Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen | Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla

Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla
Germany
schlenkerla.de

Style: Rauchbier

ABV may vary slightly year to year.

Bamberg's speciality, a dark, bottom fermented smokebeer, brewed with Original Schlenkerla Smokemalt from the Schlenkerla maltings and tapped according to old tradition directly from the gravity-fed oakwood cask in the historical brewery tavern.

Added by taez555 on 07-11-2001

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,335 |  Reviews: 1,139

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Dark shade of chocolate brown with a huge white head. Excellent retention.
S: Campfire with some underlying maltyness. Not especially aromatic.
T: Rather than overpowering smokeyness, this starts out with smooth black maltyness and gently moves into the smoked flavors. Woody aspect is strong yet cohesive with the rest of the beer. Finish is short and fairly clean with a touch of bitterness and a slight mineral flavor.
M: Medium-bodied with modest carbonation. Smooth, easy feel.

Great beer all around with just the right amount of smokeyness.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clear dark brown and topped with a sheet of pure white foam. Plenty of carbonation can be seen rising to the surface.

S: Smells like ham and smoky bar b'que sauce. underneath that specialty malt can be discerned. A truly complex nose.

T: The smoke hits the palate first but the taste is also quite complex. Underneath the smoke you get notes of caramel, and after that a nice hop bitterness comes into play. My only complaint is that the flavors seemed a little restrained.

M: Surprisingly light and crisp the Marzen side of this beer is most evident here.

O: A really solid brew I will be getting this again!

4.1/5  rDev +1%

1 pint 0.9 fl. oz. into tulip.

A: a deep brown/reddish hue. the red can be seen around the edges when held to the light. bustling off white head has good retention and lacing.

S: smells like a campfire on a crisp autumn day. the smoke reminds me of a cigar wrapper and leather. woody for sure.

T: the smoke is much milder than expected. a really nice play going on here between the roasted/caramel darker malts and the smoked base. reminds me of the crust on a wood fire grilled pizza. finish is dry.

M: moderately high carbonation on a medium body.

D: i call this smoke mild, but im sure to most this is still pretty smoky. great balance between smoked and non-smoked malts. the dry finish makes this brew easy for me to revisit.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

500 mL bottle from the LCBO; best before May 2012.

Pours a clear, dark copper-brown colour, with two fingers of creamy light tan-coloured head perched atop. Retention is decent; all of the head except for a thin cap is gone after a few minutes, and there is only modest lacing on the sides. Love the aroma on this stuff, it's like bacon or sausage roasting over a smoky campfire. Plenty of roasted malt character.

Some caramel malt sweetness is the first thing I pick up, but this is quickly overpowered by smoke and bacon. Bready roasted malts become more apparent toward the finish, and provide a bit of dryness in the aftertaste. That smoked meat and wood flavour lingers for quite a while, as well. Medium-bodied, maybe a little lighter than I'd prefer. Mild carbonation gives it a nice, relatively smooth mouthfeel.

Pretty tasty stuff, and definitely a nice change of pace from what I usually drink. I haven't had a lot of smoked beers, but it's not hard to see why this one is so highly acclaimed. I'll probably get this again at some point... except I have never seen it stocked at a local liquor store, so this might be my only bottle for quite a while.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Molasses-like in color, slightly transparent. There's a thin layer of off-white head that falls into a thin layer and stays. Almost no lacing to speak of.

S: I don't know that I could walk into the room without smelling this beer. The smoke aroma is huge, bringing the smells of campfire and smoked bacon. Underneath that there's a sweetness, presumably from the malts.

T: The taste is really nice. I was a little skeptical after smelling the beer that it would taste like nothing but a campfire, but it's really well balanced. Sweet caramel malts up front, a flavor reminiscent of smoked ham follows, but then it fades fairly quickly and a hop bitterness brings the beer to a close. Leaves the mouth with a slightly smoky aftertaste.

M: Creamy and moderate-heavy body with a fair amount of carbonation.

O: This is what a smoked beer should taste like. The smoke is ever-present but not overwhelming. Obviously not for someone who's not a fan of the rauchbier style, it's by far the best that I've ever had.

.5L served in Pint glass.

Paired with the Bamberger Zweibel and a Schweinhaxen, this was a good choice.

A- Deep Black, One finger head, not a lot of retention, no lacing.

S- Lots of smoke, toasted malts.

T- Bready with lots of smoke. Has a touch of watered down liquid smoke aftertaste.

M- Full bodied with medium carbonation.

D- I've had these beer on several occasions on-tap and in the bottle but have never rated it. Among Rauchbeers this is the leader of the pack in terms of originality and taste. The beer however is relatively heavy and hard to drink more than a few without feeling weighed-down.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

A finger of offwhite foamy head, and a body that gradients from clearish brown to ruby. Retains some bubbles around the edges of the surface.

The nose is that of the quintessential rauch. After all, I suppose that's what this is. Completely definitive-- delicious, delicious smoky beechwood. Undertones of meat, bacon, roasty malt.

Smoky taste, though slightly more charred than the nose. Dryish with a surprising amount of hop bitterness for a German. I haven't tried this one in a while, but I'd say I've had tastier rauchs since. It's one of my favorite styles.

Mouthfeel is rather cola-y. Slightly finer, but not ideal.

Well dang-- I remembered this as better than it is now, etc. etc., story we've all heard (and told) before. I've just spoiled myself on the nicest rauchs I can get my hands on, I guess, but the original still stacks up.

4.64/5  rDev +14.3%

I haven't had this beer since I first started getting into craft beer and I hated it then. Since my tastes have evolved, it's time to give it another shot.

Pours a beautiful dark ruby with a healthy 1.5 inch head.

Smells of beef jerky, bacon and campfire. Wonderful aroma

It tastes extremely smoky but not in a bad way. Almost like drinking beef jerky. There is very little in the way of hops and just a small bit of malt on the back end. Smoke is the dominant flavor. A wonderful beer.

I am really glad I decided to try this again. Now I am wanting to try more rauchbiers and wish more were available.

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

This was the first smoked beer I ever tried. I didn't know what to expect, but after some preliminary research, it sounded like it would taste like some kind of meat. Granted, I prefer my beer to taste like beer, but I was intrigued! So in the name of learning, I took the plunge. In addition to trying a new type of beer, I also decided to try pairing cheese with the beer. I picked up a cave-aged Gruyere, which was a pairing recommendation for smoked beers.

The almost-black beer had a frothy off-white crown. The aroma that met my nose was a wonderful bacon or smoked sausage, which literally made my mouth water. Surprisingly, the first sip that met my tongue was less meat and more lager. As the crisp flavor began its descent, the aftertaste was reminiscent of that first smell of bacon, this time with a hint of wood. I was impressed that while the brew had a definite meat flavor, it was still very much a lager.

After a few more sips, I tried pairing it with the Gruyere and found that they indeed mixed well together. The blend of beer and cheese made for a sensational burst of flavor in my mouth with the Rauchbier fizzing around the cheese. The cheese enhanced the flavor of the smoked meat but in a refreshing way.

All in all, I was glad for the chance to expand the horizon on my journey to learn more about beer. If you've never tried a smoked beer before, it's definitely worthwhile to experience the flavor at least once. However, I would recommend picking up a single bottle to try. While I would partake of a smoked beer again, it's not on my "must drink again soon" list.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

Popped into a local pub last night because they were having a two week Octoberfest type thing: pleased I did because there were bottles of this for £3.20.

Sadly they didn't have any of the correct glasses or steins, so I poured it into a Beck's Vier glass which actually suited it well. It showed off the body and head nicely and allowed the smoky aromas to waft out.

Really is an acquired taste and my wife hates this beer (we've been to Bamberg a few times). I am not a smoked bacon guy, nor do I smoke or eat much smoked ham or cheeses, but I do like this beer.

Photo of
4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Bangers & Lace in Chicago.

Appearance - ruby-tinted dark brown with a smnall, frothy cap.

Smell - Dominated by a smooth smokiness. It is the kind of smokiness you would encounter in a nice smoked cheddar or sausage; it's dominant, but not overpowering. There is a hint of malt sweetness in there, too, but it's all about the smoke.

Mouthfeel - Full bodied and nicely carbonated for a very smooth and creamy texture.

Taste - The smoke is upfront again, but not as dominant as in the smell. Sweet malts and a hint of hops bitterness provide some balance.

I enjoyed this beer. I'm not sure I woud want to drink it all the time, but is is unique and very well-made.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

This one and the Urbock are my two favorite from Schlenkerla. I might have to go with this one though. I might be being bias too. I love Marzen and this is an interesting twist. On the other hand the smokiness sort of drowns out some of the traditional Marzen traits. It has a dark brown body with a bit of orange hue. The aroma is not as Marzen like; this is the main thing that takes a backseat to the smokiness in the beer. It has that old smokehouse scent just like all their beers. The taste is meaty and there is subtle sweet roasted malt flavor before the smoke sets in. The body is medium and this is a great heavy meal beer.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Ordered this on tap at Nocturnem Draft Haus in Bangor, Maine. A giant pour arrived in a tall glass handled mug as big as my head, and perfect for this October afternoon.

Rich dark chestnut brown, but not totally opaque. An off-white loose two finger head settled quickly. Lots of smoke and wood in the nose. Smells like bacon & smoked meats. The taste is more smoke and bacon. Liquid barbecue. This tastes delicious, but is just a little too watery for me. Something doesn't seem quite right. It might just be that I'm not used to the style. I love the nose, and the flavor, but it's not 100% satisfying.

Crisp and clean mouthfeel, with a decent medium carbonation.

Could be my senses aren't ready for these flavors in a beverage. But in reviewing the style, I think it's a top notch representation. Lots of Smoke & Wood, and not much else.

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

wow, like drinking a campfire. pours a slightly transparent deep brown with a really active and frothy head, fine lacing too, rich looking, hearty. smells like a scotch ale on steroids, peat smoke? mmmm. extremely intense smoke smell and smoke flavor through and through, almost beyond malt driven, earthy and extreme. on the heavier side of medium bodied, insanely unique beer. never had anything quite like this, could imagine it going amazing with some grilled pork loin. perhaps a little bit limited by the season, but a really robust smoked beer for those who dig them. a must try this fall...

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

this was poured into a big stein. Pours a rich and dark orange color with a nice and smaller head

really good and complex nose of smoke, malts, oranges and some bits of caramel as well

rich but smooth medium/full feel with deep tones. Shows off more of a malty side, though the smoke is very much there as well

This was perfect for an afternoon of grilling. The smoke added another level of complexity to the beer along with the good depth and complexity to begin with. This was a really good beer that was very easy to drink

4.27/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Mahogany, Dark, but I can see through it. I had a two finger off-white soapy head that didn't stick around very long.

S - Bacon, Bacon and Smoked Bacon.... My god, this smells like liquid bacon. I love bacon !

T - The first gulp took me off guard, I was not prepared. Tons of smoke. You taste the meat - this beer begs to be enjoyed with a nice BBQ. Lucky me, my wife made ribs tonight.

M - Medium, coats the inside of your mouth and lingers a bit

O - Did I mention this beer tastes like liquid bacon? If you like bacon I don't see how you wouldn't love this beer. It's only like 5.1% I could easily do another 3 or 4 of these back to back. If you have never had a smoked beer (like me before this one) then the aroma is unlike anything you have experienced with a beer and the taste does NOT disappoint.

Enjoy.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

On-tap at Redlight Redlight in Orlando.

Poured a clear, dark brown with a fluffy khaki-colored head. Wonderfully smoky aromas mingle with dark German malts, and a distinctive baked brown bread character. Smoke is very nice, walks the line between "campfire" and "meat" nicely. Taste is quite similar to the nose, the smoke character is delicate and sweet, and compliments the bready malt profile nicely. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, with a touch-over-medium body and good carbonation. I could easily sip on this all day, anytime, but on a cool Fall day? Nothing is better.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%

500mL bottle (no dates or codes) poured into a weizen glass. Caramel brown color, perfectly clear, with a nice fluffy beige head and fine carbonation.

Aroma is pungent, sweet beech smoke - smells like a campfire.

Taste is less smoky than the nose. Nice caramel malt and fruity sweetness with the smoke rounding out the edges.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, balanced. Nice clean round finish; smoky bitterness has a slightly numbing effect on the tongue. Goes down smooth like a porter.

Overall a really nice marriage of two styles, one of my favorite Oktoberfests every year.

4.06/5  rDev 0%

I had this on cask at Max's, poured into a tasting glass.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous reddish amber with just a layer of off white head and great retention.

Smell: Smells like smoked meat and dark fruit along with some more smoke.

Taste: Less smokey than the smell, bready malt shows up in the middle of each sip with a smokey hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with hardly any carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Great looking beer, the smoke was strong, but not completely overpowering. I'd have another. I was excited to see this on cask.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a black brownish color which only allows light around the edges with a tan one finger head. The head gives way to gobs of lace up and down the glass. The aroma has a big smoky aroma. The smoke smells like a camp fire with some spice present. The taste follows suit with a caramel malt backbone and then a big smokey flavor. The bbq flavor along with spice and beef jerky become more pronounced. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall a great beer, nice big smokey aroma and flavor. The beer becomes more enjoyable as you go.

4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours dark brown with a mocha head that fades fast. Smell has huge smoke with some sweet notes. The smoke flavor is layered, a mix between barbecue and fireplace. The flavor starts somewhat sweet and moves into the smoke flavor which isn't overpowering but still the main focus. The smoke lingers in the aftertaste and stays on the palette. The mouthfeel is medium/light, smooth and enjoyable. Overall a great beer, the smoke was done well with the complex flavor.

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Märzen from Brauerei Heller-Trum / Schlenkerla