Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Munich Helles Lager

“Schlenkerla Helles” is brewed with fine Bavarian aroma hops from the area around the city of Nürnberg. It's lagered in century old caves underneath the historic Schlenkerla brewery and maltings. Schlenkerla Helles is boiled in the same copper kettles and bottom fermented by the same yeast as the historic Schlenkerla Smokebeer. Its subtle smokiness without using smoke malt makes “Helles Schlenkerla Lager” a unique representative of the classic lager beer style “Bavarian Helles”.

Added by rastaman on 09-29-2003

Liked:
3.95/5
Alströms:

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%

I had this on tap at Deep Ellum, served in a pilsner glass (why?). I loved this beer, it makes me feel like I'm in a Munich beer hall, with smoke. The beer was clear and straw colored, with a good amount of foam. The smell is malty with a hint of smoke (not near as much as the other Brauerei Heller-Trum beers, but just enough of a hint to make it meaningful). I know "German" isn't a good decription of aroma or flavor but it really comes to mind when drinking this beer, it has the feel of authenticity. The taste is nearly perfect for a Helles Lager, malty and sweet but not overly flavored, and spiced up by a touch of smoked wood. Absolutely delicious. The mouthfeel is medium as the style should be, and this is very easy to drink quickly. I want a liter instead of the pilsner glass Deep Ellum gave me.

I recommend this beer strongly to any lover of Helles Lagers or Rauchbiers. It's not a true rauchbier of course, but has just enough to satisfy for this style.

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Interesting taste of subtle smoke paired with lager-style freshness. It's unique to create a rather light lager beer with so much flavor. Compared to the original "Aecht Schlenkerla" this is the best solution because you will be able to enjoy a toned down smoke flavor with a not so heavy beer. It is unfortunate that it costs me $5.99/bottle here in San Francisco, whereas it costs $1 in Germany.

4.76/5  rDev +20.5%

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +19.5%

Served from 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass. Chilled to about 59 degrees, next time I will serve colder.
Very clear gold appearance. Nice big white head, lacing the glass as it dissipated.
I had a difficult time placing the smell. I wanted to say peppery but not, and something like old wood but not in a bad way. I read a few other reviews and immediately identified it as the beech smoke that others suggested. It's intoxicating.
The taste is very clean with a light smoky flavor. I was very surprised by how easy drinking this beer is. The mouthfeel is nice and full with a lingering smokiness.
As I drink through the glass I feel like I keep getting more smoke in the smell, likely from the lacing of the head on the glass. It's much more identifiable as smoke now.
At 4.3% I think this is a fantastic session beer. I raise my glass to taking a chance on a label I've never heard or read about before. What a home run!

4.69/5  rDev +18.7%

The typical 500ML bottle came from one of my favorite breweries on the planet. This is, by far the one brewery I have left on my bucket list.

I was SO CLOSE to Bamburg (30KM) during my trip to Germany in 2002, but I never quite made it there. In any event, I've ru'ed the day. Let's move on.

The pour was so so. A little quaint head, but such a great appearance, I rated it very high. The head might have been better, but the golden clear soft amber begged to be tasted.

The nose on this beer rocks. I know that's not very scientific, so please indulge me for a moment. Faint apple (wood) smoke flavor with undertones of sweet cherry (wood) is forward. It's not ostentatious, but subdued and superb. I'm certain the malts were smoked with this wood. If not, I'll withdraw my membership in BA.

Beyond the nose, tasting this is exceptional. I rated a 4, but only because this is a Helles and somewhat less than the perfect Helles. Since this is my first smoked Helles, I may rescind this next week. Don't be discouraged.

The taste includes a nice malty flavor, contributing to the mouthfeel. Big and clean with a dry finish, I'm loving this. The balanced carbonation and somewhat subdued smoke flavor reveals a beer I'm so glad I finally found this. Although the hops were a bit subdued, hops are NOT the reason to buy this.

Smoke smell, silky smooth taste and feel, and drinkability are awesome. Ii can't imagine how to improve this, but it's possible it may happen.

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This pours a beautiful golden straw color with a thin white head and much carbonation. Great yeast and hop smell with your usuall German twang smell. This may be the best tastin Helles I have ever had. Makes me want to go there and have fresh. Simply awesome!

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

I got a portion to try while in a bar meeting other beer afficionados for a beer trade.

Light coloured, white head.

I found the taste very surprising: a very slight (really tiny) hint of smoke came with it!

I would like to have a full bottle of this, but I have not figured out where to get this in Pennsylvania. The guy giving me the portion bought it in New York state.

This is very drinkable, feels light. Medium carbonation gives a prickly mouthfeel.

4.65/5  rDev +17.7%

A: Pours a transparent, pale golden hue, producing three fingers of bubbly head that actually sticks around for a while leaving some lace behind on its way down (which is quite the opposite of the American/Euro macro lager category). This beer looks damn good.

S: A clean and grainy smell, the pale malt and subtle hopping is very enticing. Even though the style is known to have a much more subdued bouquet, this one is still quite assertive.

T: Starts off with a smooth pale malt introduction, semisweet and a good base for the hops that enter the picture. Very well-hopped, as it straddles the line between too much and not enough... perfectly in the middle for a great bittering flavor. At first, I didn't actually notice the smokiness, as its quite subtle, but I definitely picked up on it in the aftertaste after a few sips.

M: Carbonation is great, and the beer has a wee bit of a heavier body to it than expected, but keeping in mind this is in reference to the helles lager style. I actually enjoy that fact, and furthermore, the hops provide a bit of slickness with a slightly creamy aspect from the carbonation. Great in this category as well.

D: Overall, an insanely drinkable beer. With only 4.3% abv, a light (but not ultra-light) body, and enough hops to keep the palate interested, this would make a great session beer. Fans of German lagers, especially the Helles style, will definitely appreciate this one. Very well done.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Clear golden yellow with a huge frothy head with sticky lacing. Pretty beautiful.

S: grainy and grassy with a hint of smoke.

T: Biscuity, bready, grassy, grainy. Taste starts with the biscuity grass then switches to being a touch smokey before going back to a bready grainy grassy taste. complex and wonderful.

M: Light bodied, crisp, refreshing.

O: Its amazing that this beer isn't talked about more. It has great balance, it's refreshing, crisp, packed with flavor, and 4.3% abv. Doesn't get much better.

4.64/5  rDev +17.5%

4.63/5  rDev +17.2%

Picked up this 500mL bottle back in September for $4.50 at The Wine Thief in downtown New Haven CT. No date or code noted. Served at 50F in a pisner glass at the same temperature.

A: Thick sediment at the bottom of the bottle had already started to move, but I was able to pour slowly and avoided getting any in the first half. Clear bright yellow brew of medium color density (halfway between pale and solid yellow). A steady stream of medium-sized bubbles rockets upward, suggesting low viscosity. Thin off-white head settles to a single sticky layer that likes the glass.

S: Nice bit of that characteristic beechwood smoke gives it a modest air of well-worn leather. Mild backbone of light sweet malt, and also some lemon/ grassy hop detected as well. Overall not hugely aromatic, but what's there is a diverse and pleasing bouquet.

T: Everything in the nose comes through just as expected with the intensity turned up a few notches. Super tasty leather/tobacco backbone from the smoked malt, just a hint of honey sweetness comes through, and a moderate bit of lemon herb hop blends seamlessly into the mix.

M: Crisp, light, bubbly... just as it should be. Finishes with lingering leather and bitter herb hop.

D: This is a very tasty and classy brew. The smoked malt gives it a big added twist that levels a huge impact on this lighter style. It is a lighter helles, not as malty as most, but the smoke makes up the difference nicely. I feel like I should be sitting in a classy leather chair in front of a fireplace in a library full of old books with a warm dog at my feet. A great balance of cozy and elegant. "Alfred, kindly bring me another, and put another long on the fire." "Yes sir, right away, sir."

Swirled the yeast in at the end and it didn't have much effect; it blended almost imperceptibly with what was there before. Though it did help the head stand up quite a bit better.

4.62/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

How this doesn't have a higher rating is beyond me. This beer is amazing. Rauchbiers are clearly not for the faint of heart, but this could be a perfect gateway for the nay-sayers. Wonderful campfire aroma upon opening, with a well rounded flavor showcasing smoke with the sweetness you'd expect of a classic Helles coming through. Absolutely wonderful. Prost!

4.62/5  rDev +17%

Appearance - Pours a clear straw color with a half inch thick, soapy white head. Leaves a very nice, creamy lacing.

Smell - Has a slight spicy aroma, like a typical helles lager. Along with a weird funk and sourdough bread.

Taste - Lightly spiced. I can detect coriander for sure. There is a strong smoky flavor as well, with a light mustiness/funk. It has a subtle sweetness throughout. Sourdough bread and a light bitterness come out in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - This is a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Purchased a bottle at Julio's Liquors in Westborough, MA.

A: Medium yellow hue with brilliant clarity. Visibly effervescent. Pours with a creamy white head with sticky lacing.

S: A very full aroma for a light lager. Sweet grainy aroma with a good smattering of smoke - but not overpowering. Besides that very crisp and clean.

T: Sweet and malty. Grainy. Smokey character pervades throughout adding a unique twist. A little hop bitterness on the back end with a malty sweet finish. Quite nice overall.

MF: I can say that I have never been more impressed by a beer's mouthfeel - outstanding. Creamy and full without being cloying or heavy. Medium carbonation.

D: A very good beer. Good nose and flavor and an outstanding mouthfeel. What a light lager can taste like. Supremely drinkable.

4.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Purchased yesterday at Lina's Beverage in Painseville, Ohio for $3.99. Seems like a good deal to me.

A Pours a classic straw with short lived bubbly head. True to the style. Not that inspring but there was visible sediment in the bottom of the bottle.

S Love to smell a subtle smoke that I was hoping for from this brewery so well known for its Rauchbiers but the predominent smell is that of a Lager, grainy with barley. The smoke smell carries a bit of sweetness with it. Smells very inviting.

T The smoke that I had hoped for has carried over into the taste. Carrying nowhere near the intensity of smoke of the Rauchbiers the sweet smoke taste is certainly there in a much more muted way. The sweet syrupy smoky taste is a great backdrop to a great lager taste. Sweetnes lingers well into the aftertaste, some 5 minutes after my last sip. Great taste.

M Light with carbonation, very appropriate to the style.

D Very high, maybe the highest rating I can give it since the nice subtle smoky sweetness is a great deal maker for a low ABV munich lager from Bamberg.

Notes: Loved it and the Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla again demonstrates their mastery of the styles that they brew. Highly recommended.

On-tap

A- On-tap at Redlight Redlight in Orlando. Poured into a .5L mug. Pours a golden yellow color with a large off-white head.

S- The aroma like all beers from this brewery has a very pleasant smoked malt smell. I can't get enough of this aroma!

T- The taste like the aroma features delicious pale smoked malts with a finish that leaves you craving more.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- This beer is the definition of a session beer for me, very tasty and extremely drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Needed a more vigorous pour so I'm being conservative on the appearance, but the colour was nothing truly exceptional - clear golden.

Smell - molasses, smoke, and autumn leaves.

Taste - tea, teaberry, smoke, dry autumn leaves, herbal finish.

Nicely carbonated.

At 4.5 or thereabouts very drinkable.

Beautiful, intriguing beer.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a crystal clear gold with a wispy thin ivory head. Some faint fine lacing. Smell is smoky. Smoked peat. Some lightly grassy malt.

Taste is smoky, of course and a rich grassy malt. Noble hop finish with a faint fruitiness. Mouth is crisp, if a bit thinnish. This is just so heavenly good. One of the better beers I've had all year. Yummy!

4.55/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer comes in a golden clear yellow. Very standard looking pale lager. It comes with a foamy two finger white head.

The aroma is really interesting. You get a fresh big pop of grassy hops, sweet lemony citrus, but also an extremely interesting hint of smoke in the back. It’s a bit subtle, but also smokey and meaty.

The flavor is super interesting. It’s refreshing and bright with a punch of grassy hops in the front with a bit of lemon bitterness. Then there’s that sweet bready malt of a well made helles lager. The smoke gives this beer a second dimension with the smokey flavor. A bit acrid, a bit meaty, ashy, and dry.

The refreshing beer on the end combines that grass and smokey finish. What soft, yet complex and delicious flavors that this beer has. It's sweet, it's crisp, it's bitter, it's complex, it's easy drinking, it's amazing.

This is a fantastic beer. I love smoke side that this beer adds to already well made beer. If this was a bit more reasonably priced, I would drink it more. I can definitely see why this gets brought to Torst and Proletariat in NYC.

4.54/5  rDev +14.9%

I've really been looking forward to trying this one. Purchased in Seattle and shipped to Alaska.

Pours a clear light golden color with white foam that clings to the glass. Smells awesome. A bready malt aroma with just a hint of hops and that signature beechwood smoke lingering way in the background. There is a definite DMS note in there as well.

The smoky flavor just kind of clouds over all aspects of the flavor, but is never over the top. I read that they don't use any smoked malt in their helles, and the smoke is just characteristic of the yeast and the brewing/fermentation vessels. The malt flavor is perfect for the style: strong, sweet and clean. The noble hop flavor is hardly noticable but the bitterness comes in about mid swallow and balances the malt into the finish.

The Schlenkerla malty flavor and smoke combination has got to be one of the most addicting flavor combinations out there in my opinion. Whenever I open any of their beers, it's tough to make it last five minutes. Awesome brew...

Aecht Schlenkerla Helles Lagerbier from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla