Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,391 |  Reviews: 714

3.89/5  rDev -6%

500ml bottle, best before february 2012

A- Very dark brown with lots of ruby hints. Very little head forms even if hard pouring and it disappears immediately. Looks quite lifeless

S- Bready and caramel malts among a strong, dense smoked aroma that reminds of burnt wood. A hint of fruitiness on the back of things

T- As the aroma suggested, despite being so strong on the smoked part, malts still play a very important role in this beer. Quite distinct and dense notes of caramel and grainy malts that can be easily felt among a strong, vivid smoked feel, that besides a burnt wood character has a light 'burnt bacon' character, as ianjsullivan pointed in the previous review. A slight hint of dark fruits may also be found. Finishes with a touch of bitter hops that bring a little freshness to the beer's overall feel

M- Medium body, soft carbonation. Nice and simple, nothing too interesting on the mouthfeel part

O- A nice, warming beer; perfect for winter. Decent complexity and suprising drinkability given its strong smokiness

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

ST: 1 pint 9oz poured into a wine glass. The bottle lists the ABV but not a DBD or BOD.

A: Dark brown with red tints and a think brown hot coco foam head which leaves small dotty lacing.

S: Smoke, bacon, sweet malt, wood, and earthy.

T: Sweet malt, smoke, woodiness, char, coffee, burnt bacon, with slight bitterness in the finish.

M: Medium and dry.

O: A very nice camp fire aroma is carried through into the beer. The wood flavor is present but not overpowering; it is pleasant. This is a very enjoyable beer for cold weather.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a giant mug. Pours a chestnut brown with a about two inches of frothy beige head.

Smoke for sure here. Like a woody bacon in the aroma with a bit of fruity esters in the background. I really can't say it enough though, this is just a smoky monster. The taste is just like the aroma, smokey bacon or sausage with a nice woody finish. Hints of apples in the finish.

The body is medium with soft carbonation. Nice lingering flavor.

Overall this is it for rauchbiers. I don't need others, this one will do just fine.

3.67/5  rDev -11.4%

500ml bottle poured into a Pint Glass.

Pours a dark mahogany with thin off-white head that fades quickly. Aromas is of smoke, fairly meaty campfire-forward, with a heavy caramel malt profile. Smoky, but not as much as I hoped/expected. Guessing it's an older bottle. Taste is right in line with the nose, smokey, but not overly so, with a strong caramel malt backbone. Medium-bodied with a smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation. Overall a nice Rauchbier, but I think I need to track down a fresh bottle. I was expecting a smoke-bomb.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

A: Dark brown but a red tint if you look at it carefully. Tan head that only appeared at the very end of the pour. Sticks around as a thin layer though.

S: Getting almost entirely smoke. Very small hint of malt.

T: I'm getting smoked meats first and foremost. Nice rich malty flavor. Good bitter finish. An interplay between the bitter hops and smoke lingers.

M: Nice medium body. Light carbonation.

O: An interesting beer. Jury is still out on how much I enjoy it. Right now I'd put the Alaskan Smoked Porter above it as far as smoked beers go. I will try again though! Definitely with some bbq or cheese

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

A- Poured into a DFH chalice (no mugs or cylindrical glasses in my house)... starts with a small off white head with little retention or lacing. Beer is copper colored, crimson when held up to the light

S- Smells similar and almost as good as the Marzen... Lots of smoked aroma, less like meat and more like campfire. Notes of caramel malts come through to accompany it

T- The smokiness, and lightly hopped, sweet caramel malt taste stay very balanced until the finish where the malts seem to overpower

M- Medium body with light/medium carbonation

O- Not as good as the Marzen, but definitely a close second to it. I'd like to try them side by side sometime as I feel they're very similar with the Marzen being a bit more intense as far as the smokiness

Prost!!

3.97/5  rDev -4.1%

Not much to say here about the look. Looks like a bock with poor head retention….well it doesn’t have much head to begin with. Seems a touch dull but hey it’s beer how long do you look at it?

The nose is smoke. I think there’s a hint of malt at the very finish but basically it is smoke/peat and not much beyond that.

It opens up with a hint of smoke, falls into a deep rich malt full of toffee and deep hearty bread notes. The finish is lingering smokey peat. The key here is to make the malt strong and powerful enough over power the smoke flavors and to then have the smoke finish things off and they nailed it. I’m really enjoying this one a lot.

While the beer may appear a touch dead, it is rather lively. A medium hearty body with plenty of carbonation. There’s no alcohol or at least not enough to bother anyone.

I wouldn’t expect a beer with this much smoke flavor to be so damn drinkable. This glass is vanishing way too fast. I will say that I’d enjoy an imperial version with some chocolate malt to mix with the smoke.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

In a dark bar this would look like a black beer, but held to the light it's deep red tones are more visible. It builds a half-inch, dark cream colored head on the pour that eventually slims down.

As its name suggests, you get smokiness from start to finish. Unreal. The smoke is there in the nose, as is some sweetness. I feel like I'm drinking some BBQ being cooked over a campfire — even more smoke, plus some meatiness as well.

The medium body coats the mouth well, but the carbonation slows down.

I really loved this beer, but this is also my first of its style. And while I've had a wide variety of beers, this one is quite unique.

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

500ml bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a dark ruby. Minimal head that quickly diminishes.

Smells heavily of smoke. Mostly campfire with some bacon. I can't smell any malt.

The taste is all smoke up front but as that fades, a malty sweetness comes through finishing slightly bitter. The smoke is present throughout, however. As I get into the beer, the initial shock of the smoke fades and the beer begins to taste more balanced. A lot more malt becomes apparent.

Overall I think I like this beer better than the marzen. It is a lot more in your face with the smoke and I will definitely seek it out again.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

On Tap at Brewery in Bamberg. Served in Tall glass.

Would pair greatly with intense cheeses and German Sausages.

A- Deep Black, dark Amber as viewed in the light. Slightly lighter than the marzen, two finger head, with mild retention, no lacing.

S- Lots of smoke, toasted malts.

T- Bready with lots of smoke. Slightly dry, bitter aftertaste.

M- Full bodied with medium carbonation.

D- Was a little more impressed by the taste than the Marzen but like it this beer is still heavy; leaving you weighted down and feeling like a meal in itself.

3.11/5  rDev -24.9%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Pours a deep ruby brown with a thick khaki head.

Aroma is a combination of Robitussin cough syrup and root beer. I've had a few Schlenkerla rauchbiers, all of which I've really liked - and this is the first one that doesn't smell good to me. There's this cherry syrup aroma I just can't get past.

Taste also has a medicinal quality, but more of a numbing Chloraseptic taste. I've picked this sensation/taste up in other rauchbiers too, and it has to be a function of the smoke - but it has never been so pronounced. Thankfully the cherry syrup characteristic I picked up in the aroma is diminished in the taste, or I might not be able to finish this.

Otherwise, this beer has a nice brown ale/Märzen sweetness after I get used to the beech smoke - medium body, good mouthfeel. The numbing aspect of the smoke is still a little overpowering. The label says that the Urbock is similar to Schlenkerla's Märzen but has a "higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation" - maybe the smoke is just a little too much for me.

Overall I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and I hate to ding a beer from such a great, unique brewery. But this is definitely not my favorite rauchbier and I can't say I'll be coming back to it. I'm not really enjoying this beer very much.

Note: Given the early responses to this thread http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4151434 I might give this one another shot.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla