Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

Availability: Spring

The Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer is an unfiltered smokebeer, brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law of 1516. Bottom-fermenting yeast gives the reddish brown lentbeer a natural cloudiness. Its smokey aroma is already noticeable in the smell, combined with a fine hoppy note. In the drink the fullbodied, highly drinkable lentbeer shows its strong malty flavour, rounded up with the smokey taste and a light bitterness. Due to the nourishing yeast, the Original Schlenkerla Lentbeer has the "Brotzeit already included" (German word for afternoon snack).

Added by Bierman9 on 03-25-2005

A - Effervescent, lightly amber. Nice head. Brilliant spectacle.

S - Sweet and smokey goodness all around. Smells like a campfire and roasted meats

T - Nice and smokey. Hearty red meat delivers in full force but is not cloying or overbearingly sweet. Such a phenomenal balance with the malt bill here.

M - Smooth like butter. Drinks so easy. Very appropriate for the style.

O - This is easily the best rauchbier I've had. Their Urbock is so close, yet so far from the level of this brew. I wish this was more easily accessible; I'd buy it all the time!

4.97/5  rDev +16.9%

I've been searching for this beer for years and actually had a chance to try it last year during Philly Beer Week. It was on tap at the Yards brewery during the Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em festival. I arrived an hour after the event began and it was already gone. Curses! I heard that this was on at Bierkraft in Brooklyn so I drove there today to pick up a couple of growlers. I love this brewery and this is the only beer they brew that I haven't had yet. I'm very excited to finally get to try it.

Pours a cloudy, dark copper/mahogany color with dark, golden ruby/orange hues when held to a light source and a two finger soapy, light yellowish-beige head that has excellent retention, only slowly fading into a lasting cap. Sporadic chunks of soapy lacing are left behind.

Another amazing smelling beer from Schlenkerla. Lots of smokey toasted malt with hints of campfire, earthy oak, barbecue and bacon. Although the rauch/smoke notes dominate the nose, it is not one dimensional at all. There are hints of earthy oak, caramel malt, bready yeast and faint hops. Of these later characteristics, the oak and caramel are most prevalent. It's a nice change of pace to be able to smell something other than butane in this style of beer. Don't get me wrong I love smoke bombs but the nose on this beer is very complex and unlike any other beer of the style that I've come across before.

Full bodied which is not surprising for a lent beer but I still wasn't expecting the mouthfeel to be so dense. Nice and smokey yet still well balanced by other flavors making it extremely complex and drinkable. Slightly nutty with lots of toasty malt and bready yeast notes contributing to the full body with a surprisingly strong oak presence and some nice crisp hop bitterness. The hop presence was much more prominent that I had expected and it was a very pleasant surprise. Although these other flavors are present, this beer is still dominated by smoked malt. Lots of smokey campfire flavor with hints of bacon, barbecue, charcoal and burnt toast. As in the nose, there are a lot of different elements contributing to the complexity of this beer. In one sip you get smoke, oak, nut, caramel and bitter dry hops all complimenting each other without anything becoming to overpowering, even the smokiness. Incredibly quaffable and absolutely delicious. Highly recommended!

4.96/5  rDev +16.7%

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

On tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. An incredible smoked beer available for a very short tIme during lent. If you are a smoked beer fan this is a must try. This is so drinkable that even if you are just thinking of trying a smoked beer this is the one to try, you will be hooked as this version is a "gateway" smoked beer. Don't fear the smoke and enjoy!

4.91/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier has a thick, creamy, beige head, a semi-clear, amber appearance, with lots of powdery sediment, throughout, some splotchy lacing left on the glass, and visible bubble streams. Aroma is of smoked turkey or pork with a Busch Signature Copper Lager, under-note. Taste is of sweet, white bread, smoke, smoke, smoke, malt, low-level hop bitterness, and smoke. Mouthfeel is high-light (just like Busch Signature Copper Lager), and Aecht Schlenkerla Fastenbier finishes surprisingly crisp and not surprisingly smoky.

RJT

4.85/5  rDev +14.1%

On-tap at The Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL. I almost passed, because I was underwhelmed by the smoked marzen, but my wonderful wife reasoned with me and convinced me to order it. According to both the restaurant menu and the Schlenkerla website, Fastenbier is available only on tap, only during Lent, and at less than a dozen locations stateside. A once in a lifetime opportunity, it very well could be.

The brew came to me in a large Schlenkerla glass. Held up to the light, it's a deep, clear mahogany with what I can best describe as an incredibly 'crisp' look to it. Two fingers' worth of lightly foamy off-white head, which subsides to a thin film in due course.

The nose is big and smoky, with hints of bacon and other smoked meat. Not unlike sniffing a campfire, or perhaps thick country bacon fried in a cast iron skillet over a campfire. There's some sweet malt that eventually pokes its way through to temper the smoke, but this is most definitely a smoke-forward beer, and a great one at that.

Fastenbier tastes largely like it smells. Wonderfully smoky up-front, but fascinatingly minimal enough. I was dreading a beer that tasted liked liquid smoke, but I was pleasantly surprised by how subtle the smoke was. The smoke is big and flavorful, don't get me wrong, but it manages to be just enough, to stop just short of being overwhelming. Like the nose, there is a great malty backbone that tempers the smoke. This is pleasantly and even surprisingly well balanced, increasingly so as I get to the bottom of the glass.

A pleasingly mouth-coating thickness is cut by the carbonation so that the overall feel is of medium body. Smooth to drink, which I appreciated in a rauchbier. I was really caught off guard by just how drinkable this was. Sipping and tasting while taking notes, and before I knew it it was half gone. The pour was somewhere in the vicinity of 22 oz, and I would gladly have had another if there weren't other beers to try. If I ever again find myself in an establishment with this available, I won't think twice about ordering it.

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%

I’d heard that Schlenkerla is legendary for their Rauchbiers – now I know why. I’ve always liked the style, but this beer took it to the next level. Cloudy red-brown in the pint glass with an off-white head and good retention. The smell absolutely blew me away – like hickory barbecue, like a bonfire, it made me feel I was in a cabin on a snowy night. Thank you Blind Tiger and Schlenkerla!

Is it possible that it tasted even better than it smelled? This is what I wrote down last night before I put my notebook away: “Awesome. Heavy malts balanced by big smoke and slight hop bitterness. Dry finish. Spectacular.”

4.84/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.8/5  rDev +12.9%

Sampled on tap at Dilly Deli in Mariemont, OH.

Appearance: Deep clear amber, tending towards reddish, with a light tan, creamy, short-lived head.

Smell: Dominated by a most delicious smoky aroma. Seemed mellower and more restrained than most rauchbiers. Sweet caramelized malt notes underneath. Hops subdued.

Taste: This was a shocker! Having tried their Marzen and Urbock before, I was expecting a beer dominated by smoky flavors. This is not the case at all though. The hops are huge in this beer, both in bitterness and flavor. The aroma does not prepare you for it at all. The spicy taste of the hops blends beautifully with the mildly sweet maltiness and the smoky undertones. This is a beautifully balanced beer, which I never thought was possible for a Rauchbier.

Mouthfeel: Thick, smooth, and perfectly carbonated. The hops and smoke leave a tingly feeling that is wonderful, like fresh ground pepper.

Drinkability: This is by far the most drinkable Rauchbier I've ever tasted. Usually the smoke gets old halfway through a pint, but after two 12 oz glasses with dinner (a cheddar cheeseburger with onions), I still would have gladly drank more.

Many thanks to the Dilly Deli for procuring one of only 2 kegs brought into Ohio. This was a rare treat that really exceeded my expectations.

4.78/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This pours a muddy amber brown in the glass, with light foaming.
It’s lightly smoked, with a gentle wisp of burnt wood. The beer itself is pleasantly approachable, with a faint smoke note atop a light caramel malt body. I found this wonderfully enjoyable. Loved every sip.

4.77/5  rDev +12.2%

Sample from a growler that was procured from Max's in Baltimore by one fantastic BA. Growler was filled to the rim on Easter Sunday and carefully driven up the east coast during a driving rain storm, carefully packed on ice, sealed with electrical tape, and enjoyed on Easter Monday.

Poured out with a creamy dark tan head that sat ontop of a dark garnet, fading to black body. Initial aromas of classic Schlenkerla beechwood smoke. When it warmed, I dectected slightly fruity aromas peeking through with earthy/spicy hops trying helplessly to be noticed through the cloud of smoke. Creamy mouthfeel exploded with smoke flavors reminiscent of sitting around the campfire roasting marshmellows which lead to sweet caramel and pils malt flavors. Clean middle quickly turns bitter and clean, almost flavorless hop resins coat the tounge, throat, and lips. Each sip loads your mouth with smoke, sugary sweet malt, and squeeky clean hop bitterness in succession that keeps you begging for another sip.

An unbelievable smoked session beer that could replace any food and leave you satisfied. Although it goes great with smoked ham and radishes. I was deeply dissapointed when the growler was finished. Guess I'll have to wait until next year - or brew my own.

4.76/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75