Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,316 |  Reviews: 1,130

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

They weren't kidding when they classify this as a "smoked beer". Drank straight from the bottle, reminded me of smoke kielbasa around a campfire. Pleasant beer to drink. Very crisp and easy to drink beer.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

1 pt. 9 oz bottle served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear dark crimson topped by a frothy offwhite head. Not very long lasting, either, it recedes to a film in about a minute, then goes away completely about 10 minutes later. Little blobs of lacing are left on the glass, but they are short lived as well.

Smell: Intense smoked meat aroma, ham I'd say. Mmm.. ham. There are some caramelized sugar smells in the background.

Taste: Carbonated jerky!!! Nuff said.

Ok, actually there is a great marzen lurking beneath the surface of this beer. Definitely a darker style then a plain marzen. Toasted malts are in greater proportion than the caramelized.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with surprisingly little aftertaste.

Drinkability: Get some jerky and have a festival of smoked flavors!! I couldn't see myself drinking too many bottles in one sitting, but I can definitely see me having this again and again. Betcha this would make a kick ass marinade.

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a dark, yet translucent cocoa brown with a sliver of a cream-colored head. The froth clings nicely to the glass as it goes down. Very appropriate look.

The nose is very pleasant with brown sugar, and a smoked umami characteristic. The caramelized and smoky taste intermingled well with the saltiness of my German-style brunch. It was also light bodied and low enough in alcohol to consume early in the day.

The finish is that of dry, woody charcoal and mild, but earthy hops. If you are a fan of Rauchbiers, this is one of the finest examples of the style.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%

Found this gem at The Wine Seller in Williamsburg. Poured into a Lowenbrau mug.

A - Deep chestnut/ruby coloration which glows brightly in the light. Somewhat transparent. Made a two tip head which displayed great retention, the lacing was spotty and at points did a spiderweb effect.

S - Zomg. Smoked sausage, bacon, fire, smoke, absolutely yummily amazing.

T - Definite Oktoberfest-style malt base and flavor profile initially, even a substantially watery body, then very subtly at first the smokiness creeps in. After a mere moment the flavors flood the palate and overtake the body. Delicious.

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation level, smokey (duh) aftertaste.

D - I truly love this beer. I can imagine how perfect it would be with pulled pork bbq and smoked ribs, unfortunately I currently only have baked potato pringles. I need more, and you need to try it. Just do it.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

I could smell the embers immediately upon opening. Wow! Super smoky and much more than the Weizen I tried recently. Dark and brown reminds me of a glass of coke with the ice melted. Same exact color. Short fluffy head but dissapears quickly. Taste is smoky, malty and sweet. I can't find any hops in this one. Again, aroma is real smoky like a smoked bacon or beef. I like this beer but I also am a fan of smoked foods. You'll most likely have to be in order to appreciate this style.

4.74/5  rDev +16.7%

This has to be the most fascinating things i've ever had. Being the first Rauchbier i've had, i'm very very fascinated. This looks good, dark brown with a nice amount of lacing. Smell is like, campfire. With hints of a smoked sausage, totally delicious. Taste is absolutely phenomenal. This would go so so well with a side of summer sausage. carbonation is just right and delivers the aromas just perfectly. Drinkability is pretty good, but for some the aftertaste might be a bit too much. Personally this ranks among the best i've ever tasted. Very unique and quite flavorful. I'm getting some of these next time I have a barbecue.

2.83/5  rDev -30.3%

Wow. Being a fan of American smoked porters, I was excited to try a rauchbier. I don't think anything could have prepared me for this one, save a bottle of KC Masterpiece. The beer pours a transparent dark brown/red color with a thin white head. Good retention and lacing. The smell is pure smoked hickory, jerky, and anything else you would find at a barbecue pit.

Unfortunately the taste is the same. It is straight-up smoked meat, hickory, and barbecue sauce. I tried very hard to decipher "beer" qualities (like hops or malt) and just couldn't find them. I'm sorry to say I had a very difficult time even finishing this beer. The taste is that pungent. But I do understand what this beer is trying to accomplish, and appreciate its uniqueness, which is why I didn't slam its score. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp.

If you know what you're getting into, love barbecued food (enough to drink it), or want a completely new beer experience, try this rauchbier. Personally it was a little too much for me to handle, and has probably made me gun shy toward other rauchbiers out there. I'll stick to the American smoked.

3.9/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Found it here, bottle 0,5 l

A - Dark red color with two finger foam, standing long enough.
S - Bacon.
T/M - Like you drinking bacon. Bitter, low carbonation.

O - Very strong and strange taste.

3.94/5  rDev -3%

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml brown bottle without freshness dating.

Pours crystal clear mahogany with half inch of creamy head that slowly recedes to film and medium lace. Smells fragrantly smoky, a bit greasy, grainy. Light malt sweetness on the front of the tongue. Slightly chewy grains in the center. Finishes with very clean and appetizing smokiness that isn't overwhelming. The dichotomy between the smoke and cool clean finish is shocking at first, but quite mouth-watering after a few sips. Taste light and well-balanced between cream and carbonation. My favorite of the Heller-Trum beers so far. Delicious and easy-drinking.

A: Foam gushing out of the top of the bottle. Cola brown. Frothy off-white head.

S: Smoked bacon.

T: Very chocolaty. Smokey bacon. Half sweet. Vinous chocolaty aftertaste.

M: Very lively.

O: Not as bacon tasting as other Rauchbiers I've had. Pretty good but not something I'd have without food.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%

I do not like the smell from start, it smells like smoked kielbasa. I like kielbasa but this smell burned my nose hairs. I love Marzen beer but the smoked effect is not my style. I still recognize this beer is a clasic for the smoked type, that's why I gave it a curved score. It is smooth and goes down easy and the finish is also good, but that smell get's to me.

3.25/5  rDev -20%

3.96/5  rDev -2.5%

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance- Darker brown though still transparent enough to see through, thin quickly disappearing white head, light carbonation

Smell- Lots of smoke and faint smells of malts trying to kick through as best they can

Taste- Smoked campfire taste matching the smell, slight maltiness, as smoke fades you pick up bit of malts and even tad of hops on the finish, THIS IS A LONG FINISHING BEER,

Mouthfeel- Smooth lingering feeling

Drinkability- I imagine this could be a good sipping beer paired with the proper foods, not something personal I could see drinking often or alot but definitely and interesting try

4.1/5  rDev +1%