Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Ratings: 2,348 |  Reviews: 1,143

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark shade of chocolate brown with a huge white head. Excellent retention.
S: Campfire with some underlying maltyness. Not especially aromatic.
T: Rather than overpowering smokeyness, this starts out with smooth black maltyness and gently moves into the smoked flavors. Woody aspect is strong yet cohesive with the rest of the beer. Finish is short and fairly clean with a touch of bitterness and a slight mineral flavor.
M: Medium-bodied with modest carbonation. Smooth, easy feel.

Great beer all around with just the right amount of smokeyness.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear dark brown and topped with a sheet of pure white foam. Plenty of carbonation can be seen rising to the surface.

S: Smells like ham and smoky bar b'que sauce. underneath that specialty malt can be discerned. A truly complex nose.

T: The smoke hits the palate first but the taste is also quite complex. Underneath the smoke you get notes of caramel, and after that a nice hop bitterness comes into play. My only complaint is that the flavors seemed a little restrained.

M: Surprisingly light and crisp the Marzen side of this beer is most evident here.

O: A really solid brew I will be getting this again!

4.1/5  rDev +1%

1 pint 0.9 fl. oz. into tulip.

A: a deep brown/reddish hue. the red can be seen around the edges when held to the light. bustling off white head has good retention and lacing.

S: smells like a campfire on a crisp autumn day. the smoke reminds me of a cigar wrapper and leather. woody for sure.

T: the smoke is much milder than expected. a really nice play going on here between the roasted/caramel darker malts and the smoked base. reminds me of the crust on a wood fire grilled pizza. finish is dry.

M: moderately high carbonation on a medium body.

D: i call this smoke mild, but im sure to most this is still pretty smoky. great balance between smoked and non-smoked malts. the dry finish makes this brew easy for me to revisit.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before May 2012.

Pours a clear, dark copper-brown colour, with two fingers of creamy light tan-coloured head perched atop. Retention is decent; all of the head except for a thin cap is gone after a few minutes, and there is only modest lacing on the sides. Love the aroma on this stuff, it's like bacon or sausage roasting over a smoky campfire. Plenty of roasted malt character.

Some caramel malt sweetness is the first thing I pick up, but this is quickly overpowered by smoke and bacon. Bready roasted malts become more apparent toward the finish, and provide a bit of dryness in the aftertaste. That smoked meat and wood flavour lingers for quite a while, as well. Medium-bodied, maybe a little lighter than I'd prefer. Mild carbonation gives it a nice, relatively smooth mouthfeel.

Pretty tasty stuff, and definitely a nice change of pace from what I usually drink. I haven't had a lot of smoked beers, but it's not hard to see why this one is so highly acclaimed. I'll probably get this again at some point... except I have never seen it stocked at a local liquor store, so this might be my only bottle for quite a while.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Molasses-like in color, slightly transparent. There's a thin layer of off-white head that falls into a thin layer and stays. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: I don't know that I could walk into the room without smelling this beer. The smoke aroma is huge, bringing the smells of campfire and smoked bacon. Underneath that there's a sweetness, presumably from the malts.

T: The taste is really nice. I was a little skeptical after smelling the beer that it would taste like nothing but a campfire, but it's really well balanced. Sweet caramel malts up front, a flavor reminiscent of smoked ham follows, but then it fades fairly quickly and a hop bitterness brings the beer to a close. Leaves the mouth with a slightly smoky aftertaste.

M: Creamy and moderate-heavy body with a fair amount of carbonation.

O: This is what a smoked beer should taste like. The smoke is ever-present but not overwhelming. Obviously not for someone who's not a fan of the rauchbier style, it's by far the best that I've ever had.

.5L served in Pint glass.

Paired with the Bamberger Zweibel and a Schweinhaxen, this was a good choice.

A- Deep Black, One finger head, not a lot of retention, no lacing.

S- Lots of smoke, toasted malts.

T- Bready with lots of smoke. Has a touch of watered down liquid smoke aftertaste.

M- Full bodied with medium carbonation.

D- I've had these beer on several occasions on-tap and in the bottle but have never rated it. Among Rauchbeers this is the leader of the pack in terms of originality and taste. The beer however is relatively heavy and hard to drink more than a few without feeling weighed-down.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

A finger of offwhite foamy head, and a body that gradients from clearish brown to ruby. Retains some bubbles around the edges of the surface.

The nose is that of the quintessential rauch. After all, I suppose that's what this is. Completely definitive-- delicious, delicious smoky beechwood. Undertones of meat, bacon, roasty malt.

Smoky taste, though slightly more charred than the nose. Dryish with a surprising amount of hop bitterness for a German. I haven't tried this one in a while, but I'd say I've had tastier rauchs since. It's one of my favorite styles.

Mouthfeel is rather cola-y. Slightly finer, but not ideal.

Well dang-- I remembered this as better than it is now, etc. etc., story we've all heard (and told) before. I've just spoiled myself on the nicest rauchs I can get my hands on, I guess, but the original still stacks up.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

I haven't had this beer since I first started getting into craft beer and I hated it then. Since my tastes have evolved, it's time to give it another shot.

Pours a beautiful dark ruby with a healthy 1.5 inch head.

Smells of beef jerky, bacon and campfire. Wonderful aroma

It tastes extremely smoky but not in a bad way. Almost like drinking beef jerky. There is very little in the way of hops and just a small bit of malt on the back end. Smoke is the dominant flavor. A wonderful beer.

I am really glad I decided to try this again. Now I am wanting to try more rauchbiers and wish more were available.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla