Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,096 | Ratings: 2,231
3.05/5  rDev -24.9%

16.9 oz bottle. Pours amber brown with a medium creamy off-white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is smokey malts of the liquid smoke variety with some sweet BBQ.

The flavor is sweet plasticky (esp in the finish) caramel malts and smoke (a little BBQ) with charred roast. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and a little watery.

Overall, lots of smoke, but it's a bit thin with some off notes.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice two finger creamy head which lasts a long time, nice sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is malty, smoked big time, toffee, and caramel. The taste is malty, smokey, with nice touch of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, the taste reminds me of sardines, so because of this I would not buy again.

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Smokin'!!!

..........but not for me. More like creosote and badly burnt toast.

My first smoked beer and I'm going to keep away from them from now onwards.

3.07/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a bottle into my Duvel tulip glass.

Smell: This was immediately noticeable and the first thing to strike me. The beer smells like smoked meat. Worchestire and liquid smoke. This will either be really bad, or surprisingly good. I'll try to rate it based on what this style is supposed to be, not personal preference.

Appearance: Dark like a dopplebock, ruby brown in color, practically no head, no lacing. The beer leaves a film when swirled, as if there will be a lot of sugary malts.

Taste: Have you ever had baby back pork ribs grilled over an open beach fire? Thats what this beer tastes like. It's semi sweet, very smokey. The taste and immediate aftertaste would be fine if the longer aftertaste didn't leave a lingering bitterness that seems out of place with the smoothe smoke and sweeter foretaste.

Mouthfeel: Average. It's a bit bubbly, nothing special nor horrible.

Drinkability: I won't finish this bottle. This is either a taste I have not yet acquired, or the beer itself just isn't enjoyable enough. I'll likely try the style again in the future to see if I like it more, but this one is mediocre at best.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a reddish cola brown with a 2 cm tan head heavily leaned towards the white end. The head reduces to a whitish algae-like covering that slides about on the surface (not a bacterial infection, I'm just getting tired of describing this as lace-like).

Smells of smoking wood, bacon, my sweatshirt after sitting by a campfire, with some buried bales of hay.

The mouthfeel is slightly slick with a low amount of carbonation.

Taste? Smoky. The whole thing is like a mouthful of wood smoke. This smoky taste lingers on into the aftertaste, becoming the aftertaste. This aftertaste lingers on in your mouth, causing your wife to make comments about 'eating bacon this late at night.' Part way through, the smokiness seems to get filtered out somewhat by my brain, allowing me to discern a touch of honey sweetness.

It's ok. Looks good, smells pretty much as expected etc etc. In general, an interesting rauchbier, but not distinguished enough for me. Just better than average in most regards, but still just a run of the mill brew as far as I'm concerned.

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

We were enjoying a fun Friday afternoon at Grand Cru as I stopped inside to pick up a round. I got a few framboise for the ladies and perused the stash for my next. I ended up deciding on Schlenkerla mainly because I had a tasty rauch the week before at ABC.

As I poured the murky blood brown liquid into my plastic serving cup, everyone became interested in the new brew with the interesting labeling. I passed it around for sniffs and potential samples. The first sampler wrinkled her nose with disgust, "Ugh, oh my god, it just smells like hell. This framboise is heaven, I don't know what that is." The second sampler took a whiff, then he took a long drag. "Mmm, like snapping into a slim jim."

I sniffed, thinking that it was alot like smoked salmon, and took a sip. Not bad, like an overly smokey BBQ, with some tobacco and ashy backgrounds. Thought that it would require some more sweetness or complexity in there to make it more drinkable. Nice to sample, don't know if I'll be coming back to it. It would make an excellent backbone to a BBQ sauce.

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a thin beige head, over a clear reddish brown black body. Aroma is primarily smoke, with a bit of grilled meat, and sweet malts. Taste initially is toffee, then balanced by smoke and then mild hop bitterness Mouthfeel is relatively light, carbonation low. Smoked beers are interestingly different from each other. This one is a campfire in a glass. Can't stay this is my style of beer.

3.12/5  rDev -23.2%

500ml bottle purchased from LCBO in Toronto. Pours a clear, medium brown with no head and a bit of carbonation. Aroma reminiscent of a smoky fireplace. Taste is of malts, quickly replaced by a smoky aftertaste, which is not as dominating as I was fearing. The beer went down pretty nicely in the end, and I must admit I was a bit terrified about drinking this one based on some of the reviews I read. On the other hand, my wife just told me that I smell like cigarettes. Not my cup of tea (or pack of smokes), but interesting to try. Would love to see what their smoky weizen is like.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

Tasted alongside the urbock. Pours a deep brown with a finger of quickly dying head and wisps of lacing.

The aroma is pure campfire smoke. Waking up at 7 am after a night of drinking by the fire hair smell. Some coffee grinds in there as well.

The flavor is a bit lighter on the smokiness. Somewhat watery actually underneath the initial layer of smoke. Not as deep as the urbock and truthfully not really noteworthy. No "off" flavors at all which is a positive, but not really many "on" flavors either.

The body is medium and a bit watery. Carbonation is high but not stinging.

Overall this is a decent enough beer, but not one that I would really feel the desire to drink again.

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up on a whim. Not too familiar with german beers and was rated phenomenally so I gave it a shot.

Picked up a bottle for 5.99, which I thought would be fair for how great this thing appeared to be.

The appearance after the pour is great. Heavy, dark, brownish head, just looks like a man's beer that's waiting to be sipped on and slowly enjoyed. Just a fine specimen.

After the poor I took a great big wiff, and my god. It smells like someone brewed this through their armpit hair. The "smoke" scent was horrid. Had I spoke or been able to read german I probably would have known this was a smoked beer and expected a smoke scent..but its forever in my brain as what BO smells like.

The taste was much better than the smell...but the smell still kills it and it lingers with the taste. I'm afraid to hold it in my mouth for more than a few seconds but when I do I don't regret it. I can taste the charred wood and the piss smell starts to dissipate...its not bad whatsoever until the aftertaste kicks in at least.

The mouth feel is phenomenal. Heavy, thick, but smooth and feel good. Much comfort in my gums and underside of my tongue. I almost don't want to swallow.

Overall this brew is overhyped in my opinion. Its a work of art, but the scent just destroys it. It smells like piss, I'm sorry but it does. I'm going to try and finish it though, we'll see where my opinion takes me towards the end of it.

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

Look : Dark Amber Mahogany with Light Head

Smell : Smokey, forest - like smell, earthy

Taste: Malty, Smoke, Dried Fruit

Overall, not my favorite, but great for beer drinkers with taste for dark beer

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

I was really looking forward to this one after reading the reviews. In short, a must try. But, I couldn't drink more than one. It poured a beautiful dark amber with a 2 inch creamy head. It smelled of smoke. Like others have said, imagine the smell of a BBQ. The taste was OK. VERY unique. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't incredible either. The aftertaste is what turned me off. It really left a taste of smoke in my mouth that I couldn't help but associate with a tailgate. Hours later, I still tasted it. Overall, this is a "must try at least once" beer.

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

500 ml of rauchbier. Into a pint.

A - Dark brown to black in the center, amber on the edges. A fairly dark roasted beer. Carbonation appears fairly strong, evidenced by the bubbling. Head formation is light and mocha colored.

S - Obviously one of the strongest attributes of the style. Very smoked, very burnt smell. Something akin to a hard charcoal. What my clothes smell like after hanging out around the campfire.

T - Starts with a fairly light flavor of bitter and spiced edginess. The smoky flavors are very muted right now. Mid-stream is fairly undefined. The smoke/burnt flavors don't come into play until the finish and the aftertaste. Interesting way that it plays out. Aftertaste is unusual, with a off sweetness combined with the liquid smoke flavors.

M - Not as crisp as I would have found for the style. Very watery and thin. Aftertaste is very coating however.

D - One at a time is all I can say. ABV is manageable, but the
beer feels more like an interesting change of pace than a session beer. The more I drink it, the more I'm not sure the smoky flavors are all that desirable in a beer.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a deep amber with fluffy head. Aroma is ultra-smokey, like damp bonfire logs. It was a bit much for me. The taste is much lighter & more balanced, there is a solid medium pale malt presence & the smoke isn't abrasive but adds a nice edge to it. Feel is silky but just a tad thin & watery.

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%

This is an interesting one - it looks, smells, and tastes like a standard Dunkel, say König Ludwig, but it has a really powerful, and enjoyable, smokey aftertaste, for all the world like decent Hessian Ahle Wurst. I tried the bottled version but I'm sure the smoke-bomb is even stronger on tap (and Bamberg looks like a great spot for a beer holiday). I'm still not sure whether to view this as a novelty beer or a precious classic, but if you're a fan of cured meat and good beer and you'd like to see the two combined, then Schlenkerla Rauchbier is for you!

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours with a rich, creamy, off-white head that dissipates gradually; fair degree of stickiness before sliding back into the beer. Beer is a chestnut brown color with great clarity and a few swift streamers. Transparent and bright when held to light, with slightly orangish highlights. Aroma is of smoke--not tobacco, but food smoke. There's also a subtle salinity, suggesting smoked seafood (especially oysters) and further back, the heat of freshly sawn wood (cedar). Taste is more smoke but stunningly light upon the roof of the mouth, along with what I originally thought was cedar, until I read that the wood for the fire is beechwood--yes, beechwood is more accurate. Beef or venison jerky, liquid smoke, and very salty. I am new to the style, but I just don't see much diversity here and presently I got tired of the flavor. Mouthfeel is light and wet with a minerally finish and really not much aftertaste. As far as drinkability, I'm sure this goes great with smoked food, sharp cheese, etc. but on its own? I don't need another.

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%

Look, this is the my first of the style, and if this beer is supposedly as good as others say it is, it will be my last. It pours a nice color with a medium head and very good lacing. The smell is all smoke--so much so that I can barely taste the "bacon" and "meat" that others rave about. But then again, if I wanted to smell meat, I would buy meat. The taste, in my [maybe naïve and unsophisticated}opinion is drowned out by smokiness. Some reviewers have congratulated this beer for its complexity and for the smoke flavor for being nuanced, but what I find is smokiness that has gotten out of control. I love a beer with some character, and there's nothing more attractive than a beer that compliments both a campfire and a steak at the same time. But this just seems to go too far and in the process loses the complexity that some are convinced that it has.

3.27/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

500ml bottle bought on sale (I couldn't find a date on the bottle, but I assume it was at least a little old). Reasonable carbonation when opening. Poured a dark brown, with a beautiful foamy light-brown head. I could smell smoke in the aroma, and I could taste the smoke in the beer as well. It was a decent tasting German beer, and I liked the smoke in the flavor. I enjoyed drinking it for the first few sips, but then I found myself drinking it simply because it was the only beer in front of me at the moment. It turns out, I decide not to finish it. It tasted a little old, and so my guess is it would taste better fresh. I had the dopplebock version of this beer earlier this summer, and I liked that one much better.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

A: dark brown / copper with a light tan head.
S: smoke, bacon, malt.
T: Hickory smoke, bacon, bitterness. Bitterness lingers in the after taste, but not as much as one would suspect. Body not as full as I would hope for. Light bubbles of carboration.
A nice beer to drink in front of a fireplace or just to get in a "rustic" mood.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Smoked salmon. Smoked kippers. Smoked sardines. Smoke any seafood, I would guess, and you've got the aroma of this deep chestnut brown ale that arrived from the tap with virtually no head at all. The taste matched the smell; it started off with a tart, vinegar-like initial blast, heavily salted, all of which fortunately mellowed as the schlenkurla malts rose up and insinuated themselves towards the finish, at which point I was able to appreciate the underlying complexity of this ale. There's some forest foundation, like an old campfire, but also some subtle sweetness (a sweet and sour seafood dish, heavy on the sour, and cooked outside over an open fire--that's the best I can do)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed 07/01/10
Poured from bottle to new belgium tulip.

A: Dark brown and deep ruby. No head. No visible bubbles. Excellent clarity.

S: Smells like a campfire. Very comforting and embodying of outdoors experience. I would argue, for the style, over smoked.

T: Super smokey. Great for pairing with sausage lunch. Would pair well with sauerkraut or other acidic foods. Mostly like liquid smoke.

M: When chilled, a bit awkward as the body is medium light with quite a dry finish. Much more enjoyable as the beer warms - the smoke is more appropriate as it warms.

D: Good beer for times when longing for the outdoors, childhood memories and for occassional novelty beer. Nice, nice beer. Not among the top of the smoke beers IMO. Although, having been to Geramany, the rauchbier's are much better there.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Got a couple of 500 mL bottles of this smokey brew at the LCBO a few weeks back. This is the first of two.

Poured a deep red or earthy brown colour into a pint glass, with a big frothy cappucino head. As the foam faded, left lots of sticky foam residue on the glass.

Smell is SMOKE and smoked meat -- bacon, pork -- along with some strong charcoal flavours. Hard to discern anything else out of it because of how powerful the smokey smells are.

Same with the taste -- charcoal, campfire, smoked meat. Very little carbonation. Actually, I found the flavour of this beer somewhat disappointing and simple. In addition, the beer looks thick, but in actuality is a little watery. And, surprisingly for such a powerfully strong beer, there's not much of an aftertaste (although what's there is just bacon, bacon, bacon).

I didn't drop the drinkability of this beer too much, since it's supposed to taste like it does, but I sure couldn't drink a lot of them (or even more than one, really). Definitely worth trying, but I don't think I'm a big fan, and I definitely prefer the lighter, more complex Bieropholie Calumet (reviewed earlier).

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This brew poured out as a brown color, there was a decent head at first but went away quickly. The smell of the beer is a super smokey, It was like being near a fire or something. The taste brought the same smoked strength onto the tongue for a salty bacon-like experience. The mouthfeel was pretty smooth though and was drinkable enough to finish my glass. The beer overall isn't really my favorite style. I think sometimes the smoke is too much and it hinders the brew. I try to give each of these a fair chance.

3.32/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a dark, clear brown color. Thin tan head. Aroma is thick, smoky and rich. A very sincere peaty aroma combined with a campfire and smoked meatiness. The flavor isn't as intense, and I am appreciative. The peat, campfire and smoky bacon give way to some slight malt and general beer flavor. The body feels fuller because of the scent and flavor intensity. Not much of a Rauchbier lover. This one falls right in line with the rest of them for me. Hey, at least this brewery go full bore and christens you with smokey meat and peat. Don't love it but I suppose I respect it.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Notes from 09/15/2010:

500 mL bottle at 45 degrees into a 20 oz mug.

A: It pours a dark brown color with a half-finger of head that has great retention and lacing.

S: Strong smokiness, country ham, charcoal pit, and burnt bacon.

T: Some caramel and bread malt flavors, bacon, and campfire.

M: It has a medium body thickness and feels quite oily (like bacon grease). Gross.

D: I would like to do some food pairings with this but I don't really care for it by itself.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla