Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,100 | Ratings: 2,241
3.11/5  rDev -23.4%

Pours a medium brown with a very thin off-white head. Smells very strongly of smoke (think smoked pork shoulder or ham), some malts and spices. Taste is dominated by the smoke flavor and I really can't get past it. Some sweet caramel notes and malts are present but the smoke flavor overpowers. Glad I bought just one.

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle, pours a very dark but clear brown with a thin beige head. Aroma is a musty spice. Taste has an astringent bitterness of overpowering smokiness with slight malt and caramel. An acquired taste; one's enough for me.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

Very dark for a marzen with a shallow head. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass. The Beech wood kiln malt works its wonders. Aroma of ham, bacon, ash, wood, and some toffee. The flavor is not as impressive as the smoke qualities overpower the rest of the beer. Nice bacon and ham notes at first but it sort of wears out the palate with its intensity. Some sweetness and caramel notes but does not seem as toasty as other marzens. This is a low ABV beer and the body reflects that. Nice carbonation.

This is the first beer in a long long time that I could not finish. I know it is highly rated and I paid a premium for it, but I had an instant visceral reaction to it.....I found the smokey taste to be overwhelming. Otherwise, it seemed like a nice, rich, dark-as-molasses beer, which I normally love....but all I could taste was campfire. I pretty much have liked, on some level, every other beer I've ever had....but the smell of this beer almost made me nauseous.

But I know taste is subjective, so as weird as it sounds, I would try again....as a sample, to try to develop a palate for it. I remember I used to hate wheat beers , but after sampling enough of them, I slowly turned.... and now I love them.

So there it is....try this beer at your own risk! Seems like you'll either love it or hate it - no in between.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Decent smokiness. Campfire. Fruit. Bandaid. Ash. Wood. Chocolate. Balancing with the malts caramelly toffee back. This beer demands meat with its faint lacing, and nice lingering head.

2.77/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Woof I tried this for the first time about 20 years ago, and a half dozen times since, and I can assure you rauchbiers are not my jam man. Takes on a brown porter and cola like appearance, tan head. Almost seems like this is a blend of gose and rauchbier from the aroma. Has that fatty, smoky, salty exterior aroma.

Taste is just like a meat platter with smoke/cigars/tobacco. The body itself is actually relatively light, but there is so much flavor packed into this one. I could go for a few ounces maybe around a campfire, but that is about it, it is so foreign, so just not the vibe I want when drinking a beer. So much earth and smoke in the mouthfeel.

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark, almost black brown, with dark red reflections. Head is one finger thick and recedes very quickly, leaving a thin ring and almost no lacing. This was my first Rauchbier, so the smell was a huge surprise: I'm getting acrid tobacco, leather and smoked sausage. Hidden beneath are sweet malts, which bring a nice balance. Surprisingly, I couldn't find any of that in the taste -- although everyone seems to get the same smokey flavors, I'm feeling more of a strong stout character: caramel, chocolate, coffee with slight bitterness in the end. Still, it's quite nice.
The mouthfeel however left me a bit puzzled: I expected something much more bodied and rich, but this is one of the lightest beers I've drank lately. Carbonation is pretty light too, so it's an extremely drinkable beer, but I'm not convinced it goes that well with its other (numerous) qualities.
That being said, it's a very good beer, and I'm curious to try others of the same style.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Chestnut brown in color with a solid inch of frothy and dense brown head. Heavy lacing. The aroma is very reminiscent of lapsang souchong tea (which has tea leaves that were dried over beechwood fires). The taste is much less smoky than the nose would indicate but it is the dominate flavor. I'm also getting some dark malt in the mix. The mouth is fairly smooth and quaffable.

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

The beer comes in a ruby brown color.

The aroma offers rich woody smoke with smoked tuna, smoked BBQ, bacon, toasty bready malts, woody hops.

The flavor follows with campfire, smoking wood chips, toasty bready sweetness with a medium to medium plus mouthfeel with lingering toast qualities and woody bitterness on the finish.

A wonderful food pairing brew.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured 0.5l bottle into a glass mug

L: Pours hazy with a very dark amber to brown color. One finger high ivory head leaves sticky lacing.

S: Smokey aromas (beech wood, smoked meat) and sweet malts.

T: Taste follows the nose. Smoked meat and smoked wood flavor dominate the taste (and aftertaste). Sweet caramel malts are present in the background.

M: Medium bodied, crisp and smooth. It literally feels like eating smoked meat. Alcohol content gives mild warming flavor.

O: Excellent example of this interesting and unique beer style.

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

L: Jet black color, one finger tanned head, high levels of carbonation.

S: Smoked, creamy aroma. Lovely.

T: Smoked, creamy taste. Tastes exactly as it smells.

F: Refreshing, drinkable but kind of heavy feel due to smokeness. Felt like eating meat :)

O: If you like smoked products then this is probably a masterpiece. If not, it still worth tasting.

4.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This beer is nuts.....definitely my first Rauchbier and it won't be my last....this may have sparked an obsession

A: Dark but surprisingly not at all opaque....minimal, pale head deep red/amber bordering on black color
S: Smell's reminiscent of an old woodburning stove, ash, BBQ, burnt matches, wood
T: I love smoky, peaty scotches, so this is right up my alley. Charcoal on the nose, lapsang souchong, smoke, cured meats, a hint of dried fruit linger and evolve after each sip....really unique
F: oily, sticks around for a while...not overly carbonated; drinks great
O: Outstanding....cannot wait to buy more

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This marzen pours a dark brown color with a faint reddish hue. It has a fairly large, foamy, tan head. Like all Schlenkerla beers the smell is powerfully smoky. In this case it smell like nice smoked pork or possibly bacon. The scent is absolutely mouthwatering. The flavor is actually a little milder than the urbock or the eiche from what I can remember, but still intense compared to most other beers. There is a nice smoked pork flavor with some mild caramel malts and a bitter, slightly hoppy pine flavor in the finish. The finish is crisp, but there is a slight smokiness that lingers on the palette long after you have taken a sip. The body is medium. Like all the other beers of this brewery, drinking this is a very unique experience. That being said I think this particular offering is a little more one dimensional then some of the others and I think the malt to hops ratio should be increased a little bit in a beer like this. It’s still quite good though and imparts a strange nostalgia for me of growing up in the country. This is the flagship beer of this brewery and I think it is with good reason. I personally might like some of the even more bold examples from Schlenkerla more, but I think that this would be their beer that would appeal to the most people while still being an aggressively smoky rauchbier.

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass

Translucent brown, thick off white , creamy foam cap, three fingers high

Slight smoky aroma

Smoky malt taste . The beer itself is light to medium but the smoke adds so much to the body and flavor .Great bier to be paired with bbq. Nice accompaniment to a bacon cheeseburger on the grill

Repeatable and recommended with food pairings above

L: Pours a dark dark brown with an amber glow when held to the light, nice head, not to many bubbles
S: Hickory smoked wood, the smell of your napkin after eating bbq ribs, funky woody, liquid smoke
T: It literally tastes like smoked wood, this literally is smoked beer, tastes like the smell
F: Smooth feel, good carb, good balance
O: The taste grows on you but its very smoky, its definitley worth a try for the expierience but not sure if I'd buy it again. Although I havn't had to many Rauchbiers this to me is pretty good, its a fun beer.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smell: smoked meat, chocolate, roasted malt, ashy
Taste: rich mouth feel, meaty, slight fishy note
Finish: coffee, smoked salmon, dry smoke, dark chocolate
(bottle BB 10/2016)

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep amber with fluffy head. Aroma is ultra-smokey, like damp bonfire logs. It was a bit much for me. The taste is much lighter & more balanced, there is a solid medium pale malt presence & the smoke isn't abrasive but adds a nice edge to it. Feel is silky but just a tad thin & watery.

This beer is so interesting! I've never had anything like it before. It is brown in color and has a light off-white head. The aroma is intensely smokey. Literally smells like BBQ chips and a rib rub. It's a lovely smell if you like barbecue. You taste the smokiness in the first sip. Slightly bitter but enjoyable. The taste lingers on your tongue. This would be outstanding to pair with a smoked beef brisket or any type of barbecue. Honestly, I would even marinate my food in this beer! So strange but interesting. I don't know if I could have multiple in one sitting but I recommend everyone trying a sip at some point!

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

On the 1001, but can't find my notes.
I will review the next time I Have one, which is often.

Reviewed in Roger Protz' " 300 Beers To Try Before You Die!"

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

I'm trying to rate appropriately here - not a style that I have much experience with or one that I would reach for again, but man! This beer certainly is smokey. Pours real dark with good carbonation giving it a look similar to cola. Aroma and taste is all smoke, big malt, oak, charcoal and...meat? Like you're about to dig into smokey sausage while standing next to the open pit or drinking a malty lager in a chimney. Can't imagine this style being done any better but what do I know.

4.77/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours like motor oil. It's got a nice dark color to it. The head is fairly frothy. The nose is out of this world. The smoke smell is amazing. It reminds me of a BBQ. The taste is wow! So smoky. So intense. I know some can't handle this beer, but it is world class.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Look : Dark Amber Mahogany with Light Head

Smell : Smokey, forest - like smell, earthy

Taste: Malty, Smoke, Dried Fruit

Overall, not my favorite, but great for beer drinkers with taste for dark beer

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Nice dark colour with light carbonation. Pours a little head, not lasting long. Distinct smoky smell. Not a bad beer but the smokiness is all I taste. Not great.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dense, dark, crystal clear, mahogany-red-brown, and forms a 2-inch, tan, heavily-pocketed head. The collar settles in at 1/2 inch. The nose suggests sweet, smoky, extinguished campfires! Medium-light body with evident smoke notes and a slight bitterness on the palate. Malt does also show, albeit restrained by the smoke notes. The beer lingers very nicely, and is rather moreish. Light Belgian lace does form. This Raunchier would be a perfect pour to accompany BBQ foods with a slight char, or Smores for adults, for that matter . . .. Slight, palate-cleansing acidity makes it an excellent food accompaniment, although it will need food that can stand up to the beer's intensity. If BBQ is not available, it will also do well with smoked fatty fish.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours a very dark amber-mahogany, with a creamy off-white head. Though a bit difficult to tell given how dark it is, the beer is crystal clear. Nice lacing makes this look like everything I want in a hearty German lager, though perhaps they could dial back the specialty malts just a hair to showcase the clarity.

S: Smells like straight suckling pig on a spit. Smoke, forest, some dry earth/clay. There’s a nice bready maltiness at the backend that mixes in very well with the phenols.

T: More approachable than the nose would let on, with a nice savory phenolic character. The smoke is still there, but it gives way to a relatively clean bock-like maltiness. Cutting through the woody smoke is lots of dried fruits – figs, dates, apricots.

F: Medium body, medium-light carbonation and a ashiness mixed with a creamy mouthfeel.

Thoughts: Very cool beer with really interesting savory BBQ-like flavors and aromas. Never cloying or astringent, this was quite drinkable and almost seems the perfect beer to pair with grilled or smoked meat. I'd certainly buy this again.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla