Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

*brewed with 100% Schlenkerla Oak Smoke Malt
*8% alcohol
*40 bitter units from finest aroma hops
*Bernstein (amber) color
Schlenkerla Oak Smoke will be available during Christmas time 2009 at our historic brewery tavern in Bamberg (first tapping Dec. 18th), and on draft as special import in the USA - please contact our US importer for availability.

Added by Bierman9 on 12-13-2009

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Like nothing I've ever tasted outside a boy scout camp out. Lots of beers have a smokey background, but here, it's the main show. But it works. Not a mainstay beer for me but a fun change of pace.

3.73/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

500 bottle poured into tulip 23/12/16

A almost clear amber, lots of bubbles feeding a finger of tan foam that leaves a few random patches

S plenty of smoke, has a medicinal thing going on though, iodine and band-aids hold it back, smoked meat and apple work for it

T some hard toffee trying to shine through, less band-aid, smoke is mellow compared to the nose

M a little thin but well carbonated, long lingering smokey finish

O OK brew but I was expecting something great, a little disappointed by this one considering who brewed it

By far my least favorite from these guys that I've had so far but this bottles been sitting around for a while, perhaps I'll re-rate a fresh bottle when one comes around

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Going back to my roots with this. Definitely something different from the parade of IPAs. Poured into a tall tulip - clear dark brown with a finger or so of tan, fluffy head. Smoke, bacon, and some caramel in the nose. Smokey malt and sweet roasted malt combine with caramel and toffee in the taste. Mouth is great. Overall, delicious and a welcome change from the usual fare around my homestead.

4.71/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours an abmerish color. The head is frothy, 1 finger, but long lasting. The nose is like heaven to me, I love the smoke smell. That smoke smell takes me back to childhood, when we went to visit my aunt and uncle, we always stopped at a meat market on the way. The smoke smell in that market was, and still is amazing. That's what this beer's nose reminds me of.

The taste is, well, I wish I could convey the noises of joy I was making drinking this. The smoke is very noticeable. It feels good going down. Smooth. Easy drinking, not watery. Just an all around good beer. Damn good.

3.61/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.22/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Unknown vintage; drank 10/5/14 @ the Yarchives.

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Orange/red murkiness.

Tan head; thick lace.

Smoky bacon & maple syrup nose.

Medium thick mouthfeel.

Smoke & mild caramel up front; pork notes emerge as this warms. Super heavy flavors, but drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +5.9%

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.84/5  rDev -5.9%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.31/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As expected smokie, "hammy" and all that. I prefer this to this breweries other smoked offerings for a couple of reasons. The higher alcohol makes the intensity of the smoke more reserved, as it meshes with a pleasant alcohol burn. Also at 8%, instead of just getting stale on its path way through ocean voyage and time in a warehouse, it probably just keeps getting better! The malty sweetness of this exceptional brew seems perfect for the smoked characteristic. Buy several and enjoy all winter long. With Christmas or Easter ham - nirvana.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.14/5  rDev +1.5%

4.84/5  rDev +18.6%

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

When held in the light, shows a garnet color with a touch of brown. Thin khaki head that lingers just around the rim.

Instant aroma of campfire fills the area 3 feet in any direction, but faded( or I just got used to it). Also a slight medicinal, and yet can still detect a faint caramel and bready scent too.

I suspected the flavor to be dominated by smoke, and it is, but more reminiscent of honey glazed ham as the sweetness showcases more than other Rauchbiers. Woodiness very noticeable as well.

Feel is unique. Starts thin, but is rich and leaves a resin like oiliness that coats the mouth to the end.

Overall, I believe I found my new favor from Schlenkerla, but who knows. Every time I get one, I have to revisit another, and the circle of favoritism continues!

3.89/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

From bottle, pours a very dark Amber colour with a small white head that disapates to a thin ring.
Aroma ham, bacon, smoke
Taste campfire, beacon, oak.
Not my favourite style but if it is you gotta suss it out.

Aecht Schlenkerla Eiche from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla