overpowers, it just adds some autumnal, woody, campfire notes.
Velveteen mouthfeel. It skates across the tounge. Low, but steady carbonation ensures the silkiness lasts the duration.
Probably the most drinkable rauch (or smoked beer) I've had. It is as easy to guzzle as it is to savor.
Udderly delightful.