Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,324 |  Reviews: 1,134
2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

2.32/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Coming from a man completely estranged from the "smokebeer" category, I find this undrinkable. I'm hoping there's a more approachable beer in the category, because this simply tasted like smoke

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

--Regular 1 pint brown bottle, no freshness date to be found.
--Poured a dark ruby like in color. Started out with a nice head that quickly dissipated to almost nothing.
--Smelled a smell I have never had before. Obviously a smoky smell that was comparable to smoked salmon.

This was my first foray into a rauchbier and, as one of the brothers stated, either you like it or you don't. Unfortunataly I am not quite ready for this taste yet. It tasted like it smelled and was almost overpowering to me. Maybe I am naive but I have tried smoked beers and that is the taste that I expected. This was just too much for me as the smell and taste still lingered long after I had finished the beer. Later on, as my skills progress, I would like to try another one.
Thx

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

Not a fan. But it's probably me, and not the beer. Beautiful dark brown, nearly black, pour with a nice medium bubble carbonation. Smell was smokey and pleasant. I was a bit startled at the level of smoke aroma and it was all I could detect. Taste was unbearably of cough medicine. I'm talking the stuff from the 60's that made no attempt to hide its medicinal qualities. I tried to pick out other flavors, but I just couldn't. A little thin on the palate.

This is by far one of the most unique beers I've ever tried. I REALLY wanted to like it, but I couldn't. Again, "It's not you, baby, It's me."

2.37/5  rDev -41.6%

Appearance: Caramel, amber color, thin bodied and transparent
Aroma: spices, beef jerky, cured meat extremely strong
Taste: just like it smells, beef jerky heavy with lingering smoke flavors

2.39/5  rDev -41.1%

Purchased this 500ml bottle at the LCBO for just under $4.00.

A- Excellent! Opened very well, poured high with head with a very dark rich looking foam

S- Very good. Hints of smoke shine through along with herbs

T- Absolutely horrible. Worst beer by far I have had. I tried but ended up pouring down the sink after 5 sips. This one is smoky in a fake flavor sort of way

M- Pretty good but it just doesn't help the taste factor

O- The taste dragged this one down badly. Just a personal choice

Food Pairing

I didn't even want to have a 6th sip let alone eat something.

2.46/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier A very smoked German marzen. I had a small sample of this on tap, and thank god, because there was no way I could have finished a pint. Heavily smoked flavor and aroma. Do not think a roaring fire in your fireplace smoked, think great Chicago fire smoked. Just a hint of molasses taste, but to me it way to much smoke. Not for the faint of heart. I tweaked the numbers up, a little because this is clearly a well made beer, but It reminded me off dgging through my friends apartment after it had been burnt to the ground.

2.48/5  rDev -38.9%

Well first of all, I'm not a rauchbier fan, so take this review as a review from an outsider.

The beer looks good. A little thin dark brown pour. Smells decent. If salty had a smell, it would be it. The taste is tough to swallow. Salty smoked sausage? Maybe some bacon. Tastes like beer made with day old breakfast meat. Mouthfeel comes off the same way, like you've got old liquid meat in your mouth. As a result its not very drinkable.

The weird thing, I love grilling, bacon, sausage. Just not as part of my beer. Who knows, maybe I'll try this again when my palate is more developed. Heaven knows SN porter and stout were tough for me 10 years ago, now I love them. . .

2.49/5  rDev -38.7%

Imperial Pint Bottle: This beer pours an almost clear, brown color. There was about no head to it, although it was a little carbonated. The aroma was smokey, even bordering on the aroma of smoked fish. Nothing else seems to be able to get through. The taste is smokey also. A bit of maltiness in the background. This just doesn’t get it for me.

2.5/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Although there is a decent malt backbone to somewhat counteract the smokiness here, I find the smoke far too overpowering. It dulls the taste of everything and really kills any hop character. I like it slightly more than the Weizen version because of the more robust malts, but neither are particularly to my taste.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla