Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

Added by Bierman9 on 12-13-2009

1.2/5  rDev -70.3%

1.44/5  rDev -64.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I am a huge fan of smoked food but this beer is so heavy with a smoked flavor that I could not drink the whole beer I bought. It was really bad.

1.47/5  rDev -63.6%

Served from the bottle into a mug

A- Poured a murky brown with orange hues with a three finger soapy head that left no lace.

S- Very strong aroma. This smells like bacon, rubber like aroma. I love bacon, but this smells just like bacon, a little startling.

T- This tastes like bacon, burnt rubber, beef jerky, and band aids. Very strong flavors that I did not care for.

M- Hard for me to get this in my mouth long enough to really assess the mouthfeel. Medium body and medium carbonation.

O- I could not choke this down. This flavor is just not for me I guess. My experience with smoked beers is limited, I have had some that were okay, but the smoke flavor in this one is very strong.

1.5/5  rDev -62.9%

1.75/5  rDev -56.7%

1.78/5  rDev -55.9%

On draft at Gastropub 775 in Reno, NV on July 26 2011.

This beer was, for me, extreme.

I have had rauchbier on many occasions and have enjoyed beers of the style. I get it. However, I thought this beer was awful and wondered if something had gone wrong.

The beer had an orange brown hue.

It smelled like burning rubber.

The first few sips revealed woodchips soaked in medicine. Later, medicinal flavors of beef jerky and ham developed.

I did not finish the beer. :(

2.09/5  rDev -48.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

A - A deep red beer with a light beige lacing.

S - A strong smell of burned and smoked oak wood.

T - This is like drinking an astray with a smoked ham added. There is however a undertone of a very nice Doppelbock which is a bit sweet. Unfortunately I am sure that by the time my glass is finished I will end up with a huge headache.

M - A medium carbonation with no bitterness or any alcohol heat.

O - Now I found a beer that is even worse than a sour one. This is not my kind of thing. I stopped smoking 8,5 years ago and this beer tastes like I have started again. This beer still get some points for the Doppelbock undertone which is is undoubtedly nice and wonderful.

2.14/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

A: Cloudy bronze amber, no visible carbonation, no head.

S: Smoked meat, specifically bologna, is the dominant scent. It smells very similar to a home that has a traditional wood burning stove. Very slight sweet fruit can be found if you look hard enough.

T: Smoked meat on the front end that lingers, and a sweet dark fruit taste on the back end that accumulates through the pint.

M: Absolutely flat, no carbonation, slight alcohol sensation that hangs out for a minute before moving on. A very light body for a doppelbock.

O: Change of pace beer to have once in a very long while, but I only got halfway through the pint, and am not interested in coming back anytime soon.

2.2/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Smoke flavor was way too strong for me. Undrinkable. Hate to admit it, but I poured it out.

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

2.44/5  rDev -39.6%

Heavy smoke and oak flavor, smooth but too strong of flavors

2.48/5  rDev -38.6%

2.5/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.51/5  rDev -37.9%

1 pint .9 oz bottle, poured into a mug at approximately 40 degrees F.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden red, almost orange-tinted, and forms quite a thick pale beige head that leaves crazy amounts of lacing as it slowly recedes. Bubbles line the bottom of the glass, and rocket upwards sporadically rather than in columns.

Smell: Dark, dank smoke swirls out of the glass, redolent with scents that remind me of a pork shoulder going in my smoker on a spring afternoon. There's a sweetness underlying the smoke, like caramel. The smoke scent itself, while allegedly oak, reminds me more of burning a mix of peat and hickory.

Taste: Oh my, that is a smooth-drinking beverage. The taste opens with a sweet caramel malt that seems to have been aged in oak barrels, which is suddenly overtaken in the middle by the taste of fire-blackened pork still dripping with fat. As it progresses, the meaty essence gives way first to charred and ashy wood, and by the finish, to a peaty soot. While there are allegedly Hallertau hops present, I can find no hop character to this beer (which is a plus for me), beyond the slight earthy-peaty tone to some of the smoke. There is no indication at all that this contains alcohol, just sweetness and smoke.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and quite drinkable, this feels like silk along the palate.

Overall: My first encounter with a Schlenkerla, and assuredly not my last. I'd call this more of a rauchbier than a doppelbock, as the primary characteristic is the smoke - there's nowhere near the level of bready, toffee, caramel, nutty, or dark fruit flavors I would associate with a doppelbock, nor the sticky mouthfeel. I greatly enjoy this beer, but I am forced to rate it as a doppelbock because that's how it's classified, and therefore that's the style-specific ranking it will appear in. Were this lumped in as a rauchbier, use of oak instead of beech notwithstanding, my rating would be far higher - easily over a 4 in every category.

2.51/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a golden orange, almost amber color, opaque with nearly no head retention. Then again, my fridge stays a bit colder than I'd like it to for the beer's sake due to the missus. The first thing I got in the nose was paste. Reminded me of kindergarten. Then I started thinking in terms of smoke and I realized it was just smokiness, like from a campfire. Some alcohol sting, and sweet, tart malt are in there too. No yeast or hops to speak of in the nose (or taste, for that matter). Sweet amber malt hits the tongue first, then super smoky flavors take over. I get some sweet nutiness in the finish but bitter smoke remains on the palate. A bit thick mouthfeel. Smooth, wet finish.

Sorry, but I just couldn't get paste out of my mind and that definitely affected my feelings of this beer. Although I had a bad reaction to the smell, the taste wasn't bad. It wasn't great, but it was interesting to say the least. I'm surprised this came from Germany. If I had to guess without knowing who made it, I'd have said Rogue because of the super strong smokiness. I appreciate what they are trying to do. I just wish I had it with some barbeque, as I think it would make a great pairing. Gotta give it to them for hiding the 8% so well, too. I wouldn't necessarily buy it again, but it was an interesting experience.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla