Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier UrbockAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

First tapping every first Thursday of October. A bitter Smokebock for the strongbeer-season (October through December). Matured for weeks in the deep rock-cellar and tapped freshly from the oakwood cask.

Added by taez555 on 08-23-2001

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,334
2.95/5  rDev -28.6%

Overwhelmig aroma of wood fireplace at first, then a smoked sausage aroma. No visible head, and no lacing. Taste is very smoky. Cant really discern any other flavor. Lingers on the palatte. Might work with the proper food pairing. Certainly not a drinkable beer in my opinion. Review numbers wil bear in mind that skoked beer probably is not my favorite.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured into a tulip (the glass of choice this evening). Pours a dark mohogany, deep brown with little light seeping through. smelled like I was stuck in a smoked salmon shack, dark charred wood flavour, smokey. Each drink I cringe a bit but its also somewhat enjoyable. This is not for the faint of heart and should be paired with some hearty rich food. Smoked malts dominate and if there are hops I have yet to find them. Bakers chocolate or similair lace the background. Finishes biting and takes some time to recover.

Its one of those beers to me thats well crafted and well put together but it just doesn't completely work. It's like trying to make smoked cherries. Good beer for the style just not sure this style is good.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

I was quite mixed on this beer. Considering it's my first time having a rauchbier, I was expecting a smoke beer. But this was pure smoke. I think Todd said it right, you either like this type or you don't. Sorry, but I for one don't. Poured out a dark brown color with very little carbonation. Smell. Yikes, all smoke, very little malt. Taste. Like eating a big fat sausage. Call me crazy, but the smoke flavor is a little too big. This beer isn't for my liking.

2.98/5  rDev -27.8%

Has a Smokey barbecue aroma, with a smooth mouthfeel. I tasted almonds and subtle hops. After trying the Weizen first I was thought that the Urbock would follow suit and be disappointing. Well, I wasn't greatly impressed. I did find this brew to be much smoother and less aggressive in terms of that Smokey flavor. This would go well with a burger or barbecue

this was my first smokebeer. it was not as dark as i imagined. i used a goblet & there was no head but i dont know if this is because i poured it slow or not. it took me longer than usual to finish this & determined that smokebeer isnt for me although i didnt hate it. mouth feel was lighter than expected not thick like a stout. this beer would probably go well with something from the charcoal grill. this is also my first review.

3.04/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured into a Moretti chalice

Beer pours a dark brown with light tan head

smells are of malts as well as burnt firewood.

Taste is nice rich malt, slight coffee and hint of chocolate/cocoa. Aftertaste is a heavy dose of the burnt firewood flavor that I mention above.

This was my first foray into the style of smoked beers. The beer wasn't that bad, but the smoke profile was definetly what you would call an acquired taste. Perhaps if that smoke flavor were more subdued, this would have been a more enjoyable experience, but it was too overpowering for me to be enthusiastic about exploring this again anytime soon.

3.06/5  rDev -25.9%

The sweetest of the Aecht beers. The aroma is sweet as well as smokey. The appearance is a deep maroon brown and the head is smaller than the other Aecht beers. The sweet flavor in this one is similar to molasses. The palate could be a bit thicker. Overall this is the best of the Aecht smoke beers but still very smokey.

3.07/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Poured deep ruby and clear. Medium-sized head is creamy and white in color. Aroma is distincively deep and roasted with sweetish smoked ham-like malts, some ash and a hint of hops. Rich flavor is full of smoked, sweetish malts and the finish is medium bitter. Some sourish, coffee-like roastedness in the finish too. Palate is supersmooth and silky, medium bodied and slick. Fuller and more biter than märzen. Can't say this is my style.

3.11/5  rDev -24.7%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Pours a deep ruby brown with a thick khaki head.

Aroma is a combination of Robitussin cough syrup and root beer. I've had a few Schlenkerla rauchbiers, all of which I've really liked - and this is the first one that doesn't smell good to me. There's this cherry syrup aroma I just can't get past.

Taste also has a medicinal quality, but more of a numbing Chloraseptic taste. I've picked this sensation/taste up in other rauchbiers too, and it has to be a function of the smoke - but it has never been so pronounced. Thankfully the cherry syrup characteristic I picked up in the aroma is diminished in the taste, or I might not be able to finish this.

Otherwise, this beer has a nice brown ale/Märzen sweetness after I get used to the beech smoke - medium body, good mouthfeel. The numbing aspect of the smoke is still a little overpowering. The label says that the Urbock is similar to Schlenkerla's Märzen but has a "higher smokemalt concentration and longer maturation" - maybe the smoke is just a little too much for me.

Overall I'm really not sure what to make of this one, and I hate to ding a beer from such a great, unique brewery. But this is definitely not my favorite rauchbier and I can't say I'll be coming back to it. I'm not really enjoying this beer very much.

Note: Given the early responses to this thread http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/4151434 I might give this one another shot.

3.18/5  rDev -23%

A: Deep brown, with red highlights poking through.

S: Smells of burned bonfire. I also smell some cooked meat.

T: I can only pick up in taste similar to what I smell. Deep bonfire, "woodsyness," as well as cooked meats perhaps sausage or brats.

M/D: Seems very light, and would need to be consumed with the right foods. I just couldn't get into this beer. It was somewhat overwhelming in taste and smell. I attribute that to my lack of exposure to this style. I would like to try again, now that I know what to expect.

3.19/5  rDev -22.8%

My first review, but surely not my first beer!

The first words out of my mouth after my first sip were "sh*t, that's smoky." I wholeheartedly stand by that statement.

Pouring into my mug, this beer is dark as hell. I hold it up and can barely see some light coming through. It pours with a decent amount of light-tannish head.

Out of order, I know, but I took that first little sip before I really smelt it to make sure I didn't spill any. The strong, smoky flavor stayed in my mouth. Bacon?

The smell echoes this smokiness. Kinda... pungent.

The taste got better with time and as the beer warmed up a little bit. Hints of something sweet in there. Caramel? The strong aftertaste mellowed out and it became easier to drink without being overpowered. I still can't help but think of oil right out of a pan of bacon or speck mixed in with beer.

I don't think I've had a smokebeer before, so maybe I just wasn't ready for this but I ended up drinking less than half of it.

Still, an interesting drink. I may even try it again way down the road (perhaps after trying less intense smokebeers?). Especially if I had the right cheese and someone to split it with.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Smokie... Smokie. Looks great, smells, smokie. Taste is good, until the after. If you like smokie beers this one is good for you. I don't prefer it so much. Mouthfeel is alright. Drinkability is no so great because of the smoke. Having said all of that, I do have to give props for this unique beer. I would drink it daily but I did give it decent marks because of the difference.

3.23/5  rDev -21.8%

16.9 oz bottle.
6.5% abv.

Glugs out from the bottle a mostly clear ruby-brown. A good sized off-white head sits atop and lasts for quite some time.
Beef jerky, campfire smoke, and charcoal...man, this stuff is smoky...
Like liquid beef jerky, really...very meaty. I'm a red meat guy, through and through, and even worked as a butcher for a stint in high school & college..but this isn't exactly my cup of tea. I enjoyed it, but smoke beers just don't do much for me. Certainly an acquired taste, but I've yet to "get" this style. Maybe someday I'll come around.
As far as the style goes, I would say this is one of the better smoke brews I've had.

3.28/5  rDev -20.6%

Appearance: Dark cola-brown. Fine bubbles form a fine off-white head. Retention isn't great.

Smell: Beef jerky or grilled hot dogs. Peat. Toasted marshmallows. Faint coffee grounds. Reminds me of a campfire.

Taste: Heavy smoky flavor with a sweet foundation. Acidic hop-like bitterness, although I am not certain hops are even used in this style.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light bodied, but creamy enough. Moderately chewable.

Drinkability: I don't like this quite as much as I liked the Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen, which I feel was a little bit more complex. Still, this isn't bad and is great for cooking (thanks to pixel for the awesome barbecue sauce recipe!).

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured dark mahogany/amber with minimal head.

Smells like a fireplace fire. I also got the smell of Skoal chewing tobacco...brings back bad memories when I tried that back in HS and ended up sick as a dog.

Tastes like you would expect, very smoky with a bacon flavor. I had read this in other posts and expected it to be a real heavy beer but it really isn't.

Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Drinkability is very low for me. I'm glad I tried the style but it isn't for me. Based on the taste I'm sure that this is a great representation of the stylye, but again, not for me. Maybe I'll revisit it in a couple years but for now, no thanks.

3.3/5  rDev -20.1%

Ruby to brown. Pretty big head on this one that leaves some decent stringy lacing. Smell and taste are all straight woody smoke. Literally a burning campfire in a bottle that completely overtakes anything else that might be in there. Interesting at first but pretty one-dimensional. This is a taste I only want so much of. Smooth chewy mouthfeel though. Drank with my Thanksgiving turkey. I feel like this really needs to be paired with some big pungent cheeses or charred meat.

3.31/5  rDev -19.9%

Got a great thick light tan head when I poured it. Dark amber brown color ( smokey?). Couldn't get much to tie down on a specific aroma out side of the smoke. I'm sorry I can't help but but describe this as smoked sausage beer. there was some hop bitterness on the finish but I kept looking for bacon floating in the the beer the smokyness is that strong. I guess if you like that flavor in a beer ( very strong ) you might not mind drinking a few. But not I.

3.37/5  rDev -18.4%

This is a familiar one like the marzen brewed by the same people. This one pours out dark ruby, with low head, that does leave lacing

Aroma of smoke with some citrus and some not much of a fruitiness character.

Flavors of smoke with some of what seems to be a bock but it is masked heavily by the smoke. It is clean with some fruitiness and some citrus character. Yet it is hard to distinguish from the smoke.Which is not a bad thing.

Mouthfeel is low carbonation and body, with some lingering smoke character in the aftertaste.

Overall if you do not like smoke beer this is a try, to say you have had, otherwise. If you like smoke beer this is a nice interpretation of one a must have.

3.39/5  rDev -17.9%

I've had a number of Schlenkerla beers before, and this one had a similar salty smoked-sausage flavor that was not unsurprising. Still, this brewery is unique in the world of beer as I know it, nothing else I've had tastes quite like this beer does.

Appearance was a copper-red although it was a bit flat. Aroma was an astringent liquid smoke astringency, and was more of a burning flavor intensity than it was a savory smell. Flavor was coppery and spicy and actually a bit less smoky flavor than I expected. Mouthfeel was a bit flat.

I got this bottle from Discount Liquor in Milwaukee.

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

Great beer, if of course completely DOMINATED by the smoke. With some thought and consideration, other qualities become apparent. Poured with very little head and a tiny bit of lace. Color is an almost opaque dark, aged cherry wood. Aroma is as stated above Smokey and then some malt and that's about it. Flavor's the same with a little malt and dark ripe fruit sweetness. Body is decent and so is carbonation. Finish is pretty much smoke. And then there's the smokiness. Don't notice the alcohol much. Pretty good beer within the narrow class. Not a session beer unless you're a smoke fanatic.

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This is the third Aecht Schlenkerla I've tried and probably the mildest and most balanced of the trio. Same smoky presence as its brothers but perhaps a little less powerful. Nice brown color with thin but dense tan head. Tastes on the sweet side but a terrific balance overall.

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 2 inch fluffy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving tight, sticky rings of lacing. Pours a semi-translucent dark red and leaves spots and islands of lacing.

Smell: Smoked meat and light, fresh bread, with some darker malts in the background. Whiskey-like booziness comes out of nowhere and works beautifully with the smoke.

Taste: Subtler than expected from the nose or bottle description. Smooth, creamy feel with subtle maltiness. Lots of smoke in the finish. Some cake-like flavor in the aftertaste. Highish back end bitterness.

Throughout the flavor is subtle with a nice smokiness, but unfortunately the flavor is often a bit muddy. Not really coming together for me. A few sips combine the smoke with a really pleasant pastry sweetness, but usually it's bland malt and relatively uninteresting smokiness. Some dreaded band-aid flavor comes out as well, probably from the larger % of smoked malt used in the beer's production (unpleasant and a little pepperminty; doesn't help anything at all).

The best sips are good, but still kind of one note: sort of empty up front with a nice convergence of smoke, deep malt, and fresh bread on top of the big bitterness hit before the smoky aftertaste. Alcohol is hidden well, but it tastes like most of the flavor was also hidden.

Mouthfeel: Light side of medium bodied. Nice creaminess, but distractingly low carbonation. Bitterness is good to punch up the flavor, but the low carbonation is a serious problem here...

Overall: Not too impressed. Still has some of the allure of a nice Schlenkerla rauchbier, a beautiful aroma, but problems in the flavor and mouthfeel are pretty inexcusable in comparison to how good their other beers are. I used the word 'subtle' a lot, but that may be generosity.

Pairs okay with (veggie) burgers, but even in that context it didn't really sing.

3.46/5  rDev -16.2%

I mean.. It's the strangest beer ever. It's pure smoked meat on the nose, and the taste is salty, smokey dark German ale. Other tasters mentioned smoked salmon. Very odd.

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%

I'm a fan of this brewery's marzen offering, so was keen to give this more powerful rendition a go. The presentation was near perfect, with a lovely head and a solid dark colour. The smell was the characteristic smoked sausages, and the taste was actually not much different to that of the marzen, but a little heavier and a bit more of a kick. The syrupy quality sometimes found in the Marzen was less obvious here, and overall it was enjoyable.

The only problem was a slight mustiness that is present. Im not sure if that is normal or not.

3.5/5  rDev -15.3%

Bottle. Bacon, salamy, mixed in with grassy, herbal flavours. The bottle i had may have been a bit old, some stale flavours came though, may have been a bit old, still enough flavour to keep me interested. I think i still prefer the weizen and Marzen versions, this is still very nice though.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Urbock from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla