Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Ratings: 1,400 |  Reviews: 720
3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Light brown pour out of the bottle, much darker in the glass. Wispy light brown head with nice lacing.

S: Basically the same smokey, meat-like smell is coming from this as the Marzen. Roasted malts all the way.

T: Not quite as full as I wanted it to be. All smoke up front, all malt at the end.

MF: Light, carbonated well. The beer coats the mouth.

O: Forgettable, wouldn't get it again. It isn't bad, just wanted something different from the Marzen.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into an ale glass, big light tan head thats dense and clings to the glass, very nice. Color is brown with amber hints on the edge.

Smell is smooth, deep smoke, i'm not entirely sure of the type but its not intense or burned but pleasant. Mild hints of malt sweetness.

Taste is smoke flavor upfront intergmingled with the maltiness to balance.

Mouthfeel is very good, for something so different and strong on one flavor it is balanced well and slightly dry, slight clinging of flavors to tongue on the finish.

Overall, the smoke is just right and a solid malt balance to clean it up, clean flavors and somewhat dry finish are nice.

I picked this up out of curiosity more than anything because my friend told me that this beer was "bacon in a bottle", and he was right.
I paired this beer with some habanero cheese, cracers, and some kalamata olives.
This is one of those beers that you will either love or hate, there is no middle ground here. I just happen to think they are fantastic! you can totally taste the smokey, meaty flavor that this style of beer is known for.
If drank in moderation, paired with the right cheese and bread/crackers, this could be one of the most enjoyable experiences you could have with beer. I will definately be splitting a bottle of it with my father later this year.

2.94/5  rDev -29%

A-Pours quite dark. Has the look of cola. Big foamy,yet level head slowly fades. Can hear the crackle of the bubbles popping away. Bits of lacing.

S-At first whiff my first thought was 'Oh god it smells like bacon". Behind the smokey meat surprise is some dark maltiness. Salty and mildly sweet. Smoke prevails here.

T-The smokiness is not as overpowering as expected. I am happy that the smoke is a bit mellower. Not as much bacon as in the nose. A more mild flavor. A bunch of dark sweetness. An almost barbeque flavor too. Unique and a bit enjoyable as well.

M-Medium bodied. Smooth with mellow carbonation.

O/D-Definitely a individual style. Worth a try. I just could never see myself craving a rauchbier. Not my style I guess. Couldn't finish.

4.12/5  rDev -0.5%

500ml. bottle at about fridge temp poured into a snifter, split with friends.

pours out a clear, dark brown color with a nice off white colored head, decent retention, a little bit of lace.

lots of smoke and sweet maltiness mingle perfectly in the aroma. mostly smoked turkey and smoked ham come to mind balanced by a nice sweet grainy malt. a slight fruitiness comes in as it warms.

follows the aroma. smoke is at the forefront, but the sweet bock like toasty, grainy malt is right there to even things out. again, many smoked meats come into my head. the balance of smoke to malt couldnt be better.

smooth, medium bodied. easy srinking, even with all the smoke.

a great beer, not something you could drink pint after pint of, but still easy drinking. look forward to more of the schlenkerla offerings.

3.45/5  rDev -16.7%

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 2 inch fluffy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving tight, sticky rings of lacing. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves spots and islands of lacing.

Smell: Smoked meat and light, fresh bread, with some darker malts in the background. Whiskey-like booziness comes out of nowhere and works beautifully with the smoke.

Taste: Subtler than expected from the nose or bottle description. Smooth, creamy feel with subtle maltiness. Lots of smoke in the finish. Some cake-like flavor in the aftertaste. Highish back end bitterness.

Throughout the flavor is subtle with a nice smokiness, but unfortunately the flavor is often a bit muddy. Not really coming together for me. A few sips combine the smoke with a really pleasant pastry sweetness, but usually it's bland malt and relatively uninteresting smokiness. Some dreaded band-aid flavor comes out as well, probably from the larger % of smoked malt used in the beer's production (unpleasant and a little pepperminty; doesn't help anything at all).

The best sips are good, but still kind of one note: sort of empty up front with a nice convergence of smoke, deep malt, and fresh bread on top of the big bitterness hit before the smoky aftertaste. Alcohol is hidden well, but it tastes like most of the flavor was also hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Nice creaminess, but distractingly low carbonation. Bitterness is good to punch up the flavor, but the low carbonation is a serious problem here...

Overall: Not too impressed. Still has some of the allure of a nice Schlenkerla rauchbier, a beautiful aroma, but problems in the flavor and mouthfeel are pretty inexcusable in comparison to how good their other beers are. I used the word 'subtle' a lot, but that may be generosity.

Pairs okay with (veggie) burgers, but even in that context it didn't really sing.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter. My first of the style.

A: Pours a very dark mahogany red with a couple fingers of fluffy dark brown head that took its time receding into a thick film leaving a sheet of lace down the glass as it went.
S: This smells potently of smoked salmon and lapsang souchong tea with a touch of sweet malt beneath the smoke.
T: As with most smoked foods I’ve encountered, the large smoke character on the nose is more subtle on the palate. It’s there in a smoked-salmon-without-the-fish kind of way, especially in the aftertaste, but the base beer is actually rather sweet, malty and spicy. The sweetness is reminiscent of honey.
M: The body is on the thicker side of medium, and the carbonation is bubbly and tingly. Mouthfeel has some good heft to it.
O: I was surprised this didn’t really remind me of smoked meat. Obviously there is no fishiness to the beer, but I just can’t get my uncles fresh smoked salmon with its salty and smoky flavors out of my head. Overall this was enjoyable, and I look forward to seeking out more beers of the style.

4.44/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Nice thick off white head above a very dark copper body.

S - WTF! I have never come across anything like this in a beer. I expected smoky but bloody hell! Ham hock over an open fire is the best way I can describe it. Wish I could go higher than 5 for smell.

T - As with the nose, a sweet charred piece of pork on a barbeque. Rich malts, slightly bitter. A slightly burnt flavour with tarragon and hickory. So good.

M - Bold body and not too creamy. Lightly carbonated.

O - Not a sessionable beer, but perfect to savour over 45 minutes on a cold night. This is only the second rauchbier I have tasted, and it's uniqueness and quality hit me like a mallet. I'll have my eyes peeled for them from now on but this is a tough act to follow.

3.65/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber with a reddish hue. There is just a layer of off white head.

Smell: Quite smokey, just like I expected. A bit like grilling. There is also some mildly sweet malt in there as well.

Taste: Smoke is the dominant flavor. There is a malty backbone and a bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: The smoke wasn't as intense as I expected and the bitterness was stronger. I would have liked a little more smoke and to dial the bitterness down just a bit. Another solid offering from this brewery.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

This was the first smoked beer that I ever got ahold of. The style was new to me so I wasn't sure of what to expect. The beer poured out as a dark brown with a generous amount of head on it. The head settled leaving a touch of lacing on the glass. The smell reminded me of bacon, it's had the smokiness of fresh cooked bacon and that was about all on the nose. The taste of the beer was also smokey and even what I found to be a little salty. The mouthfeel was smooth but the flavors kept the drinkability to a minimum for me. Overall I have to say that for a smoked beer it really has those elements all over it. It's not really my favorite style all that much. It is good for those who like them.

3.94/5  rDev -4.8%

Almost black with ruby hue. Almost white head that quickly fades.

The smell is almost all smoke. BBQ but more of a woody feel.

The taste is a hint of chocolate in the middle with a huge smokiness on the back that lingers for a bit.

the mouthfeel just a tad heavier than I expected but is still fairly light.

As to be expected this beer is amazing to pair with the right foods.

4.14/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Deep, dark brown beer with a beige one finger head.

S - Burning firewood and dried smoked meats hit your nose hard. Very roasty and toasty, salty and smoked. A pure delight for any fans of smokehouses or campfires.

T - A huge, bold mouth of salty, smokey flavors. The brain thinks smoked meat, cured meats, smoked fish, beef jerky and the like. Not only do you taste all this on the palate, it pairs very well with any of these foods. A dry hopped, toasty dry wood finish rounds this beer off.

M - Medium bodied with a clean, dry finish.

O - I had this when i first started drinking beer, and Ive been a fan since. Truly an epic rauchbier. I plan to have some of this in Bamberg soon. If you havent had Rauchbier before, split a bottle with a friend or two (and some meats and cheeses). Its worth the experience.

4.82/5  rDev +16.4%

Bottle purchased from Chan's in Destin and poured into a Willibecher pint glass. Beautiful dark red with a big head that laces wonderfully. I immediately love the smell. Not so much bacon, but to me, smoked brisket. Smooth, malty, nice bitterness, surprisingly drinkable. I was intimidated by this style, but I am so happy to have finally gotten hold of one. Mouthfeel is remarkably lighter than I expected. Slightly oily, not extremely carbonated. Fairly clean and smoky finish and an absolutely delectable aftertaste. I will buy several next time I go to Destin.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Aecht Schlenkerka Rauchbier Urbock

Pours a dark brown, off white head. Aroma is of deep smokey malts, bacon, cured pork, oaky smoke. The flavor is of smoked malt, bacon, alittle caramel and soft tea like hop flavor. Mostly just the astringent smoke. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a long lasting smokey finish. Overall, similar to the Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen, ashy, charcoal, bacony rauch goodness.

4.54/5  rDev +9.7%

My first smoked beer and it was amazing!

It pours a deep amber with a light tan head that has descent retention and lacing.

The smell is a sharp whiff of camp fire, and hickory smoked bacon! My first thought was bacon with an underlying sweet, butterscotch like maltiness and earthy notes of leather and herbs.

The taste is hickory smoked bacon, hamhock, butterscotch and caramel malts, earthy hops lightly compliments some nutty tones. Delicious.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and smooth. Delicious savory sipper.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours deep ruby/brown/amber with a beige head that has some retention. Pretty beer.

Big bacon smoke aroma, but you get a whiff of sweet malt. Very inviting.

I really liked this one. It has some serious depth past the smoke. Peaty smoke and rich toasted malt with some bitterness, some earthiness, and a very slight sweetness poking thru to balance everything. Long smoky finish. Tremendous.

Fuller bodied with some, but not alot, carbonation.

This was a sipper, an I could never do 2 in a row, but this was just great. Took me a long time to get into and appreciate the style. Shows you that you have to keep trying, as I would have missed out on something spectacular.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance: amber-hued body with a thinnish, near white head. decent lacing.

Smell: toasty amber malts, nice smokey aromas

Taste: wow, nice and smokey,and prefectly balanced.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body.

Drinkability: awesome and great for pairing with foods

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Purchased from Whole Foods P St in Washington DC. Poured it up in a pint glass.

Appearance: Lighter than I expected. I suppose considering the smoked nature of the grain I figured there would be a darker color. Head was of dense lacing closest to the beer rising two to three inches ending in larger bubbles.

Smell: Obviously smoke, reminds me of hamhock, sausage, the smell of your clothes after you camp or grill, etc. Some malt characteristics squeeze through but definitely second to the smoke.

Taste: Smoke still dominates on the palate but the beer itself is pretty balanced with more hops up front with an interesting malty-sweet finish. Interesting because it's a "different" kind of sweetness, almost like your sucking on an two-year Werther's Original that's been sitting on your grandmas coffee table for a couple of years. All of this in a somehow pleasing way.

Mouthfeel: Great body, light effervescence; thought the beer was around 8% or 9% until I found the ABV hidden on the back.

Overall: Tough beer to judge and for me definitely more of a "food" beer. The smoke components can wear you out quickly but they are a welcome novelty. Absolutely would recommend with grilled meats - couldn't think of a better pairing than Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock and ribs.

4.72/5  rDev +14%

A: Nice murky brown with some redness to it. Tight beige head that leaves a little bit of lacing. Tiny bubble carbonation that looks to be pretty light.

S: Smoke! Definitely new to me. Reminds me of smoked gouda cheese, with the smoke and oak (or beech apparently?) scent.

T: Smoked meaty taste, slight hoppy character. Cheesy. I don't know if it was because I thought of smoked gouda before or not. A mild sweetness cuts through in the middle, then there is a drying finish. Bitterness grows and the complexity builds on itself over the course of drinking. A lot of malt flavor.

M: Rich and stout. Higher carbonation than it appears to have, but it is superfine. Just the right amount of tingle.

O: This is great! It's a new taste experience for me. Would probably be wonderful with BBQ pork.

Poured into a weizen glass.

Pours darkish brown with a light tan buoyant head. Lacing is substantial but not sticky.

Smells like an Islay single malt scotch. Real smokey and leathery.

Before the smokiness comes through, a sweet malty character is your introduction to this beer. Then comes through the smokey flavors. Really powerful, intense, almost overpowering smokey flavors. Like the kind of barbecue brisket that has the smoke rings around the edges. I could go for some barbecue right now.

Soft mouthfeel, medium bodied beer. The smokiness makes it rather rich - I couldn't see myself downing more than one of these at a time.

Wow, is this the world's first barbecued beer? No, man, it's RAUCH beer. Been around for centuries!

Unique style and enjoyable, though not an everyday beer for me.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

A: poured in to an HB stein, very dark amber. almost no head at all.

S: smoke, leather, and sambuca

T: Bacon, hickory, BBQ.

M: Heavy in the mouth, almost chewy, bubbly carbination.

O: If you love smoked foods, and BBQ what is not to love about this beer.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into New Belgium snifter. Pours dark brown, perhaps a slight shade below what you would expect from a stout. Light tan head that rides up the curves of my snifter.

The smell of this beer is fantastic. It reminds me of the smell of my hoodie after a fall or winter bonfire. Burnt wood and smoke are all over the place, which gives me no clue what to expect taste wise from this beer. Exciting element.

Never had a rauchbier before so i had absolutely no idea what to expect. Beer hits palate like a typical brown before tailing into oak and smokiness. i didn't expect the beer to taste like it smells, but it does, which is awesome. The aftertaste includes some nice hops.

I've been working on trying new beers and this one did not disappoint in the least bit. I could kill some of these on a winter night, fittingly by a bonfire. Aasher just informed me of its smoked ham-like taste, which i can't believe i didnt catch onto.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer was shared with zep9865 during a mini tasting. It poured a dark, dark brown with a one finger off white head that laced the glass. It smells of smoked ham, wood chips, and oak. It's full on ham and is close to Krebs Smoked Porter and the Alaskan Smoked Porter in terms of the nose. The flavor is a little subdued compared to the aromas. It has good flavor and is very heavy on the ham, but subdued compared to other smoked beers that I've had. I do enjoy this one however. It's the lightest smoked beer that I can say that I really like. This is like hog light in a bottle. It drinks between light and medium in body and leaves behind a very ham like aftertaste and is very moist. It's a likable beer and worth a try for sure.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a thin body look, of light red, amber like consistency... with a quick bubbling into a tan head.

The beer smells of roasted, burnt wood, oats, nuts and perhaps dried oak.

The beer tasted like a barbecue in my mouth. Smokey, robust, malty... caramel... burnt, and crisp...

yum

wow, this beer really surpassed my expectations.

I will buy it again.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

A: An auburn brown semi opaque color. light tan head with good retention and lacing tops it off.

S: Scotch barrel. Burnt hot dog and oak chips, this shit is gamey.

T: Smoke and sweet nutty qualities dominate. Bacon fat and burnt bacon at the same time swim inside this glass of peaty liquid. Killer and unique.

M Soft but long lasting