Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,331
3.7/5  rDev -10.4%

(Served in a dimple mug)

A-This beer pours a deep shoe-polish brown with a crystal clear body and rocky light tan head. Gentle carbonation.

S- The smoke flavor is woody with a faint bacon note. Hints of sweet toasted malt play a supporting role with not real hop smell.

T- This beer has a big smoked salmon flavor with a long lasting but not over powering smokiness. The smoke is however the main flavor with faint toasted malt flavors in the background. It has a pretty dry finish with a slight tanginess.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with no alcohol warmth or astringency.

D- This is a very interesting beer. It think this is one of the most intense smoked beers I've had. The bock characteristics are missing or at least overshadowed by the smoke. Nice to sip but not a session beer.

4.95/5  rDev +19.9%

Presentation: 16.9 fl oz bottle - no freshness date

Appearance: Dark brown but not opaque with thick tan head that laced nicely.

Smell: Wow is the aroma smoky. Malt aroma tries to come through as well but is dominated by the smoke.

Taste: Right away the smoky flavor comes through. Smoky flavor is meaty, charcoal and wood like. A little malt sweetness peeks its way through as well.

Mouth Feel: Moderate carbonation and slightly syrupy.

Drinkability: Perfect. Its like, I can't believe these flavors, let me have another, and another.

Comments: I am totally blown away by this beer. Totally bold, over the top, and it doesn't pull its punches. The flavors are incredible. I do not want to have this with food because I don't want to disturb the flavors. Heck, this IS food. I can drink this all day and night.

4.45/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a deep burgandy color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is awesome. It has an intense smokey aroma that is complimented with crystal and roasted malts. The taste is awesome as well. It has a smooth creamy flavor that boasts of crystal, chocolate, and peated malts. This is one tastey beer. It goes down easy and finishes slightly sweet with that dry smokiness. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I love the aroma and the taste; a great sessions beer.

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours nicely, a dark garnet highlighted color, clear, with a fluffy cloud-like head of over an inch. Nice laces, fairly thick on one side of the glass. Whew, meaty, salty aromas, slight fruitwood. Mouthfeel is airy and fluffy, light with restrained carbonation. A brief sense of caramel maltiness and a bit of nuttiness, and then comes the overpowering rich fireplace of smoked sensations, tangy and beefy, pickled antelope sausage, jerky with leather and oak chips. Scorched earth bitter finish. Just well-done, I really like the monster flavors with the cotton candy light-bodied mouthfeel -- its a cool-as-friggin'-hell combination that floats like the smoke from a mid summer fire pit at the campground. These Schlenkeria beers are hellaciously smoked beers! As usual with Rauchbiers, I do have a problem drinking more than one.

1.82/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

07/16/05- Purchased at a Sonoma wine shop in Sonoma, CA

Presentation- 16.9oz bottle with no dating. Poured into a 24oz glass mug.

Appearance- Black pour with a small 1/2 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Cured bacon. Make that burnt cured bacon. Very undesireable scent for me.

Taste- The scent does not lie. Basically a cocktail of liquid smoke, charcoal and bacon that has been marinated in sea salt and salt in a frying pan on high for a whole day.

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel was perfectly fine. Lower carbonation and an easy swallow.

Drinkability- Well, this was my last attempt ever I think at a Rauchbier. I wanted to go out in good fashion by trying a highly rated one. This proves that Rauchbiers or smoked beers are not my cup of tea. I wanted to give it good makrs, because you are supposed to rate accoring to style, which this one hits dead on. But I just can't. If you like smoked beers, go for it, it's all yours. An aquired taste to be sure.

3.87/5  rDev -6.3%

Cola colored when poured, with some garnet highlights. Frothy head yields some pleasant smoke shed aromas. I enjoyed the full chewy mouthfeel. Smooth cool malt ends in tingly smokiness. At 6.6 abv, this is one to not go bonkers on, but if you do, it wasn't so hot that you be in pain later. The style is one that grows on you. I think for me though , one glass or half is enough.

4.09/5  rDev -1%

Mid sized bottle w/o freshness dating. Pours a deep, rich shade of dark honey maple, tan head, minimal lacing observed from my sample. Nose is clearly and boldly the expected and yearned for smoke. Big and flavorful brew. Smokey, oily, greasy- ahhh, all the best qualities in a beer! I'm sure this style is not for everybody, but I enjoyed a bottle, with some BBQ chicken, would be great with most types of BBQ fare. Fine quality brew, great with meats and hearty foods.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance: rich black walnut, very thin dingey white head

Smell: meaty smoked malts, some tangy copper metallic notes, and just a little sweetness at the end of the whiff

Taste: smoked malts take center stage, very meaty with a little burnt, acrid flavor in the finish; some malty sweetness and a little hop presence that adds a bit of spice

Mouthfeel: very thin with very little noticeable carbonation

Although the smoke is the dominant character, it is a little more subdued than the marzen. This actually falls somewhere between the marzen and weizen.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer kicks ass. The Germans know how to brew a mean ass Rauchbier. Pours out to a dark amber color with a nice dense cloud like tan/cream head. Aroma is very smoke-like, as can be expected. Also noted were elements of rich, roasted malts and an earthy overtone. One can tell that this is a serious brew, for the true beer lover. Flavor is badass, with tones of smoke, herbs, and a slight sweetness. Nearly perfectly balanced. Finished with an almost tangy note of smoke that seemed slighly salty. A truely amazing beer. Very drinkable as well. Highly recommended.

3.88/5  rDev -6.1%

Served in a pint glass at cellar temperature.

A: 1-2" pillowy head is vaguely reminiscent of a Guinness in the way it settles. Dark cola in color. Beautiful structure in the head's tiny bubbles. This is a sharp looking beer.

S: Hello campfire! I love camping, so this is a great thing... also reminiscent of Seltzer's Lebanon Baloney (check out http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com/ if you are unfamiliar). Smells like the burnt end of a rack of ribs. Dark black strap molasses minus the sweetness (which rears its head in the taste).

T: First thing in the mouth is a molasses-like sweetness that you'd get from taking some hickory barbecue sauce and leaving it over an open fire until it completely caramelizes into a sweet, dark, thick residue. In the middle you get that taste of a just-extinguished pinewood fire and Lebanon Bologna, but not powerful enough to overtake the aforementioned sweetness. The finish leaves you with remnants of the smoke. This is a full-tilt beer that's not afraid to be what it is.

M: Nothing overly exciting, but a nice mouthfeel.

D: Definitely not a beer for session drinking due to it's nature, but for the style, it drinks nicely.

Having this beer is an experience, not simply having a drink, and it definitely is not for everyone. As for me? Well, I think it's a very nicely crafted brew.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz with no dates into a mug.

Dark brown that is slightly red around the edges. Decent tan head that leaves some lace as it goes down.

A slightly tangy smoke dominates the nose. Smells like my neighbors mini smoke house. Meaty and mouth watering.

Smoked malts make up most of the taste. There's a slight hop note in the middle, but its all smoke into a smoky lingering finish that has a dryness from the hops. While the smoke dominates the nose and taste, its not unbalanced or in any way over the line.

The mouthfeel is medium which helps make this a good food beer. Does a great job of washing down the smoked salmon and cheeses I'm pairing this one with.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

Nearly clear mahogany appearance, sturdy, lasting, creamy foam on top.
Aroma wafts around the atmosphere on first cracking the crown and pouring the brew...smoke and meat, and all those associations...smoked salmon and sausage...a beefy nose, yes, indeed. Rich and invigorating.
Taste: full, massive, muscle-y...like drinking meat! Weird, eh? But, a refreshing change of pace on the palate... the smoke never abates, and I can remember the tinfoil around the fish, from when my dad smoked his salmon...brings back memories...rich and tangy on the tongue...the bock that lies underneath adds to the tastiness of this brew, which cannot be denied.
Extraordinarily unique...a malty thing, dominated by the smoke and it's tenacious associations....

4.82/5  rDev +16.7%

This is my first Rauchbier and all I can say is WOW! This is one interesting beer. When poured it appears a dark murky brown. Very much like a dark doppelbock. It's tan head quickly dissipates and leaves a sticky rim that leaves a lot of lace on my glass. The aroma is very rich and malty and the smoke... I love the smoky aroma. The taste is smooth an malty and dominated by the smoky malt. When I say smoky I mean a smokiness that is almost mind blowing. I am in love with this brew and consider it a must to have around.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours the color of newly varnished mahogany and smells like a freshly opened can of Blue Diamond almonds...the BBQ style. The nose is communicated through a tight, almost creamy full-finger collar of foam which leaves a dense lace in its wake.

Entry consists of a snoot full of soot as the smoky aroma attacks the olfactory. Mid-taste, if concentrated upon, sports a doppel-like dose of roasted malt centered on the rear of the tongue supported by low-lying carbonation. I found this taste by exhaling as I siped in an effort to keep my sense of taste from being blown away by this German version of Liquid Smoke™.

Continuing to exhale as I sipped provided a glimpse of hop bitterness before I became overcome (again) by smoke as this delectable Urbock fades away like a campfire slowly dying out in the wee hours of the morning. The residual taste in my mouth is almonds...the BBQ ones...I swear.

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured out a nice dark amber color, but not as dark as i thought it would be. i can clearly see through it for the color.

Smells are smokey and have a sweet smell, like a teriyake sauce being cooked on a wood bbq.

Taste is smokey, but not as smokey as i would have thought. taste is sweet too. i would say all in all the aroma and the taste are very equal and balanced.

The mouthfeel is almost full, but not quite full, in my opinion. but there's nothing wrong with it by any means.

Overall i say this one is extremely drinkable. from some reviews i have read, it seemed like people said its wither good or bad. i say this one is one to try, and i love it. i think its one i could drink all day long.

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

1 pt. 9 fl. oz bottle. Pours out a clear dark amber color. Big smoke aroma, like smoked salmon and smoked ham. The first time I had this beer, I thought the smell was nasty and out of place in a beer, but I have come to enjoy it. That same smoke aroma is also found in the flavor, along with a big maltiness. These flavors complement each other beautifully. No hop flavor. Drinking one of these is great, but I wouldn't call this beer drinkable. Goes well with grilled meat.

4.42/5  rDev +7%

I have been warming to the smoked beers more and more in the past year. I may even have to brew one myself. This beer poured a rubied dark brown color wtih a lack of head. The nose is big smoke. It smells like jerkey or smoked meat to me. Very intense and full. The Flavor is very much what the nose gave me. The smoke is so big, it is hard to get the nuances of the beer underneat the smoke. I really like it. Wow. The feel is a light moderate with a light carbonation. I really like the big smokyness in the beer. I have now had this beer 3 times and it gets better each and every time.

4.07/5  rDev -1.5%

Dark caramel in body with orange hues around the edges. Head was nearly white and settled somewhat quickly. A couple of floaties where seen doing what they do best…floating around. I was skeptical about the ability for a beer to really smell like smoke. I was expecting some heavily toasted malt flavor, but low and behold this really does smell like smoke. There is quite a distinct hickory and oak wood smoke to this and reminds me of some of the local barbeque pits I have around home. Additionally there is a quite recognizable sweet malt aroma which is highlighted by some dark fruit essences. The taste is quite unique and immediately biting on the tongue which covers up some of the initial flavors. Regardless of that I detect essences of the ripe dark fruit which was in the aroma and only some subtle flavors of backwoods campfire. The smoke flavor doesn’t come through in the main body of this beer but towards the finish after the biting sensation has all but passed. Good flavor overall but I was expecting a bit more in the smoke in the flavor department. Mouthfeel is very heavy and it definitely feels that way in my stomach. The extremely heavy mouthfeel brings the drinkability down a bit. This is definitely a beer to try due to its uniqueness.

Whoa!

This a beer that was born for barbecue...heck it is good 'cue on its own.

The smell of hardwood smoke hits the nostrils shortly after the crown cap is removed.

Pours a gorgeous dark mahogany with ruby highlights when held to the light. Thick creamy tan head fades to persistent thick collar that lasts the time it takes you to drink this Bamberg speciality.

Taste is smoky sweet with a short bitter hop finish. Memories of Arthur Bryant's Ribs, Smokestack's beans, Little Jakes Sausage and Wyandott's Burnt Ends with extra crisp fries. Heaven. Living High in the Hog (or the Steer).

Sticks to the tongue and floods the mouth and nose with the aroma of beech smoke and caramel malts. I logged into Chuck Haddox and the Fish Fry (KCUR FM on the Net) to savor this brew with Blues and Zydeco to complete the repast. A beer such as this deserves to be paired with a feast of smoked meats, slaw, corn bread and good sour pickles.

Makes me want to walk downtown and see the "man" at the "Memphis Pig Out" here in Atlantic Highlands. Yes we have some damn fine ribs and pulled park here in the Atlantic Highlands Y'all come by now..

In the right mood and with the right food this brew is awesome! I will buy this again and again.

4.74/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Mahogany with a deep, burnt orange hue. Active carbonation. Loose tan head with fair retention. Collar throughout. No lace.

Smell: Booming, massive, amazing aroma of wood smoke and cured meat. Thick, sweet, slightly tangy malt comes to the fore as the smoke clears. If everything smelled like this, the world would be a better place.

Taste/Mouthfeel: In a word, fantastic. The mouthfeel is pretty light, but still manages to be a bit chewy. Starts with a sweet mouthful of malt, with perhaps a hint of unsweetened chocolate. This, not surprisingly, is soon overtaken by a dee-licious flavor of smoked meat and fragrant, sweet wood smoke. Finish intermingles flavors into a mouthwatering mouthful of Carolina honey-smoked ribmeat. Slight bitterness lingers.

Drinkability: Perfect--if you're in the mood for a smoky flavor. Probably a bit much as a session, but light, huge flavor, great mouthfeel and so, so satisfying. A meal and a drink beside a nice fire--in a glass.

Note: I also sampled their marzen. While slightly lighter and a bit less sweet overall, the two taste so similar I saw no reason to review it. Either will do nicely.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%

Unique! Points for style for this one. This beer is grand; I love its esoteric nature.

I had a bottle of this at Spuyten Duyvil (where else?). My sample poured a deep red; almost mahogany. The head was impressive -foamy and clung to the side of the glass.

The aroma? Definitely smelled the beechwood, but other aromas were evident as well. Got deep caramels and melanoidins from a decotion mash?... Definitely a complex brew, not too much hops though...

Taste? Like no other. Smoke, smoke, and more smoke. I could actually feel the essence of the beechwood bellowing up inside. Pretty divine...

The mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied, slightly chewy and viscous. I think this beer would age well.

Overall, a drinkable brew, but I think I would have to set my limit as one or two 20oz. brews in a sitting.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

Has a Smokey barbecue aroma, with a smooth mouthfeel. I tasted almonds and subtle hops. After trying the Weizen first I was thought that the Urbock would follow suit and be disappointing. Well, I wasn't greatly impressed. I did find this brew to be much smoother and less aggressive in terms of that Smokey flavor. This would go well with a burger or barbecue

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%

This is one great looking brew.... Clear Mahogany with rising bubbles and a head that appears "alive". Both big and small bubbles and what appears to be a layer a grease on the head. Smoked pork heavy in the aroma, yum!! The taste is a great mix here. There is sweet caramel maltiness, charcoal smokiness, and and nice dose of salty bacon fat to finish things off. Very big on taste here. Mouthfeel is good, but the carbonation sometimes gets in the way of the taste i'm longing for. Drinkablity - Not very drinkable to be honest, but a great beer nonetheless.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

1 pt. 09 FL. OZ.

Appearance – clear and dense ruby; head is off-white, creamy and chunky; lace is artistic in its prominence and strength

Smell – hickory smoked beef jerky; light cheese

Taste – the smell gives one a great idea of what to expect with the hickory smoked beef jerky and light cheese flavors playing lead roles; dominant malt flavor; late its a bit roasty with caramel and of course smoke

Mouthfeel & Drinkability – medium bodied; light carbonation; malts create a very smooth passage; ends a bit dry

I wasn’t sure what to expect since this was my first rauchbier but it was surely a pleasant experience. There will certainly be a return trip to Brauerei Heller-Trum's products.

4.17/5  rDev +1%

Smoke beers are not always my thing, and I wanted to drink this with a good food pairing, so tonight is the night. Pours out with little carbonation, a murky beechwood color. Rich, malty chocolate aroma with hints of charcoal and smoked pork.

Flavor is light on the smoke, which is just right. Smoke beers that taste like cigarettes and burnt meat or too overdone. This one is extremely well balanced between sweet malts, dark fruits, a clove spiciness and roasted game. If I didn't pour this myself from the bottle I would have sworn it was from the cask. Great smooth mouthfeel with only mild carbonation. Exceptionally well done.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla