Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier MärzenAecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany | website

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Reviews: 1,096 | Ratings: 2,231
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 16.9 fl oz bottle with no freshness date, Brewed According to the Reinheitsgebot 1516 on the label.

Appearance: Dark ruby red amber with a well preserving tan lace, quite inviting to the eye.

Smell: Same smokiness you would get off of a smoked ham or salmon somewhat strong to the nose but not overwhelming, faint malt sweetness also.

Taste: Silky smooth beyond belief, medium to full in body with a mildly chewy malt mouth feel. Smoke character is obviously dominant though some malt sweetness persuades the taste buds. Hop bitterness gives a light bitter twang that keeps everything in perspective. Flavours of smoke malt flex from beginning to end, vague caramel sweetness and a grainy finish wrap this brew up.

Notes: Clean to the taste, smoke everywhere and the quintessential smoked beer that is imported to the US. It’s worth the $3 a bottle, an awesome pairing with a slow cooked Boston Butt a.k.a. pulled pork sandwich on an onion bulky roll. Even a contrast pairing of an aged sharp cheddar cheese would be nice.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours an opaque yet still clear very dark brownish amber in color with light to moderate amounts of fine active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and a moderate amount of cola brown and garnet highlights. The beer has a half finger tall foamy light beige head that reduces to a large patch of thick film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of smoked malts, specifically a smoke that is similar to what I would expect when smoking sausages or bacon.

T: Upfront there are light flavors of roasted and caramel malts with a moderate to strong flavor of smoked malts. Light notes of leather and just a hint of iodine flavors from the smoking of the malts. Light bitterness in the finish which fades quickly.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very smooth.

O: Very interesting smoke aromas and flavors in this beer without being overwhelming. Very enjoyable, especially for someone that enjoys smoke and pretty easy to drink. Pairs well with smoked sausages.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Deep ruby tone with a very appeasing tan foaming fluffy head, exquisite lacing surrounding the pint. Aroma: Well, I know this sounds weird but this beer smells of a tender smoked bacon with semi sweet roasted tones barely creeping through, oh so unique just straight up different and the orginator of smoked bier. Taste: It's so strange drinking a mildly sweet liquid that has a big kick of smoked meat in the flavor doesn't seem like it should be drinkable or even blend together but it does. Mouthfeel: Medium body decent carbonation not a bad brew at all, definitely a new definition of smoked bier. Drinkability: Suprisingly goes down pretty well I think it's damn good such a complex flavor picking out smoked flavors still brewed in the same tradition this is pretty amazing stuff be ready for something new if you try it.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: This beer appears a mahogany brown hue with crimson highlights. The head is about an inch thick and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S: The beer smells like a campfire, similar to an Islay scotch, but not nearly as boozy, of course. Scents include smoke, malt, peat, earth.

T: The flavor is fantastic, with a prominent smoke taste that is right on the money. Well balanced and delicious.

M: The feel is fairly thin bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

D: This brewery sets the bar for rauchbiers. When I have a hankering for a rauchbier, Schlenkerla brews are the first thing that comes to mind.

4.52/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It was Veterans' Day 2013 and my buddy, Justin Chlan had off due to working for a DoD contractor and knew that I take the day off because I feel that I should have it off as a USN veteran. He invited me along on an excursion to State Line Liquors in Elkton, MD where I came across this in a 5L mini-keg, or CAN, according to this site, since it is not pressurized. A CAN?!? I was really excited, even when they told me its cost. I put it in my basement, inverted, per the directions on the side and yesterday, SU, 15 March 2015, I brought it over to The Fridge for another of Bro. Woody's Pop-Up B&G episodes.

From the CAN: "Brewed according to the Bavarian Purity Law"; "<ges. gesch>"; "Brauhaus for Schlenkerla with Dominifanerflaue [sic?] <1310>"; "During transport and storage, please this side up. (Turn for tapping)"; "For optimal pouring please tap at 40F."; "Original Schlenkerla Smokebeer Specialty since 1678"; "Aecht Original Schenkerla Maerzen Smokebeer, considered the classic example in its category, has been brewed for centuries in the baroque town of Bamberg in Franconia (Bavaria/Germany). Following the most ancient malting traditions, all its select barley malts are kilned over a fire of beech wood logs at the Schlenkerla maltings. Brewed in classic copper vessels and matured for months in historic cellars, Aecht Schlenkerla is a truly unique smoky beer experience."

Once I had it vented and the tap pulled out and ready to engage, I tried to hold the glasses three-to-four inches away to try and create some head. We were seeing about a finger of soapy, light-tan head that pretty quickly fell to wisps. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with a dense cloudiness that made it look like a cup of mess decks mud (coffee). Clarity? None. Zero. Zilch. Nose had a sweet, smoky scent like cured bacon or sweet Lebanon bologna, if that means anything to people outside of my hometown area in central PA. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light, given the turbidity that was visible. Light as in medium, but not what I was expecting. As to the taste, it was smoky, but not as smoky as their Ur-Bock or some other famous commercial examples, like Alaskan Smoked Porter. It was really kind of cool to go around and turn people onto this style and get their reactions. Most people were pleasantly surprised and wanted to try other iterations of either Aecht Shlenkerla's Rauchbiers or other rauchbiers in general. The finish had a smoky sweetness that was very evocative of sweet Lebanon bologna, which if you have never tried it, you should because it is hard to explain otherwise. I am glad that I CAN add it to The CANQuest (tm), but I prefer a bit more smokiness, thank you.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a very dark amber with 2 finger head of barely off-white foam. Leaves quite a bit of lacing on the glass. As soon as you crack this beast open you know you are dealing with something a little different. You don't even have to breath through your nose and you can easily pick up on the smokiness in the nose. I can't fight my way through it, all I smell is delicious smokey... nay very smokey bacon. Taking a sip, I am immediately thinking of a delicous roast beef dinner with gravy. What the hell is this, dinner in a bottle? Finish is a little bitter but the smoke remains in your mouth long after you have taken a sip. Another noticable feature is a bit of a metallic taste. The bottle is labled as a marzen but you could easily lie to me and tell me it is something else. I guess if you took away the smokey flavor it might taste like a marzen but I am too caught up in the beefy taste to tell what it is. About all this beer has to offer that is like a marzen is the color, and even that looks like it has been set on fire and burnt a little.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours deep reddish amber with a thick off-white head. Lacing sticks to the glass.

A strong smokiness, like smoked pork is the first obvious aroma. A hint of caramel sweetness lies underneath.

The taste is very smoky. Smoked, lightly salted, pork with a woody touch, remains firm throughout the drink. It mixes with sweet caramel. Just enough earthy hops keep it in balance. It finishes clean, and the smokiness lasts in a long aftertaste.

It's very smooth. Medium-bodied. Has a nice texture to it.

This is a great accompaniment to a smoked sausage or other meats. A nice fall barbecue beer. I've had it alone, and it's good for what it is - can be a bit much, but to complement the right food, it's very good.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Dark, clear, coppery color, the perfect hue for a marzen, with abundant foam atop, creamy, and leaving lace. Beautiful looking glass of beer.
Aroma: bacon. Big malt, sweetness, but mostly smoke, cured ham, smoked salmon, memories of meat.
This continues into the taste, and joins the palate most pleasantly. Crowds the mouth with sensation. Juicy malt, a fine marzen lies underneath, and is treated well with the smoking.
Much milder than other rauchbiers, the smoke playing gently, it's at the fore, but never too much.
Medium bodied, but fully flavored, with a mild, malty finish. Tasty.
A remarkable experience, and unforgettable beer.

Pours a clear dark brown with ruby highlights and a creamy beige head that recedes to a cap but sticks around forever. Smells like a brisket that's been smoking away for 14 hours. Well actually it smells more like the smoke than the brisket. I strain and maybe think I find some caramel or toffee underneath, but the smoke is powerful and hides anything else that is in there. I now understand why some people say smoked smells like bacon. The taste is rich malty and creamy with a heavy hand of smoke. There are some sweet malts in there; caramel, toffee, and maybe some brown sugar in the taste. Lightly carbonated, medium body. I would have to say this must be an acquired taste. I can appreciate it for what it is, but I can't imagine myself enjoying many of these. I think its very well done, but not for me.

3.97/5  rDev -2.2%

Not as smoke forward as some other Schlenkerla beers but still very much so. Some caramel and chocolate sweetness is also around with just enough hop bitterness to keep things interesting.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

On tap at Church Key into a tumbler.

Having had this in the bottle the biggest difference is the appearance and smell. This beer's retention and head staying power is insane. Super sheets of lacing and the head doesn't go anywhere. The head even on tilt sticks to the glass in chunks so much that this beer looks like a freak show.

The smell is intensely more smokey and bacony than from the bottle. But it has all the great qualities (smoke, bacon, jerky, some mild salt) out of the bottle also but a little more dense body.

Overall on tap or in the bottle this beer just delivers in spades. Super drinkable and just meets expectations in feel all around.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

I told everyone that I would give these beers another chance, figure out what's great about them and re-review them accordingly so here it begins. Available on draft at a local beer bar, I had to try it again, even though I have nothing but horrible bad memories of this beer, lets do it again.

Beer is dark brown, but still see through, minimal head, tiny bubbles, sticks close to glass, some lacing on the glass.

This beer smells like bacon, hickory, salt, smoke, smoke, smoke.

This beer tastes like salted and smoked pork. It is relatively smooth, not as bad as I recalled. Medium body, drinkability average, I still don't think I could get through a whole lot of this.

So this is probably the best rauch I've ever had and I may be coming around on this style and these beers because I finished it and I understood it. I still didn't rank it as high as most but I think I'm beginning to understand the general appeal.

3.94/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16.9 ouncer, poured a rich shade of almond, tan head, clear, malty smokey nose, taste here obviously is smokey. Basically tastes like a smoke house. Interesting, complex stuff, I doubt this brew is for everybody, but as I like smoked food, smoking foods and BBQ in general, I enjoy this stuff. I doubt I'd enjoy more then one or two.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%

16.9 oz bottle on numerous occasions

A - Dark deep amber in color with minimal, subtle tan head.

S - This beer smells amazing. If you enjoy the smell of smoke and/or smoked things you will find this aroma exciting.

T - The smokiness is most prominant, with some swet maltiness underlying.

M - This beer is medium bodied beer. Moderately carbonated, it's pretty smooth on the palate.

D - This one isn't for thirst quenching. It can be enjoyed very well with a nice meal and gives a satisfying experience in terms of beer and the lovable food flavors it posesses.

Notes - Give smoked beer a shot at least once. It's very unique and if you are looking for something different this is a great place to look. This beer has evoked words such as meat, wood, jerky etc. Aecht Schlenkerla Marzen is an earthy and hearty beer and probably the best of the Rauchbiers. This one is worth it.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

The beer pours a dark amber/brown color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It smells like beef jerky. I can't get enough of these beers! The taste is great as well. It has a deep, smokey flavor that's laid over pale and crystal malts. It goes down smooth with a dry lager yeast finish. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a damn fine beer. I love the aroma and taste. I wish this style was more available; a good drinker.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Had a half-liter bottle with my burger at the Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. I remembered this beer being super-smokey, and I was not mistaken. It's not like most American smoke beers, however, that drink like liquid bacon (not that that's a bad thing). This flavor is rich with smoked wood flavor more in line with what you get in home-made jerkey - it's a big, but smooth roasted taste that reminds you of a fireplace. The malt provide sweet, crust and caramel background, but mostly just props up the smoked beechwood. The body, despite the strong flavor, is very drinkable. Overall, this is a classic rauchbier.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Found this in a little store in Denver, not sure if I've ever seen it before. 1pt 6oz bottle.
Pours a very dark brown, just shy of black. Medium to small brown head, looks a bit thin when compared with the body. Used a Duvel snifter glass, wasn't sure which glass to use with a smoked beer.
Smell is amazing. A huge jerky smell, yet not so dry. That's really about it. Maybe some raisin.
Taste is liquid jerky, a bit of alcohol. Chewy, yet smooth. Is not as thick as it looks or smells. Drank very well. Good for pairing with grilled meats, I'd imagine

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a clear, dark amber color. 5/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong smoke, sweet malt, and slight roasted malt. Fits the style of a Rauchbier. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong smoke, slight roasted malt, sweet malt, slight yeast, and a hint of hop. Overall, good appearance, aroma, and body.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: pours a drak brown color with a 2" off-white colored head. Some mild lace develops.

Smell: loads of smokey goodness and caramel are pleasant on the nose.

Taste: caramel, some ripe dark fruits, and a moderate and well balanced smokey flavor. Bitterness is moderate.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Lightly crisp throughout with some dryness arriving late.

Drinkability: nicely drinkable beer that goes perfectly with BBQ. Easy to quaff this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a hazy reddish brown color with a tan head. The aroma is very smokey with some meaty notes. I also get a little dark fruit in the aroma. The flavor is smoke, roasted malt, chocolate, dark fruit and ash. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. This beer was similar to the Urbock, but I feel this one was a little less smoky, but also more complex in the flavor department.

4.44/5  rDev +9.4%

I had a big feast earlier tonight which includes 'lil smokies and bacon from a local German deli. There's a faint juicy smoke flavor on my tongue as I prepare myself for a match with this famous rauchbier. Well, on to it:

The whole bottle has filled my stange glass. A ruby brown color, hues of orange a the edges. Maybe it's more of a cola-brown. Good white head on top, solid retention. Smell: it's bacon! and...sausages! There's even a hint of chocolate underneath it, but compliments the smoke flavor well. My mouth is watering and I think my new kitten wants some.

Not even close to the intensity of the urbock, but certainly more easier going down. Perfumy smoked bacon flavor mostly, there is some marzen-like sweetness which goes with the smoke. Unsweetened chocolate emergres. I liked the taste before, but now I'm liking it more.

Who needs coffee stouts for breakfast when you can drink this instead? Or have this with a coffee stout for breakfast without having any food? Downright yummy....now I want more 'lil smokies and German deli bacon.

4.11/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle from the LCBO, 500ml into a pint glass.

Pours a dark brown/mahoghany, clear with a few fingers of eggshell head which leaves some good lace and moderate retention. Couldn't imagine how that could be improved, great look to it. Nose is smoked everything: ham, sausage and meats of all kinds. Barbecue-esque, with an underlying caramel sweetness of some sort to complement. Taste is smoke from the get-go, rich malts, barbecued and smoked meats on the palate are adequate but not extensive and overpowering. Smoke still in the finish, solid feel to it and I'd definitely have another. Can't wait for barbecue season to roll around, the pairings I'm coming up with as I drink this are driving me nuts.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Review from 5/2011 notes. Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Deep hazy, ruby red with a one finger, long lasting head. Smoky sweet malt aroma. Smoky with a light bitter malt start, somewhat dry light malt middle and smoky with a hint of hop finish. Light to medium bodied. Side-by-side with the urboch. The marzen does not show much of its malt body, smokiness is dominant throughout. I like the urbock better because it is more complex. This is a decent, light flavored rauchbier if the urbock is not available.

3.06/5  rDev -24.6%

Pours a dark brown color, nice carbonation, nice two finger creamy head which lasts a long time, nice sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is malty, smoked big time, toffee, and caramel. The taste is malty, smokey, with nice touch of caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, the taste reminds me of sardines, so because of this I would not buy again.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A very dark beer for a Marzen, a dark amber in color. This one is quite dry tasting, with a very pronounced smokiness to it. The dryness seems to accentuate and focus your tastebuds upon the smoke flavor. This beer has quite a good amount of Body, a certain fullness that comes through even though it is quite dry tasting. There is not much in the way of hop flavor, which is good, as it allows the subdued malt and, of course, the smoke to come through.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla