Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,385 |  Reviews: 709

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

500ml bottle 6,5% Abv
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.

Appearance: The beer looks dark brown/black in the glass, but a back light reveals it to be a beautiful dark red. The head is a good size, beige in colour, lasts pretty well and leaves some good lace on the way down.

Smell: Ah, the beauty of Bamberg malt! Tons of smokey bacon and/or smoke trout, campfire smoke, Black-forest ham, very meaty, a touch of salt and an underlying malty sweetness.

Taste: The flavour is a little lighter on the smoke than the nose and allows some of the base notes to come through. That said bacon smoke still dominates with some campfire, wood, a fair amount of sweet dark fruits and some roasted malt. The finish is pleasantly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a fairly high level of super smooth carbonation. A pleasure to drink, I could just gulp this down.

Overall: Not quite as good as their Eiche, but still a great Rauchbier. I really wish I could get beers from Schlenkerla
locally, they would become a staple!

3.6/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- Dark but not black. Kind of looks like thin swamp water I guess but thats what I was expecting.

Smell- Smells like a campfire. Such a potent, potent campfire smell.

Taste- Same as the smell with a little bit of malty sweetness way underneath. I was shocked at how much this beer tastes (and smells) like a campfire, straight up.

Mouthfeel- Medium to full bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall- Glad I tried it. Before this I had never had a Rauchbier and always wanted to try one. I prob wouldnt spend the money on this one again but its one Id reccomend having under your belt.

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

500 ml bottle from the trip to Las Vegas past November. Poured into my beer goblet.

Appearance: A nice solid brown beer with a few particulates floating if held to the the light. The constant stream of carbonation bubbles make this one a lively beer with a constant thin film of a head. No lacing to speak of.

Smell: The dominant smell is smoke like a nice campfire. The smoke truly smells "woody." The malty sweetness caries through, as well.

Taste: The taste is a complex mixture of smoke and malts as well. The smoke does not dominate, like in the smell. This one is actually pretty balanced (for a rauchbier). Smoke at first, sweetness in the middle, and finishing with a kind of bittersweet note. A "woody", not barrel, taste is noticeable and pleasant.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is softer than I thought it would be and the body is middling.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer, as I can get a few smoke beers here in SLC, but not many. The smoke beer style is a take it or leave it for a most people, I would think. If you have an adventurous friend they may enjoy sharing this beer. I do enjoy the style, although one is enough.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a pint bottle into a wili glass

Pours brown with a long cascade effect. Thick and brooding tan colored head. Looks like a puffed up pillow sitting atop the glass. Fantastic retention.

Smells like a bonfire on a cool fall evening. Smokey and woody aromas. Hints of smoked ham as well. Finishes with a blast of sweet malt.

Tastes just like it smells. Smoked ham, bacon and firewood flavors. Extremely malty with no hop presence. Finishes smoky and sweet. This is darn tasty.

Full bodied, smooth mouthfeel. The creaminess took me by surprise. Nicely carbonated. It goes down quite easy.

A first rate rauchbier. This is what all other smoke beers should aspire to. Smokey and smooth with loads of sweet malt. I really enjoyed the smoke meat presence. Well worth seeking out if you enjoy smoke beers or are just looking for a change of pace.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

6.5% ABV per the label.

Pours a crystal clear dark brown with a 2 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Thin clumps and streaks of lace cling to the glass on the drink down. Smell is all about the smoke but in a more subtle was than the Marzen: smoked meat, smoked cheese, campfire, etc. I am getting a slight whiff of malt if I search for it. Taste is also of the aforementioned smoked items with a nice sweet malt that supports everything. The smoke flavors aren't as powerful in the aftertaste compared to the Marzen, leaving more of a sweet and subtle roast flavor. This beer has a nice mouthfeel with a solid body and a crisp amount of carbonation. Overall, this is a very good rauchbier and hands down my favorite of the Schlenkerla beers I have tried thus far.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%

a - wonderful looking brown

s - smells like a bonfire (but in a good way) and pork on the barbecue

t - tastes like how its smells with a hint of a berry of some sort.

m - not as thick as a stout, but a good medium bodied feel

o - i think this beer would be a great pairing at a barbecue, but it also does very well on its own. I was a little apprehensive when I first smelled it, but it tastes pretty damn good.

4.75/5  rDev +15%

3.61/5  rDev -12.6%

A - Black. Hints of brown. Fine head.

S - Smoke. Wet campfire.

T - Up front smoke. But in the background lies sweet malt, toffee, burnt toast, and a moderately spicy bitterness.

M - Very dry. Moderate bitterness.

O - This was a very unique beer. I loved how overpowering the smoke was, but beneath it was a the complexity of a bock. might drink again.

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Aroma
Smokiness coming through when initially poured, but over time I'm picking up some other scents. Some caramel, maybe even chocolate off the malt and a bit of grassiness off the hops

Mouthfeel
Medium to lower carbonation, a bit of weight on the palette and some bitterness that's noticeable on the finish

Appearance
Dark amber/burghandy in appearance poured to a nice off white head and is lacing fairly well as it goes.

Taste
Vibrant smokiness but not overshadowing the other aspects. I continue to get a bit of the caramel taste that I smelled and a firm bitterness to finish. Maybe some copperiness in the taste, but could be due to storage/age issues.

Drinkability
Pretty drinkable, I'm not sure if much over a liter would be for me though. I think the smoky taste might be a bit cloying after a while. ABV 6.5% is well hidden, didn't realize it was that high until I found it on the label.

Overall
For a bock (not my favorite style) I definitely like this. The smokiness is present but not overpowering and the alcohol is well hidden. I'm not sure I can say this is my favorite of their rauchbiers but this is good and worth having. If you like bock, it might be an interesting take on the style to add some smokiness.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla