Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,116 | Ratings: 2,277
3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

M-Pours a dark red amber brown, nice carbonation leave a small head that fades to lacing and sits nicely on top for a while. Translucent
S- smoky wood, oaky, wood oven pizza smoke. There is little bit of malt but this is all about the smoke
T- you can taste the malts upfront a little more tha the smell let's on but Stijl, smoke, barbecue
M- nice carbination, light body with a smooth finish

This is a good beer, great with wings, smokiness is almost overwhelming. Tasty treat but not an every day drinker

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Pours deep reddish ruby copper, 1 in tan head with a sticky lace.

S - SMOKEY, there is a hickory, roasted character, I dare say almost like baked beans, this is different.

T - Evenmore smokey, I could imagine roasted malts on a wooden plank to enrich the smokey hickory flavors. Little noticable hops, sweet molasses and bean flavors. Flavors become more pronouced closer to room temp.

M - Med bodied, low carbontation, seems thick for a Marzen, extremely smooth.

D - Very special and different would go great with a BBQ, but would not pick this beer to drink one after the other.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Reviewed from notes next to a campfire, a good pairing?

A- Brown with a huge white creamy top, can scoop pieces out. Good retention and tons of lace immediately.

S- Slightly smoky caramel malts and a dose of dark fruit. Nothing crazy here but good and relaxed.

T- More smoke than the aroma but still at a low-moderate level. Light toasty biscuit, caramel malt under the smoke. Small hints of dark fruit, vanilla, cocoa.

MF- Light body with low carbonation. Allows the flavors to shine but for some reason it is harder to quaff down, gets tiring in a way.

DB- A lighter smoked beer. I would like a bit more smokey malt but still enjoyed it.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Wow, this has been something I've been meaning to explore for quite sometime. The rauchbier style has intrigued me for awhile but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to taste. This pours a clear dark chestnut brown in color with a tan, bubbly head. Attractive lacing down the side of my pint. Aroma of smoked malt with a touch of fruitiness. The nose is also somewhat medicinal. Medium-bodied mouthfeel is very smooth. Unbelievable smoked malt taste that gets even stronger in the finish. I know there's an underlying marzen beer underneath but the smokiness of the beer just dominates throughout. Way, way in the back you can start to pull out some of the caramel and a hop bitterness that attempts to keep things in check.

This is a beer that begs to be consumed with food. It's a most unique style. This would obviously pair well with smoked foods like salmon, BBQ ribs and grilled sausage. The style is probably an acquired taste and I think it takes a few times to "get it". But once you do... wow, it's amazing.

Served from an oakwood barrel @ the Bav Lodge

A: Served in a straight sided glass with an appreciable, fluffy, whipped meringue head floating above the sides of the glass. Beer itself is a darker, red-tinted brown. Quite cloudy.

S: Not surprisingly, lots of smoke and some roasted malts. Reminiscent of bacon.

T: Roasted malts, peat and smoke. Slightly sweet. Bacon, Pumpernickel bread. Very mild bitterness. Long lingering flavor of smoke on the finish.

M: Medium bodied, with more carbonation than I would have expected for a cask beer.

O: A very nice rauchbeir, though I was done about half through the glass. As I drank on, the smoke seemed develop a more chemical-like aspect to it which hindered the drinkability a bit.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

A: Pour is very dark with hints of red. The off-white head is really large and creamy. Dissipation is slow and uneven, but the lacings are great.

S: Smoked ham and fried bacon are what dominates.

T: Like the smell, bacon and smoked ham. A bit sweet.

M: Medium body and moderate carbonation. Aftertaste is lingering and holds obvious smoke and also some bitterness.

D: A very smoked Rauchbier. Either you'll love it or hate it. I had my first one a couple of years back - then I hated it. This time it's a lot better.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a oversized pint glass.

Pours a dark brown brew with a massive tan head that sits in a chunky chaos. Wow mighty impressive looking brew. Huge head remains - great lacing.

Brew smells like smoked meat, like a ham that has been cooked for hours by mom and your coming in late for dinner. Smells like a bon fire - where are the smores?

Brew tastes like a meal in a glass; where is the salad and potato? This is an aquired taste which you must be ready for, but it is very tasty. Rustic, burnt, woody, smoked ham flavors - these malts are put to flames. Wow.

This beer is an aquired tast - but very damn good and tasty. I would drink one of these and move to another, but not for a bad reason. This is a great brew that is meant to be sipped and enjoyed. Nice.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured a dark dark copper with not much tan head.

The smell was very strong. I would compare it to smoked jerky.

From the overwhelming smell, I was expecting a strong smokey flavor. After the first sip or two, I thought it was only mildy smokey. But after as I drank more it became a very strong smoke taste. It has some maltiness to it, but the smoke flavor overpowers it.

The carbonation was above-average.

I could see this beer paired well with food, but see me drinking only one at the most.

Overall, the smoke flavor could have been toned down for me personally. Not sure how this stacks up against other beers of this style because it is only my second.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a dark brown color with ruby highlights with a dense off-white head the quickly dissipates into a light ring. The aroma is of liquid smoke, charred soy marinated meat, wet burnt wood. Big smoke flavors, charred malt, roasted meat, a touch of soy sauce; the total campfire experience. The feel is fairly light for such a heavy flavored beer. I would like to have a little more malt body to help handle the intense smoke flavors. Great smoke flavors in this brew. It pretty much emcompasses the whole beer. I would like to see a heavier (non-smoked) malt to balance the smoke and add some additional flavor.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

From a bomber to a sam adams cup

A- Beautiful dark chestnut brown, head was about a half inch with a rough pour and wuickly dropped to a small lacing

S- burnt wood, sausage? Nuts, leather, no hops, some hints of malt, but not sweet like you would expect from a marzen

T- Mmm, liquid sausage, i sense a slight nuttiness at the end, almost like a brown ale

M- Medium body, nice carbonation

O- I have to admit i just review 3 belgians through out the day and though i was craving any thing but a belgian, i don't think it affected this review. All and all it was a great beer. My only complaint was that it was more like a brown then a marzen. I tasted no sweet malts, as i would expect from a marzen/ocktoberfest. I was very nutty, which taste wise, complemented the smokiness. Style wise forced me to lower the score one this awesome brew.

3.82/5  rDev -5.9%

I was reticent to pick this up for a few weeks, pondering it at the great local Piccadilly and walking past more than once. But I gathered up the nerve last week and grabbed a bottle, setting it in the fridge for a week-long chill. My curiosity got the best of me tonight and, as I read Engels's classic The Condition of the Working Class in England, figured that a unique German beer would best accompany a unique German thinker.

And this is certainly a unique beer. I've never had a smoke beer before, yet I can safely say that this is one of the most unique beers I've ever had, no question. It's also a good opportunity to tout one of the Beer Advocate site's best features, which is the plethora of sterling reviews about beer that one can find here. While I often read the reviews of Buckeye Nation, Nero Fiddled, Felonious Monk and others before I try beers for the first time, this was one of many times when one of them, in this case Buckeye Nation, positive nailed a beer in a review. He said that this beer was reminiscent of smoked meat, and that couldn't be more true. It's akin to liquid jerky, and I mean that in a good way. This speaks to a genuine benefit of writing here, and that is the sheer depth of knowledge that people transmit about beer on this website. Not for nothing, it's at times mind-boggling.

The presentation is decent, with a light cap of tan head quickly fading over a dark brown body with a rich ruby perimeter. The smell is incredibly smoky, nothing but. For some, I can imagine that this is a turn-off. Thankfully, having been prepared by reading the reviews of others mentioned above, I was not only braced but thrilled to get the same whiff I would get from smoked jerky--not the sweet-spicy smell of venison, but rather the deep, smoky smell of a good, dense, home-smoked beef stick. That's the truth.

I worried that the taste would require choking it down, but that's not so. It's actually fairly smooth and pleasant, a nice sipping beer. I genuinely have no idea whether or not smoke beer is regularly flat, but this is. That's not all bad, but I can't help but think that more carbonation, if that's possible with this style, would bring other flavors to the fore. Perhaps that's not to be, that the smoke would override all else. I'm just not so keen on flat beer.

The lack of complexity, and the overriding campfire-smoker taste, somewhat hinder the drinkability. Yet this isn't bad by any means. It's worth a try, and went well with a good slice of pepperoni pizza (I wish I had some anchovies on it, which probably would have been great with this Rauchbier.). I don't know how often I'll grab this or any other smoke beer but, if someone offers me a cold Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen, I won't say no. Fear not.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a very dark brown. No head, minimal lacing. Oily surface. Smell is pure smoke. Smells like charcoal plus good pork bbq. Front is puuure smoked bacon. Back doesn't taste much different than the front. Very nice mouthfeel, not thick, but substantial. Overall really good if you can get it and love pork.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, almost black brown, with dark red reflections. Head is one finger thick and recedes very quickly, leaving a thin ring and almost no lacing. This was my first Rauchbier, so the smell was a huge surprise: I'm getting acrid tobacco, leather and smoked sausage. Hidden beneath are sweet malts, which bring a nice balance. Surprisingly, I couldn't find any of that in the taste -- although everyone seems to get the same smokey flavors, I'm feeling more of a strong stout character: caramel, chocolate, coffee with slight bitterness in the end. Still, it's quite nice.
The mouthfeel however left me a bit puzzled: I expected something much more bodied and rich, but this is one of the lightest beers I've drank lately. Carbonation is pretty light too, so it's an extremely drinkable beer, but I'm not convinced it goes that well with its other (numerous) qualities.
That being said, it's a very good beer, and I'm curious to try others of the same style.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Whoa! This is a rauchbier? At least it definitely smells like smoke. This is my first rauchbier, so bottoms up!

This brew pours with a vast amount of carbonation and produces a beautiful sticky and light tan head. The body is dark ruby in color, but is actually quite haze free.

The taste is sweet and smoky at the same time. It reminds me of the smoked salmon you get in slices at home. I suppose this would go with a cuisine like that, or to balance out a sweet dessert.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a lovely dark ruby red with a good two inch, rocky off-white head. The head lasts a good long while before finally settling into a creamy layer that lasts all the way down the glass.

Aroma is ham. That's it. Just ham. Smoked, candied ham, to be exact. Ah, wait.. there is a very, very faint hop aroma in here too, as well as a small bit of roses (?), but it's all but buried under the smoky candied ham smell.

With the aroma, you might expect this to taste like a smoke bomb. It doesn't. The taste is nowhere near as smoky as one might expect. There *is* smoke, mind you, just not as overwhelming as you may anticipate. Oddly, the ham is present in the taste, not just in the aroma. Were the beer saltier, I'd swear it was ham juice. As the beer warms, however, the ham taste and aroma disappear, leaving a nice malty sweetness that begins to smell more like barbecue sauce, believe it or not. The taste also takes on a little bbq sauce spiciness, especially in the finish. I can't taste any hops in here whatsoever. They have to be there, or else the beer would be cloying, and it most certainly isn't that sweet. The smoky, hammy, barbecue taste doesn't linger in the aftertaste. There's just the sweet malt and enough bitterness to keep the sweetness from being over the top.

The mouthfeel is rather on the light side, with no oiliness or filmy feeling one might get from smoked foods. Very clean.

Overall, this is a very interesting beer. I don't know that I'd order it if other favorites of mine were available, but within the style, well, this seems to be a very, very good rauchbier. AN excellent place to start if you want to explore the style.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Rauchbier is truely an acquired taste... and I'm not sure that I have, as of yet, acquired the taste. That said, this was a very interesting beer... had it with some Jagerschnitzel at a local German restaurant. Brownish amber with a dense foam. Aroma of smoked meat and just a touch of sweetness (although you have to be looking for it, or you won't find it.) First sip, and whoa... smoked salmon in a bottle... but after a few sips (and as the beer started to warm) the smokiness mellowed and some of the marzen characterisitcs started coming through. The sweetness matched the smoky flavor pretty well. The body and carbonation are in the medium range. If you like smoked beer... you should love this beer... if you haven't had it, you owe it to yourself to try it.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

Forms a nice enough head, medium sized bubbles that hold together pretty well, the larger bubbles disappate after a little while forming a thin, tight head.

Color is a dark red, edging on brown.

Smells somewhat like smoked ham, delicious!

The smoked ham flavor comes up and fills the mouth, leaving a wonderful aftertaste. Pleasant bitterness, pretty much spot on.

I get the impression of smoke when I exhale, I can only imagine what my breath smells like!

Very little in the way of mouthfeel, leaves a residual smokiness, but very ethereal. Probably a good thing - you get a nice dose of smoke and then it fades away. After the initial tasting, one is pretty much inured against the smoke and gets mostly the impression of it.

This is surprisingly drinkable. I thought would have trouble choking it down, but the way the smoke presents itself is extremely approachable. I doubt I'd drink it often, but it was well worth the price of admission.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%

1 pt 9 oz bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.
A: Nice mahogany brown color, somewhat bright. Pours with a one-inch layer of very light brown head with some frothy bubbles.
S: Warm and sweet, plenty of caramel malts with some smoky scents, too.
T: Soft malt flavors, somewhat sweet, kinda earthy at first. Then the bitterer smoky flavors take over and lead into a finish that has some sugary, leafy and faintly hoppy. Not a bad taste, but I expected the malts to be a little more prevalent and the smokiness a little smoother.
M: Okay, mostly wet and satisfyingly quaffable, but with a noticeable alcohol presence in the finish.
D: Pretty good, barring the alcohol tingle.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Deep ruby tone with a very appeasing tan foaming fluffy head, exquisite lacing surrounding the pint. Aroma: Well, I know this sounds weird but this beer smells of a tender smoked bacon with semi sweet roasted tones barely creeping through, oh so unique just straight up different and the orginator of smoked bier. Taste: It's so strange drinking a mildly sweet liquid that has a big kick of smoked meat in the flavor doesn't seem like it should be drinkable or even blend together but it does. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation not a bad brew at all, definitely a new definition of smoked bier. Drinkability: Suprisingly goes down pretty well I think it's damn good such a complex flavor picking out smoked flavors still brewed in the same tradition this is pretty amazing stuff be ready for something new if you try it.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

They weren't kidding when they classify this as a "smoked beer". Drank straight from the bottle, reminded me of smoke kielbasa around a campfire. Pleasant beer to drink. Very crisp and easy to drink beer.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

1pt 09oz bottle poured into a shaped pint glass.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen pours a dark dark brown, with reddish hints when held to the light, and a small, short-lived light tan head.

The smell and taste are dominated by smoked sausage with the taste being a tad too strong and more than a tad too long-lived. Despite following the beer with Kung Pau Chicken, an hour afterwards, my burps had the taste of smoked beer. The feel is chewy and substantial, with an unexpected light carbonation that makes this unexpectedly refreshing.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen is a great experience; however a little goes a long way. I'm glad I tried it; however I may not go back for more.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Deep deep copper, maybe brown even. Head is tan, with good retention at a quarter finger and some notes of lacing.
S- The first few smells all I was getting was like a smoke salami aroma. Now I'm picking up more toasted malts, a bit of grassyness, and a bit of a metallic presence.
T- Actually not too smoky at first, pretty much just a toasted malt presence. Smoke is very heavy in the finish though. Really is like a smoked ham type flavor. Slight metallic note here too.
M- Found it a bit underweighted and low carbed, rendering it a bit like smoke water.
O- You know, it's just not my thing, but I've graded this one with style in mind as I feel like this is a pretty good example, if you read up on what the style is about. If rauchbiers are your thing, this one probably ranks up there. Good for the style (other than the mouthfeel was a letdown), and a good enough experience I guess.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours out a nice dark ruby with slight reddish tint. Nice

No head at all can be conceived, but a slight lacing appears as warming.

Aroma of smoke, with beef, malt, fruit, and citrus

Flavors of smoke, malt, roast beef, slight hint of wheat that is overwhelmed with smoke, also with some fruit and citrus in the after taste.

Mouthfeel is some what weak, light on the carbonation, low body.

Overall this would go good with some smoke cheese and some beef. Unless you like smoke beers, this is a try beer.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a reddish amber, pretty clear, with a nicely sized fluffy tan head. It fades momentarily and leaves behind a few drifts of small lacing.

Salty, smoked, burnt barbecue - bacon fat - Copenhagen - all of these are present in the smell.

Flavor carries these salted pork hues, but is backed up with a light malt body - I noticed a bit of lemon twinge, which really lightens up the heavy meaty flavor.

Very smooth mouthfeel, just the right density and sensation that asks you to drink deeply, not sip. It finishes with a complex finish that is one part sticky, one part salty, smoky on the tongue.

I have been pretty fearful of smokebeers until now, and it turns out that this one, at least, is better than I'd hoped. Yes, it has a frightening smell of smoke and meat, but it's surprisingly quaffable! :)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

500ml bottle picked up on sale for $2.99. drank out of a standard pint glass.

A- this one pours out a dark brown colored body with ruby red around the edges when held up to the light. a small cream colored head sits on which leaves small spots of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- this beer has an extremely strong odor. lots of smoke/campfire can be detected even a few feet away. very meaty smelling.

T- the taste yields just as much smoke as the smell did. it also reminds me of smoked sausage. very odd for a beer.

M- not as heavily bodied as i was expecting. leaves my mouth feeling dry.

D- definitely a smoked beer. almost so over the top that it becomes a novelty. something id come back to sometime down the road but not for a while.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla