Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,315 |  Reviews: 1,129
1.82/5  rDev -55.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Saw the bottle in the cooler and had to try it. A good looking bottle has to have good beer in it. Not at all what I had expected. I love Stone Smoked Porter. I figured since this was a German offering it had to be as good if not better. Alas, there are some things the Germans aren't good at. The pour looked real good, deep dark with a light head. The carbonation seemed nice. I'm not a fan of high carbed brews like Saisons. Then came the nose. Wow! I've thrown wet newspapers on a fire that had a better smell. A cross between Kipper snacks and smoked oysters. While I love both of those, that kind of smoke flavor doesn't work here. The taste, the same, that same nauceous smoke is on the tongue now. The mouth was extremely light. I had a hard time with this one so, needless to say, drinkability didn't impress me at all. I've had other smoke brews since, always going at them a little gun shy after this. However, none have been this bad. I'll stick to a Stone from now on.

1.89/5  rDev -53.4%

500ml Bottle from Peckhams, Glasgow (£2.75):
Reddish brown to mahogany colour with an inch tall, slightly off -white head that is quite bubbly and manages to stay quite well with only a slight reduction in size over the course of a few minutes.

The strangest smelling beer I have ever had and that was my opinion without giving it a proper whiff. There was an overpowering ham aroma right off the bat and that was almost putting me off trying it. It was quite smoky and had a little bit of wood in there once it began to open up a little. The only thing that was noticeable without really close inspection was the strong smell of cured ham and it wasn't all that pleasant.

A strong smoked taste to begin with, there is also some of the cured ham but thankfully it wasn't as strong as the aroma. There was a malty base to it along with some peat and wood to it. The meaty taste is one that lingers for some time after the sip and overall it was quite a strong flavoured beer and has quite a strong oak flavour to it.

Smooth and medium bodied with a strong wood feel to it. There is also a lingering meat and bitter flavour.

Not a good beer at all, this one had such a strange and unusual taste that it wasn't enjoyable at all. It was a hard one to get your head round as it basically tasted like a ham or broth and nothing like a beer for the most part. There was a smoky flavour in there but it wasn't a beer that I liked at all.

1.89/5  rDev -53.4%

After a good review from a friend and seeing a story on the brewery on tv i was excited to try this beer. I could not have imagined that after 350 reviews that this would be my first drain pour. Maybe I have weird taste buts but this almost made me sick.

This poured a beautiful dark ruby with a thin white head. The smell was of super strong wood smoke. It smelled liek burning rubber and at times it smelled like burnt BBQ. THe flavor was of burnt BBQ ribs. While the taste was not quite as bad as the smell it was still nasty. Tasted like rubber that was burnt to shit.
Feel was thin and carbonated.

This isn't working for me.

Again, maybe my tastebuds were weird that night or maybe it was a bad bottle.

1.99/5  rDev -51%

I like bacon, and I like beer. But I don't like bacon in my beer.

The first thing I noticed while pouring this brown beer was the overwhelming smoked smell. This was my first smoked beer, and I was taken by surprise. Hickory bacon and barbecue sauce dominate the nose.

The taste was extremely smoky. Again, bacon, and lots of it, cooked over a campfire. Am I drinking beer or having a drunk cowboy's breakfast? I just needed to slap on some spurs and start telling folk stories around the campfire.

I couldn't finish this beer. I'll be sure to keep away from beers labeled "smoked" in the near future. Maybe when I'm older I'll revisit them. And maybe I'll look for ones in smaller bottles.

2.02/5  rDev -50.2%

This was my first smoked beer to review and I must say that is not a favorite class for me. The poor review is more a reflection of the dislike of the class than the quality of beer itself.

A. A deep amber color with a healthy head. The head dissipates while leaving good lacing.

S. Like liquid smoke. Burnt malt.

T. Wow, hard to handle. like licking a smoked porkchop.

M. Except for the taste not bad.

D. Not great. However, over in Germany is was often said that you must have more than one. Follow the first with a shot of schnapps and then it gets better.

2.15/5  rDev -47%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

2.2/5  rDev -45.8%

2.21/5  rDev -45.6%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a very dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of smoked meats. Taste is unlike anything I have had before. Smoke, bacon, meaty, I can see where it would appeal to some but I was unable to finish it. Feels medium bodied and unpleasant in the mouth and overall I did not enjoy it at all.

2.22/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours a dark dark ruby with a white head. Smells of smokiness, almost like bacon. Tastes of salty smoked bacon and some maltiness. Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Overall I can see this being a great beer for the style, but I can honestly say this style is not really for me. I'd love to try others of this style though.

2.23/5  rDev -45.1%

My wife is German, but from the North. There they have all kinds of local Pilsner, but not specialties like Icebeer or Smoked Beers. So when we found this Franconian specialty, of course the temptation was huge to try this. Other beer connaisseurs warned us, but she could not resist and bought it. Luckily just one single bottle!

Poured darkred-brown into mug, thick off-white head crowning. The smokey aroma is noticeable already.

The first sip hits, full smokey now.

Foam is thick and creamy, but is vanishing fast. After 2 minutes it is completely gone, leaving behind a very thin layer. But there is a lot of lacing.

The taste is so heavily smokey, it is overwhelming any other tastes and aromas.

Mouthfeel is ashtray-y.

Taste is not improving with time.

Bitter aftertaste, but smoke is still overwhelmingly on top. I imagine I drank from an ashtray.

I wonder how this beer would taste if it was blended with something milder?

This reminds me of Tarry Lapsang Souchong, a chinese smoked tea that tastes very similar to this beer. That tea cannot be enjoyed purely, but when blended 20/80 with milder teas from China, India and Ceylon, it becomes a wonderful delicassy.
Now I really wonder how this Franconian beer would perform if it was blended with milder beers, or even sodas.

If I ever get another bottle of this brew, I will definately mix it to try some improvements. It is not enjoyable to drink this pure. You might as well lick an ashtray.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla